2013-14 Free Agent, Trades, Proposals, and other Nonsense

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I hope it doesn't but it shows how much confidence I currently have in this organization, this is there MO has been for the last 20 years give up youth for help now, would not surprise me at all to see something similar to this should the Sharks want to move Thornton.

Well I 100% understand where you are coming from on the "premise" of that trade.

We will just have to wait and see what shanny is thinking.

Frankly I'm not holding my breath , he will probably fall inline like all those other GMs we have had.

"playoffs now"

that's what the owners want, that is the mandate that has to be attempted by the underlings.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
But that's the point... for 3rds, 4ths and 5ths there wasn't enough incentive to mail in the season in the eyes of Nonis & Co. I don't like it now, but I can't say I don't see where they were coming from.

Well that is where you and I differ, I never for a second believed it would have been "mailing it in".

I had argued that if this myth of playoff exp holds tangible meaning, then I wanted it to go to Marlies that are still going to be here, not these UFAs.

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
Well that is where you and I differ, I never for a second believed it would have been "mailing it in".

I had argued that if this myth of playoff exp holds tangible meaning, then I wanted it to go to Marlies that are still going to be here, not these UFAs.

Hey I'm not even saying I disagree with you. I'm simply saying that management clearly thought so, and I can understand why they would think that. The team was a house of cards for most of the season sitting on the shaky foundations of luck, a red-hot top line, and all-star caliber goaltending. When one of those cards folded even slightly, the whole thing came down.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Just curious, but would you guys do Lupul for Brent Burns?

Both same age and similar salaries. Lupul has 3 years left, Burns has 4.

Just throwing it out there. Not sure if SJ would do it but I can't see them dealing Thronton/Marleau/Couture/Pavelski so I think Burns MAY be the most tradeable (out of this group).

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
Hey I'm not even saying I disagree with you. I'm simply saying that management clearly thought so, and I can understand why they would think that. The team was a house of cards for most of the season sitting on the shaky foundations of luck, a red-hot top line, and all-star caliber goaltending. When one of those cards folded even slightly, the whole thing came down.

You have to believe DN knew this as well. Whatever confidence he had in this team in the offseason when making the Bolland trade and the acquiring of Clarkson couldn't have been there at the trade deadline, despite their record and spot in the standings. If he genuinely believed that we had a contender, maybe he would have pushed harder for a Gaborik type. The fact that he didn't, didn't do anything for that matter, shows that he knew what he truly had. In that case, he should have put his pride aside and traded one or all of his pending UFA's.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York

Just throwing it out there. Not sure if SJ would do it but I can't see them dealing Thronton/Marleau/Couture/Pavelski so I think Burns MAY be the most tradeable (out of this group).

For what position?

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
For what position?

The answer is yes regardless.

namttebih said:
You have to believe DN knew this as well. Whatever confidence he had in this team in the offseason when making the Bolland trade and the acquiring of Clarkson couldn't have been there at the trade deadline, despite their record and spot in the standings. If he genuinely believed that we had a contender, maybe he would have pushed harder for a Gaborik type. The fact that he didn't, didn't do anything for that matter, shows that he knew what he truly had. In that case, he should have put his pride aside and traded one or all of his pending UFA's.

Contender? Unlikely, but playoff capable? Probably very likely. I still agree though, I was genuinely expecting at least 2 players to get traded.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
I actually had the most horrible of dreams last night!

We traded our 8th + Bozak to the Islanders for their 5th pick and Thomas Kopecky (Yes i.k he plays for Florida i dont know what the **** i was thinking) and Future Considerations

Then drafted some no name prospect :cry: !
:laugh:

Shanahan just dont **** up this offseason please

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
The answer is yes regardless.

Contender? Unlikely, but playoff capable? Probably very likely. I still agree though, I was genuinely expecting at least 2 players to get traded.
Has he played any defence over the last couple of years?

In the East being playoff capable makes you a contender to at least make it to the finals. But DN didn't think that we were even that.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004

we would, but, they wouldnt

FifthLine

@AHartScout
Jul 2, 2011
toronto
+1. Would be a smart signing IMO.

It would. We would add 3 things we are lacking: veteran presence/leadership, top 4 D, right handed shot.

I think he would be fantastic with phaneuf, much like how phaneuf played in CGY with aucoin.

Dion - Boyle
Gunnar - Gardiner
Rielly - Granberg/Gleason

dubplatepressure

Jul 10, 2007
“No one is untradeable,” Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment president and CEO Tim Leiweke told Tim and Sid on Sportsnet 590 The Fan Wednesday. “There are decisions coming soon…We will not lack in our ability to make tough decisions around here. I promise you.”

Waiting...

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
From what I've seen and heard from Sharks fans, Boyle is a shadow of his old self. I'm not sure how capable he would actually be in that position anymore.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
From what I've seen and heard from Sharks fans, Boyle is a shadow of his old self. I'm not sure how capable he would actually be in that position anymore.

I'd want him as a pure veteran and depth defender, not as a top defender. Basically replacing Franson if we can get value for him. Boyle can take over the 2nd PP and play with someone like Granberg or Gleason on the bottom pairing.

With that said, Boyle probably doesn't want that role on a bubble team.

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
I'm a fan of Strålman in NYR. I see it as doubtful that he wants another try in Toronto, but I think he is kind of a hidden gem like Martinez in LA. Gets his shot through a lot, is smart and makes few mistakes. If he could be had for a decent amount of money, I'd like to see him on our second pairing. Could be moved later on if Percy/Finn can replace him.

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
Phaneuf is making slighly more than Boyle, and will be younger at the end of his "horrible" contract than Boyle is now.

As guys start going out the wrong end of their physical peaks, they have to rely on their instincts and intelligence more. Dion Phaneuf is not going to age well.... everyone sees that, right?

See, if I hated a player on the Leafs and thought he was really overrated, I'd be happy he was overrated cause it could lead to a good return... but then some people think suggesting horrible trades for said hated player gives him his "deserved" punishment.

I hope there are some other GMs out there that are as incompetent as Dave Nonis, but I'm not expecting it.

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
I'm hoping we can capitalize on SJ imploding. Maybe they'll have interest in Phaneuf or Kessel. Wilson has to be thinking that his team's window is closing in a couple of years.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
I'm hoping we can capitalize on SJ imploding. Maybe they'll have interest in Phaneuf or Kessel. Wilson has to be thinking that his team's window is closing in a couple of years.

more of a shift from Thornton/Malreau to Couture/Pav

they'll need to replace boyle but still have other key pieces like Hertl, Vlasic, Burns,

If they moved anyone and wanted to shake things up I'd think it would be Thornton

something around Phanuef for Thornton?

Phanuef, Lupul, prospect for Thornton and Havlat (cap dump)

Sep 14, 2009
Guelph
more of a shift from Thornton/Malreau to Couture/Pav

they'll need to replace boyle but still have other key pieces like Hertl, Vlasic, Burns,

If they moved anyone and wanted to shake things up I'd think it would be Thornton

something around Phanuef for Thorntonl?

Doubt it. Marleau has been their best player in the playoffs. Though Thornton I could see. Leafs don't do that deal though I don't think. I would imagine if Phaneuf gets traded it's for someone who is younger.

Ideally you do a Kessel for Couture swap. Unfortunately I don't think that's going to happen.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County

A deal around Kessel and Couture would be intriguing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad