2014 Draft Thread – Part Four

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Buffalo Warlord

Jul 12, 2013
If the Islanders give up there pick this draft I hope it's Dal Colle. Reinhart/Bennett and Dal Colle is a nice draft for us

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
Reinhart with no points his last 2 games. Seems like he is still playing good but others on his team are stepping up from listening to the games. Series is tied 1-1.

EichHart

Jul 3, 2011
Hamburg, NY
If the Islanders give up there pick this draft I hope it's Dal Colle. Reinhart/Bennett and Dal Colle is a nice draft for us

MDC is the perfect compliment to JT. If he is there I doubt they pass on him. I have had him as the 3rd best forward in this draft for quite awhile. His shot is incredible, reminds me of a JVR/Bobby Ryan clone.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Honestly, the only place I hear about this being a two horse race anymore is on here.

Way I see things(from most scouting reports)

Tier 1: Reinhart, Eklbad
Tier 2: Bennett
Tier 3: Draisaitl
Teir 4: Dal Colle

Basically there is a chance somebody in the lower tier might be higher then the guy(s) the tier above them on some peoples list but chances are they won't jump 2 tiers.

Paxon

202? Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
MDC is the perfect compliment to JT. If he is there I doubt they pass on him. I have had him as the 3rd best forward in this draft for quite awhile. His shot is incredible, reminds me of a JVR/Bobby Ryan clone.

They won't know whether he'll be there or not when they make the decision whether or not to give up the pick

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
They won't know whether he'll be there or not when they make the decision whether or not to give up the pick

If Islander pick 4th and he is not there, bonus(means one of Bennett, Ekblad or Reinhart are left on the board), as for 5th then not so good unless they high on both Draistaitl and Dal Colle(as an Islanders fan I am leaning slightly towards Dal Colle)

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
If Islander pick 4th and he is not there, bonus(means one of Bennett, Ekblad or Reinhart are left on the board), as for 5th then not so good unless they high on both Draistaitl and Dal Colle(as an Islanders fan I am leaning slightly towards Dal Colle)

You're an islanders fan?

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Way I see things(from most scouting reports)

Tier 1: Reinhart, Eklbad
Tier 2: Bennett
Tier 3: Draisaitl
Teir 4: Dal Colle

Basically there is a chance somebody in the lower tier might be higher then the guy(s) the tier above them on some peoples list but chances are they won't jump 2 tiers.

I don't think Scouts can count that high to have a tier every one and a quarter players.

brian_griffin

"Eric Cartman?"
May 10, 2007
In the Panderverse
Kids offensive talent is just something you don't see very often, his hands are just unbelievable. The team that drafts him could be getting a grand slam, not very often does a tool set like his not translate to the NHL in some fashion. And before you mention Schremp remember that Ho-Sang can skate circles around him.

Michael Dal Colle, no one in this draft can score goals like him.

Roland McKeown, I believe he is the 2nd best D in the draft.

This guy https://www.youtube.com/user/bigwhite06 makes phenomenal video's.

I don't follow juniors as close as most of you here do, which is why I read this thread. Granted, one can make highlight clips to show anything you wish to show, but boy, Josh Ho-Sang's puck skills are really slick. The three things I like most about that clip is:
1) the puck just hangs on his stick. It's just glued on it.
2) He can set up others from behind the net or the corners, he's not an only-attack-moving-forward player.
3) (most important to me) He goes to the net, in traffic, whether with or without the puck. He finds open space to manoever.

He's a January '96, so older than Bennett and Dal Colle (who share same exact birthday), younger than Reinhart & Draisaitl.

A nice pickup with the Blues pick if it transfers to BUF this year, but BUF would need the Blues to get bounced early, as I don't see him lasting til a late first round.

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey
@SeanLafortune

NHL Central Scouting announces that it will be releasing its final set of rankings for the 2014 #NHLDraft. Look for it tomorrow at 11AM

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
I don't follow juniors as close as most of you here do, which is why I read this thread. Granted, one can make highlight clips to show anything you wish to show, but boy, Josh Ho-Sang's puck skills are really slick. The three things I like most about that clip is:
1) the puck just hangs on his stick. It's just glued on it.
2) He can set up others from behind the net or the corners, he's not an only-attack-moving-forward player.
3) (most important to me) He goes to the net, in traffic, whether with or without the puck. He finds open space to manoever.

He's a January '96, so older than Bennett and Dal Colle (who share same exact birthday), younger than Reinhart & Draisaitl.

A nice pickup with the Blues pick if it transfers to BUF this year, but BUF would need the Blues to get bounced early, as I don't see him lasting til a late first round.
You've summed him up nicely, and I agree with the positives you listed, but I think he's the prototype of someone whose highlight reel clips can be highly misleading (in other words, those reels are always misleading, but it's especially true for Ho-Sang), which you suggested. I admit I haven't seen him play live this season (just on TV), and I'm told his stock has risen this year, but I saw him last year and he makes me nervous. I would only take him in the late first round, and like you said, at this point he may not last that long. I'll defer to our brethren on here who have seen him more recently, but my take was he's a very dynamic, skilled player, but one who will disappear for stretches and isn't very impactful when he's not scoring. I don't know, there's something more there that makes me nervous and I can't put my finger on it (not very helpful, I admit). But the skill is there, and the other things can be taught, theoretically, so at the right slot I'd pick him. I did say "wow" a few times when I watched him last year, and I don't do that very often.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Is Ho Sang really projected to go past 20?

I would consider trading up from the Blues pick if he was available in the mid-first. The one thing I really like about him is his ability to make plays at top speeds. A lot of guys have trouble adjusting to the speed of the NHL game. I don't see that being an issue for him.

Ethan Edwards

Oct 30, 2013
PA
Is Ho Sang really projected to go past 20?
About nine months ago, yes. If memory serves, he was a late 1st/early 2nd projection, but even then there was a lot of movement and disagreement about him. He's a bit of an enigma, or was, because now I believe he's looking like a mid-1st rounder, or even slightly better. The skill is definitely there, as you mentioned.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
@RealKyper

Hearing top eligible #NHL prospect /#Spitfires Josh Ho- Sang has been suspended by #OHL 15 games.

And the OHL goes completely overboard again, if Hall doesn't suffer a broken leg from bad luck then it's not even a suspension.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
Ho-Sang has been all over the place as far as where he's been projected to go. Last year around this time he was considered a top 10 prospect in this draft, then people poked holes in his game and said he was too selfish with the puck. This year he's been much better at using his teammates and Boughner has had a lot praise for his game in general. He's back in that mid-first round conversation for most people. Watch out for the maple leafs, who I could definitely see drafting him, local boy, super talented and they've likely been following him most of his amateur career. Overall I'm a huge fan of this kid, been pimping him since last year. Absolutely dynamic offensive talent, super high end skating and stick handling ability as demonstrated in that video. This kid will absolutely be a top 6 forward at the nhl level, maybe even a top liner. His defensive game needs work, but he seems like a hard-working kid who's fairly coachable so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Ho-Sang has been all over the place as far as where he's been projected to go. Last year around this time he was considered a top 10 prospect in this draft, then people poked holes in his game and said he was too selfish with the puck. This year he's been much better at using his teammates and Boughner has had a lot praise for his game in general. He's back in that mid-first round conversation for most people. Watch out for the maple leafs, who I could definitely see drafting him, local boy, super talented and they've likely been following him most of his amateur career. Overall I'm a huge fan of this kid, been pimping him since last year. Absolutely dynamic offensive talent, super high end skating and stick handling ability as demonstrated in that video. This kid will absolutely be a top 6 forward at the nhl level, maybe even a top liner. His defensive game needs work, but he seems like a hard-working kid who's fairly coachable so I wouldn't be too worried about it.

That would be my criteria: how coachable is this guy. If he's someone you can really see taking direction to heart and working hard on his consistency, his 200 foot game, and his distribution skills, I think you have to be very fond of his speed and skill with the puck. If you think he's Max Afinogenov, hard pass. I think this kid's position is going to be made on his interviews and talking to his coaches.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010

I saw him a month ago in Erie. Was so unimpressed by his effort it was a complete turnoff. He had maybe 2 decent shifts the entire game. Sure, you saw talent then, but he was lazy in his own zone and floated a ton IMO.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
That would be my criteria: how coachable is this guy. If he's someone you can really see taking direction to heart and working hard on his consistency, his 200 foot game, and his distribution skills, I think you have to be very fond of his speed and skill with the puck. If you think he's Max Afinogenov, hard pass. I think this kid's position is going to be made on his interviews and talking to his coaches.

Yeah I think his interviews will be very important to his draft stock. Worst case I still think he ends up a better player than Afinogenov. I certainly see the parallels though (supposed selfishness, super talented with the puck).
Disappointed to see him get that harsh of a punishment. I didn't like the shove he gave Bell, but he was battling for the puck, and there wasn't any intent to injury there.

Fotes18

Sep 7, 2010
Headed to Erie soon for Sault Ste. Marie vs Erie Game 3. Gonna get a good look at McCann, Bunting, and Jenkins.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
Wow. Am I blind or was there nothing wrong with that play?

It was a check from behind in any event, and I think common sense should have told him it was his opponent was vulnerable there, charging towards the wall.

I think 15 games was overboard, but I won't defend that play so far as to say nothing was wrong. It doesn't make him a dirty player, but that was at least quite careless.

is the answer jesus

Mar 10, 2008
Tonawanda, NY
I saw him a month ago in Erie. Was so unimpressed by his effort it was a complete turnoff. He had maybe 2 decent shifts the entire game. Sure, you saw talent then, but he was lazy in his own zone and floated a ton IMO.

Yeah he's gonna have to be ridden hard to bust his ass and start playing better defense. It's really by far his biggest deficiency. I can see why people dislike him. There are games like you described where he's a non-factor and then there are games where he's all over the ice getting and creating scoring chance after scoring chance. Very polarizing player.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada

I am not a huge Ho-Sang fan at all, I just realise we need to get some guys in our organization that have a high skill level.

If the game you are talking about was march 7th then of course he didn't look good, his team couldn't even touch the puck in a 6-1 romping where the were outshot 41-17 and were never even close to being in the game. One thing i've learned about junior hockey is you never overrate a kid who has a good performance against a bad team, and you never dislike a player based off a small sample size of a player who has a bad game against a good team. Erie is far to good for Windsor to compete with them.

Not to mention they played the night before in Windsor and got blown out, and got blown out again the night before.

Ho-Sang is the definition of a Detroit Red Wings type of pick, take a guy with unreal skill level with obvious deficiencies and give him time to work on his game. Even prospect has deficiencies when you are talking about after the first few picks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad