Prospect Info: 2021-2022 Prospect Info

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
I didnt feel like digging down for the Puistola thread but he is on a redemption run this season. The trade to Jukurit has done well for him. JYP isnt any good as they are dead last and Jukurit is 6th. Side note: should speak well for Honka.

Puistola is getting almost 15 minutes a game. He has 9 goals and 5 assists in 28 games with Jukurit. He has scored 3 goals in his last 5 games and 5 goals in his last 10 game

League (liiga.fi) Here is the game link and you can see the goal from 1/7 under events. Pretty nice wrister on the pp to beat the goalie on the PP.

Another side note, Kouvinen scored and had an assist on the PP in this game. The goal was a funny bounce from a shot that VK tipped out of the air into the net. Im not sure how he factored into the other PP goal.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
So Koivunen and Puistola are the next Aho and Selanne, yes?
I wonder which Finnish prospects we give a look next season is the question.

Honka, Tieksola, Puistola, and Koivunen? I assume the later gets one more year in Liiga. The other three are in their 20s. I think we need to see what we have in the older three. They haven’t been a part of a prospect camp in a long time because of the C.

The Swedish prospects all get another year more than likely.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Puistola is quickly climbing back into the serious contract conversation. I wouldn’t be surprised to see us move the older prospects like Bokk and Cotton to make room for a couple of these guys during a playoff run.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
part of the downside in having an absolute glut of b level prospects is that it's hard to get a solid grasp of where they are by the time you have to make the final call on them. they've had some cases they've won decisively like saarela, kuokannen, and gauthier and a few that really hurt with nicolas roy, luostarianen, and bean. the ultimate downside to brind'amour's preference for immediate comptency is that it doesn't allow for much in the way of growing for the kids that come up. even some of our "wins" like geekie and foegele end up leaving for more opportunity. now we have a new generation of kids on the cusp of being pushed out with suzuki, cotton, rees, and bokk on the chopping block. there's a player or two in there as well but we just don't have the ice time to find out. keane is another that will be hard to work in.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
A lot of folks seem to think that the brain trust would be comfortable trading Suzuki for a rental. I just don’t see it.

Not too long ago, reports were that they were very high on him. I doubt that has changed. Also, the kid hasn’t played in months and has a mystery injury. His value has to be low due to this. I don’t see them selling low on an asset they have really liked in the past.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
part of the downside in having an absolute glut of b level prospects is that it's hard to get a solid grasp of where they are by the time you have to make the final call on them. they've had some cases they've won decisively like saarela, kuokannen, and gauthier and a few that really hurt with nicolas roy, luostarianen, and bean. the ultimate downside to brind'amour's preference for immediate comptency is that it doesn't allow for much in the way of growing for the kids that come up. even some of our "wins" like geekie and foegele end up leaving for more opportunity. now we have a new generation of kids on the cusp of being pushed out with suzuki, cotton, rees, and bokk on the chopping block. there's a player or two in there as well but we just don't have the ice time to find out. keane is another that will be hard to work in.

That's certainly part of it. The other part of it is that we are a young team that is really good and looking to compete for a cup and our elite guys have already graduated to the NHL. Guys like Rees, Suzuki, Cotton, etc.. are going to have a tough time cracking this squad which is on pace for 120+ points with Aho, TT, Necas, Svech, Jarvis, Nino, Trocheck, etc.. It's easier to go to another team to get a shot in many cases and that's part of life when you have a good team.

I disagree that losing Roy, Luostarinen and bean "really hurt" though. They've done well, but without moving Luostarinen and Roy, we don't have Trocheck. Wish we could have have held onto Bean, but with Slavin and Skjei locked down for a number of years, he was going to be a 3rd pairing LHD here.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
A lot of folks seem to think that the brain trust would be comfortable trading Suzuki for a rental. I just don’t see it.

Not too long ago, reports were that they were very high on him. I doubt that has changed. Also, the kid hasn’t played in months and has a mystery injury. His value has to be low due to this. I don’t see them selling low on an asset they have really liked in the past.

You may be right, but they've also said they'd trade anyone to make the team better. I don't think he's off limits by any means.

Reactions: WreckingCrew
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

I kinda like not having the ice time to find out. This is the Detroit dynasty model but with the added wrinkle of the cap system not letting us just stash these guys forever. You need to prove to be a really, really good player to crack the lineup, and you’ll learn your craft until you do, and you might end up in a 4-for-1 blockbuster to get the Canes another top 6 player. Of all the guys you’ve named only Roy and Luo are guys that would even crack our roster, and both would be bottom 6ers. And both got us meaningful NHL players, and their trade trees have converged to result in us having Vincent Trocheck.

We did exactly the right thing with Bean. He might be a player, he might not, but either way it’s not going to be with us, so trade for a second rounder to reset the timer on another dart.

I also think the overseas scouting and drafting helps in this regard. More ice time to go around - we’re not stashing these guys on the same minor league team where it turns into the Hunger Games. Morrow can hone his skills in NCAA, Koivunen in Finland, Nikishin in the KHL, and leave the AHL team for the guys who need top 6 time and have nowhere else to play.

If a guy is good enough to crack our lineup, he’s a good player. If he’s not, he’s probably not the centerpiece of a major deal anyway. The 2nd rounder we got for Bean is the most we’re going to get for any of these guys anyway. If the worst thing about having all these darts is that some guys fizzle out before we’re able to get a 3rd round pick for them on their way out of town, I’ll take the embarrassment of riches. The 22 year old who can’t beat out Steven Lorentz for a roster spot probably wasn’t going to get you a 1st round pick when he was a 20 year old (because 20 years old that can get you a 1st round pick are usually already better than Steven Lorentz). You can’t find a market inefficiency with every micro transaction, and if at the end of his contract we end up losing David Cotton to another team on a show-me deal instead of having traded him for a 4th round pick at the beginning of this season, it is what it is.

Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
Wheeler has been doing his organizational rankings for prospect pipelines, and the Stars just hit at #10. We've yet to be named.

Wheeler: 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings

As far as our main Eastern Conference competition are concerned, Tampa is #30, Pittsburgh #29, Boston #27, Washington #26, Florida #23, NYR #18, Toronto #15 (them plus us are the Eastern Conference playoffs this year).

Pretty darn good for a team that's also top 5 in the actual league standings. Note that this only includes players that are not considered full-time NHLers, unlike Pronman's 23 and under rankings (in which we finished #2 to only Buffalo).

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Wheeler has been doing his organizational rankings for prospect pipelines, and the Stars just hit at #10. We've yet to be named.

Wheeler: 2022 NHL prospect pool rankings

As far as our main Eastern Conference competition are concerned, Tampa is #30, Pittsburgh #29, Boston #27, Washington #26, Florida #23, NYR #18, Toronto #15 (them plus us are the Eastern Conference playoffs this year).

Pretty darn good for a team that's also top 5 in the actual league standings. Note that this only includes players that are not considered full-time NHLers, unlike Pronman's 23 and under rankings (in which we finished #2 to only Buffalo).
Wheeler has always loved our drafting so the rating will be skewed in our favor. Add in a lot of non AHL prospects are having really good years. I think our rating is coming up soon. The depth in our system will probably be one of the top ones. We should be lacking top end talent with Jarvis moving up to the team. It will depend on how high he holds Moreow too. 6-8 is where I think we will be because of depth alone.

Reactions: Daeavorn and DaveG

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Just under prediction, 9th.

Wheeler grades higher on potential so guys like Bokk, Gunler, and Nybeck are higher than Nishikin, Seeley, and Ponomaryov.

He has 20 prospects listed and could have gone to 25 easy.

Top 5
Morrow, Suzuki, Koivunen, Gunler, and Drury in that order.

Makiniemi not listed even in the honorable mentions. Kochetkov 11th.

He said Jackson Blake could be a big mover if does well at North Dakota

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad