2015 AAA Draft Thread

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

VanIslander

20 years of All-Time Drafts on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Fishermen select right winger Duane Sutter, a Bottom-6 role player on a great NHL dynasty, scoring significantly in three of the four championship postseasons, totally 20 goals and 45 points over the four playoffs, tied for third in team scoring in the fourth postseason with 21 points in 20 games. He followed up the dynasty years with three consecutive 40+ point seasons as a third liner, scoring a career-high 20 goals in the 1985-86 season, finishing the year tied for 6th in team points to end the first 7 years of his career as a significant secondary scorer. However, his regular season production dropped off for the remainder of his career. In the playoffs he scored little after the dynasty years, amassing a mere 13 points over his last 89 playoff games in the 7 postseasons that followed the cups. All that said, his main job wasn't scoring, The first round draft pick was touted for his intangibles of hard work, determination and compete level. The 6'1 winger lived up to his reputation as an agitator and grinder and is an all-time great fourth liner in a limited role.

20601.jpg

dubbed "Dog" by his teammates because he yapped and barked before and during games

Duane applied the typical Sutter style of play immediately. He banged. He crashed. He fought. He blocked shots. He sacrificed for his teammates. He was a leader. He won.

But he added a little extra spice his brothers were not really noted for. He yapped.
Claiming to be heavily influenced by his favorite movie, "Slap Shot," no one was safe from his verbal assaults. He would often be in the middle of an after-the-whistle scrum, chirping away at opposition goaltenders, or defensemen, or coaches or referees.

Affectionately known strictly as grinder,.... he earned twice his paycheck just because of his heart and determination.

Duane Sutter appeared in 731 NHL games, recording 139 goals, 342 points and 1,333 penalty minutes.
http://www.greatesthockeylegends.com/2013/07/duane-sutter.html

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Fishermen select left winger Magnus Arvedson, the Selke trophy runner-up whose great defensive forward career was cut short by injuries.

9009-1246960Fr.jpg

... a strong skater and had admirable work-ethics. Arvedson was especially strong when working the puck in the corners and along the boards...

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
25 146 ResilientBeast - Edmonton Oil Kings - ON THE CLOCK

25 147 seventieslord - Regina Amber Alerts -
25 148 BubbaBoot - City Point Clovers -
25 149 chaosrevolver - Belleville Bulls -
25 150 tony d - Rum River Renegades -

END OF DRAFT

Note: to be followed by making up of skipped picks if any (chaosrevolver) and then a couple of days of ADD/DROP, eh? After which, line-up assassination thread time!

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
25 146 ResilientBeast - Edmonton Oil Kings - ON THE CLOCK

25 147 seventieslord - Regina Amber Alerts -
25 148 BubbaBoot - City Point Clovers -
25 149 chaosrevolver - Belleville Bulls -
25 150 tony d - Rum River Renegades -

END OF DRAFT

Note: to be followed by making up of skipped picks if any (chaosrevolver) and then a couple of days of ADD/DROP, eh? After which, line-up assassination thread time!

Yay!
Upon further review and more internet trawling, it looks like my backup GK was a sporadic, short term flash in the pan....should've gone with my gut instinct and picked one of the others on my short list.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
It has now been 16 hours since VI's selection so I believe I am up.

I'll select Serge Bernier, RW/C. He seems at this point to have the best offensive resume of any winger out there, and as an added bonus he also played center for about half his career (I thought he was just a RW). I have read up on him in scouting reports and haven't yet seen anything substantial about his non-offensive ability, but I'm happy to get him as an AAA spare for his offense and his ability to play two positions.

bernier.jpg

From what I can tell, Bernier was a RW for his entire NHL career, and a C for almost all of his WHA career (possibly for one season he wasn't). His best five seasons were 71 and 73 in the NHL, and 74, 75, and 76 in the WHA. 1977 was also a highlight considering he was the WHA playoff MVP.

With Marks I got a guy who can fill in almost anywhere on the bottom two lines and Bernier can fill in on the top two at RW or C. If I go down a LW, then Boll (who can score as well as most top-6 LWs in this draft) can simply move up a line. I think we're well-covered.

- 6'1", 190 lbs
- Avco Cup (1977)
- WHA Playoff MVP (1977)
- Top-10 in WHA scoring 4 times (3rd, 9th, 9th, 10th)
- Best VsX: 73, 71, 68, 61, 60, 56, 45 (bolded were NHL, others converted from WHA)
- WHA 2nd team sll-star (1975)

hockey cards said:
has very hard shot... not an extremely fast skater, but his teammates call him shifty because of his elusive moves... has what coaches call hockey sense...

legendsofhockey said:
Right-winger Serge Bernier was a fine playmaker and scorer in the NHL who became an explosive force with the WHA's Quebec Nordiques. He was a good skater whose 190-pound frame allowed him to stand his ground in front of the net.

Bernier impressed with 23 goals as a Philadelphia rookie in 1970-71 playing with Jim Johnson and Bill Lesuk. The talented forward was traded in 1971-72 to the L.A. Kings in the deal that brought Bill Flett and Ross Lonsberry to the Flyers. Bernier register a career high 68 points for the Kings in 1972-73 before jumping to the WHA.

The high-flying Nordiques were the perfect fit for Bernier. He represented Canada at the 1974 Summit Series versus the USSR and scored 54 goals in 1974-75 when he teamed with Rejean Houle and Michel Parizeau. Bernier was placed on the WHA second all-star team and was a hero at Le Colisee. The next season he led all playoff scorers 14 goals and 36 points as the Nords won the Avco Cup. Following the victory he was named the most valuable player in the playoffs.

Bernier continued to be force for Quebec through the 1978-79 season and was retained by the franchise when it merged with the NHL in 1979-80. Bernier battled assorted injuries and was more of a role player for the club before announcing his retirement in 1981.

Last edited:

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
With my first skipped pick, I will select LW - Shawn Burr.

shawnburr.jpg

Really one of the most credible penalty killers in this draft, Shawn Burr has a solid physical game and a decent bottom-six offensive game (440 points in 878 games) that go along with an impressive defensive resume (4th and 5th in Selke voting). He had a 30% career usage on the PK for teams that got results 10% better than average. His defensive game is pretty comparable to Pandolfo (who I took recently) but looking back at his accolades, his superior offensive resume may actually put him higher up for me.

Joe Pelletier said:
In 1987 he joined the Red Wings, where he played for 10 years. He was a solid depth forward, playing a defensive role either as a diligent checker. Occasionally he would play on a top line with offensive players, but he was more of a safety valve in such situations as he lacked the speed to be a significant offensive contributor in the NHL. He was a very well liked teammate, forming a special relationship with young Russian forwards new to America, most notably Sergei Fedorov.

Chris Osgood said:
My first game as a rookie, he put my name upside down on my jersey. He was the guy in the '90s who kept everybody else relaxed. He did the dirty work for the team on the ice and then kept the guys relaxed in the dressing room.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
With my second skipped pick, I will select D - Bob Murdoch.

murdochLAK.jpg

Here is a guy I overlooked thinking he was taken, but after a closer observation I realized he was not taken. He killed 48% of penalties for his teams and while he was a top pairing defender, the Kings were very strong defensively.

- 6’0”. 200 lbs
- Stanley Cup (1971, 1973)
- 14th in defense scoring (1975)
- Played in NHL all-star game (1975)
- 11th in All-star voting (1975)
- Placed top-3 on his team in TOI/GP 7 times (1, 1, 1, 1, 2, 3, 3)
- Placed top-3 on his team in ESTOI/GP 7 times (1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3)
- Averaged 22.52 minutes per game for teams 11% better than average
- In his stretch as a #1/2 for Los Angeles (1974-1978) they were always above average defensively, ranking 5th, 2nd, 8th, 6th, 8th in team defense
- Killed 48% of penalties for teams 12% better than average
- Best Defense points percentages: 56, 49, 47, 45, 42, 40

The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey - 1976 said:
Proof of his ascent into one of the NHL’s top defensemen was his addition to the all-star game last season… rushed to defense of Rogie Vachon after ex-teammate Serge Savard boarded the goalie.

The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey - 1977 said:
Kings’ highest scoring defenseman for 2nd consecutive season… also solid defensively… was glad to leave Canadians, where he said he “felt like one in a cast of thousands”… played in every game last season despite an endless list of injuries and stitches that was chronicled in Sports Illustrated.

The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey - 1978 said:
a defensive defenseman, he has a blistering shot from the point, the type forwards like to tip in, fast and low...

The Complete Handbook of Pro Hockey - 1979 said:
The senior King defenseman with 5 years in LA… His intelligence carries over to the ice… he seldom makes a mistake… a very good stickhandler and deceptively fast.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
Finally, with my third and final skipped pick I will take a player I admittedly hated given my team orientation. With that being said, he was an agitator who played a very physical game and played the game hard each and every minute he was on the ice. He could drop the gloves, kill penalties and played every forward position for multiple years during his career.

F - Darcy Tucker

1b417d6e45b4a6ea10c87297dd6c.jpeg

- 5'10", 178 lbs lbs
- played 3 seasons as C, 5 seasons as RW, 5 seasons as LW
- Best percentages by seventies method: 66, 54, 50, 40, 39, 38, 37
- Best ES percentages: 80, 58, 52, 42, 39, 39
- 101 NHL Fights (36-25-20 record as recorded by dropyourgloves.com)
- Average opponent was 3" taller and 25 lbs heavier than him
- Killed 18% of penalties for his teams in his career

Maple Leaf Legends said:
the only reason he wasn't drafted higher was concerned about his size. The scouts didn't measure the largeness of his heart… About the only thing the fans knew about Tucker was that he feuded with Toronto winger Steve Thomas: soon they would be cheering him for his reckless style and the grit he added to the club. … He scored 16 times in 2001, but was getting into far too much trouble with the referees and racked up 141 penalty minutes, many of them needless. To be fair, Tucker was concerned with protecting his teammates and brother-in-law Shane Corson on the ice and at times he seriously lacked discipline. He was strong in the playoffs in a checking role and helped the leafs nearly get past the New Jersey Devils… Tucker returned to Toronto for the 2002 season with the new approach. Gone was the mouthing off to officials and the overreactions on the ice. He still used his body as much as ever, but he realized he could be more effective if he stayed out of the penalty box and his total fell to 92 min. He scored a career-high 24 goals and 59 points, and displayed a touch around goal few had expected. Tucker's intensity was as high as ever and he still lost control on occasion – at the time a hit on Washington defenseman Sergei Gonchar cost him a two-game suspension – but for the most part he stuck to hockey. He was at his most intense in the 2002 playoffs, fighting like a tiger through a hit from behind by Daniel Alfredsson... It injured his shoulder so that he missed three games and played hurt when he returned. A more mature Tucker had now become a very valuable member of the Toronto Maple Leafs.

BubbaBoot

Oct 19, 2003
The Fenway
Visit site
Vladimir Yurzinov
coach

199_jurzinov_2.jpg

Since retiring as a (HoF) player:

- USSR Hall of Fame (Coach) 1976
- IIHF Hall of Fame as Builder/Coach 2002
- Finnish Hockey Hall of Fame as Coach (Hockey Lion #199) 2009

- Player/Head Coach - KOOVEE (SM-Sarja) from 1972/73 - 1973/74
- Asst Coach (to Tikhonov) - USSR National Team from 1974, 1978/79 - 1989-90, 2003/04
- Head Coach - USSR National Team from 1997/98
- Head Coach - Dynamo Moscow (Soviet) from 1974/75 - 1978/79, 1989/90 - 1991/92
- Head Coach - Dinamo Riga (Soviet) from 1980/81 - 1988/89
- Head Coach - TPS (SM-Liiga) from 1992-93 - 1997/98
- Head Coach - Kloten (Swiss NL-A) from 1998/99 - 2004/05
- Head Coach - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl (Russia) from 2005/06 - 2006/07
- Team Consultant - Latvia National Team from 1994/95, 1997/98 - 1998/99
- Senior Advisor - Lausanne (Swiss NL-B / Swiss NL-A) 2011/12 - current

3x SM-Liiga Coach of the Year

7x World Champion (Soviet asst.)
1x Canada Cup (Soviet asst.)
3x Soviet Champion
2x Finnish SM-Liiga*
2x European Champion (TPS)
1x Olympic Silver Medal (Russia)
1x Super Cup Champion

The Summit in 1974 said:
Vladimir Yurzinov
Coach, Team USSR 1974

USSR Merited Sports Master (1963)
USSR Merited Sports Coach (1976)

Club: Dynamo Moscow
Born: 2/20/1940

If anyone were entitled to write a bestselling book about the Russian hockey history, it would definitely be Vladimir Yurzinov. Formally educated as a journalist...... The key in Yurzinov's story is his never stopping ability to keep an open mind and search for the new trends and styles.

After his retirement from playing hockey in 1972, Yurzinov became an extremely successful coach. Throughout his career, Yurzinov was named a coach of the year in Russia, Latvia, Finland and Switzerland. In 1989, he brought the Dynamo Riga to their best result in the USSR ever (silver medals). He brought the Dynamo Moscow to their first gold medals ever in 1992. He coached TPS Turku to the two gold medals in Finland in 1993 and 1995.

At the 1974 Summit Series, Yurzinov was in his first season as a national team coach. After his coaching debut with the KooVee club in Finland in 1972-1974, he was appointed as head coach of Dynamo Moscow and got an offer from Boris Kulagin to server also as Team USSR assistant coach. Many of the Team USSR 1974 players were former Yurzinov's teammates from the time he played hockey. Transition from playing to coaching went really smooth for a 44-year old Yurzinov.

On a national team level, Yurzinov worked for 15 years with a legend of the Soviet coaching, Victor Tiknonov. They won many international tournaments including numerous World and European title, Olympics, Canada Cup and many more. Interestingly enough, besides strictly professional knowledge of hockey, Yurzinov developed a reputation of a person with great never aging communication skills. He was able to coach successfully top NHL stars and the AAA level players, coach with such different personalities and leaders as Viktor Tikhonov in 1976-1987 and Slava Fetisov in Salt Lake City in 2002.

In 1998, Yurzinov brought Team USSR to the silver medals at the Winter Olympics in Nagano. "I was one step away from becoming a great coach," said Yurzinov after a 0-1 loss to the Czech squad in the final game. Although his coaching career is far from being over, Vladimir Yurzinov IS a great coach.

http://www.chidlovski.com/personal/1974/yroster/ruc03.htm

ESPN.com said:
Despite what was seen as widespread disorganization and corruption in the Russian hockey program, 22 NHL players agreed to play for the team in Nagano, including Bure and Fedorov. (Several top players, including Mogilny, Kozlov, Sergei Zubov, and Phoenix goaltender Nikolai Khabibulin, refused to play. Khabibulin, reported the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, went so far as to literally hide when a Russian official came to see him. "I'll be poolside in Hawaii during the Olympics," said the goalie.)

The Russian team, coached by Vladimir Yurzinov (Tikhonov had been fired as coach of the Central Red Army in 1996, and attended the Olympics only as "an honored guest of the hockey federation"), won its first five games, including a stunning 7-4 semifinal victory over Finland, during which three goals were scored in the final 14 minutes. Bure scored five of the Russians' seven goals. Russia lost to the Czechs, led by goalie Dominik Hasek and forward Jaromir Jagr, in the gold medal game, but by winning the silver had retained some of its former glory.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
With my first skipped pick, I will select LW - Shawn Burr.

shawnburr.jpg

Really one of the most credible penalty killers in this draft, Shawn Burr has a solid physical game and a decent bottom-six offensive game (440 points in 878 games) that go along with an impressive defensive resume (4th and 5th in Selke voting). He had a 30% career usage on the PK for teams that got results 10% better than average. His defensive game is pretty comparable to Pandolfo (who I took recently) but looking back at his accolades, his superior offensive resume may actually put him higher up for me.

One extremely underrated player.

chaosrevolver

Snubbed Again
Sponsor
Nov 24, 2006
Ontario
My final pick will be LW - Harry E. Watson

Harry+Moose+Watson.jpg

- Height unknown, 165 lbs
- Member of the HHOF
- Member of the IIHF HOF
- Olympic Gold Medalist (1924)
- Led 1924 Olympics with 50 points in 5 games
- Allan Cup Champion (1922, 1923)
- OHA MVP (1922, 1923)
- Top-4 in OHA scoring 5 times (1st-1917, 2nd-1920, 4th-1921, 3rd-1922, 4th-1923)
- Best OHA percentage (of #1) scores: 100, 96, 89, 82, 75
- OHA 1st All-star Team (1917, 1922, 1923)
- OHA 2nd All-star Team (1920)
- Missed 1918 and 1919 seasons serving in WW1

Joe Pelletier said:
Watson started his career in 1919 with the Toronto Dentals before moving to the Toronto Granites the next year. By 1922 the Granites, led by Watson's unmatched stick handling and speed, won the Allan cup in both 1922 and 1923. The Allan Cup is given to the Canadian Senior Amateur champions.

As a reward for being the 1923 Allan Cup champions, the Toronto Granites were chosen to represent Canada at the 1924 Winter Olympics at Charmonix, France. It was there where Moose Watson enjoyed his greatest athletic achievement and established himself as perhaps the greatest of all Canadian Olympic hockey performers.

The first game was against Czechoslovakia. Watson and teammate Albert McCaffery were a two man wrecking crew, destroying the eastern Europeans 30-0. Watson scored 11 of the 30 goals.

The tournament also featured 20-0 win over Sweden and a 33-0 victory over Switzerland. By the end of the 1924 Winter Olympics, Canada won the gold medal by scoring 110 goals in just 5 games, and giving up only 3. Watson led the way with an unthinkable 36 goals on the outside rink in Charmonix, France!

When Watson returned with the gold medal draped around his neck, he was bombarded with offers from professional teams from just about everywhere. Everyone wanted the heroic Watson who was considered to be the best amateur player. The Montreal Maroons even offered a then-staggering sum of $30,000 to join their team, which would have made him the richest man in professional hockey. Watson responded to all of his countless offers by retiring.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
My final pick will be LW - Harry E. Watson

Harry+Moose+Watson.jpg
:handclap: LOVE the Moose! I've read some great accounts of how he dominated when playing with future-NHL stars (e.g., how he was much better than early-ATD drafted Hooley Smith when they played on the same line as amateurs). He's a solid early era amateur star HHOFer worth inviting to training camp in an extra skater role (maybe at the MLD level as well).

If the Fishermen didn't already have amateur HHOFers Fred Whitcroft and Hobey Baker as extra skaters along with extra skating early era Czechoslovakian greats (Zabrodsky, Bubnik), I'd have lobbied Hedberg for us to draft him!

tony d

New poll series coming from me in June
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I wrap up my team by picking Left Winger Johnny Sheppard.

008115314.jpg

Sheppard from legends of hockey:

Sheppard played in Detroit for two seasons before being dealt to the New York Americans in 1928. In his first season with his new team, Sheppard saw his first NHL playoff experience only to be ousted in the first round by their cross-town rival Rangers. The 1929-30 season saw Sheppard collect his NHL career high in points with 29 in 43 games though the team missed the playoffs for the next few years. After five seasons in New York, Sheppard was traded once again, this time to the Boston Bruins, in 1933. His stay in Boston lasted only four games before he was released, though he signed as a free agent with the Chicago Blackhawks.

The Hawks finished the season behind the Red Wings, but would have the last laugh in the playoffs. After going through both the Montreal teams, the Canadiens and the Maroons, the Hawks found themselves in the Stanley Cup final against the Wings. It took only four games to bring Chicago its first Stanley Cup championship, and for Sheppard his first and only Cup. He left the NHL with his championship and played for two more seasons with the NWHL's Seattle Seahawks before hanging up his skates for good in 1936.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
how is mozyakin suddenly getting picked in AAA drafts? Who started this?

and yeah, Harry Watson could actually be an MLD spare, quite easily. Even an MLD scoring line starter in a bigger draft. It's hard to say exactly where he belongs. I'm not sure why I passed on him. I've taken him over guys like Brunette and Grant in the past. Why not this year? I guess I needed Brunette's playmaking, but why Grant? Granted, He looked like the best offensive LW from the NHL at the time, but Watson seems to compare well to a lot of big name players of his era. He's one of the easiest non-NHL HHOFers to rank, actually. He's a steal here. An outstanding spare, and potentially a superior starter to most in this draft too.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
how is mozyakin suddenly getting picked in AAA drafts? Who started this?

and yeah, Harry Watson could actually be an MLD spare, quite easily. Even an MLD scoring line starter in a bigger draft. It's hard to say exactly where he belongs. I'm not sure why I passed on him. I've taken him over guys like Brunette and Grant in the past. Why not this year? I guess I needed Brunette's playmaking, but why Grant? Granted, He looked like the best offensive LW from the NHL at the time, but Watson seems to compare well to a lot of big name players of his era. He's one of the easiest non-NHL HHOFers to rank, actually. He's a steal here. An outstanding spare, and potentially a superior starter to most in this draft too.

Me probably, best player in the second best league on earth.

And he's a spare, he's fine in a spare role

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Me probably, best player in the second best league on earth.

And he's a spare, he's fine in a spare role

nope, I just checked, it was a user now called "connor mcdavid", but he went by a different name at the time. his one and only draft with us was AAA 2013. His team was so bad that Mozyakin might have been one of his five best picks. And from there, you took him last year and then again this year. (I know people are loath to admit it, but I'm sure the fact that he showed up as an AAA pick the year before had something to do with him even crossing your radar in the first place last year)

A few questions:

- How sure are we that the KHL is the world's second best league? Does the AHL not deserve some consideration in that regard, or am I out to lunch there?

- There have been players in that league for more than a season or two, that we know damn well are better players than him, such as Alexei Yashin and Ilya Kovalchuk, and he's outscoring them, so we should be careful about calling the highest scorer the "best player" outright.

- Should we be concerned about his international record? His scoring at higher levels is brutal. Compare to the other top Soviets who've played a lot of games in the past decade: Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk... it's not even close. And no, he shouldn't have to demonstrate a level of scoring like them, of course, but top international players tend to get into a lot more games than 39, and score a lot better than 0.31 GPG and 0.67 PPG. I mean, we care a lot less about international play for post-1990 players than pre-1990, right? and if he was a pre-1990 soviet with those kinds of national team numbers he wouldn't have a hope of AA draft selection. (with those domestic numbers, sure, he would, but also a pre-1990 soviet with those numbers would have had far better competition when scoring them)

- Some comparable players who have tended to rank highly in the KHL/RSL scoring race over the past while, that have north american records we can look to:

1. Brandon Bochenski: Bochenski was considered an early calder candidate a decade ago, but petered out quickly. he managed 0.44 PPG in the NHL, and over a PPG in the AHL. He's averaged 1.11 PPG in the KHL over 4 seasons.

2. Aleksey Morozov: Morozov was a highly touted prospect who left the NHL during his offensive prime. He was a one-dimensional scoring winger who averaged 0.46 PPG over a good large sample of 490 NHL games. He's averaged 1.03 PPG in the RSL/KHL over a sample of 500 more games, and has gotten into 62 international games, scoring 46 points.

3. Alexander Radulov: He has scored a respectable 0.66 PPG in a very short NHL sample played mostly before the ages in which you'd expect him to be in his offensive prime. He's scored 1.26 PPG in the KHL, and 40 points in 50 international games.

4. Patrick Thoresen: He was more or less a failed NHL player who averaged 0.23 PPG and maybe could have stuck around as a lower tier player but went to the KHL, where he's scored 0.97 PPG the last 5 seasons.

5. Nikolay Zherdev: He scored a respectable 0.62 PPG in a short NHL career in which he was a highly touted youngster given every opportunity to excel for a team that wanted to be run and gun. In the KHL he has scored .67 PPG in 300 games that sandwiched his NHL career that included most of his prime scoring years.

6. Josef Vasicek: Vasicek was supposed to be an offensive player but struggled to capture that role in the NHL. He scored 0.38 PPG in 500 NHL games, and 0.84 in three KHL seasons.

7. Mattias Weinhandl: Another player that was expected to score at the NHL level but ultimately couldn't. He scored 0.30 PPG in the NHL and 0.89 in four KHL seasons.

8. Maxim Sushinsky: In a really small sample size, he scored 11 points in 30 NHL games and then left, citing homesickness. He's scored 0.83 PPG in a very large, 800 game sample in Russia. Sushinsky's 34 points in 56 international games represent a slightly lower PPG than Mozyakin, but in a 50% larger sample.

9. Alexander Korolyuk: Korolyuk was a classic "below average 2nd liner" while in the NHL pre-lockout, managing 0.47 PPG. He has averaged 0.75 over 700 Russian games.

10. Alexander Perezhogin: Perezhogin was once considered a good prospect, but managed just 0.27 PPG over a short career, and 0.61 over a couple of AHL seasons. He's averaged 0.64 over 600 Russian games, He's even scored in the couple of tournaments he's been in - 15 points in 19 games.

11. Pavel Brendl: A hotshot prospect turned complete failure due to attitude and conditioning, Brendl scored 0.28 PPG in 80 largely unearned NHL chances, and just 0.67 over 5 AHL seasons. He scored 0.74 over three KHL seasons.

12. Marcel Hossa: Hossa averaged 0.26 career PPG in the NHL, and 0.66 in four AHL seasons. In the KHL he averaged 0.63 points over 7 seasons.

Mozyakin has 1.08 PPG in over 600 KHL/NHL games and 0.67 in 39 international games.

what can we conclude from all this? Well, I made this a big post for a reason. It wouldn't be fair to just point at Brandon Bochenski and say "see? Mozyakin is no better than a failed NHL player, a Peter White clone who was overqualified for the AHL but couldn't stick in the big league". On the other hand, it's way too generous to simply conclude he's "about as good as Morozov and not quite as good at Radulov" because those are probably the two most favourable comparisons.

With a large sample size of data, we're able to take a sort of a composite image of what he might look like as an NHL scorer. Here's what I would say:

Mozyakin has clearly performed better than Zherdev (who could have maybe been a minor NHL star), Korolyuk (who may have forged an NHL career as a 2nd liner), Vasicek (a decent but forgettable NHL player), and Perezhogin, Weinhandl, Hossa, Brendl, Sushinsky and Thoresen (0.2-0.3 PPG marginal/failed NHL players)

Mozyakin has definitely not performed better than Radulov, who was a pretty good NHL player that could have maybe been a minor star.

Mozyakin has performed at about the same level as Bochenski (AHL/NHL tweener) and Morozov (one dimensional second liner with first line potential)

I think that based on this it's clear Mozyakin could have earned an NHL job on merit if he wanted to. But is he a demonstrably better player than Morozov, who is about his equal domestically and his superior internationally? Morozov was nothing special as an NHL player and had he remained there until, say, 2013, would he be an AAA level player? If you look at the guys we've been selecting to play on AAA scoring lines, I'm thinking no (but I couldn't 100% rule it out). And Morozov is the most charitable comparison in that he's a guy who actually proved he could cut it here. Mozyakin could just as easily be a Bochenski. If you split the difference between those two, while assuming we know enough to say he's clearly better than the Perezhogin/Weinhandl/Hossa/Brendl/Sushinsky/Thoresen class of players, then we're looking at a career 2nd/3rd line tweener if we're making an honest projection based on what we know.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Add/drop candidates:

- Victor Hedman. Yes it's true that Hedman has played about 150 games of hockey at a higher level than any other defenseman in this draft. But that's not a very VanIslander pick. It's an 87and71 pick. VI, you usually abhor the fetishization of youngsters. Hedman still has under 400 games played (for a team that's been bad more often than it's been good) and has averaged 21 minutes a game for them. There are still guys out there who played that many minutes, or more, for twice as long, and for better teams on the whole. Do they have his 150-game flash in the pan as a top-10 defenseman? they don't, but they have a more proven career-long track record. Like you, I'm 100% certain Hedman will one day be a better all-time player than they are, but he isn't now. He's actually a better pick than OEL was last draft, but still seems weak here, and certainly wasn't a "wow so good must draft first overall" caliber player.

- Jiri Novak. Novak was selected in the 1500s two years ago to little fanfare, but brought up an extra 400 picks the following year. To quote myself then: This is a center who was routinely outscored by his linemates. In international games from 1973-1979, Novak had 0.73 PPG, which isn't great to start with, but he achieved that number with players who scored 1.29 and 0.84 PPG themselves. And he played the position that inherently gets more points just due to more puck touches. That's "Bozak and Kessel circa 2012" territory. Think of some other famous recent examples of centers who put up decent numbers but were clearly the third wheel between two more dominant wingers. Morrison, Rucchin... do you put them on a first line? BubbaBoot, I give you all the credit in the world for just doing your thing and not being a "past draft watcher" like I know a few people here are, but this is one case where being a past draft watcher would have been a benefit. Novak was the highest ranked player in the "should not have been drafted" category in last year's AAA.

- Ron Plumb. Plumb did have that one season as the WHA's top defenseman, but there is a lot to not like about his career: 1) he was never top-4 in the WHA for top defenseman again (never on an all-star team). 2) two of the others to make the all-star teams that season were very weak all-time candidates who shouldn't be considered for a good 500 more picks - meaning this was a weak season ripe for a spiking player to jump in and grab the trophy. 3) his overall career was very short; only 575 games including the NHL. 4) his NHL career was very underwhelming, playing just 1/3 of a season as the #5 defenseman on a very bad Hartford team, and he was just 29.

- Rudolf Potsch. I've reviewed the bio, and what was said this year as well as what I had to say two years ago, and I still think he's an underqualified player for this level. I have yet to see what makes him different from most undrafted soviet, czech or swedish defenseman who played in 7 international tournaments in the 60s, 70s, or 80s without getting any individual honour - and there are so many of them out there still.

- Curtis Leschyshyn. A good defensive player, yes, but there are also very good defensive players out there who played a hell of a lot more than 18.8 minutes per game for better than average teams, and more specifically killed more penalties than just 37%. His case rests on descriptions of his defensive ability but there are still plenty of defensemen who have all that, plus better recognition and statistical cases too. He looked a lot better in 2010 and 2011 when he was taken in the 1500s/1600s. there was little reason for him to end up in the AAA in 2013 and then again the last two years.

- Clare Drake. I realize he's done a lot in canadian college hockey, but even if that was American college hockey, I wouldn't be considering him for a long time. There's a canadian major junior coach who has had even more success at that level of competition, where players are a season or two away from competing in the NHL (as opposed to players with little to no hope of an AHL career), and I don't think it's even quite time to select him yet. I realize he's been selected as an assistant coach, and there's a little more leeway in that regard, but even still, I don't see why that guy shouldn't be taken over him, or another with a decade of success at the NHL level as an actual assistant (including a cup) and scads of major junior success himself.

- Jiri Crha. BubbaBoot already realizes this so I won't pile on. I do want to again state that his 18-point save percentage edge over other NHL-caliber Leafs goalies (who played against the same competition, behind the same defense, forwards and coaches) should not be brushed off as completely insignificant. He did at least separate himself from your average, run of the mill, short-career-got-shellshocked, goaltender.

- Vladimir Yurzinov. I could actually see him as an assistant coach here. He was very successful in that role. But as a head coach, this is a guy who has coached all of 12 top pool international games. I realize he's won some championships in domestic leagues but it isn't to the degree where you could confidently claim that winning followed him around. He'd be a great assistant, but I see him as underqualified as a head coach this high up. After thinking about it some more, he's not someone you need to outright drop. You could install a head coach over him, keep him and drop a spare. Not that I think any of them are particularly bad, but Pettersson, Brown and Lynn are possible candidates if you go that route (I would not give a player like Wilson such an unceremonious disposition).

- Sergei Mozyakin. See one post above.

Last edited:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I am a firm believer in the saying "don't just complain, suggest solutions", and in that spirit I am always willing to provide suggestions for alternatives to the above players and coaches if anyone is interested. I can definitely think of 4 defensemen, a center, a winger, a goalie, a head coach and an assistant coach who are still available but should not fall past the end of the AAA draft.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Add/drop candidates:

- Victor Hedman. Yes it's true that Hedman has played about 150 games of hockey at a higher level than any other defenseman in this draft. But that's not a very VanIslander pick. It's an 87and71 pick. VI, you usually abhor the fetishization of youngsters. Hedman still has under 400 games played (for a team that's been bad more often than it's been good) and has averaged 21 minutes a game for them. There are still guys out there who played that many minutes, or more, for twice as long, and for better teams on the whole. Do they have his 150-game flash in the pan as a top-10 defenseman? they don't, but they have a more proven career-long track record. Like you, I'm 100% certain Hedman will one day be a better all-time player than they are, but he isn't now. He's actually a better pick than OEL was last draft, but still seems weak here, and certainly wasn't a "wow so good must draft first overall" caliber player.

- Jiri Novak. Novak was selected in the 1500s two years ago to little fanfare, but brought up an extra 400 picks the following year. To quote myself then: This is a center who was routinely outscored by his linemates. In international games from 1973-1979, Novak had 0.73 PPG, which isn't great to start with, but he achieved that number with players who scored 1.29 and 0.84 PPG themselves. And he played the position that inherently gets more points just due to more puck touches. That's "Bozak and Kessel circa 2012" territory. Think of some other famous recent examples of centers who put up decent numbers but were clearly the third wheel between two more dominant wingers. Morrison, Rucchin... do you put them on a first line? BubbaBoot, I give you all the credit in the world for just doing your thing and not being a "past draft watcher" like I know a few people here are, but this is one case where being a past draft watcher would have been a benefit. Novak was the highest ranked player in the "should not have been drafted" category in last year's AAA.

- Ron Plumb. Plumb did have that one season as the WHA's top defenseman, but there is a lot to not like about his career: 1) he was never top-4 in the WHA for top defenseman again (never on an all-star team). 2) two of the others to make the all-star teams that season were very weak all-time candidates who shouldn't be considered for a good 500 more picks - meaning this was a weak season ripe for a spiking player to jump in and grab the trophy. 3) his overall career was very short; only 575 games including the NHL. 4) his NHL career was very underwhelming, playing just 1/3 of a season as the #5 defenseman on a very bad Hartford team, and he was just 29.
This kind of targeted and argued case for other teams to DROP their players hasn't been done like this before. I don't know if I am alone in finding it off-putting. We explained and cited details why we appreciate the players we picked in the pick information we provided and linked. It would have been nice to DISCUSS the merits of a pick when it happens. But the one-sided "You should drop this guy" argument now is, well, off-putting. Some of your picks suck. But I'm not going to argue that you DROP them. There are two sides to most picks. Usually the Assassination Thread is where teams are reviewed in a balanced way, and picks are assessed for the individual player's talent level, peak and career experience relative to the draft level competition and fit of the squad.

OUT.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
This kind of targeted and argued case for other teams to DROP their players hasn't been done like this before. I don't know if I am alone in finding it off-putting. We explained and cited details why we appreciate the players we picked in the pick information we provided and linked. It would have been nice to DISCUSS the merits of a pick when it happens. But the one-sided "You should drop this guy" argument now is, well, off-putting. Some of your picks suck. But I'm not going to argue that you DROP them. There are two sides to most picks. Usually the Assassination Thread is where teams are reviewed in a balanced way, and picks are assessed for the individual player's talent level, peak and career experience relative to the draft level competition and fit of the squad.

OUT.

- Yes, you've already provided your feedback on a few of my picks a few days ago. Now that I am able to do it, it's off-putting?

- I defended my picks, you had no response. I'm prepared to defend them further. Are you going to defend yours or just pout?

- you have campaigned for other teams to drop players yourself in the past, have you forgotten?

- I was too busy to discuss those players when they were picked. I said as much over a week ago. Now I do have time, so I'm making up for last time. There's no need to look at it any differently than you would if I had said these things right at the time of selection.

- I can say the same things about these players during lineup assassinations if you like.

- Instead of criticizing the very idea of criticizing picks (which is a very important part of this process), try addressing the substance of the criticism. It will come off a lot less.... petulant.

I mean, we're criticizing the careers and legacies of players none of us know personally, right? From some of your reactions you'd think I criticized your mother, first born son, religion and homeland. It would be nice if people could all agree to take criticism of picks in a fantasy draft as only that, and nothing more.

Last edited:

MadArcand

Whaletarded
Dec 19, 2006
Seat of the Empire
- How sure are we that the KHL is the world's second best league? Does the AHL not deserve some consideration in that regard, or am I out to lunch there?
Extremely out to lunch. AHL ain't even top-5. It's a factor of its developmental nature, but still.

- Should we be concerned about his international record? His scoring at higher levels is brutal. Compare to the other top Soviets who've played a lot of games in the past decade: Ovechkin, Malkin, Kovalchuk, Datsyuk... it's not even close. And no, he shouldn't have to demonstrate a level of scoring like them, of course, but top international players tend to get into a lot more games than 39, and score a lot better than 0.31 GPG and 0.67 PPG. I mean, we care a lot less about international play for post-1990 players than pre-1990, right? and if he was a pre-1990 soviet with those kinds of national team numbers he wouldn't have a hope of AA draft selection. (with those domestic numbers, sure, he would, but also a pre-1990 soviet with those numbers would have had far better competition when scoring them)
Is 0.67 PPG when you're not playing first line minutes (and sometimes not even 2nd line) actually bad?

Now I'm not sure if Mozyakin is a good pick or not, but those two points are rather bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad