Prospect Info: 2016 Marlies and Prospects Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

topched

Nov 19, 2008
Toronto, Ontario
That's why I await when and if Rielly ever becomes a #1 d-man.

TBH I don't see it yet.

I'm not saying he's a bad defender, I just feel something might be lacking and he doesn't have it in him.

For me the #1 dman tag almost always comes down to how good they are on the defensive end. A guy like Doughty or Keith isn't a #1 on offensive production alone. The only one in the league who is a #1 on offense alone is EK. There are guys like Letang & Yandle who have been as good or better than Doughy offensively over a few years, but because they don't have it on the defensive end, they're good #2's and not #1's.

IMO Rielly is nearly there offensively. He's good enough to be a #2 on offence alone. Its going to come down to whether he can figure things out on the defensive end. If he figures that out he'll get there, but it won't be easy.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
:laugh:

When is the last time the Leafs had two 1st. pairing defenders?

If Rielly can become a #1 d-man they'll be better than they've been for a decade.

Well they're trying to build a team that can win a cup. Those tend to have at least 2 top pairing defenders.

You shouldn't really be comparing to what they've had for the past decade, being better than they have for the past decade isn't the main goal.

Scion

May 25, 2012
How are you guys watching the Knights game? It's not showing up on my schedule and I have the OHL Package on Rogers.

stewpac

Nov 30, 2015
I thought that was Marner! The announcers were saying it was Graves who scored. :laugh:

I only caught the tail end of the play, so I wasn't 100% sure.

It was pretty ugly even for an empty net. Weak clear and the puck rolled all the way down, dead straight but they don't ask how, just how many

Mikeyg

Dec 26, 2011
Dhiren Mahiban ‏@dcmahiban 11 hrs11 hours ago
Tobias Lindberg on a line with William Nylander and Kasperi Kapanen at #Marlies practice #Leafs

mikebel111*

It's too early to compare, but right now Marner is looking better.

I was a huge fan of Marner, but after that performance against Finland, I began to like him even more. I could watch that 2nd goal all day!

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
It's too early to compare, but right now Marner is looking better.

I was a huge fan of Marner, but after that performance against Finland, I began to like him even more. I could watch that 2nd goal all day!

Ya I posted that more for the people who said strome is a better prospect.
The future is unknown.

stavs*

Oct 11, 2010
Toronto
There is no reason why this team shouldn't win the Calder.

Nylander
Brown
Kapenen
Leivo
Lindberg
Leipsic

What nice scoring depth we have for offense

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
Re winning the Calder: of course, the Marlies should be strong favourites as of now, but the question remains who will be on the team for the playoffs. I expect the Leafs will send any eligible players back for the experience of a playoff run but that is just a guess right now. And which Marlies might be sweeteners to make the right deal for a prospect work?

Moreover, a team can run into a hot goalie at the wrong time. And I am pretty sure Sheldon Keefe would say the team has to tighten its play ... a lot, before the playoffs

Last edited:

67Cup

Sep 16, 2005
I think it is a mistake to discount empty net goals. They are almost always determinative in the outcome of a game. We aren't talking about the 8th goal in a 9-0 victory. The Leafs could have used one in the third period of game seven a couple of years ago.

Re the individual player it says a lot about a player of Marner's offensive skills if the coach sends him out to defend a lead late in a tight game, more than being out there for that 8th goal!

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Now, he’s traded away for some hope and a lot of salary cap flexibility, two of hockey’s most powerful intangibles

:laugh: Nicely written.

And not liking what that article said about Percy not being viewed as a potential top 4 defenseman. I still thinks he can make it as such. And I base that on that strong intangible hope. ;)

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Re winning the Calder: of course, the Marlies should be strong favourites as of now, but the question remains who will be on the team for the playoffs. I expect the Leafs will send any eligible players back for the experience of a playoff run but that is just a guess right now. And which Marlies might be sweeteners to make the right deal for a prospect work?

Moreover, a team can run into a hot goalie at the wrong time. And I am pretty sure Sheldon Keefe would say the team has to tighten its play ... a lot, before the playoffs

Was it not a much bigger and stronger Dallas team that stopped us last year? I dont think we are much bigger and stronger this year, well we do have the Goat.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
There is no reason why this team shouldn't win the Calder.

Nylander
Brown
Kapenen
Leivo
Lindberg
Leipsic

What nice scoring depth we have for offense

I mean, they are the favourites for a reason. They missed 2 of their best forwards, 2 goaltenders for a period of time, had a lot of different players go in and out of the lineup, and they are still in first by a HUGE margin. Not many teams could win so consistently without having their top players in the lineup for so long.

This doesn't mean they will win. A team could get super hot and we get cold at the wrong time, but they are the favourites and should make quite the run.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad