2021-22 ECHL Season Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

SemireliableSource

Liter-a-cola
Sep 30, 2006
HSV
Frank the Tank + ECHL is a winner!

Good ol Tnak. It's sad to see him being exploited like this. I'm very familiar with him from another board I frequent before he got banned after a very egregious meltdown a few years ago. If he lost internet access for the rest of his life, his mental health would improve exponentially.

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
I went to the K Wings vs Fuel game yesterday, I've watched quite a bit of ECHL this year. The K Wings have a pretty good home crowd, I didn't know what to expect from the crowd but there seemed to be no shortage of passionate fans. I watched a defenseman on the Fuel lose track of the puck at least 4-5 times that game while it was right in his feet two of those times and he was oblivious. The last time he lost track of the puck I was fully expecting it to happen, and when it did I swear I was about to rip my hair out in the stands. Nobody really stood out on the K Wings in a good way, but there were 3 forwards, all on different lines, who I thought looked super dangerous for the Fuel. Mandat is obviously a super intelligent player, he was sneaking in to dangerous scoring areas every shift and potted the first two goals of the game. I think the ECHL is a temporary stay for him, he easily has the brains to cut it in the AHL. Eick is small, but quick and obviously a pro hockey veteran and a leader on the team. He was directing traffic all game and although he has a pretty short stride, his feet move incredibly fast and he picks up speed quick. Bellant didn't get much ice time but made plays and was easily noticeable in good ways every time he stepped on the ice wether it was a big hit, nice shot, some dangles, or a burst of speed that got his jersey rippling in the wind. I have also watched a bit of SPHL this year and I realized why some call it the "Stop Playing Hockey League".

Reactions: JMCx4

Bondurant

Jul 4, 2012
Phoenix, Arizona
I went to the K Wings vs Fuel game yesterday, I've watched quite a bit of ECHL this year. The K Wings have a pretty good home crowd, I didn't know what to expect from the crowd but there seemed to be no shortage of passionate fans. I watched a defenseman on the Fuel lose track of the puck at least 4-5 times that game while it was right in his feet two of those times and he was oblivious. The last time he lost track of the puck I was fully expecting it to happen, and when it did I swear I was about to rip my hair out in the stands. Nobody really stood out on the K Wings in a good way, but there were 3 forwards, all on different lines, who I thought looked super dangerous for the Fuel. Mandat is obviously a super intelligent player, he was sneaking in to dangerous scoring areas every shift and potted the first two goals of the game. I think the ECHL is a temporary stay for him, he easily has the brains to cut it in the AHL. Eick is small, but quick and obviously a pro hockey veteran and a leader on the team. He was directing traffic all game and although he has a pretty short stride, his feet move incredibly fast and he picks up speed quick. Bellant didn't get much ice time but made plays and was easily noticeable in good ways every time he stepped on the ice wether it was a big hit, nice shot, some dangles, or a burst of speed that got his jersey rippling in the wind. I have also watched a bit of SPHL this year and I realized why some call it the "Stop Playing Hockey League".
Kalamazoo Wings have been around a long time. Good fans, tradition and they have had some notable players. Rob Brown had a big year there. When I was a kid the coach was Ken Hitchcock.

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
Care to provide details on the gap between the leagues?

cjm502

Bingo Bango!
Jun 22, 2010
Mid Michigan
Care to provide details on the gap between the leagues?
It's just a massive gap in sheer ability of the players, and one might be able to argue its a bigger gap then the ECHL and the AHL which is unusual since each step up is exponentially more difficult then the previous step. It becomes extremely evident when you watch the powerplay, the puck movement when up a man between the SPHL and ECHL is absolutely night and day. A few weeks ago I was gaming with over half of an SPHL team all in one lobby, all the boys were running their mouths giving eachother shit in a funny yet competitive manner. After I won a round I said something along the lines of "you guys are already in the Stop Playing Hockey League, maybe you should quit playing fortnite too". They all laughed and had no argument against what was said:laugh:

JMCx4

Welcome to: The Dumbing Down Era of HFBoards
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... A few weeks ago I was gaming with over half of an SPHL team all in one lobby, all the boys were running their mouths giving eachother shit in a funny yet competitive manner. After I won a round I said something along the lines of "you guys are already in the Stop Playing Hockey League, maybe you should quit playing fortnite too". They all laughed and had no argument against what was said:laugh:
Your sports psychology degree is going to waste with that crowd. :huh:

Reactions: wildcat48

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Holmstrom Reaches 700th Professional Game

by Travis Rogers
January 23, 2022

NORTH CHARLESTON, S.C. - Ben Holmstrom has reached a career milestone that only a select few minor league hockey players will ever attain, 700 professional career games. Hockey can be an unforgiving sport. Injuries can end careers in the blink of an eye. Rules on veteran players in the AHL and ECHL squeeze many older players out of the game in North America and force them to choose between leaving family and friends behind to play in Europe or walking away from the game and into retirement. Some are lured away by the stability of a stereotypical 9-5 job, while other players chase their hockey dream for years only to find that they have lost their love of the game along the way and with it, their desire to play.

Ben Holmstrom is different. The 12th year professional feels lucky and happy, to still be doing the thing that he loves most. ...

Read more at: Holmstrom Reaches 700th Professional Game

CrazyEddie20

Jun 26, 2007
Back of a cop car
Not unusual for ECHL transaction postings to lag by a couple of days. Especially under extraordinary circumstances - which I hope this is.

Transactions received by the league office after noon ET are reported the next day. There's never a multi-day lag.

I know this because I have faxed in transactions to the league on multiple occasions.

Reactions: wildcat48 and JMCx4

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Transactions received by the league office after noon ET are reported the next day. There's never a multi-day lag.

I know this because I have faxed in transactions to the league on multiple occasions.
But getting those transactions posted on ECHL.com where @jabberoski can see them is a whole 'nother timeline.

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
Lol must be I was up in Glenn Falls for work and caught a Railers vs Thunder game and both ways there was missed calls lol the play wasnt great either but with covid sit outs what do expect right. lol
Tell me you didn't wear your Royals gear? That's a hockey fashion offense punishable by a beatdown from the home mascot.

Reactions: Roadhog

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
ECHL TODAY - JAN. 29

5 hours ago

Reading Royals (18-5-6) at Maine Mariners (15-15-4) 6 p.m. ET
  • Reading’s Garrett McFadden scored his first pro goal in last night’s win at Adirondack.
  • Maine’s Pascal Laberge is on a four-game goal streak (5g).
  • Royals are 8-1-1 in their last 10 games.
  • Mariners lead the league on the power play at 29.8 percent (30-for-104).
Trois-Rivières Lions (16-11-1) at Adirondack Thunder (14-16-2) 7 p.m. ET
  • Trois-Rivières’ Olivier Galipeau is tied for eighth among defensemen with 80 shots on goal.
  • Adirondack’s Patrick Grasso is tied for seventh among rookies with 12 goals.
  • Lions are 13-2-0 when scoring first.
  • Thunder are 10-0-0 when leading after two periods.
Florida Everblades (21-12-6) at Greenville Swamp Rabbits (12-15-6) 7:05 p.m. ET
  • Florida’s Xavier Bouchard is second among defensemen in plus-minus at +21.
  • Greenville’s Nikita Pavlychev has three goals in his last three games.
  • Everblades have outscored their opponents 44-29 in the first period.
  • Swamp Rabbits are 8-3-2 when leading after two periods.
Fort Wayne Komets (19-13-4) at Worcester Railers (14-17-2) 7:05 p.m. ET
  • Fort Wayne’s Lynden McCallum has four goals in his last three games.
  • Worcester’s Cole Coskey has seven points (4g-3a) in his last five games.
  • Komets have outscored their opponents 48-29 in the third period.
  • Railers are 10-0-2 when leading after two periods.
Wheeling Nailers (19-17-1) at Toledo Walleye (25-8-2) 7:15 p.m. ET
  • Wheeling’s Chris Ortiz leads rookie defensemen with nine goals.
  • Toledo’s Conlan Keenan has six points (2g-4a) in his last five games.
  • Nailers are 4-0-1 in games decided in overtime or a shootout.
  • Walleye are 12-2-1 at home, outscoring their opponents 65-40.
South Carolina Stingrays (13-21-4) at Norfolk Admirals (13-19-2) 7:30 p.m. ET
  • Derek Gentile leads South Carolina against the Admirals with three goals and six points.
  • Norfolk’s Matt Carey has nine points (3g-6a) in his last five games.
  • Stingrays are 7-2-0 when outshooting their opponent.
  • Admirals are 5-0-2 in games decided in overtime or a shootout.
Indy Fuel (17-17-4) at Cincinnati Cyclones (21-16-1) 7:35 p.m. ET
  • Indy’s Karl El-Mir has eight points (5g-3a) in his last seven games.
  • Justin Vaive leads Cincinnati against the Fuel with three goals.
  • Fuel are 9-1-1 when leading after one period.
  • Cyclones are fifth with 28.55 shots-against per game.
Kalamazoo Wings (20-16-0) at Iowa Heartlanders (15-19-6) 7 p.m. CT
  • Kalamazoo’s Zach Jordan is on a five-game point streak (5g-2a).
  • Iowa’s Jack Billings is tied for sixth among rookies with 27 points (12g-15a).
  • K-Wings have had a league-low two games decided in overtime or a shootout.
  • Heartlanders are 13-2-0 when scoring first.
Newfoundland Growlers (17-8-2) at Allen Americans (15-15-5) 7:05 p.m. CT
  • Newfoundland’s Noel Hoefenmayer leads defensemen with a 22.7 percent shooting percentage (5-for-22).
  • Allen’s Jack Combs has nine points (4g-5a) in his last seven games.
  • Growlers are third with nine shorthanded goals.
  • Americans are 8-1-0 when outshooting their opponent.
Tulsa Oilers (21-15-1) at Wichita Thunder (13-21-5) 7:05 p.m. CT
  • Carson Denomie leads Tulsa against the Thunder with four goals.
  • Wichita’s Brayden Watts is tied for second with 26 assists.
  • Oilers are 4-0-1 in games decided in overtime or a shootout.
  • Thunder are third on the penalty kill at 84.5 percent (120-for-142).
Kansas City Mavericks (18-20-1) at Idaho Steelheads (22-16-1) 7:10 p.m. MT
  • Kansas City’s Nick Pastujov is tied for seventh with 37 points (16g-21a).
  • Idaho’s Mason Mitchell has three goals in his last two games.
  • Mavericks are 7-0-0 when leading after one period.
  • Steelheads are second on the power play at home at 30.0 percent (21-for-70).

Last edited:

JMCx4

Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
It's that time of the month ... to look at the ECHL standings ... :popcorn:

ECHL North Standings (1 Feb 2022).jpg
ECHL South Standings (1 Feb 2022).jpg
ECHL Central Standings (1 Feb 2022).jpg
ECHL Mountain Standings (1 Feb 2022).jpg

Not-So-Deep Thoughts:
  1. Three of the four Conference leaders surprise me (Toledo in the Central being the exception). Is Reading on the path to a deep playoff run, after several seasons of one-and-out (or simply out) results? Can Jacksonville manage to keep ahead of (or at least keep pace with) the inevitable passing move by the Everblades? Is Utah for real, or does the Mountain Division just suck?
  2. Looks like Dean MacDonald has two of his three teams playing competitive hockey. I'm glad I saw the Heartlanders play at home early in the season, before the new car smell wore off.
  3. The Glads are making noise in the South after sitting out 2020-21. Maybe all the talk of an AHL franchise coming to town has boosted their enthusiasm?
  4. BREAKING NEWS: Neither Kalamazoo NOR Wheeling have folded up their community tents, and they are competing for the 4th playoff spot in the Central.

Onward to February!

Last edited:

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA

View attachment 503992 View attachment 503993 View attachment 503994 View attachment 503995

Not-So-Deep Thoughts:
  1. Three of the four Conference leaders surprise me (Toledo in the Central being the exception). Is Reading on the path to a deep playoff run, after several seasons of one-and-out (or simply out) results? Can Jacksonville manage to keep ahead of (or at least keep pace with) the inevitable passing move by the Everblades? Is Utah for real, or does the Mountain Division just suck?
  2. Looks like Dean MacDonald has two of his three teams playing competitive hockey. I'm glad I saw the Heartlanders play at home early in the season, before the new car smell wore off.
  3. The Glads are making noise in the South after sitting out 2020-21. Maybe all the talk of an AHL franchise coming to town has boosted their enthusiasm?
  4. BREAKING NEWS: Neither Kalamazoo NOR Wheeling have folded up their community tents, and they are competing for the 4th playoff spot in the Central.

Onward to February!
1. Utah just made a Southeast road trip and played one against Florida and two against Orlando. They lost against the Everblades who have been struggling themselves as well as split the series in Orlando with both games going to OT. I think Utah is overrated.
2. I think the Heartlanders are primed to make a push for the playoffs. This is the best hockey they have played all season. They are only 6 points out of a playoff spot in a competitive Central division and have a record above .500 in their last ten, putting them on the right track. Must have just taken some time for the team to gel. We won't get into their abysmal attendance.
3. This is some of the best hockey that I have seen the Gladiators play in a long time. They are picking up right where they left off before the covid shutdown (ended on a ten game point streak), and they are currently riding an 8 game home win streak, tied for third longest in franchise history. More news about the AHL team is supposedly coming in the next month or so. Cannot say too much about that
4. The Central is the most competitive division right now. It will be interesting to see which teams get hot going down the stretch to make the playoffs. I still say you will see all three of Dean's teams in the playoffs this year.

Atlantian

Dec 13, 2017
Atlanta, GA
What are everyone's opinions here on how long Iowa lasts?
Now that football season is over, I am waiting to see how attendance increases before making a judgement. They just had their second highest attendance mark this season at 2,744 on 1/29. This along with the fact that leaguewide attendance is down this year makes me hopeful that it is just a temporary thing. That being said, it is this teams inaugural season in a brand new building in a city that has not previously hosted professional hockey. Attendance should definitely be higher. If they continue like this, they last three seasons. If you do not count the Growlers (due to their various arena and restriction troubles this season), the Heartlanders are sitting at second from the bottom in attendance with 1,845 per game, just 245 more than the Wheeling Nailers. I believe that if they put a good product on the ice for the remainder of the season and market their playoff push, they can turn that number around. There are still 16 more home games.

royals119

Jun 12, 2006
West Lawn, PA
What are everyone's opinions here on how long Iowa lasts?
It's hard to say without knowing the terms of his deal with the city/arena. Obviously he is losing money operating the team at those numbers. Just with the players salaries alone, and it doesn't appear he is skimping on costs. They hired the Royals radio guy away by paying him more money, and they brought the ex-commissioner out of retirement, which couldn't have been cheap. I'm assuming the front office salaries overall are at or above league average. Maybe the arena deal is for super low rent for hockey and he also gets to run their concert business, parking and food/beverage? If so, there could potentially be enough money there to keep the whole operation profitable even if the team loses money. Doesn't seem likely for a brand new, small building in a small town, but who knows? He certainly knew what he was getting into from his experience with the Growlers, and he has said publicly that he would like to own/operate the building in St John's, so maybe that' what he's doing in Iowa.

GindyDraws

#HutchOut
Mar 13, 2014
Indianapolis

View attachment 503992 View attachment 503993 View attachment 503994 View attachment 503995

Not-So-Deep Thoughts:

Onward to February!

As a Fuel fan, I get so tired of lounging around the "not good enough to compete" category. Endlessly playing against arguably three of the best teams in the ECHL year after year does not help, but only two playoff appearances and one postseason victory after 8 seasons is starting to wear on the fanbase, especially after seeing yet another Komets championship.

Reactions: JMCx4

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad