Prospect Info: 2018/19 Marlies & Prospects Thread Part VI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
yep, they have some nice young players also, so do other teams.

Which "top AHL veterans" are carrying the Marlies right now? Far as I can tell Kaskisuo and Liljegren seem to be the MVPs so far. I don't think there's even a vet in the next tier, it's Moore, Sandin and Bracco.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Marlies always bring in top AHL veterans players, that is their advantage over the rest of the AHL and why Keefe is always winning down there.

What are you talking about? Most of the Marlies' veterans are support players. In most AHL cities these guys are the go-to players. Only 3 out of the Marlies' top 15 scorers this season were over 24 yo at the start of the season.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Speaking of a useful veteran for the Marlies to add next season... I think the return of Sam Carrick would make some sense. He's a center. He'd probably love a modest 1-way deal to play in Toronto. And he's a quality AHL player and if by bad luck injuries strike he could 6 to 10 minutes at the NHL level.

Reactions: Magic Man

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
What are you talking about? Most of the Marlies' veterans are support players. In most AHL cities these guys are the go-to players. Only 3 out of the Marlies' top 15 scorers this season were over 24 yo at the start of the season.

I am talking about the last 3-4 years bud ... and other AHL teams don't have the luxury, this Marlies team has veteran depth also

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Speaking of a useful veteran for the Marlies to add next season... I think the return of Sam Carrick would make some sense. He's a center. He'd probably love a modest 1-way deal to play in Toronto. And he's a quality AHL player and if by bad luck injuries strike he could 6 to 10 minutes at the NHL level.

Carter Verhaege is another ex-Leaf draft pick, also a local kid, who seems likely to have an AHL career. He is also a UFA after this year, and a C. Top scorer in the AHL this past year.

Magic Man

Mar 30, 2012
Your Worst Nightmare
Carter Verhaege is another ex-Leaf draft pick, also a local kid, who seems likely to have an AHL career. He is also a UFA after this year, and a C. Top scorer in the AHL this past year.
Both good ideas for a depth center on the Marlies. Brooks and Engvall should get large roles, but there is room for another good one to play in the top-9.

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I am talking about the last 3-4 years bud ... and other AHL teams don't have the luxury, this Marlies team has veteran depth also
What are you talking about? Every team has 3-4 really good veteran players in the AHL and plenty of veteran depth.

Can we afford to pay them a little more? sure, but every team in the AHL can find guys like Mueller (Look at Cracknell, Morin, others) Loverde, Greening, Olesky etc..

Even if you go by the last few years, the Texas team we played in the finals last year had way better vets than the Marlies. Teams like Hershey have always relied heavily on vets as well.

Our young players are carrying this team if you watch them play.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
What are you talking about? Every team has 3-4 really good veteran players in the AHL and plenty of veteran depth.

Can we afford to pay them a little more? sure, but every team in the AHL can find guys like Mueller (Look at Cracknell, Morin, others) Loverde, Greening, Olesky etc..

Even if you go by the last few years, the Texas team we played in the finals last year had way better vets than the Marlies. Teams like Hershey have always relied heavily on vets as well.

Our young players are carrying this team if you watch them play.

What are you talking about?

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
I think we might see Ian Scott take a similar route to Binnington. Both had exceptional D+2 seasons after some disappointing seasons, and then Binnington went to the ECHL where he played 40 games to bridge the gap to the AHL. Went on to play five seasons in the AHL before his big shot with STL.

I'd prefer to see Scott get the ECHL job with Woll starting for the Marlies, but it will probably come down to who wins the job head to head. Can't go wrong, both look great.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think we might see Ian Scott take a similar route to Binnington. Both had exceptional D+2 seasons after some disappointing seasons, and then Binnington went to the ECHL where he played 40 games to bridge the gap to the AHL. Went on to play five seasons in the AHL before his big shot with STL.

I'd prefer to see Scott get the ECHL job with Woll starting for the Marlies, but it will probably come down to who wins the job head to head. Can't go wrong, both look great.
it would be awfully nice to have two legitimate starter prospects, and not deal one away before the other is a legitimate start

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
I can’t believe you have the audacity to even argue that the Marlies are benefitting more from vets than other AHL teams.

It’s just pure ignorance.

last years top 4 point, guys ...
smith
johnsson
mueller
aaltonen

also ...
greening
holl
loverde
marinccin

let's not talk about ignorance and it's known the Marlies spend money on vets, the Charlotte coach even said the Marlies have the highest payroll in the AHL last week

Last edited:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
[MOD]

what? lol

Marlies exp ...
  • NHL: 1 238 GP
  • SHL: 253 GP
  • Allsvenskan: 402 GP
  • Liiga: 88 GP
  • KHL: 172 GP
  • AHL: 5 437 GP

Charlotte Checkers
  • NHL: 758 GP
  • SHL: 52 GP
  • Allsvenskan: 93 GP
  • Liiga: 167 GP
  • KHL: 15 GP
  • Czech: 65 GP
  • AHL: 4 724 GP

Last edited by a moderator:

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Johnsson and Aaltonen were both prospects.

Johnsson was for sure ... Leafs sign guys like Aaltonen, Holl, Rosen, Borgman, etc to basically play for the Marlies and give them an opportunity to make the Leafs ... anyways I'm done with this discussion, too many guys get worked up, cheers.

Last edited:

KDOTO

Feb 17, 2018
TDOTO
Johnsson was for sure ... Leafs sign guys like Aaltonen, Holl, Rosen, Borgman, etc to basically play for the Marlies and give them an opportunity to make the Leafs ... anyways I'm done with this discussion, too many guys get worked up, cheers.
Every team signs guys like that, it's how teams get cheap depth. You just saw it this past couple weeks with many teams.

Of course people get worked up, you came in basically implying the reason Keefe (by extension Marlies) are winning is because they are able to sign top Vets.

Most team have same caliber vets, most teams have same caliber prospects too. What's exciting is Toronto is being lead by these young guys for two season now, with graduatiions and still going deep in the playoffs.

Many hope and believe it will lead to better depth for the big club. Your in here basically telling people their getting hype for no reason because having top ahl vets every season is the reason why the team wins.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Leafs sign guys like Aaltonen, Holl, Rosen, Borgman, etc to basically play for the Marlies and give them an opportunity to make the Leafs ... anyways I'm done with this discussion, too many guys get worked up, cheers.

Marlies always bring in top AHL veterans players, that is their advantage over the rest of the AHL and why Keefe is always winning down there.

Stellar example of top AHL veterans. Those 4 players had a grand total of 2 career AHL games when they signed their first contracts with the organization.

Eye Test

End the soft perimeter hockey.
Apr 13, 2019
Toronto

So basically you have a hot take, people proved you wrong, you have no response so your seeing yourself out before you blurt our another hot take? No one is worked up at all from the responses you got, you just realized your wrong and are taking the cheesy way out.

Cheers.

Reactions: DANTHEMAN1967
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad