Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Helene St James is the mouth piece of the organisation and if I remember correctly, Khan mentioned it as well. Pierre and Bob are not nearly as connected with the wings. If anything that would just be TSN going with the Michigan connection. The wings were taking Bouchard.

Dach is a better skater than Vilardi. Dach is a solid skater, hes just not a Cozens/Krebs/Turcotte skater so its getting harped on. I would say he might be comparable to someone like Mantha. Mantha is a great skater for a guy his size and when he winds it up, hes as fast as anyone but smaller guys accelerate better obviously. I would put Dach above average and Vilardi as average/probably well under average now that he hasnt played for so long

There's also a very likely chance that the Wings did not expect Hughes to fall to 6. It's entirely possible that their rankings 3-5 were Zadina, Hughes, Bouchard. HSJ and Khan were both harping on Bouchard before the draft season ever really got under way. "High output from a right handed defenseman" was all it took to get the beat writers to fire up the hype machine. I truly believe their sole purpose as beat writers is to generate clicks first, and provide insight second, and nothing in the world was going to get the casual fan base into a frenzy the way that the trigger words "offensive RHD" would move the needle, because it's all we've heard since Rafalski.

Just to weigh in on Dach, I think Mantha is probably faster, but Dach's edgework at his size is much more of a weapon.

Reactions: jkutswings

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
There's also a very likely chance that the Wings did not expect Hughes to fall to 6. It's entirely possible that their rankings 3-5 were Zadina, Hughes, Bouchard. HSJ and Khan were both harping on Bouchard before the draft season ever really got under way. "High output from a right handed defenseman" was all it took to get the beat writers to fire up the hype machine. I truly believe their sole purpose as beat writers is to generate clicks first, and provide insight second, and nothing in the world was going to get the casual fan base into a frenzy the way that the trigger words "offensive RHD" would move the needle, because it's all we've heard since Rafalski.

Just to weigh in on Dach, I think Mantha is probably faster, but Dach's edgework at his size is much more of a weapon.

They both came out after the draft and said had Zadina not fallen, Bouchard was gonna be their pick. The wings had already drafted Zadina, no need to hype anything and they were still saying they woulda taken Bouchard. I think Hughes looks good now and some posters like his style of play so theyre kinda changing the facts of the time to fit what they want.

As for Dach/Mantha, you might be right I was just making a rough comparison people on here would be able to understand easily. I would think overall their skating is decently comparable, and so is their size so it fits. I dont think Manthas skating would hold him back at all from being a center at the NHL level and I dont really have concerns for Dach, especially with Larkin and Veleno coming down the pipeline

lhsgolf19

Oct 4, 2016
Birmingham, MI
Button has his mock draft 3.0 on TSN, with Podkolzin falling all the way to Florida at 13:

https://www.tsn.ca/podkolzin-plummets-in-tsn-hockey-s-mock-draft-3-0-1.1296254

If Detroit had that hypothetical situation, with both Cozens and Turcotte available, I wonder which way they'd go.

(And Rangers fans would have to be thrilled, getting Kakko at 2 and York at 20.)
No disrespect to Cozens but I would be beyond pissed if we take him over Turcotte (if Byram & Dach are off the board)

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I have heard for well over a year that we didn't have Svechnikov two and were very high on Tkackuk. So I doubt that ranking guess.

What these teams say publicly often doesn't lineup with their board and with good reason given what the other 30 teams are also trying to accomplish. Bouchard likely slid on our board like he did others in my opinion.

Also individual scouts boards are spectacularly different. I have a friend in the industry with a different team that had Zadina at #19. When you have been doing it for years you can care less about the tsn draft board. It is a useful tool and for instance the group board of his team slotted Zadina higher than him but their lists are very different by and large.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I try to defend Button, but... man. I think Caufield at #5 is a huge overreaction. And same with Podkolzin. One tournament shouldn't be worth this much in terms of rankings.

He just wants people to be excited about Caufield.

I don't think any GM has the balls to take Caufield top 5. I would be kind of surprised if he even sneaks into the top 10. It's a different game when you have to put your neck on the line, and it's very obvious there are risks at play. Yes, DeBrincat is a great story and player so far... but that's 1 case.

Plus we saw Hughes do this with Wahlstrom last year. Plug someone in on that kid's wing and they are going to go off. I doubt very much that this tournament is going to vault Caufield to the extent people are thinking.

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
I don't think any GM has the balls to take Caufield top 5. I would be kind of surprised if he even sneaks into the top 10. It's a different game when you have to put your neck on the line, and it's very obvious there are risks at play. Yes, DeBrincat is a great story and player so far... but that's 1 case.
Somebody get Arizona on the phone. If they can take Hayton at 5, they can trade up from 14 for Caufield.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I try to defend Button, but... man. I think Caufield at #5 is a huge overreaction. And same with Podkolzin. One tournament shouldn't be worth this much in terms of rankings.
That small size of him will let him avoid defenders. He is going to be great. Podkolzin couple years from coming to NHL .From 4 to 15 not much difference, so teams will draft whatever they believe it's good for them. For us I would take Dach or Turcotte and no Cozens please

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
Hayton was considerably less risky and proved last year he’s pretty damn good.
Not saying he ended up a bad pick. Just that while some teams will take a straightforward approach, others will make what might seem a bold or unconventional move to get "their guy". And the latter scenario would improve the odds of Detroit landing a "consensus" top 5 player.

Reactions: The Zermanator

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Who are people hoping to take home outside of the first round at this point? It does not strike me as a hugely deep class (mainly due to the OHL being down), but it does have some interesting players (especially in the overage category). I keep looking for defensemen but find myself coming back to a class of Bjornfot, Misyul, Honka, Lacombe, Tuomisto, Constantinou and Attard (a favorite of mine). Someone talk me off the ledge with this group.

Thomson is still my perfect pick at 35 but I don't expect him to be there.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Who are people hoping to take home outside of the first round at this point? It does not strike me as a hugely deep class (mainly due to the OHL being down), but it does have some interesting players (especially in the overage category). I keep looking for defensemen but find myself coming back to a class of Bjornfot, Misyul, Honka, Lacombe, Tuomisto, Constantinou and Attard (a favorite of mine). Someone talk me off the ledge with this group.

Thomson is still my perfect pick at 35 but I don't expect him to be there.

I get the appeal with Honka but I’d rather not.

Your list is good. I’m all about the USHL guys. So any of Lacombe, Jones, or Siedem would be good. Also would take a flier on Mike Koster and Ben Brinkman.

Big fan of Marshall Warren and I thought Thrun played really well at the U18s. Also like Justin Bergeron if we are including overagers.

Honestly I probably like the forwards better than the defenseman after round 1 for the most part...

Reactions: CairneBloodhoof

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Not saying he ended up a bad pick. Just that while some teams will take a straightforward approach, others will make what might seem a bold or unconventional move to get "their guy". And the latter scenario would improve the odds of Detroit landing a "consensus" top 5 player.

Yeah if Byram somehow falls to 6 I'll be ecstatic, presuming they would pick him of course. There's usually a dman picked in the top 5 but since we know what 1 and 2 are going to be just 3 teams would need to opt for a centre for him to fall to us.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Things going to change one more time after they have physical just before the draft. Last year we got Zadina because of that.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Imagine Edmonton trades up to 6 for Dach (local boy) and Detroit takes Zegras 8th. Considering all the Yzerman/Holland stuff it would be under the microscope daily for years. Just a speculative fiction.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I'm really hopeful that one of Byram, Dach, or Turcotte will still be there for us to take at #6 :crossfing

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
Imagine Edmonton trades up to 6 for Dach (local boy) and Detroit takes Zegras 8th. Considering all the Yzerman/Holland stuff it would be under the microscope daily for years. Just a speculative fiction.
6 for 8 + 38 would be great for us , unfortunately Holland on the other side

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Doesn't look like we are getting Byram :(:(

But his mock has us passing on Turcotte for Cozens??

I’ve been expecting Byram to go top 5 since probably January.

That said, if you look at Button’s mock draft from last year, he did not predict any pick correctly in the 4-9 range.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I’ve been expecting Byram to go top 5 since probably January.

That said, if you look at Button’s mock draft from last year, he did not predict any pick correctly in the 4-9 range.
no he didn't , but his mocks were not much off

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Last season I was crazy high on Noah Dobson. I thought he was going to be the rave. When I saw him drop (since he was predicted to go #4), I was like OMG it's happening! Then Wings took Zadina, I was beyond disbelief that we skipped on Dobson. It was so bitter sweet.

Fast forward to 2019, now Byram is predicted to go top 5. He might be another that "drops" like Dobson did.

Dach, Cozens and Turcotte all have their knocks against them. I'm not sure what Byram's knocks are. But I remember Dobson didn't have any knocks. He was just the ultimate all-around dman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad