2014 Memorial Cup Location

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

GangGreen

May 27, 2012
I'll post an equally biased view from the other perspective. The Colts will also likely return a full defence corps including the best defenceman on either team - Belle River's own - Aaron Ekblad. He can play 30 minutes a night next year in crunch time so the Colts really only need three other guys. Up front Anasthasiou - Hall - Theoret outscore any top line the Spits can put out there and that's assuming that AC doesn't come back. Bradford - McDonald - Lemieux will have to improve, but the Colts also have the following picks in first five rounds of the upcoming draft to deal:

2013 Colts: 1st (once drafted), KIT 3rd, PLY 3rd, OTT 3rd, WSR 4th

vs.

2013 Spits: 3rd, SAG 4th, ERI 5th

The Colts will have at least one OA spot and will also have two import spots to fill with an eye to improving what they already have.

I would like Barrie's chances a lot better if they could field this year's team next year.
Windsor will find it hard to add a significant player without a first round talent to give up.They do have a bunch of 2nds the following year I believe they could deal though.

With London and Guelph knocked out for hosting too recently, (I know Guelph isn't actually bidding) I would think it comes down to Barrie icing a bit stronger team next year vs Windsor having the bigger and better facility, plus a possible feeling of being owed for being passed over last time. The tiebreaker may be the sanctions against Windsor, whether justified or not. Windsor just doesn't have enough assets to make themselves a Memorial Cup host-worthy team. I think Barrie gets the host next year, Windsor in 2017

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think the committee will look at Windsor's record post deadline too, but I don't think they'll see it as a positive. Below .500? Sure, there's been some injuries but it's also with the benefit of Aleardi and Khokhlachev and it will be unlikely they have either back.

I'll post an equally biased view from the other perspective. The Colts will also likely return a full defence corps including the best defenceman on either team - Belle River's own - Aaron Ekblad. He can play 30 minutes a night next year in crunch time so the Colts really only need three other guys. Up front Anasthasiou - Hall - Theoret outscore any top line the Spits can put out there and that's assuming that AC doesn't come back. Bradford - McDonald - Lemieux will have to improve, but the Colts also have the following picks in first five rounds of the upcoming draft to deal:

vs.

The Colts will have at least one OA spot and will also have two import spots to fill with an eye to improving what they already have.

In regards to Windsor re draft picks u forgot to mention that the Spits have a
2nd rd for 2013
The pick was acquired from Niagara by way of Eriie,from Sarnia,in the Maletta deal
The conditions of the Maletta deal was if Niagara obtained a 2nd rder prior to Apr the2014 2nd rd pick would revert to a 2013 2nd rd instead
Most people forget this part of the deal
As well it should be noted that the Spits have 2 1st rd picks in the Euro draft,1 in the top 10 and 1 in the top 25,Niagaras

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I would like Barrie's chances a lot better if they could field this year's team next year.
Windsor will find it hard to add a significant player without a first round talent to give up.They do have a bunch of 2nds the following year I believe they could deal though.

With London and Guelph knocked out for hosting too recently, (I know Guelph isn't actually bidding) I would think it comes down to Barrie icing a bit stronger team next year vs Windsor having the bigger and better facility, plus a possible feeling of being owed for being passed over last time. The tiebreaker may be the sanctions against Windsor, whether justified or not. Windsor just doesn't have enough assets to make themselves a Memorial Cup host-worthy team. I think Barrie gets the host next year, Windsor in 2017

Not sure how u can suggest Barrie projects to have a better team next yr
Point wise the Spits have as of now 390 pts returning offensively,while Barrie has 280
pts,from the backend Spits have 121 pts returning while the Colts have 70 almost less,then half
In goal 18 year old Fontinos is the lone goalie for Barrie,while Pavelka and Dekort
may return for Windsor
On defence Colts have 1 guy with more then 10 pts,which is 17 year old Eckblad returning,while the Spits have 4, in fact 3 have more then 25,,Colts 1
Both teams have room for 1 O/A which I imagine will be used upfront
In terms of returning players it does not add up for Barrie,especially point wise on the backend
If Zach Hall does not return it makes it even worse Colts would only have 208 pts
returning as of now big difference compared to Windsor

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I think the committee will look at Windsor's record post deadline too, but I don't think they'll see it as a positive. Below .500? Sure, there's been some injuries but it's also with the benefit of Aleardi and Khokhlachev and it will be unlikely they have either back.

vs.

We will disagree whether the committe will look positively on the spits post deadline
my guess because 2 of the best D were out most of the last 21 games and going
500 will look positive despite Koko and Aleardi not returning,because both D will back
The spits have 121 pts returning on the D as of now while the colts have 80,gig differnce,4 spits with more then 10 pts colts have 2

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Not sure how u can suggest Barrie projects to have a better team next yr
Point wise the Spits have as of now 390 pts returning offensively,while Barrie has 280
pts,from the backend Spits have 121 pts returning while the Colts have 70 almost less,then half
In goal 18 year old Fontinos is the lone goalie for Barrie,while Pavelka and Dekort
may return for Windsor
On defence Colts have 1 guy with more then 10 pts,which is 17 year old Eckblad returning,while the Spits have 4, in fact 3 have more then 25,,Colts 1
Both teams have room for 1 O/A which I imagine will be used upfront
In terms of returning players it does not add up for Barrie,especially point wise on the backend
If Zach Hall does not return it makes it even worse Colts would only have 208 pts
returning as of now big difference compared to Windsor

Just making a correction re the Colts D and returning pts,they actually have 2 with more then 10 pts,Eckblad and Dotchin,but only 1 with plus 25 pts,while Windsor has 3
returning
Also with Barrie I left off Theoret returning as he is expected to sign with the Isles
Still allows the Colts to get another O/A besides Hall and Lepkowski
With Windsor I projected Giftopoulous and Pavelka as returning O/As,and left room for 1 more
If Pavelka does not return an O/A spot may be used on a goalie,same with the Colts,going with an 18 year old in a Mem cup year is unlikely

Percyma

Oct 30, 2011
As well it should be noted that the Spits have 2 1st rd picks in the Euro draft,1 in the top 10 and 1 in the top 25,Niagaras

I agree with you Legend. First round import picks have the potential to be more valuable than first round priority selection picks, at least in the first season. While most priority selection picks from the first round are bantam players, first round import picks have a tendency to be a year or two older. Teams have been known to draft imports who will be with them for just one season. An example of a player like this from Windsor’s past is Andrei Loktionov. An 18 or 19-year old import is more likely to be an impact player in his first year in the OHL than a 16-year-old rookie straight out of bantam. Unless, of course, said rookie is a Connor McDavid.

So the Spitfires have an excellent opportunity to add not only one, but two, impact players via the import draft this summer.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010

vs.

krazy kanuck

I did a further analysis re Barrie and Windsor comparative for next yr as it relates to
goals and points returning from the forwards and the defence,points from other teams were not included,ie Theorets from NF,Koekoek and Giftopoulous from Ottawa
Here are the findings
You mentioned that the 1st line for Barrie would outscore Windsor:s 1st line
not true
Barries line of Hall- Theoret- AA- have 54 goals this season,while Windsor"s
line or Vail-Rychel- Giftopoulous has 61 goals
Barries 2nd line od Macdoanld-Bradford-Lemeiux has 33 goals,while Windsors 2nd line
of HoSang-Marchese-Johnson has 37 goals,the colts third line of Scott-Corson-Rymarchuck has 5 goals while the Windsor 3rd line of Verbeek-Studnicka-Graham has 4 goals
The total number of pts returning for forwards is Barrie 220,Windsor-259
You will I included 2 O/As up front for Barrie Hall/Theoret to return although I expect Theoret to be signed by the Islanders for next yr,which would make the scoring a little more challening
For Windsor only included 1 O/A forward Giftopoulous,allowing for at least 1 more O/a
forward which I expect would increase the scoring upfront

On defence the numbers are as follows,in Barrie"s case I allowed for Lepkowski to the 3rd and final O/A while Windsor I went with the 9 possible returnees with no O/A considered
Barrie"s 7 D-men projected to return next year have only scored 8 goals this year,Eckblad has 6 of them while Windsors 9 Dmen have scored 22 goals
In terms of pts from the D,Barrie"s have scored a total of 62 pts,Windsor"s 89

Goaltending,I projected Pavelka and Dekort returming for Windsor,with Pavelka taking up an O/A spot/Euro, and Fontinos as the only returnng goalie at the age of 18,same as Dekort
At the end of it all Windsor was left with 1 O//A to use ,Barrie was allowed for their 3
In conclusion, the stats total wise and comparative wise lineup on Windsor"s side
Numbers dont lie as they say,roster wise the Spits have 2 goalies,9 D and 10 forwards returning including 2 projected O/As,while Barrie has 1 goalie,7D and 9 forwards returning including 3 projected O/As
This combined with the perceived infrastructure concerns re Barrie makes me
come to the conclusion that Windsor"s bid trumps Barrie

Bubba P

Nov 12, 2012
hockeylegend11
Your 2 returning goalies have allowed 240 goals. Only Erie & Ottawa allowed more. You have all these returning players with all these points & they still didn`t make the playoffs this year. What makes you think it will be any better next year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
hockeylegend11
Your 2 returning goalies have allowed 240 goals. Only Erie & Ottawa allowed more. You have all these returning players with all these points & they still didn`t make the playoffs this year. What makes you think it will be any better next year.

Cant pin all the goals against on the goalies,at the 30 game mark Dekort"s ave was.312
and Pavelka"s was 3.08,team had trouble scoring but the defense and goaltending was not an issue,should be noted the 240 against alo includes 6 empty netters and 6 shootout goals
During the 1st 30 games the Spits missed 7 man games with injuries,during the next 30 games leading until today,Spits have missed 77 man games due to injury,11 times more then what happened the 1st half of the sched,plus 23 man games missed due to suspensions
Injuries to the Spits,2 of their best Dmen KoekKoek and Seiloff have missed 30 games combined in the last 21 games since the trade deadline yet the Spits are 10-10-0-1 with them and others out with injuries and suspensions
The trades at the deadline have helped this team and in the future looking at next year,both Koekkoek and Giftopoulous will be back
When the Spits were relatively healthy they went 5-0-0-1 before more injuries and suspensions hit thus decimating this team going forward
The goals against looks gaudy but there were reasons for a large part of them which I feel wont happen next year
As well with a young roster all 9 D-men are under 19 currently,1 goalie 17,9 forwards
under 19,one might the potential for improvement
To me the goal tending is not a concern with these facts presented,as it compares
to Barrie when they only have 1 definitive goalie back and he is an 18 year old
In the end the Spits have more offense returning,despite the loss of Koko and Aleardi,the colts lose Scheiffle,Camara,Beyers,Oconnor and Nieiderburger,huge losses
Windsor offense from the defense returning will be amongst the best in the league
No doubt there is work to be done by Windsor to more competetive going forward,Barrie is in a similiar boat despite their standing this year

Bubba P

Nov 12, 2012
We could go on all day debating who will have the better team. Both teams have good points & bad points going into next year. I guess we will have to wait until then to see who is right. Good luck to both teams with their bids, as long as London doesn`t get it.

doogie24

Jan 27, 2009
Ontario
While most priority selection picks from the first round are bantam players

[...] 16-year-old rookie straight out of bantam.

I agree with your points regarding the import draft, but just wanted to nitpick this a bit - the OHL drafts out of Minor Midget, WHL drafts out of Bantam.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
We could go on all day debating who will have the better team. Both teams have good points & bad points going into next year. I guess we will have to wait until then to see who is right. Good luck to both teams with their bids, as long as London doesn`t get it.

That we can agree on,though I think London will get it unfortunately

They have a solid team coming back,decent goaltending,not great,ok def,excluding O/A

only 4 D returning,11 or 12 forwards plus O/As Broadhurst and maybe Griffith,real good

best in the OHL

That we can agree on,though I think London will get it unfortunately

They have a solid team coming back,decent goaltending,not great,ok def,excluding O/A

only 4 D returning,11 or 12 forwards plus O/As Broadhurst and maybe Griffith,real good

best in the OHL
With London in a position to get back all 13 forwards(2 OA's)..their lineup up front should be unrivaled..although you still win on the ice not on paper..don't have to explain this. The D corp..should include Maatta,Zadorov,Mermis,Liberati as a core with Sefton possibly returning as an OA although not likely. With Centorame making the jump as well as DiLorenzo..this team will likely only have 3-5 open spots tops going into camp. Hard to envision that the Knights next year could in fact be stronger than this year..and even last year. Only real question mark could be in goal. Pretty strong selling tools for the selection committee to ponder over. If London doesn't host in 2005..they'd be a lock in my opinion.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
With London in a position to get back all 13 forwards(2 OA's)..their lineup up front should be unrivaled..although you still win on the ice not on paper..don't have to explain this. The D corp..should include Maatta,Zadorov,Mermis,Liberati as a core with Sefton possibly returning as an OA although not likely. With Centorame making the jump as well as DiLorenzo..this team will likely only have 3-5 open spots tops going into camp. Hard to envision that the Knights next year could in fact be stronger than this year..and even last year. Only real question mark could be in goal. Pretty strong selling tools for the selection committee to ponder over. If London doesn't host in 2005..they'd be a lock in my opinion.

Cant disagree with pretty much everything u wrote,goaltending right now a question mark ,might not be by next year,not convinced Griffith returns but if he does whoa,on the back end even if he does not return means you can pick up 2 O/A D-men,minimum 1 as I agree doubtful Sefton returns I think San Jose signs him,would hesitate to have 2 17 year olds as my bottom pair,need to have experience there especially at Mem cup

Cant disagree with pretty much everything u wrote,goaltending right now a question mark ,might not be by next year,not convinced Griffith returns but if he does whoa,on the back end even if he does not return means you can pick up 2 O/A D-men,minimum 1 as I agree doubtful Sefton returns I think San Jose signs him,would hesitate to have 2 17 year olds as my bottom pair,need to have experience there especially at Mem cup
If Griffith comes back...look for one of either Pawley or Jammes to be moved..in fact I wouldn't be shocked if they're both moved in the off season. London has to make room for young Owen MacDonald..who will make this team out of camp next year. Nice spot to be in...especially in a season they're bidding on the Memorial Cup.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
In regards to Windsor re draft picks u forgot to mention that the Spits have a 2nd rd for 2013. The pick was acquired from Niagara by way of Eriie,from Sarnia,in the Maletta deal. The conditions of the Maletta deal was if Niagara obtained a 2nd rder prior to Apr the2014 2nd rd pick would revert to a 2013 2nd rd instead
Most people forget this

I use in the o radio for this information - their team of writers is usually dead on. Are you sure you didn't miss that pick being subsequently dealt (and the conditions are right)? Could be so, but like I say they're usually on top of these things, especially this far after the deal.

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
I use in the o radio for this information - their team of writers is usually dead on. Are you sure you didn't miss that pick being subsequently dealt (and the conditions are right)? Could be so, but like I say they're usually on top of these things, especially this far after the deal.

I folllow the Spits and their moves on a daily basis,plus having a pipeline or two
doesnt hurt,in this case conditions of trade came on deadline day when NF Falls
made the deal for Wigle
I am quite sure the conditions part of the Maletta was forgotten as he was dealt 6 days before the deadline

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Also:

- if Theoret doesn't return the Colts get extra compensation that could be traded.
- out score - usually refers to points. That was what I meant.
- Ekblad is SOOOO much better than any other defenseman on either team. His points are in 20 less games. And that's not even the strongest part of his game. Kid was playing 30-40 minutes a night last year in the playoffs and was great.
- Fotinos will be fine. He almost had the starting gig last season before getting hurt. I'm sure he wanted a starting gig this year but the Colts felt he was too valuable for next year.

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
Also:

- if Theoret doesn't return the Colts get extra compensation that could be traded.
- out score - usually refers to points. That was what I meant.
- Ekblad is SOOOO much better than any other defenseman on either team. His points are in 20 less games. And that's not even the strongest part of his game. Kid was playing 30-40 minutes a night last year in the playoffs and was great.
- Fotinos will be fine. He almost had the starting gig last season before getting hurt. I'm sure he wanted a starting gig this year but the Colts felt he was too valuable for next year.

Actually Koekoek had 28 pts in 40 games for Peterborough so his numbers slightly better
It Theoret does not return huge loss for Colts,not easy to replace
Fontinos is a nice young goalie dont know if he is capable of full load at 18 in a Mem Cup year,most teams use older goalies
As i referenced pts returning next year favor the Spits both at forward and defense

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
If Griffith comes back...look for one of either Pawley or Jammes to be moved..in fact I wouldn't be shocked if they're both moved in the off season. London has to make room for young Owen MacDonald..who will make this team out of camp next year. Nice spot to be in...especially in a season they're bidding on the Memorial Cup.

Not surprised re Jammes and or Pawley probably moved,next year,especially getting
Macdonald some ice time,also Tait Seguin might be in the mix,as well the McCarron
kid who might be an x factor going forward,a 6"5 220 giant with skill, talk about the rich getting richer if they get him signed

sbrug

Aug 30, 2012

MacDonald definitely is on next year's team. Michael McCarron is done his USNTDP thing by fall 2013, though he has a commitment to Western Michigan, not sure how serious that is. Don't think Sefton is good enough for the next level but San Jose picked him relatively high and he is physically mature enough for the AHL. Wouldn't mind him back as a 3rd pairing guy. Like the team for next year, still think the league doesn't award London the hosting rights and rightly so, it should be between Barrie and Windsor.

krazy kanuck

Dec 24, 2008
Alberta
Actually Koekoek had 28 pts in 40 games for Peterborough so his numbers slightly better

His points are slightly better, but like I said that's not what defines Ekblad's game. I actually like Koekkoek, but what is he, a career minus 400? He also has trouble staying healthy - this is the second career ending injury he's had in two years.

That's an exageration by the way. I don't need you to go researching to discover that he's actually a career minus 60. I realize that he played on a crap team, but minus 60? Your castoff Trojanovic has managed a -24 since he joined the Petes (roughly the same period of time) and was even a +1 in his first season (27 games) with them. This year Slater was a - 26 with the Petes (the worst of all Petes D) while Devlin was a +10 and Trojanovic a -10.

The biggest addition to the 15 win Colts from 2010-2011 who improved to win 40 in 11-12 was a 15/16 year old Aaron Ekblad. By Memorial Cup time next year he'll be 18. Look out.

P.S. - Tampa's defence is pretty bad you know. They feature the likes of Keith Aulie and Brian Lee in their top six on a regular basis. Might be they figure they could use Slater next year...at least for the 10 game tryout...

Last edited:

hockeylegend11

Sep 11, 2010
His points are slightly better, but like I said that's not what defines Ekblad's game. I actually like Koekkoek, but what is he, a career minus 400? He also has trouble staying healthy - this is the second career ending injury he's had in two years.

That's an exageration by the way. I don't need you to go researching to discover that he's actually a career minus 60. I realize that he played on a crap team, but minus 60? Your castoff Trojanovic has managed a -24 since he joined the Petes (roughly the same period of time) and was even a +1 in his first season (27 games) with them. This year Slater was a - 26 with the Petes (the worst of all Petes D) while Devlin was a +10 and Trojanovic a -10.

The biggest addition to the 15 win Colts from 2010-2011 who improved to win 40 in 11-12 was a 15/16 year old Aaron Ekblad. By Memorial Cup time next year he'll be 18. Look out.

P.S. - Tampa's defence is pretty bad you know. They feature the likes of Keith Aulie and Brian Lee in their top six on a regular basis. Might be they figure they could use Slater next year...at least for the 10 game tryout...

Koekkeok was picked in the 1st rd for a resaon,high minus figures on a bad team
is misleading,Connor Brown was a -71 last yr does it make him a bad player,no he was picked in the draft,and last i looked was a -10,does that mean he all of a sudden became a defensive gem
Koekkoek in the 2 games he played was a +2 here in Windsor and was outstanding,his presence was noticeable,his steady play helped guys like Bateman,in Peterborough he was playing top 3 minutes,and top 2 minutes when he was only 17 years,Trojanovic did not have that the ice time ,important ice time,so big difference,same with Devlin
Dont get mesmerized by plus/minus very subjective and situational
As for Tbay my guess his last 2 years he has not played enough because of injury,unless he stands out he will play the full year here

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad