Prospect Info: 2019 Draft | Round 2: Pick #48 - Artemi Kniazev (D) | Chicoutimi (QMJHL)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Wu6qLr.png

2nd round, Pick # 48:Artemi Kniazev (D) | Chicoutimi Saguneens(QMJHL)
GettyImages_1048001748.0.jpg

WuJtT2.png

HandL
Birthday (Age)Jan 04, 2001 (18)
HometownKazan, Russia
Height5'11
Weight176 lbs
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
WuJ6uT.png

• Pick acquired from Vegas for Pick #41 (previously acquired for Justin Braun)
  • Ranked first in pull-ups at the 2019 draft combine
  • Came through the Ak Bars Kazan system in Russia before moving to Quebec
  • Alternately spells his last name "Knyazev"
  • 10th overall pick in the 2018 CHL Import Draft
  • Won a bronze medal with Russia at the 2018-19 Ivan Hlinka Memorial U18 tournament

WuJZeo.png

Central Scouting Bureau41 NA Skater
Craig Button (TSN)N/R
Bob McKenzie (TSN)54
The Hockey News58
HockeyProspects.com Black Book68
Future Considerations58
McKeen's112
Corey Pronman (The Athletic)N/R
International Scouting Service46
EliteProspects.com59
HockeyProspector21
TheDraftAnalyst109
DobberHockey.comN/R
LastWordOnHockey.com68
Tryamkin (HF Poster)100
PKAnalyst (HF Poster)50
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*N/R = Not Ranked. Keep in mind that the number of ranked prospects differs by outlet. a "N/R" listing on Bob McKenzie or Craig Button run their lists 93 players deep, whereas something like Black Book has a couple hundred players ranked.

WuJgy9.png

WuJIQi.png

A puck-moving offensive defenseman, Knyazev has a very fluid skating stride and displays seamless edges and great acceleration
-Future Considerations

two-way defenceman … excellent skater … strong puck-mover … makes a good first pass … stands up at the blue-line … confidence in his mobility.
-ISS

Drafted in the first round, 10th overall, in the 2018 CHL Import Draft, Artemi Kniazev had an excellent rookie season with the Chicoutimi Sagueneens. He scored 13 goals and 21 assists for 34 points in 55 games. He also scored two assists in four playoff games, but the Sagueneens fell in four straight games to the higher seeded Rimouski Oceanic.
Kniazev has been a regular for Russia at the international level. Last summer, he played on the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup team, coming home with a bronze medal. He also played for Team Russia at this winter’s World Junior A Hockey Championships, scoring two goals in six tournament games. Last season, Kniazev played in the Under-17 World Hockey Challenge, putting up a goal and two assists for three points in five tournament games. He won a gold medal at the European Youth Olympic Festival in 2017, putting up four goals and 12 points in four games.

Projection and Comparison

Kniazev has the potential to be an offensive defenceman. There is room to improve his defensive game, with better positioning and discipline. While it is unlikely that he will ever become a defensive stalwart, he has the tools to be passable as an NHL defenceman if he develops well. He will be a bit of a project and the team that drafts him will need to have patience with his development. Expect him to be back in the QMJHL for a couple of years before going to the AHL. His game is reminiscent of Marek Zidlicky, however, this is a stylistic comparison only and not one based on skill and ability.

-LastWordOnHockey

Smooth skating, puck moving defenseman who excels at a solid two-way game and has looked sharp after making the transition from the MHL to the QMJHL with Chicoutimi. Exudes confidence in his game with skating and puck-moving and always gives a solid breakout pass.
-Tryamkin

Kniazev was a key player in Chicoutimi’s rebuilding year. The Saguenéens had a strong core of 16-year-old and 17-year-old players on their team. Kniazev came over from Russia after the Saguenéens drafted him this past June in the CHL Import Draft with the 9th overall pick.
An above-average skater, the young Russian defenseman likes to carry the puck from his own zone. Chicoutimi was a great place to play for him, as they play on a wider ice surface there. He likes to take advantage of the additional space on the ice that’s available to him by rushing the puck as often as he can. He scored 10 of his 13 goals on home ice this season. He’s quick to get the puck out of his zone, either by using his feet or making a quick passes in transition. His decision-making is quick; he has a good first pass out of his zone and he’s very helpful for his team’s transition game.
Offensively, he creates a lot of plays with his skating abilities. He’s quite active in the offensive zone, trying to create scoring chances for himself or a teammate. He scored 7 of his 13 goals on the power play this season. What he lacks in order to be considered a premiere offensive defenseman is that great on-ice vision, as his is only average. We would like to see him create more plays with his passing plays and vision. He’s capable of making some high-end passing plays, but there’s some inconsistency with him there. He’s got a good wrist shot with good velocity and accuracy. He prefers using his wrist shot over his slapper, as there is a lot more accuracy and velocity with his wrist shot. He can contribute offensively, as shown with his 13 goals, but for an offensive defenseman in the QMJHL, his assist and point totals are a bit low (21 assists and 34 points). Defensively, he made some good strides this year. He looked a bit like a liability at the beginning of the season, but the more the season progressed, the more he was confident as a defender. He uses his good footwork well to retrieve pucks in his zone and he’s quick to apply pressure on the puck-carrier entering his zone.
Even if he’s not big, he competes well along the boards and is unafraid. He won’t ever be known as a physical defenseman, but at least he competes well along the boards and can dish out some hits here and there. His one-on-one defensive coverage has gotten better over the course of the season. He just needs to get stronger physically so that he can compete better versus bigger and stronger players along the boards and in front of the net. Kniazev has a lot of good things going for him, including good offensive potential and the fact that he is pretty mobile on the ice. Starting next season, he should be one of the top offensive defensemen in the QMJHL, playing on a good, young and talented team in Chicoutimi.
-HockeyProspects Black Book

Another undersized defenceman in this draft, Knyazev plays the game with high pace and energy.
He's not seen as a player who will be on a first powerplay unit at the NHL level, but he could be on the second. Scouts love his enthusiastic approach to the game, knowing full well he'll have to play a more controlled style for his game to translate to the next level. "HE's like a ball of energy" said a scout.
"Everything he does is quick and explosive and fast. You'd rather tame a tiger than paint stripes on a goat. He has to slowi t down a little, but you've got to be careful because you don't want to take away his best attribute, which is how hard he plays."
Knyazev is on the slight side, but he makes up for it with high-end skill. And he has an ability to get on pucks in the defensive zone and get them going back the other way. "he moves the puck, and if he can't, he can get it out with his skates," said another scout. "He can rush with it if he has to."
The Russian is not shy about playing a physical game as well. He's shown good gap control and a willingness to hit in the corners.
Best Case: Samuel Girard.
-The Hockey News

POTENTIAL:
Upside: #3 Two-Way Defenceman
Floor: #4 Two-Way Defenceman
COMPARABLE: Josh Morrissey SCOUTING REPORT: I realize full well that odds are really good that Artemi Kniazev (or is it Knyazev? – I’ve seen it both ways) is more than likely going to end up a 2nd round pick for some lucky team. Obviously, I think that is a massive steal! I have him ranked higher than a lot of really good players. That just goes to show how highly I think of him and that I really believe his game is going to translate to the pros. I got my first look at Artemi Kniazev at the Hlinka-Gretzky Cup and I was impressed right away with his smooth skating ability and the way he was able to move the puck. He makes an excellent outlet pass out of the zone and he can skate it out of trouble as well, if that’s the better option. He’s a very strong puck-handler and makes nice tape-to-tape passes to his teammates. I thought he was Russia’s best defenceman by quite a bit at that tournament. Whenever he’d get the puck, he showed the ability to take command and control the play. He has the ability to break away from forecheckers with quick turns all the while maintaining good puck control. I thought he made a really nice transition to the North American game with Chicoutimi. He scored some big goals for that club and was their best defenceman. He’s a player with a really good offensive game and he’s got some surprising creativity and imagination. He’s a hard worker and battles hard along the boards. What I feel sets him apart from a lot of players is his excellent decision-making and just how smart of a player he is overall. I think that when he fully develops, Artemi Kniazev will be a really good middle-pairing defenceman for whichever team that is smart enough to draft him. COMPARABLE:
Kniazev reminds me a lot of Josh Morrissey at the same age and I find that they have a comparable skillset and see the ice much the same way. Both are excellent skaters, plays a solid two-way game that includes an offensive component and both players are able to make great reads thanks to excellent hockey IQ. With some players, it’s sometimes less clear as to how well their game is going to translate to the NHL... for me I think this kid is going a player and I’ll be surprise if he's not.
-TheHockeyProspector

A high-flying defenseman with a powerful stride, Knyazev is a skilled puck mover who had an impressive first year as a European import playing in the QMJHL. He ranked third among first-year blueliners with 13 goals and 21 assists in 55 games, in addition to playing for Russia at the under-18 Ivan Hlinka and under-20 World Jr. A Challenge. His play in major junior, however, was far more indicative of his natural skill set than what you saw in international events, as he was a key figure in running Chicoutimi’s offense as opposed to his support role for Russia.
Knyazev is an excellent skater with noticeable agility and lateral quickness. He owns an explosive first step and covers ground in a hurry. It only takes his a few strides to go from the neutral zone right into the thick of things near the net, and his involvement in so many plays expands the ice for his teammates. Knyazev loves to join the rush if he isn’t initiating one himself, and he can blister the puck as a trailer cruising into the high slot. He definitely is more of a shooter than a playmaker, but Knyazev’s vision, pass accuracy and hands are strong enough to make him the ideal option to run a power play. He’s no stopper on defense and makes up for his physical shortcomings with a quick stick and reading plays correctly.
-TheDraftAnalyst

Last edited:
Reactions: NiWa and Kcoyote3

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
He's a puckmover on the left side, we need that. Could be really good for us in a few years.

KirbyDots

May 10, 2011
Not to derail the thread, but what’s up with Merkley these days?
Pissing in people's cereal. Questionable effort and maturity but mad skills. Seems to be struggling to learn good habits, though his skill is amazing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad