Injury Report: 2014/15 Hurricanes Injury Thread (was Jeff Skinner Concussion Thread)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
I agree that talk of retirement or any other such measures at this point are likely not even being considered by Jeff. There are a LOT of things we don't know about his medical history and never will. We don't know how much time he has missed in a precautionary capacity and we don't know how much quality of life these injuries have taken from him. I have never heard him talk in a public forum about his experience the way we have with others like Marc Savard and Patrice Bergeron. David Tanabe. Chris Pronger. There are certainly more and less severe concussions than others from a quality of life standpoint. If Jeff is having the types of concussions where he basically has to stay in total darkness and isolation for a few months before he starts feeling normal, then it's a serious consideration that he needs to make to ensure his future health. If he's having concussions that are markedly less devastating and are causing minor discomfort and annoyance more than anything that seems neurologically imposing then.... perhaps we're putting this all out of proportion. The only guy who can answer that question is Skinner and he hasn't talked about it.

What I am sure about is that all professional athletes that suffer concussions now are going to treat them seriously and that's a great thing. They have access to the best neurologists in the world and they're utilizing those resources and rehabbing these injuries in the best way possible to moderate the long term impact. I trust that the new protocols put into place, while frustrating for fans and players at times, will drastically improve long term player health. It's a point of emphasis now as it should be.

With that said, there is an assumption of risk in this line of work. In every contact sport where the outcomes are calculated in the tens of millions if not hundreds of millions. I'm sure there are exactly zero players in the league that haven't been given a proper education by their family members, the organization, coaches, trainers, and doctors about the risks that they're undertaking when they suffer a brain injury. It's an element of the game that we don't like and if we could wish away we all would, but it's built into the game almost irrevocably. Speed is the primary culprit in my opinion. That's why I feel like MMA fighters are much safer in their relative sport than hockey players. In MMA if you lose consciousness by a blow, it's a more "natural" injury. The whiplash effect isn't as pronounced as it is when a player has blades attached to his feet and is skating however many miles an hour and then basically hits a brick wall. The reason that I don't apply the same logic to boxing is that to a large degree I feel that boxing is more dangerous. Fighters sustain concussions in sparring and hardly give it a second thought. You have these massive gloves that blunt the impact but are so repetitious that a single fight can see a guy take a few hundred impacts. Not quite enough to knock you unconscious, but enough to batter your brain around in your head off all walls. I suspect that a hundred micro-concussions are more dangerous to your long term health than a tremendous blow that knocks you out but only occurs once. There are so many guys who get out of the MMA game and are cogent and well-spoken even compared to their NFL counterparts. Plus, if a fighter is knocked out he is forbidden from fighting by the commissions I believe for three to six months, concussion or no concussion. It's an interesting dimension.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Wally, I've been with you for most of this discussion in that talks of retiring, taking the year off, etc.. are over the top. But using boxers as a poster child for how to deal with head trauma is a bit much. Most of those guys who stick around for a while can barely talk coherently in their 40s.

Right. But it takes decades of relentless pounding to the head and concussions, and continuing to fight after getting concussed.

I think what we saw with Probert that scared everyone, was a guy who bareknuckle brawled 50 times a year in a time where a bit of dizzyness meant you rubbed some dirt on it, and got back out there for the rematch.

He is far from a representation of an average hockey player, but he's the guy everyone is thinking of when they talk about the brain being permanently damaged.

Cameron Diaz

Nov 19, 2013
the sky is not falling canes fans. I bet ya Jeff Skinner is back within 3-5 games. All this talk of retirement is a bit of a stretch. Just be patient with Skinner, he'll be back

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
the sky is not falling canes fans. I bet ya Jeff Skinner is back within 3-5 games. All this talk of retirement is a bit of a stretch. Just be patient with Skinner, he'll be back

they haven't put him on the ir yet, so I'm hoping that it's not that bad.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC

Thanks Skins. Hope you have a great season. We're counting on you being healthy for many years to come, so take care of yourself.

--hank

chuck1984

Jan 13, 2012
Should I drop Doan for him in fantasy hockey? Someone had him and dropped him so he's on the waiver now... I have Doan as an extra player anyways so it's not like I really need him.

PorkFlavoredTobacco

Oct 19, 2013
There was a discussion Wednesday (from a reasonably reliable source) that he would be back on the bike Thursday or Friday and be back in 7-10 days. I have not heard anything to validate that that has happened, but we shall see.

I don't have a schedule in front of me, so I don't know what game that puts us at, but that would be around next weekend/early in the following week.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
If Skinner comes back and doesn't wear a full cage, he's an idiot

I've played hockey for 30+ years and the only time I've even seen a guy get hit on the jaw and get a concussion was from wearing 1.) No Visor 2.) Half Visor.

he's already concussion prone, there's no reason not to wear it.....

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC

I've played hockey for 30+ years and the only time I've even seen a guy get hit on the jaw and get a concussion was from wearing 1.) No Visor 2.) Half Visor.

Aren't those only allowed for players who are recovering for facial injuries?

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Except the NHL rules. Rule 9.6.

9.6 Dangerous Equipment - The use of pads or protectors made of metal, or of any other material likely to cause injury to a player, is prohibited. Referees have the authority to prohibit any equipment they feel may cause injury to any participants in the game. Failure to comply to the Referees’ instructions shall result in the assessment of a minor penalty for delay of game.
A mask or protector of a design approved by the League may be worn by a player who has sustained a facial injury.
In the first instance, the injured player shall be entitled to wear any protective device prescribed by the Club doctor. If any opposing Club objects to the device, it may record its objection with the Commissioner.

Now, I guess the Canes / Canes DR. could argue that it's required, but I'm not sure a concussion falls under the category of "facial injury" so don't think he'd get away with it.

Drivebytrucker

Jan 8, 2011
Except the NHL rules. Rule 9.6.

Now, I guess the Canes / Canes DR. could argue that it's required, but I'm not sure a concussion falls under the category of "facial injury" so don't think he'd get away with it.

Wow, thanks for that link. I had no idea there would be a rule like that in the NHL. It seems weird that you'd have to have a facial injury to wear a cage.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Wow, thanks for that link. I had no idea there would be a rule like that in the NHL. It seems weird that you'd have to have a facial injury to wear a cage.

I agree, seems like a strange rule to me, especially because kids where them in youth hockey and even college so it's not some foreign concept.

Knowing the NHL and how it's a business, my guess is it more has to do with the NHL wanting fans to see the faces of the players vs. worried about safety when a guy has a full shield.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
The day will come when cages are required for all players in the NHL- I'm not sure what kind of catalyst it will take for it to happen but it will happen before too long. They're mandatory at every level except the NHL, where they're not allowed.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The day will come when cages are required for all players in the NHL- I'm not sure what kind of catalyst it will take for it to happen but it will happen before too long. They're mandatory at every level except the NHL, where they're not allowed.

I don't believe they aren't mandatory at the Canadian Jr. Level or leagues like the SEL so it's not every level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad