Line Combos: 2018-19 Starting Roster II

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Whileee

May 29, 2010
Q did not like Dano, so that is why Chicago got rid of him...

But Dano went to Chicago not because CBJ didn't like him, but because Bowman *DID* like him.
Chevy liked him, too, which is why he traded for him.

Problem was that Maurice is a coach that places a high value on conditioning to play a very high tempo high pressure game. One of his first observations about the Jets was that they weren't well conditioned, suggesting they better be ready for a "man's training camp". It's not surprising that Dano ended up in his doghouse when he came to a couple of camps heavy and not in great shape.

I'm optimistic that Dano will get a chance this season, and his better conditioning will be a part of that. He's at least earned Maurice's admiration for his attitude and work ethic this year.

Reactions: voyageur

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Waiting wouldn't have acomplish anything with little even with the sort of drop if in production he had last year. They would have signed him for the same this off season without question. Kopitar was having his worse season ever 52 points 2 seasons ago and they still signed him for 10 million. Jesus bozak just signed for 5 million a year. 2 things makes a top 6 player drop off that fast. Loss of speed and chronic injuries. Little suffers from neither.

You are sorely mistaken if you think they would have signed Little to the same deal if they were re-signing him this offseason. No way Little gets that term and money from the Jets this summer, he gets the money but definitely not that term, atleast not from the Jets. If they were signing him this offseason I bet they prioritize signing Stastny and offer Little less money and/or term.

Reactions: Halberdier

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
I thought Perreault-Little-Laine also showed some flashes. Two preseason posts for the kid could easily be regular season goals.

I have seen several pre-season flashes by Laine, a few by Perreault and some even by Little, but I haven't seen flashes by Perreault-Little-Laine yet.

You are right that there are multiple great possible combinations for TOP-9, and yet they do this, which is so odd.

Maurice even gave Laine a "fair" opportunity to show what he has got playing 3 shifts (no kidding) with Scheif + Wheeler. He barely missed the open net from a feed by Wheeler, so there are more flashes PLL gave to you.

Laine dangling all by himself into a position and hitting the post by a backhander doesn't count as PLL highlight on my papers.

They should give Ehlers-Roslovic-Laine at least a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: jepjepjoo

StatisticsAddict99

Feb 24, 2017
I have seen several pre-season flashes by Laine, a few by Perreault and some even by Little, but I haven't seen flashes by Perreault-Little-Laine yet.

You are right that there are multiple great possible combinations for TOP-9, and yet they do this, which is so odd.

Maurice even gave Laine a "fair" opportunity to show what he has got playing 3 shifts (no kidding) with Scheif + Wheeler. He barely missed the open net from a feed by Wheeler, so there are more flashes PLL gave to you.

Laine dangling all by himself into a position and hitting the post by a backhander doesn't count as PLL highlight on my papers.

They should give Ehlers-Roslovic-Laine at least a try.

I’m with you there man, I think ELL was bad but I think PLL is worse. I hate the fact Maurice ties the most lethal shooter in the league to Little at the hip. Little is decent but I don’t think he’s Top 6 material anymore and having Perreault won’t help at all either because he simply isn’t any improvement on Ehlers. Tbh I think if Laine had a Center who could transition and play along the boards well he’d probably win the Rocket(I know people always say who cares about so cares about those accomplishments or it’s a team sport so who cares but they make those awards and fans watch the players get them for a reason).

Reactions: Ippenator and Ares

Ares

May 8, 2018
I like current 3rd (or 4th if that's what you want to call it) line. I don't want to see that broken off just yet. Perreault is going to get injured sooner or later though. If Vesalainen plays well enough to stick that might bump him up the line up and put Lemieux on the line with Ehlers and Roslo.

Board Bard

Dane-O-Mite
Jun 7, 2014
I like current 3rd (or 4th if that's what you want to call it) line. I don't want to see that broken off just yet. Perreault is going to get injured sooner or later though. If Vesalainen plays well enough to stick that might bump him up the line up and put Lemieux on the line with Ehlers and Roslo.

You might as well just slap Ehlers in the face.

Reactions: Duke749

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
If Ehlers is playing 12-13 min per game they should just trade him. No point paying him 6 mil for that amount of ice time. Sometime I think that Maurice must have something against him. Which is hard to believe because Ehlers seems to be the nicest guy around.
0 goals in the playoffs may have been a signal that it's time to change things up with Ehlers.

Reactions: Ippenator

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
I don't think Ehlers is actually going to play only 12 minutes a game. ELL didn't work and you aren't going to put him with Tanev-Lowry-Copp either.

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
How Many goals did Scheifele score in his first playoffs? How well did Matthews do last playoff? Yep.. great idea...
I was answering the question of whether Ehlers was in Maurice's doghouse, as the poster wasn't sure what he did to get in the coach's bad books. I presented a logical possibility.

For the record, Ehlers was coming off seasons of 25 and 29 goals, and had played in 15 playoff games for the Jets with no goals. That's a far, far, far cry from your comparison of Scheifele's first playoffs, when he was coming off of a 15 goal season and played in only 4 games. Really bad comparison.

Personally, I'd be open to moving Ehlers to another line for the sole purpose of making line match-ups against the Jets even more difficult for the opposition. With our snipers spread out between three lines, we would possibly have the balanced scoring that helped the Penguins win the Cup a couple of years ago. I am very confident that both Ehlers and Laine will improve considerably in the playoffs this coming season.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
Many times I have attempted to work scoring over three lines by moving Ehlers down the lineup. Have not come up with anything that works or feels right.

Feeling like loading up on the fist two lines and having two strong checking lines. Feeling traditional today:

Laine-Schief-Wheeler
Connor-Roslovic-Ehlers
Perrault-Little-Dano
Copp-Lowry-Tanev

basic, simple solution

Reactions: Arthur Fonzarelli

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
Give KVes the Connor treatment and put him with Scheif and then go Connor Roslo Laine. Ehlers on Little line. Looks good to me.

I liked, but in fact Vesalainen - Scheifele - Wheeler was pretty terrible together.

But Connor - Roslo - Laine could be excellent.

Halberdier

May 14, 2016
scheifele and lowry lines will not be split up.

Absolutely no reason to keep Scheifele line untouchable. It was a line that was barely winning their game. Great on offense, bad on defense. Outscoring, yes, but not a huge margin.

EStL was by and far the best line in outscoring the opponent. Strong on defence, great on offence. Maybe it's already time to re-try ESL, which will be defensively worse than EStL, but likely better than CSW. Also I suppose it will score like no tomorrow, as it also outscored the opponent very nicely.

Copp and Lowry should maybe be kept together, though I don't think they should be untouchable either.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
If Ehlers is playing 12-13 min per game they should just trade him. No point paying him 6 mil for that amount of ice time. Sometimes I think that Maurice must have something against him. Which is hard to believe because Ehlers seems to be the nicest guy around.
Who says Ehlers will only play 12-13 minutes a night? IMO people get too caught up on how the lines or ordered. Everyone should just list Copp-Lowry-Tanev 4th all the time as this seems to bother the least amount of people. IMO a Rosie-Ehlers duo is a great start on building for our future. Rosie needs to consistently play with speed and Ehlers helps bring this out. Ehlers needs to shoot more and not defer so much to Laine and playing with Rosie helps bring this out. Right now KV is getting a look in a nice situation, but ultimately I'm guessing that Maurice has Laine on that line. For now MP-Little-Laine will do fine. Offense will be limited a bit but MP will push the line forward and Little will help take care of the defensive responsibilities.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad