2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

This team just constantly chases it's tail.

The defense doesn't get better letting edler walk and signing Gardiner (or most other ufas). If we had edler AND brought in help we'd see some improvement.

Benning will be Benning and replace a good player he has already with a worse player in free agency, while paying more. I want off this stupid ride already.

Hemty

"Magni Consili Angelus"
Jan 14, 2015
Riga
soundcloud.com
Lol. If the rumors about Gardiner not wanting to play in Canada are true, i just can imagine the amount of $$$ Benning will throw at him :laugh:.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
Not surprising.

So from the 2011 defense (Bieksa, Ballard, Ehrhoff, Salo, Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev) the Canuck's have managed only a 2nd round pick which was subsequently traded in a package for Sutter. Only Tanev remains and they have no choice but to hold onto him.

Replacing Edler with Myers and Zaitsev will not work out well.

Don't forget that the Canucks got a 4th for Ehrhoff's negotiating rights. Or to put it another way, Gillis got nearly as much for 2 days of Ehrhoff's negotiating rights as Benning has gotten for Edler, Hamhuis, and Bieksa combined.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
Karlsson at the Steakhouse
cc19ecd443704929318ec1f20dae2e25d4fc8081a0b8a0ee9f83507ccfa043b0.gif

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Ryan Murray might be expendable because they have him, Werenski and Gavrikov on the left side. All 3 should be top 4 D's. And they have a decent d prospect group.

Murray had a good year. And Gavrikov just arrived before the playoffs.

Murray is good but probably a better 2nd pairing guy than 1st pairing on a good team.

Gavrikov should be the one to target. Built like a truck, very good defender, new age shutdown dman. Can add some size to our defense.

Reactions: Hockeyphysio

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Who is this source? The Canucks are (of course) going to check in about both Meyers and Gardiner. I doubt they sign either though.
The guy seems like a legit source, but the comment sounds more like his opinion...Canucks are going to have to back up the Brinks truck to land Gardiner (if he even wants to play on the west coast?).

Reactions: Luckylarry

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
This team just constantly chases it's tail.

The defense doesn't get better letting edler walk and signing Gardiner (or most other ufas). If we had edler AND brought in help we'd see some improvement.

Benning will be Benning and replace a good player he has already with a worse player in free agency, while paying more. I want off this stupid ride already.
I’d prefer Gardiner to Edler any day. Yes, Edler had a great season last year but he is an old man and I dont expect him to repeat. Good riddance

Reactions: Luckylarry

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
If Murray could stay healthy I’d think about a deal involving Boeser, but the guy is hurt more than Tanev. Fantastic player though.
That is a horrendous idea.

The hardest thing to do in hockey is find goal scorers.

I have no idea why you keep throwing Boeser and Horvats names around for shut down defenseman

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site

I have no idea why you keep throwing Boeser and Horvats names around for shut down defenseman

Columbus takes that deal and run for the hills.
Their left side defense is still strong and they get a sniper to play in their top 6.

Imagine if Boeser improves his skating now that he has a full offseason of training.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It's probably going to take 7x7 to actually sign Gardiner here.

Slim picking at LHD after that on the market, so I think we'll see some sort of trade.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

It is a horrendous idea...leaving the Canucks with only Baertschi and Pearson (both question marks) as top 6 wingers.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Columbus takes that deal and run for the hills.
Their left side defense is still strong and they get a sniper to play in their top 6.

Imagine if Boeser improves his skating now that he has a full offseason of training.
Boeser played last year spending half of it recovering from an almost career ending injury. He already talked about the weight gain and confidence issues and his shot and skating being affected. Him and Pettersson are gonna be lights out. trading that away before even seeing where it can go is beyond my comprehension. But i guess every player is tradeable.

Reactions: DonnyNucker

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
I’d prefer Gardiner to Edler any day. Yes, Edler had a great season last year but he is an old man and I dont expect him to repeat. Good riddance

I'm just saying the team improves keeping edler and bringing in free agent help. Takes minutes away from edler, so he stays healthy and doesn't need to have an amazing year, if the workload is spread out.

Now we're just replacing what edler brought with a ufa, not necessarily improving.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
It's probably going to take 7x7 to actually sign Gardiner here.

Slim picking at LHD after that on the market, so I think we'll see some sort of trade.

Yeah, it's going to take a major contract to even get his attention. Gardiner is still holding out hope they'll figure out how to bring him back in Toronto (he'll reportedly take "a considerable discount" to stay with the Leafs per James Mirtle), but even if he doesn't I find it hard to believe he won't at the very least stay in the Eastern Conference.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
I'm just saying the team improves keeping edler and bringing in free agent help. Takes minutes away from edler, so he stays healthy and doesn't need to have an amazing year, if the workload is spread out.

Now we're just replacing what edler brought with a ufa, not necessarily improving.
Oh gotcha, this is true. I think we are better with Gardiner and a full season of Hughes than just Edler. I have no concerns letting him go. He is the last standing member of the country club

Boeser Fan

Jun 23, 2018
If Murray could stay healthy I’d think about a deal involving Boeser, but the guy is hurt more than Tanev. Fantastic player though.
Out too lunch, and you've been around since 2002? Cmon you should know better.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Don't forget that the Canucks got a 4th for Ehrhoff's negotiating rights. Or to put it another way, Gillis got nearly as much for 2 days of Ehrhoff's negotiating rights as Benning has gotten for Edler, Hamhuis, and Bieksa combined.

I see what you are trying to say, but "but" it is spelled with a "b", not a "p".

Reactions: vanuck

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
“Chasing Gardiner” is probably at the bottom of my concerns for this off season, so I guess I’m actually *hoping* this happens because, failing that, I expect the recourses to be significantly worse. Just leave the #10 pick alone and I think I can deal with the UFA mess that ensues.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Gardiner would be better than Edler by a wide margin.

Already out produces him. Is a worse defender but is a better skater and is 28/29 not 33.

Not a massive fan but he is worth a protection slot for sure unlike a 35yr old Edler who already cant play more than 60 games on average (last 4 seasons)

If Benning bends over on Edler it's pretty damn likely we have Eriksson 2.0 and unlike the money sucking leech (that is pretty much non descipt in Eriksson) that move comes with losing a protection spot for a player that helps them going forawrd.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Gardiner would be better than Edler by a wide margin.

Already out produces him. Is a worse defender but is a better skater and is 28/29 not 33.

Not a massive fan but he is worth a protection slot for sure unlike a 35yr old Edler who already cant play more than 60 games on average (last 4 seasons)

If Benning bends over on Edler it's pretty damn likely we have Eriksson 2.0 and unlike the money sucking leech (that is pretty much non descipt in Eriksson) that move comes with losing a protection spot for a player that helps them going forawrd.

Bolded is a huge part of why we suck; and I like gardiner

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad