Prospect Info: 2018 NHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
Anyone have any info on Albin Eriksson?

Albin Eriksson
I mentioned him earlier in the thread, like him a lot. Big RH winger, skates well, nice puck skills. Not super physical, definitely more of a skill player but he has a bit of a temper. Kind of reminds me of Laine stylistically, minus the huge shot but how he controls and carries the puck. Someone had him pretty high on a list, might have been Button? I think there’s a chance he goes in the first with that combo of size & skill (depending on SHL & WJC-18 performance), but right now probably more like 30-75th.

I’m also a huge fan of his linemate Berggren, maybe even more so than Eriksson. He’s small but so damn smart and skilled that he can really dominate at the U20 level at times. If he slides because of his size, someone could be in for a massive steal.

Reactions: Redder Winger

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
I don’t know. If we’re in a position where Veleno is reasonable, I think a Wright-led scouting staff takes him. Reads like one of our picks to a T. Larkin-seque if Larkin were more highly regarded as a young teen.

I’m legitimately scared of us drafting a defenseman though. I really worry about our ability to select and develop them.
I was mostly joking but it does fit a handful of possible picks. I understand your concern about defenseman, but it'd be a bad idea to stop trying. It is not a sure thing they go defense this year in round 1, but it's the most likely scenario I think.

Reactions: Reddwit

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Formerly Vatican Roulette
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
I mentioned him earlier in the thread, like him a lot. Big RH winger, skates well, nice puck skills. Not super physical, definitely more of a skill player but he has a bit of a temper. Kind of reminds me of Laine stylistically, minus the huge shot but how he controls and carries the puck. Someone had him pretty high on a list, might have been Button? I think there’s a chance he goes in the first with that combo of size & skill (depending on SHL & WJC-18 performance), but right now probably more like 30-75th.

I’m also a huge fan of his linemate Berggren, maybe even more so than Eriksson. He’s small but so damn smart and skilled that he can really dominate at the U20 level at times. If he slides because of his size, someone could be in for a massive steal.

Thanks. Do you think either of them are NHL players with their skill set?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
.I’m legitimately scared of us drafting a defenseman though. I really worry about our ability to select and develop them.

Big fan of the defenseman available this year (compared to last year). Any of Quinn Hughes, Ty Smith, K’Andre Miller, Noah Dobson, Bode Wilde, would be great picks in my book.

My biggest worry is that we will “reach” for one of these centers. Hoping we stay away from Hayton, McLeod, or Veleno with a top 15 selection. As much as I’d prefer not to take a winger with your top selection, I much prefer Zadina or Wahlstrom to any of those guys.

Again though, I think defenseman is the best route for us to go this year with the first pick.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Big fan of the defenseman available this year (compared to last year). Any of Quinn Hughes, Ty Smith, K’Andre Miller, Noah Dobson, Bode Wilde, would be great picks in my book.

My biggest worry is that we will “reach” for one of these centers. Hoping we stay away from Hayton, McLeod, or Veleno with a top 15 selection. As much as I’d prefer not to take a winger with your top selection, I much prefer Zadina or Wahlstrom to any of those guys.

Again though, I think defenseman is the best route for us to go this year with the first pick.

Yeah, I know. I’m definitely being melodramatic about it. It’s moreso just a nagging thought when I get excited about the D talent we have access to.

It’s funny though because I actually think it might be easier to predict defense prospects than it was, say, 10 years ago. We’re almost in an era where offensive really is the best defenseman. You don’t really have to find the offensive guy who will absorb the defensive game in time. Or find the strongest two-way guy who projects well. Or find the defensive guy who is most likely to hone his offensive game among men. Mostly, if you take a good skating D with good vison/skill and/or good positional awareness, you have a good chance of getting what you paid for. Gone are the days when size and strength were a big factor as defenseman (and forecheckers) could clutch, grab, interfere, hook and slash their way into effectiveness. I probably should be more excited about the D prospects (especially considering how much I’ve seen of Q Hughes this year) but old habits due hard.

ChadS

Jun 30, 2009
What about Merkley? I’ve only seen some highlights of him.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What about Merkley? I’ve only seen some highlights of him.

Started the year really high on him. The skill level is still super high. Maybe the best skating draft eligible defenseman I’ve ever seen (at least laterally). But he just continues to go rogue and he will flat out give up on plays defensively. Even when it’s his own turnover. I’ve heard he’s not very coachable, they’ve had 2 coaches in Guelph now, and he’s still pulling the same stuff. Probably the biggest boom/bust guy in this draft class. You’d either have to bet that he pulls his head out of his ass as he gets older, or you can break through to him in a way his coaches haven’t been able to so far. Does not seem like a Red Wings pick to me, and as time goes I’m finding it harder to defend the kid.

Really kind of hoping for a LHD at the top of this draft. Ty Smith and Quinn Hughes probably fit the bill best among NA guys, despite being a bit undersized. Don’t like any of the NA centers really, although not sure about the Euro’s (Kupari and Kotkaniemi) in this draft? Also Alexeyev (WHL) is an interesting option for a LHD that has elevated his play recently.

Last edited:
Reactions: Leronziia and ChadS

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
At this point the team needs to go high risk high reward. They don't need another guy with a high floor and low ceiling that will end up as a middle 6 center, top 6 winger or #3-6 D-man.

Reactions: Reddwit

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Started the year really high on him. The skill level is still super high. Maybe the best skating draft eligible defenseman I’ve ever seen (at least laterally). But he just continues to go rogue and he will flat out give up on plays defensively. Even when it’s his own turnover. I’ve heard he’s not very coachable, they’ve had 2 coaches in Guelph now, and he’s still pulling the same stuff. Probably the biggest boom/bust guy in this draft class. You’d either have to bet that he pulls his head out of his ass as he gets older, or you can break through to him in a way his coaches haven’t been able to so far. Does not seem like a Red Wings pick to me, and as time goes I’m finding it harder to defend the kid.

Really kind of hoping for a LHD at the top of this draft. Ty Smith and Quinn Hughes probably fit the bill best among NA guys, despite being a bit undersized. Don’t like any of the NA centers really, although not sure about the Euro’s (Kupari and Kotkaniemi) in this draft? Also Alexeyev (WHL) is an interesting option for a LHD that has elevated his play recently.

I agree, no thanks on Merkley

Hughes or Smith are not bad options. I like the Euro centers and would be fine with either of those, well, depending on draft position.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Who do you have in mind?

Until I know how Detroit will end up this year I have no idea. Part of me sees Holland and Blash doing everything possible to get bounced in the first round meaning that they will be drafting around 15 and that's one set of players. If they decide to let nature actually take its course I see this team finishing near the bottom (5-7th) and that's a whole different question.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Until I know how Detroit will end up this year I have no idea. Part of me sees Holland and Blash doing everything possible to get bounced in the first round meaning that they will be drafting around 15 and that's one set of players. If they decide to let nature actually take its course I see this team finishing near the bottom (5-7th) and that's a whole different question.

Fair.

If they finish 5-7, who do you want?
If they finish around 15, who do you want?

Syckle78

Nov 5, 2011
Redford, MI
At this point the team needs to go high risk high reward. They don't need another guy with a high floor and low ceiling that will end up as a middle 6 center, top 6 winger or #3-6 D-man.
I'm not sure I agree with this. Middle six centers and 3/4 defensemen have value. Completely shitting the bed with our early firsts sets us back big time. Yea I want to prioritize skill and speed over size and grit but going full gamble is something a middle of the road team that lucked into a lottery win has the luxury of doing.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Hopefully we pick up another 1st rounder. Then we would have 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds.

1st - Ty Smith - D (WHL)
1st - Noah Dobson - D (QMJHL)
2nd - Philipp Kurashev - C (QMJHL)
2nd - Milos Roman - C (WHL)
3rd - Kevin Bahl - D (OHL)
3rd - Semyon Der-Aruchintsev - C (OHL)

Last edited:

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
I'm not sure I agree with this. Middle six centers and 3/4 defensemen have value. Completely ****ting the bed with our early firsts sets us back big time. Yea I want to prioritize skill and speed over size and grit but going full gamble is something a middle of the road team that lucked into a lottery win has the luxury of doing.

If you're in the top 10 you don't need a high risk pick.
But it needs to be high reward.
If you're at 20 or 25, then you're more likely to have to take risks to get the high reward.

Voodoo Glow Skulls

Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Hopefully we pick up another 1st rounder. Then we would have 2 picks in each of the first 3 rounds.

1st - Ty Smith - D (WHL)
1st - Noah Dobson - D (QMJHL)
2nd - Philipp Kurashev - C (QMJHL)
2nd - Milos Roman - C (WHL)
3rd - Kevin Bahl - D (OHL)
3rd - Semyon Der-Aruchintsev - C (OHL)

Good list. Might not be the players I would pick, but it address Detroit's needs and takes some risks.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016

Curious - what do you think Detroit “doing everything they can” looks like? They can’t really add salary unless they lose a key player (to LTIR or trade) and then it’s kind of a matter of robbing Peter to pay Paul. And I’m of the opinion that the reason they’re riding Z, Kronwall, Green, and Howard so hard so early is because they see the vets as their only opportunity to lock up points early. What do you think they could have up their sleeve?

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
Curious - what do you think Detroit “doing everything they can” looks like? They can’t really add salary unless they lose a key player (to LTIR or trade) and then it’s kind of a matter of robbing Peter to pay Paul. And I’m of the opinion that the reason they’re riding Z, Kronwall, Green, and Howard so hard so early is because they see the vets as their only opportunity to lock up points early. What do you think they could have up their sleeve?

Playing Howard 60+ games. Playing Z 20+ minutes a night. Not selling at the TDL if they are close to a playoff spot, playing to get to OT/SO for extra points by playing the likes of Glendening during the third period of tied games. Right now they should be using this season to try to rebuild Mrazek's stock, letting Larkin try to play top 6 center every game, playing Z as a third line center, and be selling Green and others at the TDL.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
I'm not sure I agree with this. Middle six centers and 3/4 defensemen have value. Completely ****ting the bed with our early firsts sets us back big time. Yea I want to prioritize skill and speed over size and grit but going full gamble is something a middle of the road team that lucked into a lottery win has the luxury of doing.

Middle six centers and middle pairing defenseman can have all the value they want - they’re still attainable in free agency and in a trade. Hell, look at our roster. We are chock full of middle six centers and defenseman who could play behind a legitimate top pairing. We aren’t lacking there. But we are lacking in high skill players with high ceilings. At this point, you can be content going big on skill. Cholowski is the only guy who fits that bill in years as one of our first rounders anyways. We’ve been just as (if not more often) burnt by going with the responsible choice with our highest pick than not. And with so many “undersized” guys thriving in today’s league, all the more reason to prioritize skill.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Playing Howard 60+ games. Playing Z 20+ minutes a night. Not selling at the TDL if they are close to a playoff spot, playing to get to OT/SO for extra points by playing the likes of Glendening during the third period of tied games. Right now they should be using this season to try to rebuild Mrazek's stock, letting Larkin try to play top 6 center every game, playing Z as a third line center, and be selling Green and others at the TDL.

Ok, I see what you mean. I’m hoping we’ll have a big enough gap between a playoff spot and our spot in the standings to keep us from making those decisions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad