League News: 2018-19 NHL Talk - (News n' Scores n' Stuff) Vol. 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
Chiasson is going to get paid and someone is going to suffer.

Anyway - Fabbri is an interesting one. Signed a 1 year 900k deal after his entry deal and has been badddd this season. scratched 10 straight, comes back and in one of his games was a -4. scheduled to play 4th line today.... coming out of contract.

id kick the tires on him. would be so low on confidence with his situation there. if connolly needs too much money, could be a very cheap low risk high reward kind of guy that would fit nicely next to Eller and Burky.
Fabbri is done. He had been a forecheckng freak with great hands to boot since an early age until his knees have just given out. Those players never come back to the old form.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Pens down 4-1 to the Blues and the Isles down 2-1 to...Detroit? I’d love to see those scores hold.

Reactions: calicapsfan

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I’m hoping for 3 points in 3 games vs TB. Do that and with 5 games vs fla/nj/mtr we’re looking good. We also have two games vs the isles late if they are a factory

Lindemann

Apr 7, 2017
For the playoffs, who are the teams you think can beat us and some that are overrated and will get knocked out quickly?

For me, I it is obviously Pitt that can beat us, because well it is Pitt. As for the west I am not sure

I think 2 teams that will get knocked out pretty quickly and/or are overrated are Boston and Toronto. I mean, its Bruce Cassidy for crying out loud

Melkor

Jul 22, 2012
Auckland, New Zealand
For the playoffs, who are the teams you think can beat us and some that are overrated and will get knocked out quickly?

For me, I it is obviously Pitt that can beat us, because well it is Pitt. As for the west I am not sure

I think 2 teams that will get knocked out pretty quickly and/or are overrated are Boston and Toronto. I mean, its Bruce Cassidy for crying out loud
Who can beat us (not necessarily will): Pens, Bolts, Preds. Losing to anyone else would be a huge upset to me.
Agreed, B's and L's don't have what it takes. Wouldn't bet on Isles getting past anyone in the 1st rd either. I think Flames are overrated too. They don't have a real goalie to go deep.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
In order of likelihood (note that I did not think too hard about this):

TB
VGK
SJ
PIT
NSH
BOS
STL
CGY
CAR
WPG
TOR
CBJ
NYI
DAL
MTL
ARI
MIN

I cannot stress to you how high I am on Vegas right now. I think they are better than they were last year and they took it to every opponent in the West.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada

TB
VGK
SJ
PIT
NSH
BOS
STL
CGY
CAR
WPG
TOR
CBJ
NYI
DAL
MTL
ARI
MIN

I cannot stress to you how high I am on Vegas right now. I think they are better than they were last year and they took it to every opponent in the West.
The Knights winning a Cup this early in their existence would damage my opinion of the NHL. Praying they don't even make the WCF.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

TB
VGK
SJ
PIT
NSH
BOS
STL
CGY
CAR
WPG
TOR
CBJ
NYI
DAL
MTL
ARI
MIN

They should win. West just doesn’t impress me much outside of Vegas and The Peg.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
The expansion rules were fine IMO. Certain teams made mistakes (I’m looking at Florida in particular, who gifted them Marchessault and Smith), and good teams like Washington had to lose a good player.

When the draft completed most everyone thought Vegas would be a basement dweller so it’s hard for me to say that the rules were too generous to Vegas. Gallant has done an admirable job taking a mediocre roster on paper into a contender, and McPhee this season did a good job adding the best player at the deadline.

I highly doubt Seattle has this level of success even with the same rules. Vegas knocked it out of the park.

Reactions: Bieronymus Trotz

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
The expansion rules were fine IMO. Certain teams made mistakes (I’m looking at Florida in particular, who gifted them Marchessault and Smith), and good teams like Washington had to lose a good player.

When the draft completed most everyone thought Vegas would be a basement dweller so it’s hard for me to say that the rules were too generous to Vegas. Gallant has done an admirable job taking a mediocre roster on paper into a contender, and McPhee this season did a good job adding the best player at the deadline.

I highly doubt Seattle has this level of success even with the same rules. Vegas knocked it out of the park.
Expansion rules weren't fine. I agree that some teams made mistakes but Vegas just had too many options. No other expansion team was given a chance at quality talent like that. Other expansion teams had to build their teams. That's what expansion is supposed to be.
You probably don't remember the 74 expansion. The Caps and Kansas City Scouts probably had the worst talent to choose from. It didnt help that the NHL expanded from 6 teams to 18 teams in 7 years. The rise of the WHA also watered down the talent.

Reactions: calicapsfan

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Expansion made Vegas too strong, which is what the league felt had to be done to ensure their success. When they are going to such measures, its proof to me that league is pushing expansion too hard. A new city shouldn't need to be gifted a cup team to survive. Creating demand out of thin desert air.

Crappy teams should have been allowed to keep an extra forward and D, if not all teams. And George shouldn't have been allowed to wheel and deal to the extent he was. He takes a player and that's it. I am still pissed he gave Pitt cap relief, and other sketchy deals.

If Vegas won the cup my head would have exploded. They were not an expansion team, they were an instant cup contender. I am surprised they weren't given the top pick in the draft for a few years.

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Expansion rules weren't fine. I agree that some teams made mistakes but Vegas just had too many options. No other expansion team was given a chance at quality talent like that. Other expansion teams had to build their teams. That's what expansion is supposed to be.
You probably don't remember the 74 expansion. The Caps and Kansas City Scouts probably had the worst talent to choose from. It didnt help that the NHL expanded from 6 teams to 18 teams in 7 years. The rise of the WHA also watered down the talent.

Expansion made Vegas too strong, which is what the league felt had to be done to ensure their success. When they are going to such measures, its proof to me that league is pushing expansion too hard. A new city shouldn't need to be gifted a cup team to survive. Creating demand out of thin desert air.

Crappy teams should have been allowed to keep an extra forward and D, if not all teams. And George shouldn't have been allowed to wheel and deal to the extent he was. He takes a player and that's it. I am still pissed he gave Pitt cap relief, and other sketchy deals.

If Vegas won the cup my head would have exploded. They were not an expansion team, they were an instant cup contender. I am surprised they weren't given the top pick in the draft for a few years.

All of this. League has learned that slow growth doesn't work in non-hockey markets so they stacked the deck for Vegas. But it screwed existing teams and created a lot of resentment. The NHL didn't have to subject the Knights to the kind of crap the Caps went through but they didn't have to give them every advantage either.

As for folks thinking Vegas was gonna suck last year, that was purely about people's idea of expansion teams. That roster was never a bottom feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad