2003 vs 2015 draft rosters

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Which roster do you take?

Votes: 108 60.0%

Votes: 72 40.0%

• Total voters

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
2003 draft often cited as the best/deepest of all time. There was an entire era of hockey that was heavily defined by this draft. That said, a lot of careers that started off strong and had HOF trajectory fell off and, as such, there won't be as many HOF'ers as initially thought. This draft also might start to look less strong in retrospect as newer generations forget how good guys like Mike Richards, Dion Phaneuf, Shea Weber, Jeff Carter, Eric Staal etc really were since they don't have eye-popping numbers or individual hardware.

2015 just keeps getting better and better and I think may end up with more HOF'ers although less depth.

2003:

Vanek - Getzlaf - Perry
Parise - Bergeron - Carter
Pavelski - Richards - Brown
Staal - Kesler - Backes
Eriksson

Suter - Weber
Seabrook - Phaneuf
Methot - Byfuglien
Enstrom

Fleury
Crawford

2015:

Kaprizov - McDavid - Marner
Connor - Aho - Rantanen
Hintz - Eichel - Barzal
Boeser - Eriksson Ek - Konecny
Meier

Hanifin - Werenski
Provorov - Dunn
Andersson - Chabot
Carlo

Hill
Montembeault

EDIT: Totally meant to have Brent Burns on the '03 team but I won't edit the team now.

Last edited:

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I think 2003 is a better team. 2015 has McDavid, probably similar stars after McDavid and I’d argue they have better depth in terms of players not on these rosters, but I like the balance of 2003 as a team better.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
2003 better goalies right off the hop.

Plus their D had burns.

Up front 2015 more dynamic. 2003 more straight ahead guys. D and G go with 3003.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
2003 better goalies right off the hop.

Plus their D had burns.

Up front 2015 more dynamic. 2003 more straight ahead guys. D and G go with 3003.
Totally meant to have him on the team and forgot. Huge oversight. I don't want to edit the roster now though have 30+ ppl have voted.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Incredible how loaded those drafts were.

I think the answer is really era dependent. 2003 is stronger defensively and in net, while 2015 is much more dynamic with better PMDs.

If this was for the ~2012 era of play, 2003 is probably the stronger roster as I think they'd fit that style of play better. But if it we're talking about today's era, I might take 2015, as that 2003 roster might be a bit too slow and lacks the star power of 2015.

Having Jack Eichel as your 3C is pretty nutty.

I would recommend a few tweaks, like Meier over Boeser and Carlo over Chabot.

Reactions: Love

Bileur

Jun 15, 2004
Ottawa
Incredible how loaded those drafts were.

I think the answer is really era dependent. 2003 is stronger defensively and in net, while 2015 is much more dynamic with better PMDs.

If this was for the ~2012 era of play, 2003 is probably the stronger roster as I think they'd fit that style of play better. But if it we're talking about today's era, I might take 2015, as that 2003 roster might be a bit too slow and lacks the star power of 2015.

Having Jack Eichel as your 3C is pretty nutty.

I would recommend a few tweaks, like Meier over Boeser and Carlo over Chabot.
That is pretty wild but having two selke winners and two other selke finalists gives you a lot of tools to shut that down lol.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
2003 just because 2015's defense would get bullied

2015's offense is way way better, but their defense holds them back

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
03 and 15 are a tier or two above the rest.

Agreed vs 2008 and 2005 but not sure vs 2020... give it a few years

Stutzle, Raymond, Lafreniere, Jarvis, Byfield, Sanderson, Faber, Mercer, Lundell, Peterka, Perfetti, Zary, Rossi, Quinn, Neighbours, Drysdale, Evangelista, Schneider, Lohrei, Guhle, Foerster, Greig, Holtz, Lapierre, Barron, Reichel, Askarov, Levi, Daws, Mukhamadullin, Kleven, Wallinder, Brisson, Ponomarev, Colangelo, etc

I see A LOT of talent

Last edited:

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
03 squashes them…

-Any four of those centers would have no problem at the very least slowing McDavid down

-LOL at Marner trying to play against any of these guys without pooping his pants too

-Prime Perry and Getzlaf would be a lot for them to deal with

-I’d have Crawford starting over Fleury

-Eric Staal put up 100 points in 06, his talent level is often forgotten

-Finally I think the D core is no contest especially swapping Burns in for Phaneuf or Methot. The 2015 D core is severely lacking. Suter and Weber were one of the single best D pairings we’ve seen in the league ever

Era and yada yada yada but this 03 team would manhandle the 2015 squad. The 2015 guys would be quicker in transition no doubt but I don’t think they’d have the puck very much.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Obviosly lacks the depth of the other 2 right now but 2017 Looks like it could end up in this conversation,

Hischier, Pettersson, Suzuki, Robertson, Batherson, Necas, Norris, Thomas, Frost, Mittelstadt, Tippett, Tovanen, Texier and Chytil,

Makar, Heiskanen, Hague, Liljegren, Ferraro, Anderson, Sandberg, Lindstrom and PO Joseph

Oettinger and Swayman

Probably forgetting a bunch of people as well.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Such different classes. Barring a few exceptions, 2003 is a bunch of hard-to-play-against types, from defensemen to forwards. 2015, especially forwards, is just insanely talented.

"Which roster do you take" is a very broad question. I'll answer "Which fully healthy, players at peak performance, roster do you take for a best of 7?"

I personally think that the 2015 roster would be incredibly hard to beat, but 2003 is like... the ultimate counter to them. So 2003, by a hair, because Mcdavid is that good.

Imo, the big difference is that 2003 can choke out 2015, and exploit their "weak" D and goalies. 2003 is all about firepower. But tie Bergeron to McDavid's hip, get a guy like Getzlaf on Aho, a Brown on Rantanen, with guys like Suter, Weber, Buf, Seabrook on the back end is just nuts. Throw Burns in the mix and the PP is ultra-potent too.

not too worried about guys like Marner, Kaprizov, Connor, Barzal in the playoffs, in that type of scenario.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
2003 draft often cited as the best/deepest of all time. There was an entire era of hockey that was heavily defined by this draft. That said, a lot of careers that started off strong and had HOF trajectory fell off and, as such, there won't be as many HOF'ers as initially thought. This draft also might start to look less strong in retrospect as newer generations forget how good guys like Mike Richards, Dion Phaneuf, Shea Weber, Jeff Carter, Eric Staal etc really were since they don't have eye-popping numbers or individual hardware.

2015 just keeps getting better and better and I think may end up with more HOF'ers although less depth.

2003:

Vanek - Getzlaf - Perry
Parise - Bergeron - Carter
Pavelski - Richards - Brown
Staal - Kesler - Backes
Eriksson

Suter - Weber
Seabrook - Phaneuf
Methot - Byfuglien
Enstrom

Fleury
Crawford

2015:

Kaprizov - McDavid - Marner
Connor - Aho - Rantanen
Hintz - Eichel - Barzal
Boeser - Eriksson Ek - Konecny
Meier

Hanifin - Werenski
Provorov - Dunn
Andersson - Chabot
Carlo

Hill
Montembeault

EDIT: Totally meant to have Brent Burns on the '03 team but I won't edit the team now.
McDavid is really the only differentiator for the 2015 team but he isn't good enough to overcome the depth advantage for 2003, especially with the likes of Suter, Weber, Seabrook, etc. patrolling the blueline and Bergeron/Kesler/Richards taking match-ups. Head-to-head, I'm going 2003.

I'm actually kind of blown away that anyone is taking 2015; 2003 is better at every position except #1C. I mean 2003 has a 100 point center and 40-goal Selke winner on the 4th line. 2015 would be straight-up bullied in a playoff series.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

ijuka

May 14, 2016
2015 very obviously better, quite shocking poll results to me

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad