Prospect Info: 2017 NHL Draft Part I

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
Button's latest mock

1) Colorado = Nolan Patrick
2) Arizona = Nico Hischier (also says this pick could very likely be in play)
3) Vegas = Gabe Vilardi
4) Detroit = Cale Makar
5) New Jersey = Tim Liljegrin
6) Carolina = Owen Tippet
7) Dallas = Elias Petterson
8) Vancouver = Michael Rasmussen
9) Winnipeg = Cody Glass
10) Buffalo = Miro Heikanen
11) Dallas = Martin Necas
12) Florida = Eeli Tolvanen
13) Tampa Bay = Casey Mittlestadt
14) Philly = Nick Suzuki
15) Toronto = Jusso Valimaki
Why is Detroit ahead of NJ in Button's latest mock?

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
I'm not a big follower of draft prospects until much closer to the draft itself, this is the first I've seen Cale Makar that high in the mock draft. Anyone have a scouting report on him? Looks like he's an offensive d-man from the stats, not a lot of size on him though.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
We absolutely should not pick a defender with our first round pick, there's too many good forwards at the top of the board to justify doing so.

Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Tippett, Pettersson & Mittlestadt are all better picks than any of the defenders.

If we want a defender there's better value to be had in the late 1st / early 2nd round. We would be better served packaging our own 2nd (probably around #35/#36) with some of our surplus picks to move up 10-15 spots and grab the best remaining defender. One or two of Makar, Liljegren, Foote, Valimaki, Heiskanen, Hague & Timmins should still be there. If they aren't then grab another forward in that range (Glass, Suzuki or Yamamoto would be my preferences) and spend the rest of the draft picking defenders in the later rounds.

Better Call Sal

Salnalysis
Nov 24, 2011
New Jersey
Again, never seen the guy play so I'd never make the assumption immediately but the small, diminutive skilled d-men always concern me with a high pick. All I think back on is Ryan Murphy from the Hurricanes. I'm sure there are examples of it working out that I'm forgetting about, though.

135ace

Mar 18, 2015
We absolutely should not pick a defender with our first round pick, there's too many good forwards at the top of the board to justify doing so.

Patrick, Hischier, Vilardi, Tippett, Pettersson & Mittlestadt are all better picks than any of the defenders.

If we want a defender there's better value to be had in the late 1st / early 2nd round. We would be better served packaging our own 2nd (probably around #35/#36) with some of our surplus picks to move up 10-15 spots and grab the best remaining defender. One or two of Makar, Liljegren, Foote, Valimaki, Heiskanen, Hague & Timmins should still be there. If they aren't then grab another forward in that range (Glass, Suzuki or Yamamoto would be my preferences) and spend the rest of the draft picking defenders in the later rounds.

Besides the fact that the defenders in the draft are all weaker prospects than the forwards you have to think about the rebuild for a second. If we make the mistake of picking Liljegren we might as well trade Cory and just go full rebuild. The only way we have a shot at being a playoff team next year is if we pick a prospect who is ready to make an impact in the near future, and none of the Dmen in the draft are close. There are quite a few forwards on the other hand who can make the jump as soon as next year.

Secondly, it's proven that you build from the center position. If a guy like Patrick, Hischier or Vilardi becomes a top 5-10 center in the league he'll make much more of an impact than if Liljegren becomes a top 5-10 defenseman.

This should really just be common sense. Our offense sucks so lets fix that first and then fix the D. Picking a Dman in the top 5 is almost a waste of a pick for a team in our situation.

DevilsJunkie

Jul 28, 2009
Biggest Little City
Thanks for the link HI. That site puts Makar at 5' 11", which is a little bit bigger than I thought he was.

As for picking / not picking a defenseman in the top 5... If Castron, Shero and the staff think he's the BPA, than you most certainly do select the D-man.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I feel like if we were to take a defenseman, we would most certainly not take him with with our top 5 pick. It would be from trading up in the draft to take one. There just aren't enough defenseman to consider taking one where we are going to pick. If we go by BPA, it will most likely be a forward.

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
if the move was there, i def wouldn'n be opposed to dropping a few slots with our 1st rder for some good good prospect(s) and then picking a D. granted, that's all contingent on someone really wanting to move up in the draft

BomaLightDevils

Jan 15, 2011
Copenhagen
When you pick this high then you prefer going on a Big Center or a D-man with top 4 potential. I know it sounds obvious but it's not always the way scouts pick players.

My choice it's pretty easy we go with vilardi and then next year we go for the big one in dahlin.

Vilardi has everything our current prospects pool lacks and that is true elite talent, if this guy can work on he's first few strides then combined with he's high iq, great vision, he's big game skills and goal scoring you would hit a number one center right there. If you think he does it because of age then think again he's almost a year younger then Patrick.

SouthDevil30

Oct 8, 2008
Ontario,Canada
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd contribute since I recently went to a Mississauga Steelheads game and was able to see Owen Tippett up close. He's a very dynamic winger with a quick release and definitely impressed me. He's got speed as well and isn't afraid to take on defenders one on one.

I also think it wouldn't hurt to take him if he's BPA since we already have Mcleod and Bastion who play on that team (Mcleod is a beauty from what I've seen).

Just my 2 cents but ultimately we should take BPA even if the need is defence.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Liljegrin seems like a huge boom or bust guy...Just a gut feeling. Wouldn't be surprised if he's Karlsson-lite or a turd. I wouldn't be upset with the pick, but I'd be a bit apprehensive.

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Patrick and Hischier look like they could be great 1Cs. Vilardi and Mittlestadt aren't far behind. Tippett is a dynamic goal scoring RW. We could use any of these guys. If we stay in the top 5 draft BPA we're going to get a great forward prospect that fills an organizational need.

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Hey Guys,

Just thought I'd contribute since I recently went to a Mississauga Steelheads game and was able to see Owen Tippett up close. He's a very dynamic winger with a quick release and definitely impressed me. He's got speed as well and isn't afraid to take on defenders one on one.

I also think it wouldn't hurt to take him if he's BPA since we already have Mcleod and Bastion who play on that team (Mcleod is a beauty from what I've seen).

Do you agree with him having tunnel vision? I believe they said the same about McLeod. Maybe it's a Mississauga thing. Lol.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
Hey Guys,

Even better if we can scoop up Hague from them as well. We'd likely have to move up to get a mid-late 1st though.

BurntToast

May 27, 2007
Saratoga, New York
I think the bromance goggles are on for Tippett. Not a bad prospect and can go anywhere from 5-15, but the choice will be a tough one for sure. Patrick, Vilardi, Hischier, Rasmussen, Mittelstadt, Tolvanen... Plus Necas has made a rise up the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad