Prospect Info: 2016 Draft/ Lottery/ Prospect Discussion Thread (Lottery April 30th)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
What do you guys think about Sean Day?

Looking like he'll be in the 3rd to 4th round range. Worth a pick?

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Call the Buffalo ticket office?

Anyone want to join a hockey Pool for next season? For more info send me a PM.

You don't buy the tickets from the box office

I doubt he falls as far as the 4th. His lack of work ethic bothers me but he did deal with family issues this season. His physical tools are fantastic (massive kid with beautiful skating) but he leaves me wanting more. I would maybe use one of our 3rds on him but only because we have 3 of them and can afford to take a risk with one of them. In rounds 3/4 he is low risk, massive reward potential.

Some team might grab him at the end of the 2nd and hope for a home run swing OR everyone could be so turned off by him that he falls the the 6th round.

Nick Ebert was predicted to be a top 5 pick going into his draft season a couple years ago but fell all the way to the last pick of the draft iirc. Of course he had his own issues that I won't get into in this thread. You never know what could happen. Couple players last season were predicted to be 2nd rounders by most people and went near the end of the draft.

Last edited by a moderator:

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015
I doubt he falls as far as the 4th. His lack of work ethic bothers me but he did deal with family issues this season. His physical tools are fantastic (massive kid with beautiful skating) but he leaves me wanting more. I would maybe use one of our 3rds on him but only because we have 3 of them and can afford to take a risk with one of them. In rounds 3/4 he is low risk, massive reward potential.

Some team might grab him at the end of the 2nd and hope for a home run swing OR everyone could be so turned off by him that he falls the the 6th round.

Nick Ebert was predicted to be a top 5 pick going into his draft season a couple years ago but fell all the way to the last pick of the draft iirc. Of course he had his own issues that I won't get into in this thread. You never know what could happen. Couple players last season were predicted to be 2nd rounders by most people and went near the end of the draft.

I've heard rumblings about his work ethic. High risk/high reward from what you describe. Seems like you're knowledgable about the O. I watch much more of the Dub being in Western Canada.

Any Dman you'd target besides Day in the mid rounds from the O?

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I've heard rumblings about his work ethic. High risk/high reward from what you describe. Seems like you're knowledgable about the O. I watch much more of the Dub being in Western Canada.

We have three thirds, right? I'd take a swing at him with one of those

s7ark

RIP
Jul 3, 2003

If he falls to our 3rd or a late 2nd we pick up, I'd roll the dice. If someone can set his head on his shoulders right he could be a monster player for them. If not, he's Cam Barker.

BarDownBobo

Oct 19, 2012
City of Champions
I really hope they decide to swing for the fences a few times this draft if Chia decides to use the extra picks he snagged at the deadline. Go for guys like Day, Kuznetsov, Berdin in the mid rounds and hope some of them pan out.

Side note: does anyone have any opinions/viewings on Janne Kuokkanen or Otto Koivula out of the Finnish Jr A League? Both of them put up some impressive numbers at that level, might be worth a shot later on in the draft. Koivula specifically intrigues me, as he's one of the youngest players in the draft(isn't 18 until Sept 1) and he's huge(6'4", 220lbs). Went over point per game against guys who are 2-3 years older.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
We have three thirds, right? I'd take a swing at him with one of those

If we actually have three picks then I'm on board. I bet Chiarelli is going to look to package our own 3rd with another pick to move up into the late 2nd and send it to Boston as part of that compensation.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Saw someone on the mainboards compare Chychrun to Hampus Lindholm. That's probably not a bad comparison actually.

40oz

Jan 21, 2007

I'm a big fan, his skating is phenomenal and he's more skilled than his numbers suggest. Depending on who's else is around I'd be happy using a 2nd rounder on him (the 32nd pick is probably a stretch though).

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
The more I read up on Chrychun the more Im actually really impartial to how we do in the lotto. Obviously would love to get Matthews or a Finn. But Chyrchun is a tremendous consolation prize. Dude seems like a future #1D and has everything I value in a D prospect

Even if hes picked 4th, Dubios sounds tremendous. I honestly think he could be a #1 or #2 pick in any draft from 2009-2014.

Maybe I am expecting to pick 4th-5th and preparing for it, but man both guys sound like major fits on this team

Ninety7

go oil go
Jun 19, 2010
Canada
The more I read up on Chrychun the more Im actually really impartial to how we do in the lotto. Obviously would love to get Matthews or a Finn. But Chyrchun is a tremendous consolation prize. Dude seems like a future #1D and has everything I value in a D prospect

Even if hes picked 4th, Dubios sounds tremendous. I honestly think he could be a #1 or #2 pick in any draft from 2009-2014.

Maybe I am expecting to pick 4th-5th and preparing for it, but man both guys sound like major fits on this team

I agree, would be happy with any pick in the top 5 tbh.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Zero chance he would be draft 1 or 2 in the 2009, 2010 or 2013 draft but I agree with your point that if we pick 5th he is an excellent choice. I've been pumping his tires since last year so I'm glad he has shown everyone what he can do :)

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Mid round dmen from the OHL? Niemelainen, Mete, Gleason, Falkovsky* and Sambrook to name a few that will likely be drafted in rounds 3-5.

Falkovsky was passed over last year likely do to lack of exposure in the MHL. He is very intriguing as it is his 1st season in Canada and he has played surprisingly well at both ends of the ice. What gets scouts excited is his size... A modest 6'7" 230 lbs. He would be a very nice 4th round pick up for us.

dustrock

Too Legit To Quit
Sep 22, 2008
Zero chance he would be draft 1 or 2 in the 2009, 2010 or 2013 draft but I agree with your point that if we pick 5th he is an excellent choice. I've been pumping his tires since last year so I'm glad he has shown everyone what he can do :)

What's your board for the Oilers from 1 to 5?

Something like

Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Chychrun
Tkachuk??

40oz

Jan 21, 2007
If the Oilers end up trading down I'd consider Michael McLeod too. I've only seen him once or twice but he looked great (better than Nylander in those games IMO). Plus a big, talented, right handed center would be a huge asset to the Oilers.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
If the Oilers end up trading down I'd consider Michael McLeod too. I've only seen him once or twice but he looked great (better than Nylander in those games IMO). Plus a big, talented, right handed center would be a huge asset to the Oilers.

McLoed is actually on my "do not draft under any circumstance" list. Barely PPG only 21 goals. Nylander with 14 more points in same games. Only 29 points last year (was this year a lucky season?)

If we were drafting 15th or so Id go for him. But hes a lot like Lawson Crouse to me (whom Id want last year when similar things were though of pre lotto win)

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
McLoed is actually on my "do not draft under any circumstance" list. Barely PPG only 21 goals. Nylander with 14 more points in same games. Only 29 points last year (was this year a lucky season?)

If we were drafting 15th or so Id go for him. But hes a lot like Lawson Crouse to me (whom Id want last year when similar things were though of pre lotto win)

It's pretty hard for young guys to carry a bad/young OHL team. McLeod and Nylander were the whole offense. But McLeod is an excellent two way player with high end speed. He could end up being like Monahan and out play his draft position early on.

A guy who might be interesting with the Oilers 3rd if he alsts that long is Adam Mascherin. He is very young and is only 5'9.5" but is already 206lbs. The kid is a bulldog with a great shot. Really high compete level as well.

Last edited:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
What's your board for the Oilers from 1 to 5?

Something like

Matthews
Laine
Pulju
Chychrun
Tkachuk??

For the Oilers I would like their priority to be:

Matthews
Laine
Chychrun
Dubois
Puljujarvi

My personal ranking is:

Matthews
Laine
Puljujarvi
Dubois
Chychrun

Tkachuk is right after them for me. Yes he plays with grit but he's not like his dad as much as people like to say. He isn't overly big, his skating and he's more of a playmaker. Nothing wrong with playmakers other than the fact that we have Mcdavid, Nuge and Draisaitl all being pass first guys. I've been a fan of Tkachuk for 3 years now and have been pumping his tires since then but he isn't the best fit for us imo.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Only way the Oilers draft a forward is if we pick top 3. We aren't trading down to an area where 2 of Chychrun, Juolevi and Sergachev will be available to select a center. Only center we pick is Matthews.

Have you watched McLeod? I'm not his biggest fan but he has very dynamic qualities.

Last edited:

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
He strikes me as another John McFarland, who was risky for a 2nd round pick; however, Day may be worth a 3rd or 4th round pick, as you suggest.

Funny thing is he was so supposed go challenge hall for top 3 going into the year. Like Day he had his own bag of issues.

Supermassive

HISS, HISS
Feb 19, 2007
Sherwood Park
1. Matthews
2. Laine
3. Puljujarvi
4. Tkachuk
5. Dubois

And that's probably it, assuming we're trading some soft skill for a useful RD.

And I fully expect the pick to make the team out of camp. Plenty of room on RW.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad