OT: 2021 Blue Jays/MLB season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
I’m rooting for the Yankees to beat the Sox and set up a re-match with Tampa, that would be another awesome series. I hate to even say it but heck, I might even cheer for the Yankees to make it out of this side of the bracket. Something about the Rays really just rubs me the wrong way.

On the NL side I agree it looks that the Dodgers are favourites again but I really hope San Fran can continue to prove everyone wrong and make it past them should they beat St Louis.

Side note but you were right about the Padres, I was convinced they would be a top team this year but they just could not at all put it together. Another Very disappointing season for that club.

I changed my mind about you. You're not as misguided a person as I thought.:laugh:;)

Agreed on all points. Padres are a very talented group, but I think some injuries derailed them, and they didn't have the depth to recover. And then the Dodgers just go out and get Matt Freaking Scherzer. Nice.

Reactions: MuzzaFuzza

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
Nice effort, and great charts and info, but just too many teams for me. ;)

An to each their own, but I do not understand how teams going decades between playoff appearance is a good thing. Currently there are 2 teams that have not made the playoffs in 10 or more years the Phillies (10) and Mariners (21). Now there would be more active playoff droughts if not for the expanded playoffs last year like Miami (17), San Diego (14), White Sox (12). Even the expansion of the playoff format in 1995 and 2012 to include the 2 wild cards still hasn't help to end these droughts (especially when 1 spot is owned by NY or Boston or both)

30 years for Montreal/Washington (81-12)
28 years for KC (85-14)
25 years for Milwaukee (82-08)
21 years for Toronto (93-15)
20 years for Pittsburgh (92-13)
20 years for Seattle (01-current)
18 years for Detroit (87-06)
16 years for Florida/Miami (03-20)
15 years for California/Anaheim (86-02)

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Well, that was short playoff run for my Yanks.:laugh:Looks like they got "bad Cole" last night. Couldn't even make it out of the 3rd inning. Unfortunately, "good Cole" and "bad Cole" both make the same $$$'s. Two of the biggest games of the year (last one against the Jays and then last night), and he completely shits the bed. Not a big game pitcher at all, proving he was just a complimentary 3rd piece in Houston behind studs Verlander and Morton.

This team is so badly constructed, it's not funny. Way too many home run or nothing types, and hardly any contact hitters. They needed left handed bats, and they go out and get Rizzo. Okay, good move, as he is solid at first base and a good contact hitter besides being a leftie. But Joey Gallo? One more slow clod to homer every once in 15 tries and nothing else. While the red hot Luke Voit suddenly got demoted to bench duty. Fire both Cashman and Boone, please.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Sox with a massive win. 20 hits for the Sox tonight! Series tied going back to Boston.
Didn't see that coming from the Sox, good for them, good for you! Amazing how baseball is probably the best sport where you can reverse momentum completely in a 24 hour period.

Reactions: tardigrade81

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Didn't see that coming from the Sox, good for them, good for you! Amazing how baseball is probably the best sport where you can reverse momentum completely in a 24 hour period.
So true man! It’s amazing how baseball can work out like that. Only trouble with the Sox is they do this and then get shut out the next game lmao.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
Anyone watch the Rays get jobbed there?

Runner on first is going. Batter hits a double. Ball bounces off the wall, off the ground, off the fielder and over the wall out of play.

Call is a ground rule double and run gets taken off the board.

Edit: Some talk that the rule was applied correctly but yikes. I'd be pissed as a Rays fan about that one.

“If a fair ball not in flight is deflected by a fielder and then goes out of play, the award is two bases from the time of the pitch.”

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
Anyone watch the Rays get jobbed there?

Runner on first is going. Batter hits a double. Ball bounces off the wall, off the ground, off the fielder and over the wall out of play.

Call is a ground rule double and run gets taken off the board.

Edit: Some talk that the rule was applied correctly but yikes. I'd be pissed as a Rays fan about that one.
It was a bad call NO DOUBT about it!
But that is not the reason they lost and I’m not just saying this because. I am a Sox fan. We got them out on the very next batter. That play would have brought it one run that’s it. We scored a two run homer so it would have ended the game regardless.

with that said, Tampa didn’t get jobbed. MLB said that is the rule. If it goes off the player it’s a double. I also don’t agree with it but a rule is a rule. The Sox would have won regardless.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
But that is not the reason they lost and I’m not just saying this because. I am a Sox fan. We got them out on the very next batter. That play would have brought it one run that’s it. We scored a two run homer so it would have ended the game regardless.

with that said, Tampa didn’t get jobbed. MLB said that is the rule. If it goes off the player it’s a double. I also don’t agree with it but a rule is a rule. The Sox would have won regardless.

I don't know.

Momentum is a real thing and an RBI triple changes to the flow of the game entirely. Rays would have probably brought in a new pitcher in a save situation and pitched the situation differently. It's unreasonable to expect things to turn out exactly the same as they did.

A rule is a rule but Rays still got jobbed on that one.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I don't know.

Momentum is a real thing and an RBI triple changes to the flow of the game entirely. Rays would have probably brought in a new pitcher in a save situation and pitched the situation differently. It's unreasonable to expect things to turn out exactly the same as they did.

A rule is a rule but Rays still got jobbed on that one.
Fair enough. Guess we won’t know how it turned out. I don’t agree with the rule myself but until it changes, that has to be called for any time regardless if it’s the Sox or the Pirates or anyone. They will likely look at the rule next year my guess is. I can’t remember the last time this has happened so it probably was never a factor to look at it haha. It definitely played into the Sox hands and helped them out so I was happy. I know most people outside of Sox nation will be pissed though. Just comes with the territory.

If it was the Jays in that game, fans would be saying the same thing I am. A rule is a rule. But doesn’t make it any better I guess. Still stinks for the Rays

oh Well. Too bad so sad. Go Sox go!!!!!!!

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008

I would have to disagree with you on the bolded, man. The umps obviously were not sure, so they did the right thing and went to the rule book, and it clearly states the rule, and then they applied it. It may seem shitty, but the call was absolutely correct. Tough luck for the Rays.
And I don't think the Sox win regardless. I could definitely see the Rays getting the 3 outs they needed to close it, but we'll never know now.

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Fair enough. Guess we won’t know how it turned out. I don’t agree with the rule myself but until it changes, that has to be called for any time regardless if it’s the Sox or the Pirates or anyone. They will likely look at the rule next year my guess is. I can’t remember the last time this has happened so it probably was never a factor to look at it haha. It definitely played into the Sox hands and helped them out so I was happy. I know most people outside of Sox nation will be pissed though. Just comes with the territory.

If it was the Jays in that game, fans would be saying the same thing I am. A rule is a rule. But doesn’t make it any better I guess. Still stinks for the Rays

oh Well. Too bad so sad. Go Sox go!!!!!!!
I dunno how it can be anything but that rule. Whose to say any ball off of a player was going to be a triple? Or a double? Or an inside the park HR. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I dunno how it can be anything but that rule. Whose to say any ball off of a player was going to be a triple? Or a double? Or an inside the park HR. You gotta draw the line somewhere.

The line for a ground rule double is already drawn and set it stone but I don't agree that a ball put out of play by a fielder is the same as a typical ground rule double and
it should therefore not be treated the same.

I seem ridiculous to me that the rule is 2 bases from the time of the pitch rather than two bases from the base last touched. How does that make any sense at all?

I think it was the right call but I also think a terribly written rule was exposed at a critical time in the playoffs for the MLB and I'd be surprised if this is the last we hear about it.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton
The play absolutely sucks for the Rays as the runner would have scored on the play if it had stayed in play, but this has been a fairly common scene throughout baseball that a ground rule double stopped that runner at first from scoring. what happened there where it hit off the wall, off the ground, off the player then over the wall would have only happed in Boston where they have that extremely short wall in Right Field. The rule isn't broken, it was applied correctly. It just sucks for Tampa.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Beautiful bunt to put the potential series winning run into scoring position. Small ball is not dead!!

Get wrecked Tampa, can't stand the Rays.

Last edited:

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
The line for a ground rule double is already drawn and set it stone but I don't agree that a ball put out of play by a fielder is the same as a typical ground rule double and

I seem ridiculous to me that the rule is 2 bases from the time of the pitch rather than two bases from the base last touched. How does that make any sense at all?

I think it was the right call but I also think a terribly written rule was exposed at a critical time in the playoffs for the MLB and I'd be surprised if this is the last we hear about it.
Ok. I’ll bite. Whose to say it’s not an inside the park HR? Or a double? You’ve gotta take subjectivity out of it. So it’s gotta be either a double. A triple. Or an inside the park. Take your pick.

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
I would have to disagree with you on the bolded, man. The umps obviously were not sure, so they did the right thing and went to the rule book, and it clearly states the rule, and then they applied it. It may seem shitty, but the call was absolutely correct. Tough luck for the Rays.
And I don't think the Sox win regardless. I could definitely see the Rays getting the 3 outs they needed to close it, but we'll never know now.
Regardless. Bad call or not. I’m happy

Sox we’re projected to be a .500 team. Rays owned the Sox this year. After the Sox won the first series Tampa went 11-5 against them. Sox dismantled them in game two, and won a thrilling game 4. Whooop!!!!!!!

GO SOX GO!!!

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007

It seem ridiculous to me that the rule is 2 bases from the time of the pitch rather than two bases from the base last touched. How does that make any sense at all?

Since the human eye can only focus on one thing at a time, any umpire in the infield can't look at the runner and when the ball left the field of play at the same time and make that determination. Same with the line crew, they're watching the play and not the base runners for balls hit to the outfield so it's easiest to rule two bases from the base last occupied when the pitch was thrown.

Yes games have been televised for more than a half century so instant replay and all that would determine where the runner was when the ball left the field of play but on the other hand, baseball is a lengthy enough game as it is without slowing it down further. Personally, I think the rule is fine as it is. This was an extremely rare occurrence to have happened in this particular game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad