Pre-Game Talk: 2015 Stanley Cup Final: Bolts vs Hawks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

PRGeno

May 12, 2015
Of their three SCF opponents I worry about the Lightning only slightly less than I did the very formidable Bruins squad (and I wasn't really worried about the Flyers at all). I suspect the closer we get to Wednesday the more I'll convince myself TB will be the biggest challenge they've ever faced. And it's really for no good reason.

If Q doesn't give away another game with a crap lineup and Towes doesn't get dominated early in the series and the depth earns their keep then it should be Hawks in 5 or 6. But even after this impressive playoff run I still can't completely trust them to have good games 1-4 or be saved by their great 5-7 track record. It's stilly and needlessly pessimistic. Maybe this board is rubbing off on me.

When does this ever happen?

TCD Travesty

Mar 30, 2014
When does this ever happen?

He didn't look great against Kessler early in the series. And while such lapses in quality are extremely rare for him (and even then he still looks better than most of the league) I don't think there's anything wrong in saying he needs to avoid getting outplayed by whomever he is matched up against early on. I might have used a stronger word than many fans would prefer but the general point still remains. If he and the rest of the team bring their "last three games" sense of urgency to the first four games it would save everybody a lot of headaches.

Last thing you want is TBL thinking "we can beat these guys" in the event they do, in fact, beat these guys early in the series.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Toews vs Johnson
Krüger vs Stamkos
Kane Line vs Bottom 6
Sharp line vs Bottom 6

they aren't able to hide their bottom 6 that much. They won't outscore us. Kane could eat them alive

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
He didn't look great against Kessler early in the series. And while such lapses in quality are extremely rare for him (and even then he still looks better than most of the league) I don't think there's anything wrong in saying he needs to avoid getting outplayed by whomever he is matched up against early on. I might have used a stronger word than many fans would prefer but the general point still remains. If he and the rest of the team bring their "last three games" sense of urgency to the first four games it would save everybody a lot of headaches.

Last thing you want is TBL thinking "we can beat these guys" in the event they do, in fact, beat these guys early in the series.

Eh.

At worst Kesler and Toews were neutralizing each other.

Which was fine, because the Kesler line isn't a traditional checking line. They were also responsible for a ton of Anaheim's goals through the first two rounds.

If Toews can take those contributions away, then it's good for the Blackhawks.

Kesler's best game in the series was a game that Toews scored 2 goals in 2 minutes and 'broke' Andersen going forward.

The issue by the end of the series was that while Toews was busy neutralizing Kesler (and vice versa), Kane was getting essentially nothing done and looking terrible in the process.

So they loaded up one line and focused on getting them a softer matchup.

I'd argue Toews did his job well through the whole series.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
I love the 4th line, but Stamkos is a pretty brutal match. The Bolts maybe top-heavy, but that top is HEAVY.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
I love the 4th line, but Stamkos is a pretty brutal match. The Bolts maybe top-heavy, but that top is HEAVY.

Many thought Getzlaf/Perry would be too much for the 4th line, but they played well for the most part when matched up against them. Kruger can handle it if Q wants him to.

It's either Stamkos or the Triplets for the 4th line.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Many thought Getzlaf/Perry would be too much for the 4th line, but they played well for the most part when matched up against them. Kruger can handle it if Q wants him to.

Q did take Kruger off the Getzlaf line after Game 4

RedBaronIndian

Jul 9, 2010
Western Conference head coach: "A fast, skill series. Both teams' top 4 D excellent. Goaltenders mirror their teams. Both are good but one has experience and one does not. It's hard to bet against Chicago's experience.''

Eastern Conference head coach: "It's going to be hard not to pick Chicago because of their experience but also very dangerous to overlook Tampa. I feel Tampa has a lot of firepower and Chicago will have to be good defensively. [Corey] Crawford is good but will be tested. I think Tampa will have to think and play their games like they did in Game 7 versus the Rangers. Focus on being good defensively and take advantage of their chances. Chicago will need to respect them and take advantage of them with their experience. It should be an interesting series as Chicago has been there so many times, versus a team with talent but that seems oblivious to the pressure.''

Western Conference head coach: "Two teams with lots of forwards that can score; will be a high-scoring series. Lots of rush chances. Chicago defense will have a tough go versus all that speed. Can't dismiss 19, 2, 88 [Toews, Keith, Kane] on Chicago.''

Eastern Conference head coach: "Two dynamic forward groups. Chicago defense has the big edge if they can stay healthy. Key to Chicago offense is their defense. Think Chicago in five, maybe six games. Chicago core players get it -- they step up all the time -- strongest core in the league. High-quality leaders hold each other accountable. They have been there before, not going to let it get away now.''

Western Conference head coach: "I think Tampa has the speed to go with Chicago. I'm worried about the depth on D for Chicago. I don't know if people realize how good Tampa is skill-wise and their depth and their role players. Very well put together team. That said, how do you bet against Chicago and what their big guys do at the biggest time? Goaltending is key, obviously. I don't know if Tampa has the forecheck game to get to Chicago a la L.A. From what I have seen Tampa scores a lot off the rush and that is so hard against Chicago with their gap and trackback by their forwards. My guess? Chicago in 7."

From Lebrun's SCF preview. All opinions are from head coaches. Regardless of HF thinks, the Hawks core is highly regarded by those who matter.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/1...ffs-tampa-bay-lightning-vs-chicago-blackhawks

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
@ESPNChiPowers: Quenneville said they haven't decided whether to keep Kane and Toews together.

@MarkPotash: Q said Trevor van Riemsdyk will be making the trip to Tampa. He will explore all options with the back end of the D corps.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
@ESPNChiPowers: Quenneville said they haven't decided whether to keep Kane and Toews together.

@MarkPotash: Q said Trevor van Riemsdyk will be making the trip to Tampa. He will explore all options with the back end of the D corps.

I think if one of the bottom pairing guys falters in game 1 TVR will get a chance to play.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
I think if one of the bottom pairing guys falters in game 1 TVR will get a chance to play.

I'd prefer it the other way around and I seriously think Q is leaning the same way:

IE.... start the series with TVR and if he can't handle it, bring back Bladder. TB's speed will be a challenge to both of these guys.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA
That doesn't bother me at all. I thought the Ducks should have done that more, it seemed like a Coyotes game at points in that game 7. I have no problems with the home team trying to keep it a home crowd.

Ilrider

Mar 27, 2012
Chicago Burbs
That doesn't bother me at all. I thought the Ducks should have done that more, it seemed like a Coyotes game at points in that game 7. I have no problems with the home team trying to keep it a home crowd.

I find it hilarious the Hawks have such influence actually. This is the U.S.A. though. Telling people what to wear to a sporting event is ridiculous to me. There will still be a ton of Hawks sweaters in the stands, just in other sections, usually the front rows from the looks of other arenas.

Marina

Mar 26, 2013
Florida
Didn't Nashville do the same thing with addresses?

Yup. And Tampa has been doing this all post-season, it's not only for the Hawks. Personally I'm not sure why they're so worried, Tampa has a good fan base. When I went in round 1 it was basically all Lightning fans.

WJSN

Cosmic
Dec 22, 2013
Apparel Restrictions?? lol that's funny

Though not as pathetic as what Nashville did

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
My take:

Neither D or G has seen O with the firepower the other team has these playoffs.
Both teams have played against 1 netminder with lower pedigree than theirs, and 2 worse. Both team have shredded better netminders (by pedigree). From the 'hawks perspective, this means giving the Bolts nothing easy and not betting the farm Crawford to bail them out if they make a mistake--after all, Tampa Bay lit up King Henrik.
In spite of Crawford being shellacked against Nashville and the Ducks in game 5, bishop has a mere .001 advantage in SV%. Bishop has let more past him in spite of a lower GAA
The 'hawks have a larger GF and GA than the bolts, so both a burden and a blessing.
The Bolts have 2 d-men that weigh more than Bickell--our largest net-crasher. 4 of their D weigh more than any of the Ducks' D-men, so crashing the net will be harder.
The Bolts have a special teams advantage. The 'hawks can't rely on PP scoring. They also have to stay out of the box--no more too many men or bad penalties.
The 'hawks have a sizable advantage in Takeaways--while hits and GvA are right around the same. The hawks need to use this to their advantage.
I give Q the sight edge over Cooper. Q was masterful in game 7 as opposed to his buffoonery in game 3.

IMHO the key to the Bolts will be to capitalize on the 'hawks mistakes--penalties or otherwise. The 'hawks can be very Schizo--see the difference between Game 5, and Game 6 and 7 vs. Anaheim. If the 'hawks play like they did against Nashville--they're going to be lit up.

IMHO the key to the 'hawks will be to force turnovers and keep posession--effectively nullifying any offensive or speed threat. the Bolts, unlike Anaheim, the Wild, or Nashville don't seem to have as good of a system for playing without the puck--they're built more like us except they don't have guys like Hossa, Toews, Kane, Saad, and Kruger who have been very good in forcing turnovers.

I think the 'hawks will win in 6 in a hard fought series--hard fought for all of the opposite reason the Anaheim one was. I think it's contingent on the right 'hawks team showing up. They need to get the puck, keep the puck, keep the Bolts pinned, don't make stupid plays, respect the Bolts' speed and not give them anything easy, and most importantly Q can't outcoach himself. The closest Timmo should get to ice is schlepping for Eddio O's soft serve, sticking with hat has been working and keping inside the OODA loop like he did against Curley in game 7.

Ilrider

Mar 27, 2012
Chicago Burbs
Yup. And Tampa has been doing this all post-season, it's not only for the Hawks. Personally I'm not sure why they're so worried, Tampa has a decent fan base. When I went in round 1 it was basically all Lightning fans.

The Hawks fans travel better though. I think there will be a lot in the arena, but I agree it's silly these teams worry so much.

Any other Seinfeld fans thinking of the episode where Elaine wears the Baltimore Orioles cap while sitting in the owner's box at Yankee Stadium and ticks off the guy who gave her the tickets and he tells her to take it off, then she gets kicked out? lol

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad