OT: 2015 Ottawa Music Festival and Concerts Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
I don't go in with the attitude that 'this better be the best lineup in the history of bluesfest' each year it's announced. It's 11 days of music in the middle of the summer at a beautiful location for $200. It's something I look forward to every year whether my favourite bands are playing or not. Theres a ton of options, if you hate every one you're better off sitting at home listening to obscure records
He's absolutely correct that there is some real garbage in that line up, particularly up at the top imo.

This will come off as pretentious, but on the nights there's big country acts or EDM stuff I won't even be able to handle the level of ****** in the crowd. I'll just stay home, which is fine, I'll save my money for Folk fest and dragon boat. That's coming from someone who does like some country (Sturgill Simpson) and EDM (with the trap fad, I really like RL Grimes).

Having said that, I do expect this kind of thing. These are the trends and the organizers have to capitalize I'm happy we'll have a few quality acts and will enjoy them as long as security will allow it. I've had some really bad experiences at bluesfest over the past few years. A three day pass for $99 seems perfect for this event. Chance, Black Lips and Run the Jewels are probably the highlights for me. Actually some of my favourite artists currently making music!

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
He's absolutely correct that there is some real garbage in that line up, particularly up at the top imo.

This will come off as pretentious, but on the nights there's big country acts or EDM stuff I won't even be able to handle the level of ****** in the crowd. I'll just stay home, which is fine, I'll save my money for Folk fest and dragon boat. That's coming from someone who does like some country (Sturgill Simpson) and EDM (with the trap fad, I really like RL Grimes).

Having said that, I do expect this kind of thing. These are the trends and the organizers have to capitalize I'm happy we'll have a few quality acts and will enjoy them as long as security will allow it. I've had some really bad experiences at bluesfest over the past few years. A three day pass for $99 seems perfect for this event. Chance, Black Lips and Run the Jewels are probably the highlights for me. Actually some of my favourite artists currently making music!

The headliners are the killer for me. How many times can we have Blue Rodeo. :laugh:

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Really looking forward to the 15th.

Chvrches, Run the Jewels, and Black Mountain should be a great time.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Oh please. Doesn't have to be the best lineup ever but this festival has nothing on rockfest or heavy montreal especially this year. Not worth the money with a weak lineup when other festivals around offer much more.

Rockfest and Heavy Montreal are short festivals if you take the Bluesfest shrink it to 2 or 3 days it would look just as good if not stronger.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Yes if you did not have to have so many smaller acts etc you would have more money to spend on larger acts.

The smaller acts at bluesfest don't cost much at all. Its bluesfest being cheap spending on quality headliners.

Johnny Hanson

Jul 6, 2008
The smaller acts at bluesfest don't cost much at all. Its bluesfest being cheap spending on quality headliners.

I'm not sure if you're purposely being obtuse but the organizers are definitely not being cheap. Like it or not, keith urban and jason aldean are two of the biggest acts in popular music and would cost a small fortune to book. Just because the headliners are not your favourite bands doesn't mean bluesfest is being cheap.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
I'm not sure if you're purposely being obtuse but the organizers are definitely not being cheap. Like it or not, keith urban and jason aldean are two of the biggest acts in popular music and would cost a small fortune to book. Just because the headliners are not your favourite bands doesn't mean bluesfest is being cheap.

I understand those two are bigger acts but it has nothing to do with preference. Don't ask me where I know this but I know people very close to the festival and they are being cheap this year.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I understand those two are bigger acts but it has nothing to do with preference. Don't ask me where I know this but I know people very close to the festival and they are being cheap this year.

Dude, don't spout crap like that. I don't like this year's line up anymore than you do, but don't make up garbage about knowing people and what they are spending.

I actually do know one of the top people at the fest and their spending increases every year, including this one.

Two big barriers this year: 1) More 2-3 day fests in the area every year that have similar budgets to Bluesfest but only have to spend it on 1/4 the number of acts, thereby being able to pay more per act, and, 2) Lots of the top touring names happen to be in Europe during the Bluesfest dates.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
I think it's time for Bluesfest to shorten the length of the festival. They are spreading it too thin, You can see the majority of the acts at Osheaga over 3 days. I'm still going to go for a few nights, but it's very diluted this year.

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Dude, don't spout crap like that. I don't like this year's line up anymore than you do, but don't make up garbage about knowing people and what they are spending.

I actually do know one of the top people at the fest and their spending increases every year, including this one.

Two big barriers this year: 1) More 2-3 day fests in the area every year that have similar budgets to Bluesfest but only have to spend it on 1/4 the number of acts, thereby being able to pay more per act, and, 2) Lots of the top touring names happen to be in Europe during the Bluesfest dates.

Well I could say the same thing to you about saying you know people also. Its what I heard and I've been lucky enough to see lists of what bands cost per night and not just bluesfest acts.

FolignoQuantumLeap

Don't Hold The Door
Mar 16, 2009
Ottawa
What are you doing that security even knows you're there?

A few years ago at the Hip show there was a big group of us smoking weed. Group ranged from 21 to 50 years of age. It was an outdoor festival, this is what happens. We weren't doing it around kids, we were all huddled in our little circle in the crowd and no one gave a crap. We knew about 20 people all around us. Security stepped in the minute the youngest of the group got their hands on the joint and decided to eject them. Needless to say, the group was not happy. I remember the security guard saying something along the lines of we were doing narcotics.

Anyways, it was a **** show and completely unnecessary.

Last year, I wanted to smoke a cigarette and knowing that the festival was really clamping down on that, I exited the crowd and found a corner no one was in, ask a security guard if it was cool if a lit up over here. He got very upset and ended up taking my smokes, and pretty much following me the entire night. I never get into fights but I was tempted to hit this idiot .

Just bad experiences overall lately. They need to lighten up and let people have a good time within reason.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Well I could say the same thing to you about saying you know people also. Its what I heard and I've been lucky enough to see lists of what bands cost per night and not just bluesfest acts.

Sure, and I'm not interested in an argument about something dumb like this, but folks here have sussed out my connection in the past and you could go track that down too, if you cared. I doubt its worth your while though.

In any case, we can agree that this year's line up is weak!

Ohhh Franco

Jun 28, 2006
I think it's time for Bluesfest to shorten the length of the festival. They are spreading it too thin, You can see the majority of the acts at Osheaga over 3 days. I'm still going to go for a few nights, but it's very diluted this year.

Yep, time to shorten it up. Maybe do Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun and then Thurs, Fri, Sat?

7 days/nights of music spread over 10 days/nights.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
A few years ago at the Hip show there was a big group of us smoking weed. Group ranged from 21 to 50 years of age. It was an outdoor festival, this is what happens. We weren't doing it around kids, we were all huddled in our little circle in the crowd and no one gave a crap. We knew about 20 people all around us. Security stepped in the minute the youngest of the group got their hands on the joint and decided to eject them. Needless to say, the group was not happy. I remember the security guard saying something along the lines of we were doing narcotics.

Last year, I wanted to smoke a cigarette and knowing that the festival was really clamping down on that, I exited the crowd and found a corner no one was in, ask a security guard if it was cool if a lit up over here. He got very upset and ended up taking my smokes, and pretty much following me the entire night. I never get into fights but I was tempted to hit this idiot .

Just bad experiences overall lately. They need to lighten up and let people have a good time within reason.

The smoking thing last year was really bad.

I get they want non-smokers to not have to inhale smoke all night but it was ridiculous how they went about it last year.

I had a very similar situation in the Empire grill area last year, I was behind the generators, no where near anyone and I had 4 security guards threaten to kick me out instantly if I didn't put out my smoke.

I get that was the new rule, they just implemented it the complete wrong way.

Spire2000

Jan 22, 2008
Ottawa, Canada

Stop smoking illegal substances in public places?

Stop smoking cigarettes where it is not allowed?

I love that Bluesfest has cracked down on these things. Its spelled out very clearly and if you still choose to partake, expect consequences. You say you were all in a tight group and no one around you gave a crap, but I can tell you that people do. There's just nothing someone is going to say or do to a group of stoners for fear of retaliation.

Seriously, Bluesfest says here is this show, you are allowed to join in the fun as long as you follow our rules. Who are you to go to their show fully intending to break their rules?

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Yep, time to shorten it up. Maybe do Thurs, Fri, Sat, Sun and then Thurs, Fri, Sat?

7 days/nights of music spread over 10 days/nights.

Yeah 7 would be good, hell I'd even go down to 5 probably.

This line up would not be that bad if it were over less days.

Smash88

Mar 15, 2012
Ottawa
Stop smoking illegal substances in public places?

Stop smoking cigarettes where it is not allowed?

I love that Bluesfest has cracked down on these things. Its spelled out very clearly and if you still choose to partake, expect consequences. You say you were all in a tight group and no one around you gave a crap, but I can tell you that people do. There's just nothing someone is going to say or do to a group of stoners for fear of retaliation.

Seriously, Bluesfest says here is this show, you are allowed to join in the fun as long as you follow our rules. Who are you to go to their show fully intending to break their rules?

Yep, I agree they can do what they want, just don't go from fully allowing it with ashtrays on the tables, to a complete ban and treated like a criminal the next year.

Also, they only announced the ban, after everyone had bought tickets, with no possibility of a refund.

It was poorly implemented.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad