Prospect Info: 2014 Habs Board Prospect Rankings #8

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Jarred Tinordi
3. Jacob De La Rose
4. Nikita Scherbak
5. Sven Andrighetto
6. Arturri Lehkonen (interchangeable w/ Andrighetto imo)
7. Zachary Fucale
8. Magnus Nygren
9. Jiri Sekac (i would personally have him #10 because i dont know how he plays, but he deserves to be in our top 10 if he's an NHL ready prospect w/ top 6 upside)
10. Greg Pateryn

If we're gonna vote for guys like McCaron just because hes ****ing big and was drafted in the 1st round then maybe we should skip the voting all together next time. He needs to show us some potential before we start overhyping him, I'm not saying that hes not gonna turn into a solid NHL'er but up until now he hasn't shown much potential whereas our other prospects have.

edit: And i dont really consider Tokarski a prospect anymore because of his age.

This is also pretty much my list except I have De La Rose and Scherbak tied and I have Reway up there with Lehkonen and Andrighetto. Yes, I even have him ahead of Fucale and Nygren. Despite Reway's small size, he has a killer instinct, a succeed at all costs mentality, to go with loads of talent. Nygren's looked soft to me in the few times I've seen him play. And as for Fucale, it's hard to be an above average no. 1 goalie in the NHL and even harder to predict who will become one.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
This is also pretty much my list except I have De La Rose and Scherbak tied and I have Reway up there with Lehkonen and Andrighetto. Yes, I even have him ahead of Fucale and Nygren. Despite Reway's small size, he has a killer instinct, a succeed at all costs mentality, to go with loads of talent. Nygren's looked soft to me in the few times I've seen him play. And as for Fucale, it's hard to be an above average no. 1 goalie in the NHL and even harder to predict who will become one.

you can make arguments for both Reway and Pateryn to be in the top 10, i just went with Pateryn because hes already NHL ready imo

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Guys, I don't care what anyone says, that's a pretty damn good prospect pool the Habs have there.

What happens when we keep our picks. Timmins has an eye for finding diamonds in the rough. Can't always do it but he is better than average scout. Before we wasted so many picks, 2 picks for Mathieu Schnedier, Tanguay, 1 thrown away on Lang, Sopel, to name a few. Out of those 8-10 wasted picks we would have 2-3 more good NHLers now.

Grant McCagg

@duhduhduh
Dec 13, 2010
1. Nathan Beaulieu
2. Jarred Tinordi
3. Jacob De La Rose
4. Nikita Scherbak
5. Sven Andrighetto
6. Arturri Lehkonen (interchangeable w/ Andrighetto imo)
7. Zachary Fucale
8. Magnus Nygren
9. Jiri Sekac (i would personally have him #10 because i dont know how he plays, but he deserves to be in our top 10 if he's an NHL ready prospect w/ top 6 upside)
10/11. Greg Pateryn/Martin Reway (depends if youre going w/ upside/skill or the NHL ready prospect)
12/13. Mike McCaron/Charles Hudon (interchangeable because we still need to evaluate them more)

If we're gonna vote for guys like McCaron just because hes ****ing big and was drafted in the 1st round then maybe we should skip the voting all together next time. He needs to show us some potential before we start overhyping him, I'm not saying that hes not gonna turn into a solid NHL'er but up until now he hasn't shown much potential whereas our other prospects have.

edit: And i dont really consider Tokarski a prospect anymore because of his age.

Sekac...a player you've never seen play in your life... ahead of McCarron.....even worse..Reway. Just because he scored a few points in the Q and had a couple of points in early U-20 games on a team where he was played 30 minutes a game.. Yes..size does matter in the NHL...check out how many players there are under 5-9 in the league soem day....not a very large percentage.

The number of folks on here that place complete emphasis on a players' point totals is a joke. You cannot win hockey games with four lines of undersized offensive players....

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Sekac...a player you've never seen play in your life... ahead of McCarron.....even worse..Reway. Just because he scored a few points in the Q and had a couple of points in early U-20 games on a team where he was played 30 minutes a game.. Yes..size does matter in the NHL...check out how many players there are under 5-9 in the league soem day....not a very large percentage.

The number of folks on here that place complete emphasis on a players' point totals is a joke. You cannot win hockey games with four lines of undersized offensive players....

We are not voting for the team here, we are comparing prospects value. Reway showed more promise than McCarron no matter what you say. I'm 100% positive he's going to end up on the team, but where is what worries me.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal

I ranked them by how close they were to the NHL and their overall upside, im not just factoring in their offensive upside. Which is why DLR is #3 and Pateryn is in my top 10.

I've never seen Sekac play but like i said he was signed to play in the NHL. It's a no brainer to have an NHL ready prospect who's been playing against much tougher competition than McCaron ranked higher than him, especially after the season he just had.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
1. Jarred Tinordi (almost graduated? we've needed a 6'7 dman like Tinordi since a long long time...)
2. Nikita Scherbak (value is UP there...imo no Russian+KHL factor here, so...value will keep blooming).
3. Nathan Beaulieu (not far from graduating? 30 more AHL games?)
4. Sven Andrighetto
5. Jacob De La Rose (needs 1 yr in AHL?)
6. Arturri Lehkonen
7a) Dustin Tokarski (graduated? if up to me...yes!)
7b) Zachary Fucale
8. Jiri Sekac (could move into top 5 as soon as we see him play in a Hab jersey!)
9. Mike McCarron...imo he'll have similar development (time) to J.Tinordi, so...patience is needed, imo.
10. Charles Hudon (if he can stay healthy...could be a really good one)
11. Magnus Nygren
12. Greg Pateryn
13. Martin Reway
14. Morgan Ellis/Dalton Thrower?

Graduated (or almost):
Tinordi
Tokarski
Beaulieu

P.S.: I like Beaulieu's potential (smooth skating, PP skills/potential,etc) but maybe not a huge huge fan like many Hab fans...I'm more of a huge huge Tinordi fan (we really really need 6'7 Tinordi to become that dman we've needed for a long time now).

P.S. II: does anyone know when ROOKIE/PROSPECTS' CAMP will start? Brossard or west-island? Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

InglewoodJack

Jun 10, 2009
Châteauguay
I dont understand all those who are voting for Tokarski.

Almost 25 years old and career backup...

He's got an exactly 100% chance of having a better NHL career than just about all of our prospects. How many of these players do you think will make the bigs, and make an impact? Go look at all the past polls, and very few prospects pas 10 or 15 make any significant impact. Hell, since I started posting here (2009), we've had a handful of prospects actually make an impact on the team while the rest have either been spare parts, or are out of the system (or career bulldogs). These players are called prospects, because the team is betting on the prospect of them becoming players that help us win the game. Tokarski's not only shown that, but he's got the resumé to back it up. Sure the career backup tag isn't sexy (personally, I see him as a weak team's starter/contender's back up a la Biron or Aebischer back in the day), but back up goalies are way more valuable than most of these guys are going to be any day.

I know that some guys like valuing the high risk/high reward picks (I too was huge on Alex Avtsin when we drafted him, but deep down we all knew he wasn't the next OV), but I believe that for the percentage of prospects who actually make it to the NHL, and the percentage of NHLers who are actually impactful players, we need to start valuing the sure shots more than we value the guys who have a low (say 25-30% chance) of making an impact, even if that impact is poised to be huge.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
About Tokarski and why are Hab fans voting for him,etc...

Imo, it's also about VALUE...what other GMs want from us or may want from us (interest)...imo if more GMs are interested in such and such Hab rookie/prospect...the higher his value on this list that we're making!! (imo or imho!).

Tokarski should be UP there, imo.
(but...he may have graduated already...).

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00