2020 FA Cup

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Terrible result for the neutrals. No one wants to watch Arsenal in the final.
Back in my day we used to root for the mid table teams vs the giants :sarcasm:

I have ESPN+ for UFC. It's still only five bucks. You can afford it.
It's really a decent deal especially now that Bundesliga will be included. They also have Serie A but that deal expires next season I believe. It's pretty cheap now so I totally expect ESPN to eventually raise the price because that's what they do.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
I have ESPN+ for UFC. It's still only five bucks. You can afford it.

It's not a matter of that. ESPN+ is very reasonable and affordable, I agree. But it's poor form, especially when there's still no live American sports (other than NASCAR, which they don't have broadcast rights for) to be tossing marquee games behind a paywall instead of broadcasting them if they have the ability to. The person you quoted brought up a great point which I've also mentioned with regard to Serie A as well in how ESPN has deliberately chosen lesser games to be the ones they put on TV as opposed to games that would be more appealing.

For example - ESPN has aired four Sassuolo games since Serie A resumed. Sassuolo has played nine games in total, and among those games they've played Juve (#1), Inter (#2), Atalanta (#3), and Lazio (#4). Wanna guess which games they didn't air on ESPN or ESPN2? They aired them playing Parma (#12), Fiorentina (#13), Cagliari (#11), and either Lecce (#18) or Bologna (#10), but not when they played any of the teams that will be in the CL next year/competing (or "competing") for the Scudetto this year. It's honestly gross. NBC has a subscription service and throws Premier League games behind it when there's multiple games on at the same time, but you can bet that, 95% of the time, they choose the game with the most broad appeal to be the one they broadcast on television. And guess what? Unlike with the NHL, NBC has received plaudits over the years for their coverage of the league. ESPN, pre-COVID, would air one game a week, often in a terrible time slot, and rarely a game of any marquee value, and since the restart, they've aired more games, but they aired #18 Genoa vs. #20 SPAL last weekend but not #1 Juve vs. #2 Atalanta, you know?

I dunno, it just feels like one of those old "just because you can doesn't mean you should" sort of deals. ESPN snaps up these broadcast rights and then does absolutely nothing to help promote the league. Guess you also need to blame the footballing bodies for taking the largest bid they get with zero further considerations, sure. but there was nothing ESPN, ESPN2, or ABC for that matter were airing yesterday that were better than an FA Cup semi-final game. Same deal with today, too. And it doesn't even sound like the Final itself will be on television, at least, at last check.

Reactions: S E P H

robertmac43

Forever 43!
Mar 31, 2015
Yeah Luiz has grown on me over the last week or so. This post-match interview was awesome on his part!

Blender

Dec 2, 2009

Our players are really going to be run down at this point, not much squad rotation.

5-3-2 it looks like today.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Gotta love how Utd going back to 5 in the back, changing a successful side, to protect Maguire against a good team

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Gotta love how Utd going back to 5 in the back, changing a successful side, to protect Maguire against a good team

theyve used it a lot against the top teams when Pogba isn’t available. Its more about not being able to trust the MF without Pogba to hold possession. Without Pogba they go 3-5-2, allow possession and counter.

same as other Chelsea games, city, Liverpool, etc.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Jorginho is getting much higher up the pitch than we normally see him in this game.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
The 2nd blatant dive by a Manchester United player that was clear on the replay. First Fred and now Bruno.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
These United players are really trying hard to slow the game down. Great game otherwise, this was the short of boring fixture we'd have to sit through between two titans around a decade ago.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
These United players are really trying hard to slow the game down. Great game otherwise, this was the short of boring fixture we'd have to sit through between two titans around a decade ago.

Probably because they played on Thursday. And this is their 3rd game in a week, 4th in 10 days. It’s starting to catch up with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad