2019 Off-Season Non-Management Thread - Canucks/Boeser talking 4-5 years, $7m AAV - Kypreos)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
I'm fine with moving on from Edler, but not convincing him to waive his NTC for a chance at a cup at the TDL to get some value out of him is such an utter fail if he leaves. A good GM would have told him straight up that they were at a different place and he would be better to move on, early in the season. I think Edler would have been open to waiving had he known the Canucks weren't going to bring him back (and had time to get his family sorted).

Yet another potential asset that the FO hasn't gotten value out of.

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Not surprising.

So from the 2011 defense (Bieksa, Ballard, Ehrhoff, Salo, Edler, Hamhuis, Tanev) the Canuck's have managed only a 2nd round pick which was subsequently traded in a package for Sutter. Only Tanev remains and they have no choice but to hold onto him.

Replacing Edler with Myers and Zaitsev will not work out well.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Miller. Matthias.

Santos? Who went about .5 ppg for TO before being packaged with Franson to Preds for a first round pick, Jokinen, and Leipsic.

But the Canucks don't need first round picks, and would never want Leipsic . . . oh, wait . . .

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Now things get interesting. Karlsson's off the market and I doubt Gardiner leaves the Eastern Conference.

Myers is probably the best hope, but no sure thing either. Could see us overpaying for some depth pieces like Stralman, but there's literally no way they can replace Edler.

Reactions: timw33

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
I'd much rather the Canucks try to sign Ferland than trade for Lucic.
Ferland is only 27 (92' birth date)

He got banged up toward the last season which might hurt how much $$ he can command, however if he's fully healed he could be the LW that makes space for Petterssson and Boeser.

Definitely a bit of a risky contract at more than 5 years when you take into consideration injuries / his playing style, but if he works out and he stays healthy it could be a really good signing.
At least two of our lines would have a physical element with him and Virtanen banging bodies.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
I mean... Edler was injured leading up the to the deadline and had the trade protection.

Benning should've been more proactive with his approach with Edler, but once it got to the deadline week, his hands were tied.

I believe there were also reports that Edler was not willing to waive his clauses to entertain a move at the deadline. Not absolving management of this completely, but Edler was and is wanting to remain in control of where he ends up.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
I believe there were also reports that Edler was not willing to waive his clauses to entertain a move at the deadline. Not absolving management of this completely, but Edler was and is wanting to remain in control of where he ends up.

Yes, and what I've been saying around here is no should be shocked that he would want to keep it this way for the expansion draft as well.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Yes, and what I've been saying around here is no should be shocked that he would want to keep it this way for the expansion draft as well.

It'll be amusing when he signs with another team without a NMC in that third year and just a NTC.

Like, no team in their right mind, especially a good team that Edler would likely sign with, is going to risk losing a young important asset because they have to protect a 35 year old Edler.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
With Timo Meier, Kevin Lebanc as key RFAs, and the Joe's and Joonas as UFAs, I wonder if they will just let Nyquist go.

Gustav Nyquist would be a good addition to the Canucks top 6.

This leaves San Jose in a bit of a tight spot. Roughly $13 million left to re-sign Lebanc, Meier, Pavelski, Nyquist, and Thornton (if he doesn't retire).

Nyquist is all but gone, and Jumbo will likely wait to see what's left and take a discount (if he's coming back). They could trade away Braun or Dillon + sign a cheap bottom pairing guy to open up 2 million more in cap, but I still can't see how they fit Pavelski unless Meier/Lebanc take sweetheart bridge deals.

I wonder what their plan will be now- Nyquist for sure gone, and according to cap friendly only 12.5M left for Pavelski, Meier and Labanc. Braun would be a good target as a RHD, who we send them Biega + something small back for as it would give them a replacement RHD sub 1M in AAV. I'd be all for a 2 year 11M deal or something ridiculous like that for Pavelski as he'd be a good RW on the Pearson Horvat line, and would be perfect in the slot on the PP. Doubt he signs here, as he probably is chasing that ring but who knows.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
It'll be amusing when he signs with another team without a NMC in that third year and just a NTC.

Like, no team in their right mind, especially a good team that Edler would likely sign with, is going to risk losing a young important asset because they have to protect a 35 year old Edler.

I agree with you, but then I think about Anaheim giving Bieksa a NMC and having to protect him, while trading Theodore. You would think that after going thru the expansion draft for Vegas GM's would have wised up a bit.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Another team could give him that expansion NMC, just depends on the team. Like at a quick glance Ottawa only has Chabot, Demelo, and Ceci. For good teams if you look at Winnipeg right now Myers is a UFA, they're going to have to move on from Trouba, and Byfuglien is a UFA in two years, leaving them only with Morrissey and maybe Niku to protect.

Not like Vancouver is really going to be in a hard up situation either. There's a lot of bodies, but no one of really that much value (does Hughes need to be protected?). Having Edler on a NMC probably just means that we would need to expose a Ben Hutton.

Reactions: timw33

Bettman Returnz

Why so serious?
Jul 28, 2003
BC
Visit site
I still think we need to sit out the first part of FA. You darn well know some teams will get themselves into further cap trouble. At that point you jump on trades as they will be more desperate to get under the cap.

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
If Murray could stay healthy I’d think about a deal involving Boeser, but the guy is hurt more than Tanev. Fantastic player though.

Woof... I wouldn't go that far in terms of Murray equaling Boeser, but he's someone that I hope Benning can find a way to acquire for cheap because of the injury history.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
Now things get interesting. Karlsson's off the market and I doubt Gardiner leaves the Eastern Conference.

Myers is probably the best hope, but no sure thing either. Could see us overpaying for some depth pieces like Stralman, but there's literally no way they can replace Edler.
Well last year I heard there was no way we could replace two Sedins. What do you know, our scoring didn’t drop. We will be fine without Edlers 60 games and NMC.

Reactions: Luckylarry

BeardyCanuck03

@BeardyCanuck03
Jun 19, 2006
twitter.com
The Canucks left side is decimated with the Edler news.
Hughes, Sautner, Brisebois and Juolevi are the signed left side Dmen.
Compared to the right side which has Stecher, Tanev, Biega, Chatfield all signed.
I wonder/hope that with this development will make Benning focus on patching the left side before splurging on a right side dman like Myers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad