Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI

About Podkolzin

"No GM is more secure than Steve Yzerman, returning to the scene of his greatest triumphs. Even before his announcement, there was a belief the Red Wings liked Podkolzin’s game. The organization has a great history with Russian players, and Yzerman had success with drafting them in Tampa Bay. They won’t be afraid, if he’s the No. 1 guy on their list."

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018

About Podkolzin

"No GM is more secure than Steve Yzerman, returning to the scene of his greatest triumphs. Even before his announcement, there was a belief the Red Wings liked Podkolzin’s game. The organization has a great history with Russian players, and Yzerman had success with drafting them in Tampa Bay. They won’t be afraid, if he’s the No. 1 guy on their list."

I heard Podkolzin's skating sucks. That's a major turn off if true

Reactions: hkydave04

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
His skating is totally fine IMO. He's not a burner and if you're after a skater, Cozens, Turcotte or Krebs are all better choices, but Podkolzin's skating won't hold him back at all IMO.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto

About Podkolzin

Personally Podkolzin would not be my favorite pick. I'd rather a center or defesenseman and I remain scared of his mediocre stats. He seems to have all the skills, but the puck hasn't ended up in the net. He has valid excuses, but they're still excuses and I'd prefer someone we don't have to defend like that at 6 OA.

That being said I'm happy that we're labeled as a team that will draft whoever it deems to be the best hockey player without letting other stuff get in the way. I don't love Podkolzin, but I'm happy we'll take him if he's who we deem best.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

About Podkolzin

It’s amazing how many times this has been re-hashed by the media like it is new news.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
if he improves his speed
Personally Podkolzin would not be my favorite pick. I'd rather a center or defesenseman and I remain scared of his mediocre stats. He seems to have all the skills, but the puck hasn't ended up in the net. He has valid excuses, but they're still excuses and I'd prefer someone we don't have to defend like that at 6 OA.

That being said I'm happy that we're labeled as a team that will draft whoever it deems to be the best hockey player without letting other stuff get in the way. I don't love Podkolzin, but I'm happy we'll take him if he's who we deem best.
first three Kakko , Hughes and Byram yes , but the rest not so much difference between them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
“Did you know what the Red Wings like Podkolzin (rumor) and that Yzerman drafts Russians?” is becoming the new “Stafford and Kershaw played baseball together” this draft season

The guy who drafted Kucherov and played with the Russian 5 is NOT opposed to drafting Russians... like yeah, we got it.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Still waiting to hear why Podkolzin is so awesome. "Good at everything" and "a bulldog" aren't exactly stunning reasons to keep a guy in the top ten, let alone at 3rd overall.

I'm not saying he's a bad player by any means. But when I hear about the playmaking of Dach or the skating of Cozens or the motor of Turcotte, those are tangible assets to eventually help the team. So when a player with a comparatively smaller resume stays entrenched near the top of the draft, I can't help but wonder why. Anybody can catch fire for a tournament or two. But I just don't see the body of work that gives me confidence in Podkolzin.

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
“Did you know what the Red Wings like Podkolzin (rumor) and that Yzerman drafts Russians?” is becoming the new “Stafford and Kershaw played baseball together” this draft season
I didn't know Stafford played baseball with Clayton until I heard it the 587th time.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Think it was in Friedmans 31 thoughts where I read Zegras might be separating himself a bit into a group with Turcotte and Byram.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I try to defend Button, but... man. I think Caufield at #5 is a huge overreaction. And same with Podkolzin. One tournament shouldn't be worth this much in terms of rankings.

You know what I think it is with tournaments for Button? I think it is because he is usually over there covering them for TSN, and because of that, he lets his impressions cloud over everything else. Just seeing the rankings from various other media scouters, his rankings are always way off everyone else, when not discussing homerun guys like Kakko and Hughes.

I honestly have never been impressed with him as while I think he can show knowledge of what he is talking about at times, there is way too many times where he seems like a guy that doesn't know what he is talking about, if that makes sense.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Button is a joke. Alla these reporter lists are jokes. Those are just meant to create discussion with those "off-rankings". You create an off list, and people are arguing how they are wrong. The purpose for whole thing is just to be a clickbait.

Only list I would be interested in, would be Tyler Wright's or Al Murray's list.

As long I can't see them, I can go on my own.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Why is Byram a lock at 3, when did this unfold? Because Chicago is at #3 and need a new Keith, Seabrook?

He isn't a lock, but the top defender in the draft very unlikely falls out of the top 5.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
He isn't a lock, but the top defender in the draft very unlikely falls out of the top 5.

Did last season have better (deeper) skaters? Because a Dman wasn't picked until #7 and the kid (Dobson) who I thought was the stud of the draft wasn't picked until #12.

Is Byram head-and-shoulders better than any young dman projected in '18?

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Did last season have better (deeper) skaters? Because a Dman wasn't picked until #7 and the kid (Dobson) who I thought was the stud of the draft wasn't picked until #12.

The only reason a dman wasn't selected until 7th is because you had 2 teams in the top 4 going off the board to draft centers. If NYI hadn't gone off the board with Hayton and MTL with Kotkaniemi either Hughes or Bouchard was going 6th to us.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016

Yeah, last year was weird, because Arizona and Montreal went off the board, leaving more desirable players available. This year there are less top end defenders than last year as well, so that will have an affect as well.

I don't know if he is better or not, but there aren't very many at the top.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I get the appeal with Honka but I’d rather not.

Your list is good. I’m all about the USHL guys. So any of Lacombe, Jones, or Siedem would be good. Also would take a flier on Mike Koster and Ben Brinkman.

Big fan of Marshall Warren and I thought Thrun played really well at the U18s. Also like Justin Bergeron if we are including overagers.

Honestly I probably like the forwards better than the defenseman after round 1 for the most part...

Honka certainly has some warts and has had a forgettable season, but it is really hard to locate pure hockey skill (especially offensive skill) among this class of defensemen. With three second round picks I am willing to gamble. It isn't a strong class for defensemen, but the forward class isn't much better to be honest. Sadly, our defense isn't going to fix itself.

I agree that this is a good class of USHL players both in terms of defensemen and forwards. I won't be upset if we walk away with a couple of them.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Honka certainly has some warts and has had a forgettable season, but it is really hard to locate pure hockey skill (especially offensive skill) among this class of defensemen. With three second round picks I am willing to gamble. It isn't a strong class for defensemen, but the forward class isn't much better to be honest. Sadly, our defense isn't going to fix itself.

I agree that this is a good class of USHL players both in terms of defensemen and forwards. I won't be upset if we walk away with a couple of them.

If we can’t get someone like Thomson, Korczak, or Bjornfot in the 2nd I might look at the forwards and goalie.

I’d rather take a shot on someone like Warren over Honka in round 2, if I really want an offensive defenseman.

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad