2015 NHL Entry Draft Discussion - April 2015 Post Season

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
Kyle Dubas on the Fan 590 discussing the lottery, the 2015 draft, and more..

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/maple-leafs-more-concerned-with-late-first-rounder/

Thanks for the link, was very interesting to hear. I really enjoy listening to Dubas.

Interesting that he said their main focus is the Nash pick and that they put pressure on them to nail it. Perhaps not surprising, picking 4th this year is hardly difficult even do it of course require some work. But Nash pick could fetch us a player just as good as the one we get at 4th even do we will not know it until a couple of years later.

Now I am not comparing drafts but look at the 2003 draft between #23 and #28.

#23 Ryan Kesler
#24 Mike Richards
#25 Anthony Stewart
#26 Brian Boyle
#27 Jeff Tambellini
#28 Corey Perry

Big difference in picking up Perry or Tambelini.

That pick will also say a lot about Hunter and Dubas and what kind of players they really like and what we could expect more of. We already have a pretty good idea looking at the types they drafted while being OHL managers. But they are imo a bit different. Hunter seem to love the über skilled ones and Dubas the really smart ones. Now they of course both like players who are smart and skilled but if they could choose between two equally good players I reckon Hunter would choose then one with the stand out skill of being able to make things happen and Dubas pick the one who already figured out what will happen.

But now they will make the pick together so that will be interesting.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I'm glad we have the four pick because there is little to no chance we pick Crouse. 2 of Hanifin/Marner/Strome will be there. Only way I would've seen us picking Crouse at 5 wouldve been if the Leafs see Marner as a winger and want the big boy and had to choose between them. I'd love Crouse on this team if we could get another top 10-12 pick. Him Provorov or Werenski

torontoteamfan

Jan 22, 2015
Kyle dubas actually said our drafting has been one of the best in terms of prospects playing in the nhl so hold your horses boys before u make w judgement on how good dubas is. This is the guy who gave watling a chance on the Marlies thinking he is good lol. Wait a couple of years before you say how much you love him. He apparently counts nhl 4th line bums as prapects that pan out so that's a huge concern.

Azura

Nov 16, 2007
I will be very happy if Marner falls to us (which I doubt) but will also be happy with Barzal or Strome even though Strome has high bust potential, imo.

xeroy

Mar 31, 2015
Brampton
Thanks for the link, was very interesting to hear. I really enjoy listening to Dubas.

Interesting that he said their main focus is the Nash pick and that they put pressure on them to nail it. Perhaps not surprising, picking 4th this year is hardly difficult even do it of course require some work. But Nash pick could fetch us a player just as good as the one we get at 4th even do we will not know it until a couple of years later.

Now I am not comparing drafts but look at the 2003 draft between #23 and #28.

#23 Ryan Kesler
#24 Mike Richards
#25 Anthony Stewart
#26 Brian Boyle
#27 Jeff Tambellini
#28 Corey Perry

Big difference in picking up Perry or Tambelini.

That pick will also say a lot about Hunter and Dubas and what kind of players they really like and what we could expect more of. We already have a pretty good idea looking at the types they drafted while being OHL managers. But they are imo a bit different. Hunter seem to love the über skilled ones and Dubas the really smart ones. Now they of course both like players who are smart and skilled but if they could choose between two equally good players I reckon Hunter would choose then one with the stand out skill of being able to make things happen and Dubas pick the one who already figured out what will happen.

But now they will make the pick together so that will be interesting.

And in a more comparable draft, the 2005 NHL Entry Draft w/ Crosby.
#21 Tuukka Rask
#24 T.J. Oshie
#25 Andrew Cogliano
#28 Matt Niskanen

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Kyle dubas actually said our drafting has been one of the best in terms of prospects playing in the nhl so hold your horses boys before u make w judgement on how good dubas is. This is the guy who gave watling a chance on the Marlies thinking he is good lol. Wait a couple of years before you say how much you love him. He apparently counts nhl 4th line bums as prapects that pan out so that's a huge concern.

He's not wrong. They haven't produced stars but they have produced many NHLers.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
Your opinion, fair enough. But what the hell based on?

Probably because he is not the strongest skater and you can argue much of his success has been based on physically dominating kids. In the NHL he will not be able to dominate defenders physically and 90% of the league will be better skaters so unless he is superbly skilled like Tavares there is significant risk involved. Upside yes, but significant risk nonetheless.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

Because he's not lying. the Leafs have drafted a lot of serviceable NHL players - and that hasn't been the problem. the problem is the Leafs haven't drafted elite talent. (or developed the potential elite talent they have had.

someone had the numbers - i think since 2004 the Leafs draft picks combined played over 2000+ NHL games, which is about 5th most in the NHL. (and obviously not all with the Leafs).

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Because he's not lying. the Leafs have drafted a lot of serviceable NHL players - and that hasn't been the problem. the problem is the Leafs haven't drafted elite talent. (or developed the potential elite talent they have had.

someone had the numbers - i think since 2004 the Leafs draft picks combined played over 2000+ NHL games, which is about 5th most in the NHL. (and obviously not all with the Leafs).

Most people don't realize that playing over 100 NHL games is the exception. That's part of why they assume the Leafs are terrible drafters. As you said, their biggest issue has been not producing stars (or letting them go when they do).

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Most people don't realize that playing over 100 NHL games is the exception. That's part of why they assume the Leafs are terrible drafters. As you said, their biggest issue has been not producing stars (or letting them go when they do).

hmhm.
hence the stress for more "high risk/high reward" picks. The organization plays way too safe most of the time.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario

I wonder who signed the 2nd Rupert twin? Done yet?

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
So say Michael Dal Cole was in this draft, where abouts do you think he would get picked?
Just trying to put this draft in perspective.

I'd pick him 6th

Edited to say, just him. Once you add in the rest of the top 5 from last season it gets worse for him

nuck

Schrodingers Cat
Aug 18, 2005
Probably because he is not the strongest skater and you can argue much of his success has been based on physically dominating kids. In the NHL he will not be able to dominate defenders physically and 90% of the league will be better skaters so unless he is superbly skilled like Tavares there is significant risk involved. Upside yes, but significant risk nonetheless.

But that's kind of a backwards argument which sort of suggests you should never draft bigger players. As though the soul reason for his scoring title was his power game and not his passing, or his reach or everything else that he does well. It is the small guys who physically dominate 17 year olds that are the long shots. They go from being smallish Juniors to fleas in the NHL. If he hits the NHL at 6'4 and 230 he is going to be a big problem for anyone to handle. Consensus top 5 on every list and hardly more likely than anyone else to bust outside of the top 2. If his lack of top end speed was that much of an issue he wouldn't be where he is. I suppose if his speed never improved at all, but how often does that happen? Every kid taken is going to get faster and stronger. Really who are the sure things they should take instead?

Jul 10, 2003
KW

He's tall but not yet very developed or strong physically, I don't think it's accurate to say that much of his success is based on physically dominating kids, he's still a kid himself. His skating isn't his strong suit but it will improve enough when he gets stronger. He's a very safe pick imho.

I think he's dominated the league with his elite hockey sense, vision, and slick hands...that's just my opinion though.

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
My mind's made up for the 4th pick. I want whichever one of Strome or Hanifin is still there.

+1

While I think Marner is very talent and could end up better than Strome or Hanifin, I think all three have a similar ceiling. However, given Strome and Hanifin's higher likelihood of playing a needed position (Center or Defense), their size advantage, and already having a similar prospect in Nylander, I'm going to slightly prefer Strome and Hanifin.

I also just love the total package that both of these players offer (not that Marner doesn't offer a pretty complete package).

Edit: Where it becomes interesting is if ARI decided Marner was the BPA at #3 and we have to choose between Hanifin and Strome. If that's the case, I want CAR's pick too :p:

Bloomberg

Jun 20, 2014
If we somehow get Draisaitl
and
trade Kessel and Kadri for Provorov and Barzal

we would have going forward:

Nylander - Draisaitl - JVR
Marner - Barzal - x

Rielly- Provorov
Valiev - Loov
Percy - Granberg

Rielly Good

May 13, 2009
London, ON
If we somehow get Draisaitl
and
trade Kessel and Kadri for Provorov and Barzal

we would have going forward:

Nylander - Draisaitl - JVR
Marner - Barzal - x

Rielly- Provorov
Valiev - Loov
Percy - Granberg

Sign me up!!!!!:nod:

Unfortunately Kadri is not getting you either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad