Prospect Info: 2019 Draft Talk (Part Deux)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Maybe... but I wouldn’t put much stock into the HF mock draft, if that’s what you’re basing this off.

Especially considering the voting is a mix of people picking names that they want their team to pick, and people picking names that they think their team should pick, and people picking names that they think their team would pick.

There is no consistency in that mock, and many people picking based on consensus rankings, scouting reports, highlight videos, or what someone once told them about a player.

Reactions: ealong59 and lilidk

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Especially considering the voting is a mix of people picking names that they want their team to pick, and people picking names that they think their team should pick, and people picking names that they think their team would pick.

There is no consistency in that mock, and many people picking based on consensus rankings, scouting reports, highlight videos, or what someone once told them about a player.

Yup, no one wanted Tkachuk top 5 on here last year.... still picked #4.

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Do you guys think, with Connolly and Koekkoek each not working out largely due to injury problems, that Yzerman will be wary of drafting Turcotte?

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
Do you guys think, with Connolly and Koekkoek each not working out largely due to injury problems, that Yzerman will be wary of drafting Turcotte?

I don’t think it’s anything we need to be concerned about because it seems more and more likely that Turcotte won’t be available at #6.

That being said, I don’t think it’s a factor for Yzerman. He’s never been afraid to go against the grain when it comes to what is expected. Drafting Russian, drafting goalies highly. As long as the medical staff clears Turcotte, I can’t see Yzerman being afraid to select him, if he’s there.

Michael Brand Eggs

Knee Guard
Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Not gonna lie, this description of Cam York's game makes him sound like a helluva catch. I didn't see all this during the U-18s, but I thought he was good. Maybe I missed it.

9. Cam York — LHD, USDP, 5-foot-11
It’s hard to believe, given just how great York’s season was, that I still think he has flown under the radar in scouting circles in terms of just how talented he is. Part of that is probably driven by the strength of this national development program forward crop but York is a star in his own right and is clearly the second-best defencemen in this draft for me. While Hughes and Caufield were making headlines for their record-breaking seasons, York was putting together a campaign (1.03 points per game) that surpassed Erik Johnson (0.94) and Adam Fox (0.92) to set the national program’s record for points by a defenceman with 65. He should have been named the top defenceman at U18 Worlds over Philip Broberg, too. York doesn’t have the flash, the speed, or the lateral quickness of program alum Quinn Hughes but he plays one of the most efficient games you’ll see out of an 18-year-old defenceman, he picks his spots to activate as a shooter, he find forwards in transition or across the zone without hesitating and he’s an excellent man-on-man defender despite lacking strength. He’s going to be really, really good in today’s NHL.

Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2019 NHL Draft's top 100...

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Good, but not top 9 good in my opinion. The gulf offensively between him and Byram is pretty big in my opinion. He is definitely built for the modern game though.

Aside from size, what do you think Byram does significantly better than York?

ricky0034

Jun 8, 2010
Kicking off the beginning of "final draft speculation" season, here is a piece from Scott Wheeler with The Athletic. Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2019 NHL Draft's top 100...

Top 10 (with change from midseason):
Hughes (NC)
Kakko (NC)
Turcotte (+5)
Cozens (-1)
Byram (+2)
Krebs (-2)
Boldy (-2)
Dach (-2)
York (+1)
Caufield (+1)

I feel like at some point between Podkolzin being 3 and outside the top 10 it crosses over from "different" into "tough to take this list seriously" territory

like that guy on the prospect board that posts lists with Hughes as like the #5

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012

I think he is a bit more creative with the puck in the offensive zone, shows better vision and plays /thinks faster. I am not sold on York being a consistent PP contributor at the next level notwithstanding his NDTP production.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think he is a bit more creative with the puck in the offensive zone, shows better vision and plays /thinks faster. I am not sold on York being a consistent PP contributor at the next level notwithstanding his NDTP production.

Yeah, I think York is pretty similar to Ty Smith from last year... and it’s debatable Byram had a better year than him while being a year younger.

Defenseman are hard to evaluate. I feel like York is smart and has some room for improvement.

DetroitRed

Crashes the Crease
Apr 7, 2013
Detroit
Byram compared to York:

I like York a lot, but I'm cautious because he plays on a team where a lot of the key players have been together for about two years. When they play in international tournaments, his team plays against teams who've only been together for a matter of days, weeks or a month.

So, team USA had the top four in points at IIHF U18 2019, York was among them. York is also a defender, making that more impressive. However, because the top guys for USA are together for years, whereas (for example) team Canada musters its team after the OHL, WHL, QMJHL seasons end, I'm more impressed with the numbers from Krebs (C), who finished 5th in points at IIHF U18 2019, than I am with those of anyone else.

Byram is also a defender. He is at the top (#1) in P/G in the WHL playoffs for guys who played 8 or more games. He is 1.29 P/G, good enough for 3rd over all. Compare that to Dach (C) at .80 p/g (48th over all) in the WHL playoffs. So, solid performance from Byram!

Just for the sake of more perspective, Cozens (C) played in both the WHL playoffs and at IIHF U18 2019. Cozens was 1.14 p/g in the playoffs (good enough for 9th over all), and 1.28 at IIHF (good enough for 8th over all, tied with Turcotte).

Last edited:

jkutswings

hot piss hockey
Jul 10, 2014
These conversations sound like Byram would be a fine pick if he's still there at 6, while York would be a stellar guy to target if he slides into the teens. Both have good odds to play well in the NHL, but Bowen is a notch above, at least at the moment.

YpsiWings

Feb 5, 2016
These conversations sound like Byram would be a fine pick if he's still there at 6, while York would be a stellar guy to target if he slides into the teens. Both have good odds to play well in the NHL, but Bowen is a notch above, at least at the moment.

I’m of the opinion that Byram at 6 is a slam dunk. He looks like that legit #1 that contributes at both ends of the ice, it’s been a while since I have wanted a prospect as much as I do Byram.

Reactions: HisNoodliness

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Kicking off the beginning of "final draft speculation" season, here is a piece from Scott Wheeler with The Athletic. Wheeler: Final ranking for the 2019 NHL Draft's top 100...

Top 10 (with change from midseason):
Hughes (NC)
Kakko (NC)
Turcotte (+5)
Cozens (-1)
Byram (+2)
Krebs (-2)
Boldy (-2)
Dach (-2)
York (+1)
Caufield (+1)

I dont subscribe so I cant read the article... Is he basing this list off of scouts hes talked to? Or is this him scouting for the draft and putting his own list together?

I'm not sure how I would feel if the wings took Boldy over Dach. A 6'4 center with that kind of skill is really tough to pass on

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I dont subscribe so I cant read the article... Is he basing this list off of scouts hes talked to? Or is this him scouting for the draft and putting his own list together?

I'm not sure how I would feel if the wings took Boldy over Dach. A 6'4 center with that kind of skill is really tough to pass on

Scott Wheeler and Corey Pronman both heavily rely on their own scouting when it comes to assemble their lists for The Athletic. Obviously they probably have had conversations with other scouts, coaches, etc but I don’t think it’s a major factor in the lists they assemble. If I had to guess, based on the pieces he’s written to this point, I’d say it’s about 98-99% his scouting and 1% input from other sources.

These are just the players he likes based on his criteria, and I’m sure he would absolutely say this shouldn’t be confused with a mock draft order.

He has actually some nice things to say about Dach. His reservations were surprising to me though. He mentions his biggest concern is exactly how high Dach’s upside is. Says he will definitely be a good NHL center, but right now he’s unclear if there’s #1 upside or if he’s a productive #2.

I think it just goes to show you how different opinions can be, because most things I’ve seen written to date talk about how dynamic Dach is and how he could be a very high upside player. And then you look at how he feels about Krebs, which is pretty notably different than what the consensus would indicate. It’s all very interesting, and I hope we get some more variance and speculation from the main sources in the coming weeks. We will learn infinitely more from being exposed to the concerns that people have with our personal favorite options than we will with the same old conversations.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

No, definitely purely his own rankings.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Ohh I feel like there was someone that wanted Tkachuk, @The Zetterberg Era . That was a great call too, much better rookie year than I anticipated.

I had Tkachuk at four, but I was a big fan. I was hoping he would slip and not Zadina. Really a lot of what people are saying about Kakko I saw in Tkachuk at a higher level than I felt Kakko has in terms of his downlow play and how hard he competes. He is going to be a very good player as is his older brother for a very long time in my opinion.

I like Turcotte a lot but if you combined these two drafts, Jack Hughes is the only guy that would join my top 5. I liked the top of last years draft more.

Reactions: Realgud

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I would give Byram the edge in terms of skating between the two. I would especially consider his first few steps a little higher end. I like York a lot though, he has been flirting with my top 10. I like Broberg and York a lot when everyone says it is a bad defensive year. Not as high on Byram though either in terms of the people throwing top 3 to top 5 grades on him.

Would be fine selecting him, just saying I think there is some risk there.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Who is all thought of as NHL ready for next season? Hughes and Kakko probably but is there anyone else?

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I had Tkachuk at four, but I was a big fan. I was hoping he would slip and not Zadina. Really a lot of what people are saying about Kakko I saw in Tkachuk at a higher level than I felt Kakko has in terms of his downlow play and how hard he competes. He is going to be a very good player as is his older brother for a very long time in my opinion.

I like Turcotte a lot but if you combined these two drafts, Jack Hughes is the only guy that would join my top 5. I liked the top of last years draft more.[
last year we had 4 NHL ready draft picks . How many do you think this year ? for sure we have Hughes and Kakko, but who else ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad