NFL: 2016 NFL Offseason News & Notes Discussion Thread - Part 2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Marc the Habs Fan

Nov 30, 2002
Longueuil
http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/broncos/2016/06/08/von-miller-contract-denver/85605056/

Contract talks between the Denver Broncos and their star linebacker Von Miller have broken off.

The Broncos set a deadline of 10 p.m. Tuesday to reach an agreement on a long-term contract with Miller, who was the MVP of the team’s Super Bowl 50 win in February.

Absent an agreement, the Broncos have withdrawn their multiyear contract proposal, leaving Miller to play the 2016 season on his $14.129 million franchise tag.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
There was some joke going around that the password on the NFL twitter feed was 1-2-3-4-5. :lol:

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

the more important number would be what that guaranteed money total was

$39.8 million guaranteed in the first two years (includes a 1.3 million dollar workout bonus). Slap in the face IMO, he's the best defensive player after Watt and already has 60 sacks thru 4.5 seasons. & just had a monster playoffs.

McCoy got $51.5 million guaranteed, Suh got $60 million guaranteed. Different positions but they were also signed to deals around what he was offered.

Even Justin Houston got $52.5 million in guarantees.

I think another issue is that is guaranteed in the first two years, which basically makes a two-year deal if they want him gone after because of injury or some other problem. He likely wants to prevent that.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
$39.8 million guaranteed in the first two years (includes a 1.3 million dollar workout bonus). Slap in the face IMO, he's the best defensive player after Watt and already has 60 sacks thru 4.5 seasons. & just had a monster playoffs.

McCoy got $51.5 million guaranteed, Suh got $60 million guaranteed. Different positions but they were also signed to deals around what he was offered.

Even Justin Houston got $52.5 million in guarantees.

I think another issue is that is guaranteed in the first two years, which basically makes a two-year deal if they want him gone after because of injury or some other problem. He likely wants to prevent that.

vernon also got 52.5. even malik jackson got over 40. different position again but can't see that sitting too well.

i'd assume broncos make that 3rd year guaranteed too.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
vernon also got 52.5. even malik jackson got over 40. different position again but can't see that sitting too well.

i'd assume broncos make that 3rd year guaranteed too.

In his defence, he went and got his ring so at this point its really all about the $$$. If Denver does not want to agree to his terms I am sure he'll be fine playing for 13 million this year and then signing the largest contract in league history next March, with his choice of a team. He does love to play for them and be there but like I said, at this point money is the priority.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
In his defence, he went and got his ring so at this point its really all about the $$$. If Denver does not want to agree to his terms I am sure he'll be fine playing for 13 million this year and then signing the largest contract in league history next March, with his choice of a team. He does love to play for them and be there but like I said, at this point money is the priority.

They can franchise him two more years for $17 million and $23 million.

Everyone over dramatizes these negotiations anyway.

Gene Parmesan

Dedicated to babies who came feet first
Jul 23, 2009
California

Money is always the first priority. Money/Legacy>Super Bowl rings.

Would you rather be Dan Marino or Trent Dilfer? Barry Sanders or Kevin Faulk?

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Interestingly enough, Mr. Miller is using social media to take jabs at Elway.

He, DeMarcus Ware, Peyton, Kubiak and Eleay all took a picture together at the White House the other day. Ware posted it, but when Miller posted it himself he elected to crop out Elway.

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Interestingly enough, Mr. Miller is using social media to take jabs at Elway.

He, DeMarcus Ware, Peyton, Kubiak and Eleay all took a picture together at the White House the other day. Ware posted it, but when Miller posted it himself he elected to crop out Elway.

Honestly, I dont blame the guy. Elway is playing games in the media having "journalists" pretend he made a legitimate offer when he knows and everybody knows it was a joke.

John Price

Gang Gang
Sep 19, 2008
http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...s-analyst-sources-article-1.2669848?cid=bitly

Those who made ripping him a cottage industry over the past two seasons won’t have Mike Carey to kick around anymore.

The Carey era at CBS Sports (okay it was only two years) is over, at least according to NFL TV sources who do not expect the network to bring the former referee back as its rules analyst for the 2016 season.

It is highly unlikely CBS will look to hire another retired official to replace Carey, who spent 24 seasons as an NFL ref before making the leap into television.

TNT87

Jun 23, 2010
PA
Shocking that CBS isn't bringing back Carey. He usually nailed every prediction regarding calls on the field...

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
Question is; is it the same knee he hurt last season? He sprained the PCL in that one already and had to have it scoped.

Not looking good for the kid if it is.

McOilbleeder

We are all Kloppites
Aug 5, 2006
Oil Country
Getting the call wrong early during the Super Bowl broadcast did him in.

Another tough break for this kid...

His career might be over before it started. Poor kid.

Partial tears in both knees along with a pre-existing knee condition. The aspect he 'specialized' in as a receiver is jeopardized. I'm not sure he can come back from this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad