2016 NHL re Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Oof. That's a really bad take.

Try watching the guy if you're gonna blabber about him. He's already one of the top goal scorers in the league, and the stats back it up

Oh look another salty Leafs fan whining about something very little.

I have Matthews at his appropriate ranking, appreciate where I put him, instead of blabbering against an opinion that you don't hold to have the same.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014
We'll have opinions, no one here is suggesting facts.

I have already explained my reasoning. Laine will pot more goals because he's generally a better goal scorer, with a better shot.

Scoring 40 goals in this league is difficult, so I doubt he'll sleep walk.
It is difficult, that's why it's so rare for guys like Laine and Matthews to make it look relatively easy. In any case, is there something about his play in particular that suggests to you he won't continue to be a 40 goal scorer? His high danger scoring opportunities, 5v5 goal production, and posession numbers all near the top of the league, while taking on the toughest matchups on his team.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
It's incredible that I have several leafs fans come at me, because I didn't mention his goal scoring.

No wonder why you guys have a bad rep.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
In Matthews rookie season he had 40 goals, Laine had 36 goals.

This season Matthews has 28 goals, when he got hurt Laine was at 25 0r 26 goals.

Laine missed 9 games, Matthews played all of his games.

Having one or two extra goals doesn't necessarily suggest he would be at a higher pace than the guy who has 2nd in the league at goal scoring. Are you seriously insinuating that Matthews if healthy would be higher than Ovechkin and Laine?

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It's incredible that I have several leafs fans come at me, because I didn't mention his goal scoring.

The way you worded your post is making it sound like Matthews can not score 40 goals when it's something he already did and it was before Laine did the same thing.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Laine missed 9 games, Matthews played all of his games.

Having one or two extra goals doesn't necessarily suggest he would be at a higher pace than the guy who has 2nd in the league at goal scoring. Are you seriously insinuating that Matthews if healthy would be higher than Ovechkin and Laine?
No matter how you spin it Matthews still lead all rookies with 40 goals, was tied for 2nd in all of the NHL in that category and was leading Laine this season after missing 10 games. You wanted facts to back up what I said and that's what I did.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
The way you worded your post is making it sound like Matthews can not score 40 goals when it's something he already did and it was before Laine did the same thing.

Well I talked about his position being more valuable, nothing was implied about Matthews goal scoring. I simply didn't go indepth with all of his game, since I preferred to talk about the players in short.

I simply don't see Matthews scoring 40 goals regularly, but may well do so in his peak.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014

I'm not "coming at you", I'm asking you kindly to explain your reasoning. You don't have to if you don't want to. It also wasnt the fact that you didn't mention his goal scoring, it's that you categorized him as a 30-35 goal player when he's already scored 40 as a rookie and was on pace to exceed that total as a sophomore. Your opinion was bound to raise some eyebrows and draw attention.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
No matter how you spin it Matthews still lead all rookies with 40 goals, was tied for 2nd in all of the NHL in that category and was leading Laine this season after missing 10 games. You wanted facts to back up what I said and that's what I did.

You posted facts without context (neglecting to mention the games Laine missed). I would take facts with context any day.
You are insinuating that Matthews would be higher than Laine and Ovechkin at their current production, which would be close to 50 goals given that Ovechkin is at 44 atm. That is not sustainable.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
In Matthews rookie season he had 40 goals, Laine had 36 goals.

This season Matthews has 28 goals, when he got hurt Laine was at 25 0r 26 goals.

Well Laine was hurt in his first season :) otherwise he would have get more goals and win the Calder for sure. Now Mathews has 28 goals as Laine 43 already ;) Laine is also younger and makes players better around him.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Well Laine was hurt in his first season :) otherwise he would have get more goals and win the Calder for sure. Now Mathews has 28 goals as Laine 43 already ;) Laine is also younger and makes players better around him.
I said this before and I will say it again. There is no guarantee Laine would have scored goals in those games he missed, so please stop awarding him phantom goals that never happened. He lost the Calder so get over it.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
I'm not "coming at you", I'm asking you kindly to explain your reasoning. You don't have to if you don't want to. It also wasnt the fact that you didn't mention his goal scoring, it's that you categorized him as a 30-35 goal player when he's already scored 40 as a rookie and was on pace to exceed that total as a sophomore. Your opinion was bound to raise some eyebrows and draw attention.

Well I talked about his position being more valuable, nothing was implied about Matthews goal scoring. I simply didn't go indepth with all of his game, since I preferred to talk about the players in short.

I have already talked about why I think Matthews's goal scoring more than enough as it is, and repeated it enough for all the Leafs fans to understand.

Nope, my opinion should not warrant any eyebrows or draw attention, because I'm not applying them as facts, but more of a representation as to what I and majority of the consensus believes.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Oh look another salty Leafs fan whining about something very little.

I have Matthews at his appropriate ranking, appreciate where I put him, instead of blabbering against an opinion that you don't hold to have the same.

Burden of proof is on you to provide those statistics.

First of all, I'm not salty. Your opinion means very little to me after reading you think Matthews is going to be a 30-35 goal scorer in the league when he's scored 40 in his rookie season, and has a 0.50 GPG throughout 135 games played in his career. Thinking he's going to regress to a 30-35 goal scorer is simply wishful thinking on your part. So rank him where you want, I really don't care.

As of the stats for Matthews outscoring Laine before he was injured -- he was outpacing him, but did miss some games earlier in the year.

THIS SEASON UNTIL MATTHEWS WAS INJURED ON 02/22/2018

Matthews had 27 goals in 52 games -- 0.52 GPG
Laine had 28 goals in 60 games -- 0.47 GPG

So Laine had one more goal in 8 more games, Matthews was clearly having the better season as well with 49 points in 52 games, while Laine had 48 points in 60 games.

Then Matthews got injured, Laine got red hot, Finland went bat shit crazy -- and about eighteen Laine vs Matthews threads were born.

My opinion on the two, that I've stated several times is, I think Laine is clearly the better shooter/sniper, probably will put up more goals in his career, and will win multiple Richards in his career. Matthews will also be up there in the Richard race, as he's shown just as much goal scoring prowess as Laine has, but just in different ways, while also being a center and will likely compete for Selke trophies later in his career.

I know who I'd take at first overall, and I'm sure many in the hockey world share my opinion, nothing against Laine though who is also a tremendous player.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow
I said this before and I will say it again. There is no guarantee Laine would have scored goals in those games he missed, so please stop awarding him phantom goals that never happened. He lost the Calder so get over it.

Of course not but it would have been very very likely :)

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
First of all, I'm not salty. Your opinion means very little to me after reading you think Matthews is going to be a 30-35 goal scorer in the league when he's scored 40 in his rookie season, and has a 0.50 GPG throughout 135 games played in his career. Thinking he's going to regress to a 30-35 goal scorer is simply wishful thinking on your part. So rank him where you want, I really don't care.

As of the stats for Matthews outscoring Laine before he was injured -- here you go.

So Laine had one more goal in 8 more games, Matthews was clearly having the better season as well with 49 points in 52 games, while Laine had 48 points in 60 games.

Then Matthews got injured, Laine got red hot, Finland went bat **** crazy -- and about eighteen Laine vs Matthews threads were born.

My opinion on the two, that I've stated several times is, I think Laine is clearly the better shooter/sniper, probably will put up more goals in his career, and will win multiple Richards in his career. Matthews will also be up there in the Richard race, as he's shown just as much goal scoring prowess as Laine has, but just in different ways, while also being a center and will likely compete for Selke trophies later in his career.

I know who I'd take at first overall, and I'm sure many in the hockey world share my opinion, nothing against Laine though who is also a tremendous player.

Rule of note, you should first admit you are salty because one who has a condescending attitude usually means they reak of salt.If my opinion means little to you, you wouldn't jolt down such a long summarized post, so talk about contradictions here.

I feel he will score 5 goals less than what he scored in his rookie season, while admittedly suggesting he would score 40+ once or twice during his peak season. This is pretty much very fair to Matthews.

As for the comparison between the two, I have already explained it. Try keeping up.

Tad Mikowsky

Only Droods
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2008
Edmonton
Don't see any Leaf fans proclaiming Matthews to have 80 goal 140 point potential.. Soooo I'm gonna say worse, definitely worse.

Bull shit.

I’ve seen Leafs fans proclaim the following:

-Matthews is better than Malkin.
-Matthews would outscore McDavid this season.
-Matthews is a generational player.

Please don’t act like it hasn’t been done.

TIGERCOOL

Sep 29, 2014

I have already talked about why I think Matthews's goal scoring more than enough as it is, and repeated it enough for all the Leafs fans to understand.

Nope, my opinion should not warrant any eyebrows or draw attention, because I'm not applying them as facts, but more of a representation as to what I and majority of the consensus believes.

You haven't at any point provided an argument based on Matthews play or surrounding statistics to support your claim that he is a 30-35 goal scorer going forward. You've only repeated that it's your opinion of him. If you don't have anything substantial to support it and it's simply your gut feeling, then fine. Just be honest about it.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
You haven't at any point provided an argument based on Matthews play or surrounding statistics to support your claim that he is a 30-35 goal scorer going forward. You've only repeated that it's your opinion of him. If you don't have anything substantial to support it and it's simply your gut feeling, then fine. Just be honest about it.

I suggested Matthews will be keyed on more hence his goal scoring will lower about 5 goals than what he obtained in his rookie season. Simple as that. Why not simply be grateful that I ranked your beloved boy at the number one spot? Matthews isn't perfect ffs.

You should also try keeping up when I told you this: Nope, my opinion should not warrant any eyebrows or draw attention, because I'm not applying them as facts.

MrThomas

Oct 31, 2017
Moscow

As of the stats for Matthews outscoring Laine before he was injured -- he was outpacing him, but did miss some games earlier in the year.

Then Matthews got injured, Laine got red hot, Finland went bat **** crazy -- and about eighteen Laine vs Matthews threads were born.

People who followed Laine knew that Laine will produce less points in the beginning of this season BECAUSE he didn't skate last summer. He only gain more weight in the summer and that benefit we saw end of this season. Laine himself said that this season will start slow for him because it will take some time to get use to have more weight in your body, but it really was an investment for the future and now you can see the results finally.

Imagine Laine this hot all the season.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
Rule of note, you should first admit you are salty because one who has a condescending attitude usually means they reak of salt.If my opinion means little to you, you wouldn't jolt down such a long summarized post, so talk about contradictions here.

I feel he will score 5 goals less than what he scored in his rookie season, while admittedly suggesting he would score 40+ once or twice during his peak season. This is pretty much very fair to Matthews.

As for the comparison between the two, I have already explained it. Try keeping up.

I provided you with statistics and my opinion, and you resort to calling me salty. That's childish, and not really worth my time.

You HOPE he regresses, you have no evidence for it.

Good luck with that.

Bull ****.

I’ve seen Leafs fans proclaim the following:

-Matthews is better than Malkin.
-Matthews would outscore McDavid this season.
-Matthews is a generational player.

Please don’t act like it hasn’t been done.

I don't remember Leaf fans(?) saying he'd outscore McDavid, but the other two probably have been said. I tried to stay out of the Matthews - McDavid threads, because I never agreed with the premise. Regardless that's a lot less crazy than what I've read SOME finnish posters say.

I added (?) because some weasels will often say ridiculous things and act like Leaf fans as well. Who really knows.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012
People who followed Laine knew that Laine will produce less points in the beginning of this season BECAUSE he didn't skate last summer. He only gain more weight in the summer and that benefit we saw end of this season. Laine himself said that this season will start slow for him because it will take some time to get use to have more weight in your body, but it really was an investment for the future and now you can see the results finally.

Imagine Laine this hot all the season.

Keep the excuses to yourself, we heard plenty last year.

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
It's pretty amusing that a group of fans come slinging at you, even when you rank their boy at the number one position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad