GDT: 2018 IIHF World Junior Championship/Buffalo, NY/Gold-Canada/Silver-Sweden/Bronze-United States

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
I like his skills a lot. I have been very high on him but do not think he plays tough enough under pressure. He has the skill set to be better than just bottom 6. That is what gets to me.

Don't think so. He's never had elite puck skills or vision.

He's good offensively at the OHL level...but isn't one of the more dangerous players in the league. His point totals are good but a lot of them came earlier on in the season. In the second half of the season, the league gets tougher.

I'm no scout, but I watched him all year and I'll be really surprised if he's ever a top 6 player.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
I'm still buzzing from talking to Chris Drury for five minutes. What an awesome guy. He asks questions too. We talked about Lias over Casey (needs a center and sees him as a future captain) but he also says he sees Casey putting up 85+ points a year playing with Jack. Also talked Sean Day and how nice Buffalo is. Still young looking. What an incredible guy.
The hockey was great too, and it's a shame you can't see Casey away from the puck.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
Don't think so. He's never had elite puck skills or vision.

He's good offensively at the OHL level...but isn't one of the more dangerous players in the league. His point totals are good but a lot of them came earlier on in the season. In the second half of the season, the league gets tougher.

I'm no scout, but I watched him all year and I'll be really surprised if he's ever a top 6 player.

I'm no scout either but I have seen him have games where his skating, passing, face-offs were superb. With his size I was thrilled. But you are right--his game fell off and I have been mystified as to why.

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
So cool. Great to hear. What did he say about Day?

Pretty much what the scouting reports have said - he has all the tools in the world but can't put it together consistently. Also that his brother having problems hurt him.

Day looked more dominant with Windsor than he has with USA this tournament. He knows it, too. I had a nice long talk with Sean yesterday and he's a great kid with an easy going sense of humor. He used to play with Alex Nylander in Mississauga and said Alex is one of most superstitious guys he knows, which is the opposite of Sean. The story he told reminded me of the guy in Major League. I don't want to get into hearsay but it was pretty funny. :laugh: Sean didn't have any worries about Alex's ability to play, though.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I'm still buzzing from talking to Chris Drury for five minutes. What an awesome guy. He asks questions too. We talked about Lias over Casey (needs a center and sees him as a future captain) but he also says he sees Casey putting up 85+ points a year playing with Jack. Also talked Sean Day and how nice Buffalo is. Still young looking. What an incredible guy.
The hockey was great too, and it's a shame you can't see Casey away from the puck.

That's really cool.

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
Before the draft I said I'd have no issue if Botterill selected Lias Andersson. He's NHL ready now and will be be a star.

I was happy that Mittelstadt fell to us but I really had no idea he was this talented. He's Eichel talented and I didn't expect that.

hmm.. Eichel had almost 2PPG as a freshman. I don't think Casey will get near that but his skills are Eichel like.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
#WorldJuniors‏ @HC_WJC -
GOAL! @mattphillips_8 gets his stick on a slap-pass from @joshmahura and Canada is within one with four minutes left!
GOAL! @cliffp_28 ties the game for Canada with 2:25 to go ... it's a 4-4 game!
GOAL! @mattphillips_8 tucks it past Luukkonen with 1:38 left and Canada has a 5-4 lead!
Finland ties the game with 28.9 seconds left ... 5-5!
A wild third period ends 5-5! Canada and Finland are off to overtime!
Game Over! @MikeyMcLeod9 gets the OT winner and Canada edges Finland 6-5.

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY

Casey Mittelstadt recorded a pair of assists to lead United States to a 3-2 win over the Swedes. He now has eight points (3+5) in four games.
"I, like everyone on the team, am trying to play my best to show the coaches and myself that I can play at this level," Mittelstadt said.

Mittelstadt did not make last year's World Junior Championship squad, so he feels as if he has a lot to prove this time around.
"Last year was a big learning lesson for myself. I did a lot to get back here and I know what to expect.
I came here with a purpose and just want to keep playing well."

Marcus Davidsson, who has one assist, is continuing to enjoy his time on the ice despite the results. Sweden is 1-2-0 through three games.
"The week is going really well. While as a team we might not be getting the wins like we hoped, I am feeling better and better with every shift.
The first shifts earlier in the showcase, it was difficult getting used to the smaller rinks.
Now after playing on them for a few games, I am really liking them."

Cliff Pu helped Team Canada rally back late in the third period in an eventual 6-5 win over Finland.
Pu redirected a shot in with 2:25 left in regulation to tie the game 4-4.
Canada was then able to take the lead, but Finland tallied in the final 30 seconds to knot it back up in an action-packed end to regulation.
Michael McLeod (2017, NJD) potted the overtime winner for the Canadians.
"I was trying to get to the front of the net and make it tough for Luukkonen to see," Pu said.
"One of the keys against Luukkonen and any tall goaltender, is to get bodies and traffic in front of him."

The goaltender mentioned, Ukko-Pekka Luukkonen is listed at 6-foot-4, 198 pounds.
Even after the loss, he remained positive.
"Unfortunately, we were not able to come away with the win," Luukkonen said.
"I feel I'm getting better with every opportunity I get to play, and that is really what this week is about."

Last edited:

LaxSabre

Apr 19, 2006
North Tonawanda, NY
Missed todays games due to some circumstances beyond my control - sorta glad I did because Mittelstadt, Pu, Davidsson sat out/Luukkonen backed up.
Bad news for today but good news for Saturdays United States-Canada game - we should get a Mittelstadt-Pu match-up.
Also hope it means that Luukkonen gets the start in net when Finland faces Sweden and Davidsson.

Last edited:

Dingo44

We already won the trade
Sponsor
Jul 21, 2015
Greensboro, NC
Both games were fun to watch. Saw a guy in a Mississauga Austin Osmanski jersey! Talked to him and it turns out he's a Florida Panthers season ticket holder who likes game worn jerseys but he was also rooting for the kid.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad