2015 Calgary Flames Training Camp Thread [Starts Thu Sept. 17]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
JG - Monahan - Bennett
Frolik - Backlund - Hudler
Bouma - Colborne - Ferland

That's the top 9 I would run if it were me.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
JG - Monahan - Bennett

Bennett will be the #3 center.

I'd go

Gaudreau - Monahan - Hudler
Frolik - Backlund - Colborne
Bouma - Bennett - Jones
Ferland - Stajan - Jooris
X: Bollig, Shore, Raymond

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
JG - Monahan - Bennett

Bennett at RW is no good for his development. I do like that second line of yours though. Colborne at C is a proven mess.

I'd need to see if Jooris' wrist surgery has gotten his finish/hands back to September-November 2014 level where he was backhanding everything like an all-star, but (and Byron's injured, or he'd be on here for sure) I want to see Hartley try:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Jooris (Primary offensive line)
Bouma-Bennett-Hudler (Sheltered offensive line)
Frolik-Backlund-Jones (Primary defensive/possession pushing line)
Ferland-Stajan-Shore (I just liked this fourth line last year, but at least two of those guys don't belong on a 4th line)

Last edited:

AgeOfBennett

Dec 1, 2014
BC
Bennett at RW is no good for his development. I do like that second line of yours though. Colborne at C is a proven mess.

I'd need to see if Jooris' wrist surgery has gotten his finish/hands back to September-November 2014 level where he was backhanding everything like an all-star, but (and Byron's injured, or he'd be on here for sure) I want to see Hartley try:

Ferland-Stajan-Shore (I just liked this fourth line last year, but at least two of those guys don't belong on a 4th line)

I actually really like this line up. Last year Jooris was playing some great hockey before he got injured, would love to see that top line like that.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003

A couple of points:

1)Jooris is not a 1st line player
2)Frolik doesn't play LW
3)Hudler shouldn't be moved from the best line in hockey

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler
Bouma/Raymond-Bennett-Frolik
Ferland-Backlund-Jones
Colborn/Raymond-Stajan-Granland/Shore

We have too many forwards on 1 way deals, best case would be to trade Raymond for a box of crayons but not likely to happen.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
3 things:

- @JBG13, I heard that JG bulked up somewhat over the summer as well, which is exciting. I read the report on rotoworld. Also hearing that Colborne gained another 14lbs is crazy good news.

- @AS, I agree. If the media didn't report the line combos they are not doing their job. I just want to point out to posters that the combos being used on day 1 of training camp will not be what is used on opening night, necessarily.

- @JBG13, Frolik can play LW. I actually wouldn't be surprised if he did play there. We have a hole, and let's assume that someone like Poirier stole a spot, well Frolik gets shifted to LW then, plus he's a LH shot. Part of the reason we wanted him so bad is because he can play anywhere, even at C if we were really in a pinch. From Hartley's own words, he's a Swiss Army knife, like Huds. He can play anywhere which is an enormous asset to have.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Seeing lineups without Colborne or having him on the 4th line are laughable. He must have done something terrible to get the lack of respect he does.

YMCMBYOLO

WEDABEST
Mar 30, 2009
Here's the lineup I'd run with:

Gaudreau-Monahan-Frolik
Ferland-Backlund-Hudler
Bouma-Bennett-Colborne
Jooris-Stajan-Shore

I really want to see how Frolik would do with Money and Gaudreau. He's a good possession player so hopefully he'd run the line even better than Hudler.

RedHot

Fire Dave Cameron (Fired)**
Aug 6, 2014
Calgary
Seeing lineups without Colborne or having him on the 4th line are laughable. He must have done something terrible to get the lack of respect he does.

I think it's because his lack of consistency and tendency to not produce when paired with high skill players. But that's just me

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
I think it's because his lack of consistency and tendency to not produce when paired with high skill players. But that's just me
That is a ******** excuse, the one guy has Jooris on the top line and Bouma on the 2nd scoring line and Colborne not in his line-up at all. Another has Bouma, Raymond and Jones all ahead of Colborne. How is he less consistent than any of those guys? People regurgitate that Colborne is inconsistent like some kind of gospel, which he is; but then they ignore that all the other guys not named Hudler, Gaudreau and Monahan were just as inconsistent and that sir is why they are middle six players and not top line players.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
the one guy has Jooris on the top line

You mean like when Bob Hartley decided our top scoring line was Gaudreau-Jooris-Hudler and the Flames were leading the league in goal scoring last year (before Jooris' wrist injury).

and Bouma on the 2nd scoring line

You mean like, how he was on the 2nd scoring line for the second half of last seson and was our 4th leading goal scorer?

How is he less consistent than any of those guys?

Because if he's not on the box score, he is completely useless.

If Jooris isn't on the box score, he's still making an impact whether it's sparking turnovers, being our best backchecker, using his high IQ to make nifty passing plays, or his best and most useful skill - battling in the corners for pucks and digging them to Johnny. Add to that he's a right-handed shot with a nice wrister and good faceoff skills and he's a highly useful complimentary player whenever he's on the ice. Is he a first liner? No, just like Burrows and Maroon are not first liners. He's not quite as talented as a Kunitz or Frolik but he fits that same mold and he's already shown good chemistry with Monahan and Gaudreau.

If Bouma isn't on the box score, he's still making an impact whether it's being our best hitter or blocking hard point shots. Those are all useful complementary skills to add to a Bennett-Hudler line because they're not things those two players will bring. Add to that he's shown he has a hell of an underrated shot both in release and accuracy and he's a guy who can benefit from a good center like Bennett. That'd be our third line however you want to label it, and Bouma is very much able to be a third liner. If he's on Backlund's line, he's shown good chemistry with him too. If he's on Stajan's line, he's shown good chemistry with him too.

If Jones isn't on the box score, he's still making an impact for mostly the same reasons as Bouma but also for his explosive ability to win footraces on chip-ins. I don't know how anyone can say Colborne is better than Jones, considering Jones has been better at every point they've been Flames.

If Colborne's not on the box score, that means whatever icetime he got was a waste of time. When he tries to "add more" to his game he just takes the dumbest penalties at the most crucial times like the roughing he took against the Stars or the cross-check to the Ducks. It makes no sense why Colborne isn't effective because like you I am in love with his potential (but at 26, it's sink-or-swim time) but he has "anti-chemistry" with everyone on the team except Bennett and Monahan. And you can toss Monahan out, because Monahan will always be on Johnny's line for the near future and there isn't another player on the team Johnny looks less comfortable playing with than Colborne. For Colborne to succeed with the Flames it's Bennett-line-or-nothing. And honestly that's more "Bennett is really good at everything" than "Colborne has found his match".

Raymond is beyond inconsistent, and I don't want him on the team at all but the one thing I can say about him is he's had chemistry with skilled players before. On the Flames, he and Johnny fed off each other well, as did he and Granlund. On the Canucks he was a legitimate 2nd liner with Kesler centering him. He's just as good a penalty killer as Colborne too, even though he's soft as it gets.

that sir is why they are middle six players and not top line players.

Gaudreau-Monahan-Hudler is our only possible line with all top line players. It's a good and proven line, but it's easy for teams to key in on because it cuts into our scoring depth and has other problems for a few reasons intrinsic to how those three players all play without the puck.

Wayne Primeau

Stay Gold
Apr 22, 2014
Ottawa
Here is my definitive lineup:

Johnny Gaudreau - Sean Monahan - Jiri Hudler
Joe Colborne - Mikael Backlund - Michael Frolik
Mason Raymond - Sam Bennett - David Jones
Lance Bouma - Matt Stajan - Josh Jooris
Paul Byron

Mark Giordano - T.J. Brodie
Dougie Hamilton - Dennis Wideman
Kris Russell - Deryk Engelland
Ladislav Smid

Jonas Hiller
Joni Ortio

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
The Flames like Colborne, not having him in your lineup or having him on the 4th line isn't realistic IMO. I think Hartley really likes the options it gives him and having his size creates favourable match ups. He also works his butt off, he has a really positive attitude and does whatever is asked of him.

Young players take penalties, it's the nature of the beast. I think Joe has been thinking of the Anaheim penalty all offseason, I guarantee you he is more aware of it than anyone else. I think he's going to be a better player for it. His increase in weight tells me he's very prepared for this year and ready to be an impact player.

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Did you guys hear Ferland has been practicing with Monahan and Gaudreau?
Honestly I think we could try out different line combos. Keep Gaudreau and Monahan together, put Bennett and Hudler together to balance out the offense.

Gaudreau- Monahan - Frolik
Ferland- Bennett - Hudler
Bouma- Backlund - Jones
Byron - Stajan - Colbourne
Shore/ Jooris

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
lots of words based on the opinion that Colborne is useless when not putting up points
I was going to reply to all your points but I figured I would sum it up in the one sentence you should have used, it would have saved both of us some time because I am not going to sit here and put down Jones, Jooris or Bouma because I like them all and they are all useful players.

The problem lies in you thinking that Colborne in useless when not scoring, because it is simply not true. You claim he "does nothing" yet he was #2 in hits (in both the regular season and playoffs), only behind Bouma in the regular season and only behind Ferland in the playoffs, he is our best player on faceoffs by a country mile. Fact of the matter is if Colborne was useless when not scoring as you like to claim, Hartley would not have had him in the lineup every night when healthy and he would not have had him as the #2 RW most of the season.

I'm not sure what your issue is but it is painfully clear you hate Colborne, I don't know why but when you do things like use Jooris' wrist injury as an excuse for his play but do not afford Colborne the same luxury and claim Jones does so much more without the puck than Colborne (Colborne is more physical and Jones doesn't block many shots like you claim) it is painfully obvious you are unable to look at things objectively.

OvermanKingGainer

Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm not sure what your issue is but it is painfully clear you hate Colborne,

I do not hate Colborne. I want him to succeed for a variety of reasons, number one of which is that our team is terrible at cycling the puck and he's a player who "could" add a cycle element. The problem is that he doesn't. I'm just a realist - he's a 3rd liner veteran at this point in his career, and any upside is just false hope. Now being a third liner should mean he belongs on the roster, but this team has many, many third liners. That's more the makeup of the team than any fault of his.

use Jooris' wrist injury as an excuse for his play but do not afford Colborne the same luxury

Because Colborne's wrist problems date back 3-5 years. It's a chronic problem with him that hasn't ever gone away.

he would not have had him as the #2 RW most of the season.

Most of the season Jones was the #2RW as Bouma/Glencross were the #2LW. I'll agree that Colborne was the #2RW during the playoffs, but that line wasn't exactly lighting it up beyond Bennett's individual efforts. Backlund in particular really missed Jones & Bouma.

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Because Colborne's wrist problems date back 3-5 years. It's a chronic problem with him that hasn't ever gone away.
Any evidence to support this claim? Because I have never heard such a thing before. He missed no games in his NHL career due to a wrist injury before (or any injury for that matter) and I see no results on google pertaining to anything beyond his wrist injury this past season. Not to mention it has been stated he injured his wrist in the first game against the Habs when we lost him, Stajan and Backlund all in the same night.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Did you read the article? I'm guessing not. Let me highlight some key parts.

Published on Wed Feb 27 2013

When Joe Colborne felt a “pop†in his left wrist at practice just after the Christmas break, he expected the worst.

“Not again,†was the 6-foot-5 Marlies centre’s first thought. “It was a pretty scary moment. I was really worried.â€

It was about the same time a year ago when the former first-round pick of the Boston Bruins tore ligaments in the same wrist, an injury that forced him to play with pain the rest of the AHL season, including their 15-game Calder Cup playoff run.

“But the pop turned out to be just scar tissue breaking down. The pop turned out to be the best thing that could have happened,†Colborne said after practice Tuesday at the Ricoh Coliseum. “From then on, I got all of my mobility back in the wrist. My shot immediately felt better. There was less pain.â€

So a 2 year old article about an injury a year before. An injury that was not treated properly at first. He had surgery for a torn ligament 3 years ago. Now he had surgery again. 2 similar injury =/= a chronic injury. A chronic injury is one that is always a problem and in the article you found he talks about how much better it was feeling since the scar tissue broke down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad