2016-17 schedule.

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
March and April schedule is brutal. Really need to have a strong record heading into March or it very well could be a year with no playoffs for this club.

Western Canada swing in early November is a trip I definitely want to try and make happen. Ends in Vancouver which works perfectly, it's the one city of the three that I'd like to spend a few extra days in.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
right. but between knicks on friday and concerts on saturday.. when do you think they'll play?
concerts do not have to be on saturday and knicks do not play at home every friday. Looked up the Bruins, they have 2 Sunday home games from Oct-Dec. Both at 1pm. Pats play at 4 for one and 8:30 on the other. They also share with a basketball team. The league as a whole plays a very light schedule on Sundays, but somehow the Rangers have 7 home games on Sundays in Oct, Nov, and Dec. Flat out dumb. These guys do get some say in the schedule. If Dolan had any brains, he would say he doesn't want Sunday home games until after the Super Bowl except for maybe the Super Bowl Sunday matinee.

Flyers have 1 sunday home game before the Super Bowl and it is on a weekend when the Eagles play on Monday. Yes, they share parking lots, but the Eagles only have 6 Sunday home games. Flyers still don't schedule games and they share an arena with the Sixers.

Blackhawks play 6 Sunday home games. 2 when Bears are on the road, one during their bye week, 1 when Bears play Monday Night, and 2 at home. ALL of them are scheduled for 6 central time and on each Sunday the Bears are early games. Arena and stadium are nowhere near each other. Share an arena with the Bulls.

Wild play 1, at 5pm when Vikings are on road playing at 12. Also have a sunday night game weekend of NFC Championship. Not sure of stadium proximity as I have never been there. Also not sure if they share with the Timberwolves.

Caps play 2. 1 at 12:30 when the Skins have an 8:30 game. One at 5 when the Skins play at 1. They share an arena.

These are just a handful I checked.

Kings have 1, a 7:30 pacific time when the Rams play at 10am pacific and they share with 2 NBA teams. Ducks have 4. One at 5, when the Rams play in London. One at 6:30 when Rams play home at 1, another at 5 when Rams play at home at 1 (against Kings, another stupid decision), and one at the same time as the Rams. Another dumb move.

Last edited:

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
I hate early week home games. They have 12 Sunday's and 11 Tuesday's if I counted right. Sunday's aren't bad if they're 5 PM starts or earlier but the 7-7:30 starts are miserable to get home. Makes those easy to sell. And for some reason they have like no Thursday home games either. Only 3 on the entire season.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
Brutal schedule the last two months, but very little travel in January/February.

2017 trade deadline already looming large

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I hate early week home games. They have 12 Sunday's and 11 Tuesday's if I counted right. Sunday's aren't bad if they're 5 PM starts or earlier but the 7-7:30 starts are miserable to get home. Makes those easy to sell. And for some reason they have like no Thursday home games either. Only 3 on the entire season.

Yup. 22 games on Tuesday or Sunday. Terrible.

4 Friday Night games, which is more than usual. Last year, there were 2. In many years there were only 1 or even none.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
Yup. 22 games on Tuesday or Sunday. Terrible.

4 Friday Night games, which is more than usual. Last year, there were 2. In many years there were only 1 or even none.

its not terrible at all. sunday games, yes even the ones during football season are easy sells. sold a couple games already on stubhub

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
its not terrible at all. sunday games, yes even the ones during football season are easy sells. sold a couple games already on stubhub

I refuse to sell on stubhub nowadays. Secondly, I'll never agree with you on this. Teams try to avoid going up against their local NFL team. The Rangers with 2 NFL teams in the market doesn't. Then people wonder why the Rangers do not get attention. Not as if I was looking at teams like Arizona and Florida. I checked teams that have huge local followings.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
I refuse to sell on stubhub nowadays. Secondly, I'll never agree with you on this. Teams try to avoid going up against their local NFL team. The Rangers with 2 NFL teams in the market doesn't. Then people wonder why the Rangers do not get attention. Not as if I was looking at teams like Arizona and Florida. I checked teams that have huge local followings.

sold a game on vivid seats too, whats your opinion on them? both sites are just fine to sell on. the rangers and MSG are a different animal, the garden is sold out whether the jets are playing or the giants, it doesnt matter.

NYRFAN218

King
May 2, 2007
New York, NY
Yeah, the Rangers don't care about the NFL because they're selling out regardless. I'm just more annoyed about the lack of games on good dates in terms of going. 2 Saturday nights the entire year, and only 3 Thursday's. 4 Friday's is a nice bonus. Then we have the horrendous 8 PM Wednesday Night Rivalry games which are again, easy to sell just because of the start time.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
sold a game on vivid seats too, whats your opinion on them? both sites are just fine to sell on. the rangers and MSG are a different animal, the garden is sold out whether the jets are playing or the giants, it doesnt matter.

Never dealt with Vivid seats. Too many horror stories out of StubHub and I have called a few times to inquire. They do NOTHING to protect the seller. I have explained to them protocol at MSG when someone's tickets are no good, yet they insist they do not have time to call the seller.

Yes, the Garden will sell out, only because they have a huge season ticket base and they could sell the entire building to STH if they wanted to. Less what they keep for the league, players, employees, etc.

Doesn't mean it is wise to do so. Ratings are terrible, secondary is down, and we all know they care about the secondary market. For me? I have a regular buyer who comes from near Hartford and prefers weekend games and will take 6 Sunday games from me, so I'm not worried about that. I just don't like having to miss games. But I guess it is just a coincidence that the Flyers, Blackhawks, Caps, Bruins, Kings, Penguins, all who sell out every game do not have that many, if any games when the local NFL team is playing.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Yeah, the Rangers don't care about the NFL because they're selling out regardless. I'm just more annoyed about the lack of games on good dates in terms of going. 2 Saturday nights the entire year, and only 3 Thursday's. 4 Friday's is a nice bonus. Then we have the horrendous 8 PM Wednesday Night Rivalry games which are again, easy to sell just because of the start time.
I'm surprised on the Thursdays. That was always a big night for them and they have slowly dwindled over the past few years. Last year, I think there were 5. Know that only because a guy took all my Thursday games as he was off on Fridays. Could be to accommodate for the Wednesday Night Rivalry games, as Wednesday was generally not a big night for them in the past.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Or in other words, there should be no sunday hockey for 2 3rds the season? Maybe there shouldn't be any baseball or basketball games on sundays either. And teams near big college campuses shouldn't have saturday games either.
Yes on sundays and I would agree about saturdays forvteams like Carolina, Nashville, Columbus, to a lesser extent Dallas. Tampa and Florida can get away with it as they are not near the Gators or Noles.

I was being facetious. Should the rangers, islanders, devils, knicks and nets simply never play on sundays? Really? It's one thing to avoid scheduling a game against the superbowl but regular season? It's a very selfish pov.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
I was being facetious. Should the rangers, islanders, devils, knicks and nets simply never play on sundays? Really? It's one thing to avoid scheduling a game against the superbowl but regular season? It's a very selfish pov.

Not that I care about the Knicks and Nets, but yes. Until after the Super Bowl. If they want to play on Sunday, do so when one is playing on Monday Night or has a bye and schedule the time so you are not overlapping the local NFL team. For example, Giants bye is Oct 30th and the Jets play at 1. So, NHL teams should only take the late start (which the Rangers did). Jets bye is Nov 20th, Giants play at 1. Same deal (although a little harder due to flex scheduling that time of the year). Jets play monday, oct. 17th. Giants play that sunday at 1, so a night game wouldn't be so bad.

I just showed how other teams play very few games on Sunday and often avoid going up against the local NFL team. Go look at the league schedule and see how light sundays are for games. Last few years I have been in one of those silly yahoo fantasy leagues with daily changes and I usually only have 1 or 2 players with a game on sunday. Not sure how it is a "selfish" pov. It is just bad business to play on Sundays during the NFL season.

trueblue9441

Nov 18, 2006
Bronx, NY
Not that I care about the Knicks and Nets, but yes. Until after the Super Bowl. If they want to play on Sunday, do so when one is playing on Monday Night or has a bye and schedule the time so you are not overlapping the local NFL team. For example, Giants bye is Oct 30th and the Jets play at 1. So, NHL teams should only take the late start (which the Rangers did). Jets bye is Nov 20th, Giants play at 1. Same deal (although a little harder due to flex scheduling that time of the year). Jets play monday, oct. 17th. Giants play that sunday at 1, so a night game wouldn't be so bad.

I just showed how other teams play very few games on Sunday and often avoid going up against the local NFL team. Go look at the league schedule and see how light sundays are for games. Last few years I have been in one of those silly yahoo fantasy leagues with daily changes and I usually only have 1 or 2 players with a game on sunday. Not sure how it is a "selfish" pov. It is just bad business to play on Sundays during the NFL season.

clearly going against the NFL on sundays isnt a concern for MSG and the NHL and it shouldnt be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad