2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Gardiner would be better than Edler by a wide margin.

Already out produces him. Is a worse defender but is a better skater and is 28/29 not 33.

Not a massive fan but he is worth a protection slot for sure unlike a 35yr old Edler who already cant play more than 60 games on average (last 4 seasons)

If Benning bends over on Edler it's pretty damn likely we have Eriksson 2.0 and unlike the money sucking leech (that is pretty much non descipt in Eriksson) that move comes with losing a protection spot for a player that helps them going forawrd.

We really need to stop underrating what a minute munching monster Edler has been for this franchise. And even with him doing so, this team still had one of the worst cores in the entire NHL at defending, let alone producing offence from the back end. So the problem is that Gardiner is a big downgrade defensively as we have such a weak group of players at actually defending in big minutes aside from Edler and Tanev.

Just don't see how it makes our D-core stronger overall even if we replace Edler with Gardiner, which I feel is still a long shot.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Bolded is a huge part of why we suck; and I like gardiner
i agree. Which is why it doesn't excite me in any way. Having another puck mover helps but i am starting to think we may have the easiest defense in the league to cycle against

Reactions: timw33

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
There isn't a single defenseman that is realistically available that can fill Edler's minutes and provide an improvement.

I'm not advocating they re-sign him, just stating the facts -- they've had 5 years to prepare for this moment.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Which is why I don't get why we don't get Schenn signed.
We may, but he's not gonna be part of the top4.

Tanev Stecher Hutton Hughes Juolevi Gardiner..........gonna be a lot of night like that one in Vegas if this is what we roll out with. Pretty scary when Hutton is your toughest player along the walls

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Well, that probably squashes the "doesn't want to play in Canada". I just hope its nothing insane, personally, i wouldn't give him more than 5m per year at the most, and not include an NTC or NMC obviously.
No chance he is signing for $5MM and no trade protection. Better chance Panarin signs here lol

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Well, that probably squashes the "doesn't want to play in Canada". I just hope its nothing insane, personally, i wouldn't give him more than 5m per year at the most, and not include an NTC or NMC obviously.
You drunk?
Gardiner can easily get 7m+ in the open market, just because he’s had terrible record in G7, doesn’t mean he isn’t a fantastic player

Reactions: DonnyNucker

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
This blue line is going to be brutal next year, just brutal. Edler: never appreciated enough by a certain segment of this fanbase. The kind of guy who stabilized a pairing and could take on the best in the league and come out on top. This is going be bad. Like, even worse than we're used to.

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
We really need to stop underrating what a minute munching monster Edler has been for this franchise. And even with him doing so, this team still had one of the worst cores in the entire NHL at defending, let alone producing offence from the back end. So the problem is that Gardiner is a big downgrade defensively as we have such a weak group of players at actually defending in big minutes aside from Edler and Tanev.

Just don't see how it makes our D-core stronger overall even if we replace Edler with Gardiner, which I feel is still a long shot.
It's incredible, Edler is the Rodney Dangerfield of this organization. He's so much better than he's being given credit for. Any comparisons to Eriksson or calling him a slug are ridiculous. He averages 24 mins a game, there are like 30 dmen in the league who do that against the opposition best in all situations.

Putting Gardiner in those minutes is a recipe for failure.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
Gardiner takes a lot of heat for one bad game in the 2018 playoffs and then being a warrior and playing through a back injury in these playoffs.

He's a good top 4 defenseman, who is a better puck mover than Edler. The Canucks are not going to get a bonified 1st pair dman this offseason. Gardiner outside of the UFA overpayment he will get, would be a good addition to the Canucks.

I hope they look into what it would take to trade for Ryan Murray who has been rumoured to be on the move out of Columbus, he could be just as good and a lot cheaper cap wise (if he can stay healthy).

The Canucks blueline is not going to be magically fixed this summer, and there will be some risk to whoever they bring in. I think we will also see Benning look at having a "3rd pair" that is going to be able to take a lot of minutes and you won't see an Edler-Tanev heavy minute pair at least to start.

Last edited:

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

I really feel like Edler is getting overrated here after playing one of his best years in a contract year with prime PP minutes. Since the cup run, he has averaged 60 games a year and 26pts per season. He also makes the same brain dead mistakes that Gardiner is accused of. The guy is 33 and he wont repeat last seasons success (except 56 games played).

Time to rip the bandaid off and let the new core lead this team. I don’t want Green having the option of giving Hughes PP time to Edler either

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
It's incredible, Edler is the Rodney Dangerfield of this organization. He's so much better than he's being given credit for. Any comparisons to Eriksson or calling him a slug are ridiculous. He averages 24 mins a game, there are like 30 dmen in the league who do that against the opposition best in all situations.

Just called him a 35yr old slug which he likely will be. He wasn't exactly fast now but dont get me wrong i have been quick to defend him around here. He's absolutely a 1st pairing defenseman who has no problem overpowering forwards and playing the game any way. He will be a huge hole for 60 games a year if we dont find a replacement

Last edited:

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

Edler went from underrated to overrated
Yes he’s a good player who just had a good season.
He’s also 33 with multiple injuries recently and likely won’t repeat the “success” he had the last few years.
I’m willing bet that in 2020-2021 Edler won’t be any better than guys like Hutton or Juolevi

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
This blue line is going to be brutal next year, just brutal. Edler: never appreciated enough by a certain segment of this fanbase. The kind of guy who stabilized a pairing and could take on the best in the league and come out on top. This is going be bad. Like, even worse than we're used to.
Hughes + Gardiner > Edler (as an example). You have no idea if the D will be worse. It’s f***ing June

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I really feel like Edler is getting overrated here after playing one of his best years in a contract year with prime PP minutes. Since the cup run, he has averaged 60 games a year and 26pts per season. He also makes the same brain dead mistakes that Gardiner is accused of. The guy is 33 and he wont repeat last seasons success (except 56 games played).

Time to rip the bandaid off and let the new core lead this team. I don’t want Green having the option of giving Hughes PP time to Edler either
i agree Donny. It's time to shift the prime minutes to the next core group. (16 even strength points the last 3 yrs avg) is nothing much if Hughes can run the PP and we can sign someone who defends well against top lines (no easy task for sure) but its just not worth handcuffing the team over

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
No chance he is signing for $5MM and no trade protection. Better chance Panarin signs here lol

We can hope :sarcasm:.

You drunk?
Gardiner can easily get 7m+ in the open market, just because he’s had terrible record in G7, doesn’t mean he isn’t a fantastic player

No, sadly, I just expressed my opinion. And i definitely wouldn't call him "fantastic". Overall, whoever we sign out of the Defenseman in FA, barring any big trade, we're in for a helluva year next year, cause i just don't see any of them replacing what Edler did for us.

Reactions: geebaan

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
i agree Donny. It's time to shift the prime minutes to the next core group. (16 even strength points the last 3 yrs avg) is nothing much if Hughes can run the PP and we can sign someone who defends well against top lines (no easy task for sure) but its just not worth handcuffing the team over
Totally agree
Assume we get Gardiner, it’s sort of the equivalent of the Raptors losing DeRozen for Kwahi. People were too attached to the former and didn’t realize who’s the clearly better player.

IF we fail to get Gardiner, oh well, majority want JB gone after next season anyway.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
We can hope :sarcasm:.

No, sadly, I just expressed my opinion. And i definitely wouldn't call him "fantastic". Overall, whoever we sign out of the Defenseman in FA, barring any big trade, we're in for a helluva year next year, cause i just don't see any of them replacing what Edler did for us.
Ok then....you can keep your Edler love

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Totally agree
Assume we get Gardiner, it’s sort of the equivalent of the Raptors losing DeRozen for Kwahi. People were too attached to the former and didn’t realize who’s the clearly better player.

IF we fail to get Gardiner, oh well, majority want JB gone after next season anyway.
Exactly, if we don’t get Gardiner we suck another year and the new GM will have a lottery pick in a deep draft. Not sure what all the anxiety is about. Unless of course we trade the 2020 first :(

Reactions: Billy Kvcmu

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That is a horrendous idea.

The hardest thing to do in hockey is find goal scorers.

I have no idea why you keep throwing Boeser and Horvats names around for shut down defenseman

No, the hardest thing to do is find an all-situations 24-25 minute #1 defender. And yes, I absolutely would trade Boeser for that type of player.

Murray is a guy who would be that type of player if he could stay healthy. Because he can't, no I wouldn't trade Boeser for him.

It is a horrendous idea...leaving the Canucks with only Baertschi and Pearson (both question marks) as top 6 wingers.

... that would still be substantially deeper than what our blueline looks like if Edler leaves.

It's almost like 6 years of managerial incompetence has left us in a thin, terrible position everywhere!

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
I wonder what Edler's stat line would look like if he played 2nd pair minutes on the Leafs the last 4 years with that group of forwards.

Reactions: MS

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
So you're blaming Edler for even strength production issues on what has been the worst team with the least goals in the NHL over the past 4 seasons?

Reactions: geebaan

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003

Edler as a player may be getting overrated, but his on-ice importance to the Canucks certainly is not. The guy literally soaks up all types of tough minutes. Even if you succeed in signing a guy like Gardiner you're not even close to replacing the defensive and PK minutes Edler was playing at a high level.

The blue line is pretty much assured to take a step back this year without Edler. It could be even worse if Markstrom regresses. Once Tanev gets his yearly case of the soft tissues this team could be bleeding goals.

The defensive unit was barely holding it together with Markstrom playing out of his mind, and that was mostly due to Green riding Edler like a rented mule.

Reactions: m9
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad