2015 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - April 2015 Post Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bernier the Boats

Formerly BBurke
Aug 31, 2011
Interesting that Dubas mentioned they aren't afraid of bust potential. Looking for players who will play high in the lineup. If we carry this mantra into the draft, we will walk away very happy.

Jul 10, 2003
KW
+1

While I think Marner is very talent and could end up better than Strome or Hanifin, I think all three have a similar ceiling. However, given Strome and Hanifin's higher likelihood of playing a needed position (Center or Defense), their size advantage, and already having a similar prospect in Nylander, I'm going to slightly prefer Strome and Hanifin.

I also just love the total package that both of these players offer (not that Marner doesn't offer a pretty complete package).

Edit: Where it becomes interesting is if ARI decided Marner was the BPA at #3 and we have to choose between Hanifin and Strome. If that's the case, I want CAR's pick too :p:

Agreed on all points.

If AZ takes Marner, I'd be deeply conflicted between Hanifin and Strome. Leaning towards Hanifin...

Clammer

Dec 4, 2008
What I optimistically think will happen is:

Arizona drafts Strome at 3, we pick hanifin at 4, Carolina takes Crouse cuz they love him. Then at 6 New Jersey makes a trade:

6th Pick, Severson for Kessel and Nashville pick

We pick Marner.

Leafs end up with Hanifin, Severson and Marner.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009

Arizona drafts Strome at 3, we pick hanifin at 4, Carolina takes Crouse cuz they love him. Then at 6 New Jersey makes a trade:

We pick Marner.

why do you think jersey would value 28 year old expensive kessel over the 6th overall pick and severson? i have a very tough time seeing given where jersey is, that they would move that pick or a top prospect.

TML1967

Jul 20, 2010

We pick Marner.

IF we can pull that off (big IF)

You would still have Lupul, Phaneuf, Bozak to move out for picks/prospects.

Marner beside Kadri would be fun to watch in a year or two. But at the same time, were still weak at C. Even if Marner ends up a C, were small down the middle again.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Interesting that Dubas mentioned they aren't afraid of bust potential. Looking for players who will play high in the lineup. If we carry this mantra into the draft, we will walk away very happy.

It's nice to hear that vs "We felt he was a safe pick...he projects as a 3rd line centre..."

BigWilly

May 6, 2012
Ontario
1) McDavid
2) Eichel
3) Strome
4) Hanifin
5) Provorov
6) Marner
7) Barzal
8) Crouse
9) Werenski
10) Rantanen
11) Svechnikov
12) Zacha
13) Merkley
14) Meier
15) Konecny

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
If Ariz take Strome 3rd maybe 4th to Edm for Draistal and Pitt 1s?

id personally prefer marner or hanifin but if they were set on adding a big C and that Pitt pick could be another good piece

StuckOutHere

Feb 10, 2010
If Ariz take Strome 3rd maybe 4th to Edm for Draistal and Pitt 1s?

id personally prefer marner or hanifin but if they were set on adding a big C and that Pitt pick could be another good piece

Scary thought that Edmonton could leave with McDavid and Hanifin..

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
Arizona is going to pick Strome :cry:

I can feel it in my gut

My take on this is that if they do take Strome, I worry about Marner's actual upside. I say that having him ahead of Strome, but I'm no scout. I just like who I like based on what I can see in front of me. But, if a team like Arizona thinks Strome is better, and they have no history of taking size over talent, and they need a dynamic star to sell, there is probably a disconnect between what we think and what actual scouts think.

Rude Dog

Dec 22, 2008
Arizona is going to pick Strome :cry:

I can feel it in my gut

I am not sure that wouldn't be a blessing in disguise. Anyone who has watched this team realizes what a disaster they are in their own zone. If they can find a D who can play 30 minutes a game, it may be the right answer.

I want Marner to be honest...but that is the fan of me wanting an exciting forward to watch hi lite reals on TSN. They really should select the D or center.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
They're a real wild card.

Draft a big #1C prospect, draft a smaller #1 C/W prospect and reunite with teammates, or add to that great defense.

Well I think it goes like this:

If Arizona drafts Marner, we take Hanifin b/c BPA and fills a need.
If Arizona drafts Hanifin, we take Strome b/c BPA and fills a need.
If Arizona drafts Strome, we take Hanifin b/c BPA and fills a need.

Marner doesn't come to us either way. Marner is the clear #5 in my opinion. I'm actually kind of hoping Arizona takes Hanifin. I want to see him and OEL on the same line, plus I like Strome ;)

Auzzie19

Mar 10, 2011
The North
I'm thinking Barzal is a dark-horse. If he played a full season I have no doubt he would be in the mix with Strome/Marner/Hanifin.

He's looking unbelievable in the U18WC.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
I'm thinking Barzal is a dark-horse. If he played a full season I have very little doubt he wouldn't be in the mix with Strome/Marner/Hanifin.

He's looking unbelievable in the U18WC.

Better or worse than Draisaitl?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad