2016 NHL Lottery Picks Mock Draft

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) We may experience a temporary downtime. Thanks for the patience.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I randomized the draft order through nhldraftsimulator:

NHL%20Lotto%20Simulator.png

1. :cbj - Austen Matthews
- Doesn't need much explaination. Columbus won't pass on the chance to take Matthews and replace what they gave up in RyJo.

2. :leafs - Patrik Laine
- I think the leafs will look at some other options but they will ultimately take Laine and continue to build their prospect base. Also after JVR they don't have much depth on the LW.

3. :sabres - Jesse Puljujarvi
- Buffalo will go BPA and take the big Finnish winger. Man adding him makes their team look real scary in the future.

4. :edmonton - Matthew Tkachuk
- Here is where I think the draft gets interesting. I honestly want to believe the Oilers would take a defenseman but I know they won't. Pete Chiarelli will try and add who he thinks is the next Lucic.

5. :flames - Michael McLeod
- To be honest I think the Flames flirt with the idea of bringing Alex Nylander home, but then they quickly realize that they need a #2 center behind Monahan.

6. :jets - Alexander Nylander
- With the Jets potentially losing Ladd to UFA, they will attempt to replace him quickly and swiftly. Nylander may not provide the same physical game Ladd does but he should be able to bring a highly powered offensive game.

7. :avs - Olli Juolevi
- No question the Avs need to improve their defensive core. I think they look to add Juolevi who is a mobile dman who can control the pace of play and fit right in with the fast paced Avalanche squad.

8. :ducks2 - Julien Gauthier
- For me I think this is just a match made in heaven. The ducks like to play a heavy game and Gauthier fits that role. He reminds me of a young Perry. Big, right hand shot who isn't afraid to play physical.

9. :canes - Jakob Chychrun
- For the second year in a row, Ron Francis runs up to the podium to call and welcome yet another Franchise dman (who falls in their lap) to their hockey club. A pairing of Hanifin - Chychrun for years to come is a dream come true.

10. :nucks - Pierre-Luc Dubois
- I think the Canucks go BPA and take the highly skilled Dubois. He is NHL ready and could be apart of the new wave of young Canucks ready to take the league by storm.

11. :sens - Kieffer Bellows
- No secret around the league that the Sens really need a #1 center. I think Kieffer Bellows has a ton of talent and could be that #1 Center that the Sens have been searching for.

12. :devils - Dante Fabbro
- The Devils have been playing fairly well this year, but they could really use everything haha. I think they take Fabbro and hope he develops into a cornerstone defenseman for them.

13. :habs - Max Jones
- I can't even believe I'm seeing the Habs here. But I believe they would take Max Jones. They need a big forward who can finish. Jones would be just that and he could slot right after Max Pacioretty. Taking a big American forward worked for them once, don't see why they wouldn't try it again.

14. :pens - Mikhail Sergachyov
- They need defense bad. Sergachyov would become a staple for their d-core and fit in nicely. I think Sergachyov is probably the most underrated dman in the draft and the Russian factor kinda contributes. But I think the Pens could use a guy with Sergachyov's skill on the back end.

1Boliever

Previously HH
Jan 10, 2014
Canada
I randomized the draft order through nhldraftsimulator:

NHL%20Lotto%20Simulator.png

1. :cbj - Austen Matthews
- Doesn't need much explaination. Columbus won't pass on the chance to take Matthews and replace what they gave up in RyJo.

2. :leafs - Patrik Laine
- I think the leafs will look at some other options but they will ultimately take Laine and continue to build their prospect base. Also after JVR they don't have much depth on the LW.

3. :sabres - Jesse Puljujarvi
- Buffalo will go BPA and take the big Finnish winger. Man adding him makes their team look real scary in the future.

4. :edmonton - Matthew Tkachuk
- Here is where I think the draft gets interesting. I honestly want to believe the Oilers would take a defenseman but I know they won't. Pete Chiarelli will try and add who he thinks is the next Lucic.

5. :flames - Michael McLeod
- To be honest I think the Flames flirt with the idea of bringing Alex Nylander home, but then they quickly realize that they need a #2 center behind Monahan.

6. :jets - Alexander Nylander
- With the Jets potentially losing Ladd to UFA, they will attempt to replace him quickly and swiftly. Nylander may not provide the same physical game Ladd does but he should be able to bring a highly powered offensive game.

7. :avs - Olli Juolevi
- No question the Avs need to improve their defensive core. I think they look to add Juolevi who is a mobile dman who can control the pace of play and fit right in with the fast paced Avalanche squad.

8. :ducks2 - Julien Gauthier
- For me I think this is just a match made in heaven. The ducks like to play a heavy game and Gauthier fits that role. He reminds me of a young Perry. Big, right hand shot who isn't afraid to play physical.

9. :canes - Jakob Chychrun
- For the second year in a row, Ron Francis runs up to the podium to call and welcome yet another Franchise dman (who falls in their lap) to their hockey club. A pairing of Hanifin - Chychrun for years to come is a dream come true.

10. :nucks - Pierre-Luc Dubois
- I think the Canucks go BPA and take the highly skilled Dubois. He is NHL ready and could be apart of the new wave of young Canucks ready to take the league by storm.

11. :sens - Kieffer Bellows
- No secret around the league that the Sens really need a #1 center. I think Kieffer Bellows has a ton of talent and could be that #1 Center that the Sens have been searching for.

12. :devils - Dante Fabbro
- The Devils have been playing fairly well this year, but they could really use everything haha. I think they take Fabbro and hope he develops into a cornerstone defenseman for them.

13. :habs - Max Jones
- I can't even believe I'm seeing the Habs here. But I believe they would take Max Jones. They need a big forward who can finish. Jones would be just that and he could slot right after Max Pacioretty. Taking a big American forward worked for them once, don't see why they wouldn't try it again.

14. :pens - Mikhail Sergachyov
- They need defense bad. Sergachyov would become a staple for their d-core and fit in nicely. I think Sergachyov is probably the most underrated dman in the draft and the Russian factor kinda contributes. But I think the Pens could use a guy with Sergachyov's skill on the back end.

Umm, Sam Bennett??? Nylander makes SO much more sense.

bobbyt 91*

As a Leaf fan 1 of the Finns would be sweet but for the love of God if A.Nylander turns out to be better I will lose my ****!!! cuz thats who I really want. Just can't see them passing on 1 of the Finns, would be hella ballsy tho.

edguy

Feb 5, 2014
Charlottetown, PEI
Segrachyov won't fall that far. I'd take him or Fabbro over Bellows anyday.

Also don't really need a #1 centerman that badly.. With Turris-Zibby as a 1-2 punch right now and White projected to be a #1 centerman as well.I think we need more quality D prospects (Chabot and Englund really being our only 2 top 4 potential d-men)

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
As a Leaf fan 1 of the Finns would be sweet but for the love of God if A.Nylander turns out to be better I will lose my ****!!! cuz thats who I really want. Just can't see them passing on 1 of the Finns, would be hella ballsy tho.

no reason to take Nylander before 5th. If that's who they want, trade back for him. Worst thing you can do is just take him there when no one else is going to.

Chan790

Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Bingy town, NY
Chychrun falling to the Canes as BPA means there was a serious run on forwards and is Ron Francis' nightmare scenario. I'm pretty certain of that.

Faulk, Hanifin, Fleury, Pesce, Slavin, Murphy, McKeown

That's the Canes current depth chart of defensemen under 25. 7 guys that project as top-4 defensemen, though Murphy and McKeown are more "possible" than "probable."

If Chychrun is the BPA when the Canes are on the board...expect Francis to take every last second to come to the podium as he auctions the pick.

TorontoTrades

Feb 4, 2012
The top 3 are carved in stone.

If we pick 4, I'll take Alex.

If he's who they want then trade down to 6th... seriously... let someone try to jump up for a Chychrun. Even if Nylander goes 5th you get Tkachuk at 6th.

I think taking Nylander before 5th is a mistake.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I too think a team in 4-6 will be looking to trade back - after the top3, it is a toss up and you might as try to take advantage.

If I had 5 and Chychrun was gone, I would think about moving back to 7/8. (I would target McLeod and trade back until it is fit)

My assumption:
1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puju
4. Chych
5._____(Tkachuk/Nylander)
6______(Tkachuk/Nylander)
7. McLeod

lawrence

May 19, 2012
waaaaaayyy too many stat scouts out there.

Chychrun won't fall past 5 let alone ending up number 9. He still extremly highly regarded in many draft rankings and rightfully so. to some , he has more value then a 1st line winger, reason why he will be somewhere in the top 5.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
waaaaaayyy too many stat scouts out there.

Chychrun won't fall past 5 let alone ending up number 9. He still extremly highly regarded in many draft rankings and rightfully so. to some , he has more value then a 1st line winger, reason why he will be somewhere in the top 5.

I didn't do it based off stat scouting. I did it based on the fact that I think Juolevi may actually be the first dman taken.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad