Speculation: 2020-21 Management/Coach/Owner Discussion

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
Tough to say.

The first 15 regular season games will be interesting to see. If we see a terrible start to the season, I don't see how Eakins would continue as head coach, but then again I don't know which of these guys would replace him either.
Not even being snarky, but what about our roster as constructed (with some additional loss coming post-expansion draft) makes you see anything but a terrible start to next season?

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
Not even being snarky, but what about our roster as constructed (with some additional loss coming post-expansion draft) makes you see anything but a terrible start to next season?
We actually usually start the season pretty well. Then the injuries hit.

Reactions: Getz2noone

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal
3-5-2 last year. We are all assuming no Henrique, and Getzlaf is a year older, assuming he comes back. This team is still bad.
I would be shocked if we haven't improved the roster by opening night. In no other offseason since 2006 have I felt there will be substantial stuff going on here.

Reactions: Kalv and Ducks DVM

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
I would be shocked if we haven't improved the roster by opening night. In no other offseason since 2006 have I felt there will be substantial stuff going on here.
I dunno. I feel like this will be another accumulation year.

Regardless, this team, as constructed, will have a pretty high bar for “terrible enough to fire, and pay, the head coach after 10 games”. It’ll be based on how the kids are developing rather than record IMO.

Willing to be pleasantly surprised though.

Static

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2006
SoCal

Regardless, this team, as constructed, will have a pretty high bar for “terrible enough to fire, and pay, the head coach after 10 games”. It’ll be based on how the kids are developing rather than record IMO.

Oh I agree. Eakins is playing out this season, and if he doesn't, Bob is going behind the bench.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Opak

Nov 28, 2014

I was about to reply to the first post, but then saw your latter post and I have to agree with you.

For me also, at this point of the rebuild, it's more about seeing improvement rather than how many Ws we end up with. I'd hope to see tightly contested matches with effort, rather than blowout losses where nobody gives a ****.

I disagree on Eakins though, I think he'll be on a very short leash. This is the last year of his contract and, barring a dramatic improvement in team performance, I don't think he'll be back for another year. If the on-ice product is putrid and the kids are suffering, might as well release him early and hand the reins over to an interim guy, with the hope that he can prevent the wagon from going too far off the road.

Maybe not after 10 games like you said, but let's see after 15-20. Hoping for the best.

Reactions: Ducks DVM

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
Bouchard just might really like beaches :dunno:
There also might have been financial aspects to consider. Ducks are known to be very devoted to their AHL team (except for playing a Ducks pre-season game in San Diego, apparently :facepalm: ).

Anyway, I'm a bit confused with the coaches now because I thought they brought in Brown for PP (after running it for Vancouver and us previously with a good success rate), but in the Stephens article he talks about how Ward will take over the PP. :huh:

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I wonder if Madden has Bouchard in mind as future Ducks coach when Madden takes over after Murray is gone. Eakins contract is up by then too, so Madden could just promote him after that.

Madden is a Quebec guy like Bouchard and Maddens dad worked as assistant GM in Montreal at one time.
Maybe their quite familiar with Bouchard.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
So i saw on the Habs forum that Bergevin may be on his way out in Montreal after his contract runs thru next season like Murray.
Would people be open to him being the next Ducks GM while Madden works under him ?
Ownership might like him because of how he put together a team with high cap space that went to the cup finals and to the Samuelis that means more Profits.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
So i saw on the Habs forum that Bergevin may be on his way out in Montreal after his contract runs thru next season like Murray.
Would people be open to him being the next Ducks GM while Madden works under him ?
Ownership might like him because of how he put together a team with high cap space that went to the cup finals and to the Samuelis that means more Profits.
Lol please dear god no. You keep Murray before doing that imo

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006

Think he’s on his way out of Mtl due to burnout and fatigue, I doubt he’s looking for another GM job straight away. And I don’t think I would be too keen anyway, while I want the next GM to be an outside hire because I think this organization needs a fresh voice I’ve never been a massive fan of Bergevin.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Think he’s on his way out of Mtl due to burnout and fatigue, I doubt he’s looking for another GM job straight away. And I don’t think I would be too keen anyway, while I want the next GM to be an outside hire because I think this organization needs a fresh voice I’ve never been a massive fan of Bergevin.
True but here in Anaheim he wouldn't be forced to trade for French players (Drouin) and he'd have to freedom to do whats best regardless of the language skills of the people he drafts, trades for or hires.
Assistant GM to GM Madden ? He also wouldn't be afraid to draft someone like Caufield.

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee
Maybe not this year, but next year will definitely be a make or break for Eakins. If not, Bouchard will probably step in.

He is on his final year of his contract so I doubt he is brought back unless the Ducks have a Cinderella season.

Whoever the next GM is should be able to pick their headcoach.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017

A few interesting bits in here. Sounds like Bob wants to develop a Tampa/Montreal approach of developing in the AHL a certain way so guys are ready to go when it’s time

Years later... this should be common sense.... See Fowler, Sbisa, Ritchie, Steel, Lundestrom and countless others. I think Zegras should have even had a little more time but he played well in NHL.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Years later... this should be common sense.... See Fowler, Sbisa, Ritchie, Steel, Lundestrom and countless others. I think Zegras should have even had a little more time but he played well in NHL.
player development is so, so important. Bob mentioned that Dineen did a good job with the team but i take that to mean he did well at getting them to win games. doesn't sound like he thought players were being developed well necessarily. Who knows if that was Bob's realization or somebody else's but either way, they finally appear to have gotten the memo.

bsu

"I have no idea what I am doing" -Pat VerBleak
Sep 27, 2017
The Gulls were not coached last season, luckily for them they had talent.

Mr Rogers

Jul 11, 2010
Calgary
Reposting:
Wow, i wonder if Bouchard made that first comment in French. that could be potentially fairly revealing.

Sometimes players and coaches are bit more blunt in their native tongue. Not a smoking gun but there could be something to it.​

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad