Salary Cap: 2020-21 Lightning Roster Discussion | Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Basically every damn team in the league is out of cap space and can't take guys like Killer and Johnson. But when it comes to our RFA's they suddenly have room? Come on man...
They get that extra $30 million the Pens always seem to find, when it comes to our RFAs.

jfc64

Jul 2, 2006
Think you are trying to sign Cernak at 2.8 million and move Sergachev for best player on a ELC this and next season. Then there is only one problem left (Cirelli). Who might be signed late for same money.

Vilardi (LAK) would be a dream etc. Sergachev and Cirelli for Vilardi and Roy?

Is this close to what they will get in the end?

Sergachev 5 million
Cirelli 5.5 million
Cernak 3 million

Last edited:

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Think you are trying to sign Cernak at 2.8 million and move Sergachev for best player on a ELC this and next season. Then there is only one problem left (Cirelli). Who might be signed late for same money.

Vilardi (LAK) would be a dream etc.

Is this close to what they will get in the end?

Sergachev 5 million
Cirelli 5.5 million
Cernak 3 million

no I'd guess this

Sergachev 4.5 million AVV

Cirelli- 4.0 million AVV

Cernak- 2.75 million AVV

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
Guys if your boss came to you tomorrow and said he wanted you to stay with the company another year would you do it? What if he said he was going to give you a raise too? These guys made like 700k last year which is a lot of money and we can give them a 300k raise. You really think these guys would turn that down?

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
yes Barzal is better then point and Kucherov he should be getting 10 per year then lol

Well if NBC talking heads are right, Brazel is worth McDavid $, and they only have $8.9 cap space. Dallas needs cap space next year to sign Heiskanen, who is better than Orr. :sarcasm:

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Basically every damn team in the league is out of cap space and can't take guys like Killer and Johnson. But when it comes to our RFA's they suddenly have room? Come on man...
This is why I think we might end up in a hold out situation. Remember the time we just shrugged and let Kucherov sit until he accepted the money we had left?

If offer sheets don't materialize, we have all the leverage. We might see guys sign even shorter deals than we're used to just so they're not sitting out.

Reactions: 2020 Cup Champions

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
no I'd guess this

Sergachev 4.5 million AVV

Cirelli- 4.0 million AVV

Cernak- 2.75 million AVV
I'm thinking more along the lines of:

Sergachev @ $3.5 million AAV
Cirelli @ $3.25 million AAV
Cernak @ $2.25 million AAV

In terms of real-world money, those are significant raises for these guys and I am thinking they're not getting as much as many think.
Or maybe I'm shrouded in a haze of wishful thinking here.

Reactions: JTBF81 and Todd1a

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
I'm thinking more along the lines of:

Sergachev @ $3.5 million AAV
Cirelli @ $3.25 million AAV
Cernak @ $2.25 million AAV

In terms of real-world money, those are significant raises for these guys and I am thinking they're not getting as much as many think.
Or maybe I'm shrouded in a haze of wishful thinking here.

you think that we might have to have lower cap hits Brisebois does 2 year deals with them instead of 3 years with our normal bridge guys ?

Reactions: BeingTheThunder

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Well if NBC talking heads are right, Brazel is worth McDavid $, and they only have $8.9 cap space. Dallas needs cap space next year to sign Heiskanen, who is better than Orr. :sarcasm:

lol they said that about point last year we all knew he wasn’t getting 9 million a year on a 3 year bridge deal !

BeingTheThunder

Jul 9, 2018
www.beingthethunder.com
you think that we might have to have lower cap hits Brisebois does 2 year deals with them instead of 3 years with our normal bridge guys ?
I don't know. I think shorter term is usually more expensive. Usually have to either give higher money and shorter term or longer term to lower the cap hit. PLUS, I think all three would still be RFAs at the end of a 2-year deal and that would be of benefit to the team and not the player. It would make sense for a 2 year contract to be more expensive.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
Guys if your boss came to you tomorrow and said he wanted you to stay with the company another year would you do it? What if he said he was going to give you a raise too? These guys made like 700k last year which is a lot of money and we can give them a 300k raise. You really think these guys would turn that down?

yes because they can get a 3 million dollar a year raise to leave

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I don't you think you understand who all we need to sign with that $9.6m:
- First, you have to count the cap hit of the last roster spot guy once you call him up (that's $750k for ABB, or TBD for Volkov but >=$700k; TBD for Joseph as well).
- That only leaves $8.9m for the big 3 RFAs -- Serg, Cirelli AND Cernak
- So maaaaybe we can get there if one of the guys does the team-friendly thing (e.g Cernak for $1.7m, Serg for $4.5m and Cirelli cuts us a break by taking the rest -- $2.7m -- for one year with the promise of cashing in next year).
- But they might all demand proper compensation, and if so we can't keep all three under your scenario.

And even if we do get the team-friendly deal from one guy, then we've only got 18 skaters on roster and not a penny to spare. That means we can't bring anyone up from Syracuse at all during the RS without sending someone down or putting someone on LTIR (and ABB is is the only guy who is waiver exempt, so anyone else would have to pass through waivers). Given that the rules let you keep 23 guys on roster (typically 21 skaters and 2 goalies), trying to scrape through a full season with only enough money for 18 skaters is a really bad idea.

Last, you're assuming we buy out Johnson. That will mean we spend the next 8 seasons with (on average) $1.75m each year in dead cap space. I'll be shocked if does that -- you think we're hurting now, just wait until we try to get through Pointer's raise with that dead space.

Getting rid of Paquette and Coburn would help in loosening the collar on this (we can net $1m in usable space on each of them, after accounting for league-minimum replacements), but not really enough. I've been assuming we trade Killorn AND Johnson AND Paquette AND Coburn (if we get him to waive, but not absolutely critical if we can move the other 3).

So if we really can't trade Johnson this year, I'd put heavy odds that we trade away Cirelli, hopefully for some pretty serious futures value. Buying out Johnson is just too problematic long term, and really doesn't help that much.

I'll bet you we don't trade Cirelli. DM me

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
What you are not considering is the fact that the teams that do have Cap left are teams Johnson, Killer, Palat, ect ect would waive to go to. Having been a season ticket holder for the Predators for years they are the lone team I think might entice one of them waiving for but they are also in the position of not being very competitive right now when it comes to the playoffs much less a deep run. Now the same list of teams that do have some Cap left know the position that Tampa and a few other teams are in and poaching one or all three of these young RFA's is on there radar. While they are unwilling to put an offersheet out there honestly they do not need too.

I felt going into this that we were going to lose one of the RFA's but now it looks likely we lose Sergi and Cirelli. Cernak is going to push what Cap is left even moving one of Johnson or Killer because in addition to Cernak we are going to need two more defensemen on the roster. It is entirely possible that we will lose all three but it is certain we lose at least one now.

bov

Nov 13, 2010
Don't see the RFA's going anywhere. The situation with Johnson could help us out actually, hopefully putting some more pressure on Sergachev/Cirelli/Cernak to take team-friendly deals now that we're getting more desperate.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad