2019 Ottawa Senators Rookie Tournament

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ouroboros

There is no armour against Fate
Feb 3, 2008
Most disappointing part of this tournament is that no salty Habs or Jets fans came over here to post that this is our Stanley Cup.

Pre-season for the trolls too I guess.

Reactions: NyQuil and Bileur

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
I hope the defense wasn't impressive, missing pretty much every D prospect except Brannstrom and Guenette who got drafted in the 7th round 2 months ago.

Yes the big line was too good but as you could see in other games, plenty of other prospects did well.

Like I said later on:

Sure, I’m just saying those amateur tryout guys looked like amateur tryout guys. Not much potential there.

[...]

Either way I don’t think that game suggests it’s time to start serving crow.

That’s all I was saying. I recognize your “overrated prospect pool” comment was probably tongue in cheek. It’s nevertheless early to start serving crow.

I’d also amend my initial comment to agree with you that Aspirot looks like he has some AHL potential.

He’s shown flashes in previous camps too (wasn’t he the one who knocked out Habs prospect Jake Evans with a huge hit last year?).

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Like I said later on:

That’s all I was saying. I recognize your “overrated prospect pool” comment was probably tongue in cheek. It’s nevertheless early to start serving crow.

I’d also amend my initial comment to agree with you that Aspirot looks like he has some AHL potential.

He’s shown flashes in previous camps too (wasn’t he the one who knocked out Habs prospect Jake Evans with a huge hit last year?).

Yes it was, and I don't care I don't need to serve crow, I have been barely participated on this board for a while and don't really take it in consideration much anymore. The pool is not overrated (so yeah from day 1 I found that thread "overrated"), it's considered one of the best by pretty much anyone and like I have said in the few posts I have written the last months, it's normal after acquiring 10 additional prospects directly from a firesale. That's what Melnyk wanted, that's what he got. Prospects are fun and can give you a bright future but the price to pay was so heavy and completely destroyed our present.

I was not trying to battle your post or anything but took the occasion to mention that the defense was not part of the prospect pool (except 2 guys), even if most probably already knew (and I'm sure you did).

Another thing I saw mentioned a few times is the excuse for other teams "missing a lot of prospects while the Sens didn't bring any of JBD, Thomson, Wolanin, Jaros, Balcers, Lajoie, Chlapik, Pinto, Hogberg, Tychonick, Crookshank and a few others. Also, several top prospects didn't suit in some games. Pool is not overrated, it's very good, probably the best we ever had or close (like I said, it's normal after a firesale and 2 years finishing in the basement, something we haven't seen the Sens do in 22 years)

Wolanin,Jaros,Balcers,Chlapik,Paul, and Lajoie shouldn’t count.

Like I specifically mentioned (so normally I shouldn't have to answer this post) :

Prospects (from our own board rankings)

I don't care if you or average Joe consider prospect X or Y as a prospect anymore, that's why I took the list from the concensus criterias we've been following for more than a decade.

Last edited:

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Yes it was, and I don't care I don't need to serve crow, I have been barely participated on this board for a while and don't really take it in consideration much anymore. The pool is not overrated (so yeah from day 1 I found that thread "overrated"), it's considered one of the best by pretty much anyone and like I have said in the few posts I have written the last months, it's normal after acquiring 10 additional prospects directly from a firesale. That's what Melnyk wanted, that's what he got. Prospects are fun and can give you a bright future but the price to pay was so heavy and completely destroyed our present.

I was not trying to battle your post or anything but took the occasion to mention that the defense was not part of the prospect pool (except 2 guys), even if most probably already knew (and I'm sure you did).

Another thing I saw mentioned a few times is the excuse for other teams "missing a lot of prospects while the Sens didn't bring any of JBD, Thomson, Wolanin, Jaros, Balcers, Lajoie, Chlapik, Pinto, Hogberg, Tychonick, Crookshank and a few others. Also, several top prospects didn't suit in some games. Pool is not overrated, it's very good, probably the best we ever had or close (like I said, it's normal after a firesale and 2 years finishing in the basement, something we haven't seen the Sens do in 22 years)

Like I specifically mentioned (so normally I shouldn't have to answer this post) :

Prospects (from our own board rankings)

I don't care if you or average Joe consider prospect X or Y as a prospect anymore, that's why I took the list from the concensus criterias we've been following for more than a decade.
Has nothing to do with considering them prospects, they literally aren't eligible for the rookie tournament.

His comment was made because the Habs have 8 guys drafted in the 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounds in the past 3 drafts, and 14 guys total, who are actually eligible for the tournament who aren't there, with the Sens having 4 guys in the first 3 rounds (Pinto/JBD/Tychonik/Thomson) and 7 guys total eligible not there from the past 3 drafts.

Guys who are not eligible are irrelevant to the rookie tournament, while still remaining prospects.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sensators and Boud

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Really? What are the eligibility rules? Is it just the NHL's calder eligibility rules?
2 years of NA pro play, we have Beaudin who had half a year between ECHL/AHL that must have allowed him. As far as I am aware at least.

Lajoie was a late birthday in the same draft who jumped to the AHL a year before Brown.

Reactions: Micklebot

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
- IMO Belleville should give Aspirot, Welsh & Todd a PTO, if they can't play in Belleville maybe they can play in Brampton, all three looked good in this tournament.

- IMO Norris is going to be a very good player for this team in the very near future as is Gruden when his junior career is done. Davidsson & Abramov also look like a couple of very good young players.

- very interesting to see that the coaching staff had Kastelic out on the PP taking faceoffs in all three games in this tournament. I wonder if they will keep him in Belleville for next season or return him to junior? He's a tough guy & along with Kelly would bring some much needed toughness to Belleville's lineup & they are both pretty good players. They seem to have a lot of very good depth at almost every position.

- nice to see the Sens prospects win another rookie tournament & the players we were hoping would play well did. Batherson didn't score, but he played with an edge which I liked a lot hitting people whenever he got the opportunity & creating space for L. Brown to do his thing.

- I really liked the line of Formenton, Brown & Batherson as well as the line with Gruden, Norris & Davidsson. I expect with a number of these guys playing in Belleville this yr, that they end up having a playoff team.

Reactions: NyQuil

IamJust0ne

May 4, 2006
Biggest surprise for me this tourney was Gruden. Good skater, tenacious on the forecheck and good hands in tight. If he isn't buried in London he's going to have a monster season in the OHL

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

Although I agree that Brannstrom was solid vs a standout. I would have liked to see more.
I would put Norris in the solid bracket as well.
Veronneau definitely wanted more from. I didn't expect much from Sturtz and Kastelic and they were fine imo

Reactions: Icelevel

R2010

May 23, 2011

Although I agree that Brannstrom was solid vs a standout. I would have liked to see more.
Veronneau definitely wanted more from. I didn't expect much from Sturtz and Kastelic and they were fine imo

Interesting. When I attended Game 1 it looked like Brannstrom was probably next after Formenton as the most NHL ready looking with the way he played. Brown was good too and Batherson too. I thought Batherson was just okay overall though - made some flashy plays but was less noticeable than his linemates to me.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010

I wanted more from Norris to be honest. Not that he was bad, but for a first round pick you want more at 20 years old imo.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He’s going to be rusty after surgery and recovery imo
Yeah, that's fair. I hadn't given it all that much thought tbh, but good point. I just chalked it up to usual first 2 games after summer break, but you make a good point that it's a little more extreme for him because of his season being cut short and having surgery.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
That was the first games Norris had played in 8 months. I thought he looked fine given that. Not a creative player but an effective one. He's comparable to Colin White in many ways.

Thought Guennette had a good showing. He was a late round guy I was excited about and he didn't disappoint. Will definitely follow him this year.

Happy Parker Kelly had a good showing. I like him, he doesnt have the skill to be a top 6 guy but if he's gonna be a super pest, he probably has a future in pro hockey.

The D invites looked solid too. Aspirot and Welsh in particular. They could start in Brampton and find themselves in big roles in the AHL soon enough.

Also says a lot when Abramov sat out in favour of guys like Formenton. He's a beaut.

Brown was the biggest takeaway though. I expect him to dominate here but then extra speed and strength he's added are gonna for sure put him in the mix for one of the last forward spots. He might even be our #1C to start year, at least in a PP/Ozone role.

Reactions: SpezDispenser

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

I always find it interesting how so many people watching the same thing can have so many different opinions on things but c'est la vie. I thought Kastelic in his very first Sens rookie tournament had a very good tournament. Not so much on the score board, but by winning the trust of the coaches so quickly, I didn't expect to see him taking faceoffs on the PP, but there he was & winning them as he did on a PP goal.

I assume this guy like so many of these writers are young & like a certain kind of new age hockey & mostly only look at scoreboard pts as a determining factor on how a player performs. Kastelic & Kelly both threw their body around caused a couple of turnovers & played with an edge something I like a lot. I thought they had a very good first tournament. I imagine if Kastelic ever makes it to Ottawa he could expect to receive the Boro treatment on these boards for the kind of player he is.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I always find it interesting how so many people watching the same thing can have so many different opinions on things but c'est la vie. I thought Kastelic in his very first Sens rookie tournament had a very good tournament. Not so much on the score board, but by winning the trust of the coaches so quickly, I didn't expect to see him taking faceoffs on the PP, but there he was & winning them as he did on a PP goal.

I assume this guy like so many of these writers are young & like a certain kind of new age hockey & mostly only look at scoreboard pts as a determining factor on how a player performs. Kastelic & Kelly both threw their body around caused a couple of turnovers & played with an edge something I like a lot. I thought they had a very good first tournament. I imagine if Kastelic ever makes it to Ottawa he could expect to receive the Boro treatment on these boards for the kind of player he is.

No I agree . Kastelic looked fine to me.. Not sure he'll make Belleville this year but he could .. just not sure who he is competing with. I really like Kelly and I think he could be a valuable player if he has another notch in his skill development. One thing about Kastelic, is he knows who he is and what he has to do to have success and I think he showed those things in the rookie tournament. Mann got a real good look at a few of these guys this past weekend and I am sure he values the type of player Kastelic is.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So, what is the Top 10 unbiased rookie ranking solely bases on this tournament?
Based solely on the tournament?

Brown
Formenton
Abramov
Soogard
Batherson
Brannstrom
Norris
Davidsson
Gruden
Daccord, Kelly, Guenette

Something like that