Post-Game Talk: #2 | Flyers at Senators | October 14, 2023 | Flyers lose 5-2

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
o degrees C = 32 degrees F
0 degrees K = -273 degrees F

In theory you cannot achieve a temp. less than 0 degrees K or Absolute Zero… unless you happen to be this team. Therefore you can throw out theory.

Celsius scale is too good for the Flyers.

Also I make no claims on hockey expertise, but I can surely claim their ineptitude knows no bounds.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Oh, I had no expectations, neither does Torts. Staal only played 10:57 at ES, Andrae 16:12.
Unfortunately, Staal played 5 minutes on the PK.

Let's see how many minutes/games he plays at home.
York, Sanheim, Walker and Risto seem to be the top 4.
Zamula and/or Andrae.
That leaves 0 or 1 spot for Staal/Seeler.

They're gonna play Risto no matter how much it pisses off this board, they have to, because you can't buy him out with 3 years left on his contract, he'll be 30 next summer, so to move him he has to continue to play well defensively.

Atkinson is another story, if after 20 or so games he looks cooked, they can bury him and buy him out next summer.
Tortorella played Staal therefore he had expectations for him and still does.

Once again, “this part doesn’t count” because it goes against the story I’m trying to tell.

Just as we’ve seen and argued for years now, playing these scrubs for even a single second is a mistake.

This organization was over the moon that someone like Staal would want to play for them. They thought that they were getting a steal. They weren’t. They were taken for another retirement send off sweetheart of a deal and they’re too dumb of an organization to realize it.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The PP unit construction is just laughable. Atkinson should be nowhere near PP1.

Couturier
Frost
Konecny
Brink
York

there's 5. figure it out.
Brink has to be dressed first, to be on the PP

Oh, I had no expectations, neither does Torts. Staal only played 10:57 at ES, Andrae 16:12.
Unfortunately, Staal played 5 minutes on the PK.

Let's see how many minutes/games he plays at home.
York, Sanheim, Walker and Risto seem to be the top 4.
Zamula and/or Andrae.
That leaves 0 or 1 spot for Staal/Seeler.

They're gonna play Risto no matter how much it pisses off this board, they have to, because you can't buy him out with 3 years left on his contract, he'll be 30 next summer, so to move him he has to continue to play well defensively.

Atkinson is another story, if after 20 or so games he looks cooked, they can bury him and buy him out next summer.
We’re only two games in and we’re already entertaining the fantastical notion that they would demote Atkinson to the AHL. :biglaugh:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
No, they're not going to demote Atkinson, but if he can't produce, at some point he'll be benched.
I think there are some limits on demoting veterans after a certain tenure under the CBA in any case.

I'd suspect Brink is more likely to stick than Foerster, his skill set is more unique on this team.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
There's a reason Torts played Staal et al in this game.
On the road, and I didn't realize Ottawa was that physical, 2nd in the league in hits last year, and they basically won the majority of board battles. Outmuscled everyone but Couts and the 4th line.
It would have been uglier with Zamula and Brink out there along with Andrae and Foerster.

Flyers are just not built to handle aggressive physical forechecking teams right now, especially on the road. They are undersized on defense, and with both Zamula and Andrae you can force the kids into turnovers by pressuring them.

So yeah, I'd shelter the kids on the road until the game is more instinctual for them.

Nothing can be fixed this year (you wanna play Ginning?).

It's about decisions, does Atkinson show enough to be moved or do they buy him out in the summer?
Try to get a good return for Walker, anything for Seeler, hopefully suitors for Laughton and Hathaway.
Poehling has been up and down, love the speed but at times he looks awkward with the puck. Stay or go?

And so on. This is what rebuilding looks like,p
Wow. I was at the game today and the last thing we needed was more of the fourth line and Staal. Frost actually carried his line at times.
Your boys of Cates and Tippett were terrible.
Coots,TK Sanheim were playing there asses off when it was 2-1.
When Ottawa made it 3-1 Our fearless coach decided he was playing the fourth line and Staal more.
What a genius.

Canfly

Nov 25, 2016
Reffing was questionable both ways. Ottawa shot high every time they had an open lane.
Hart kept them in there as long as he could.
Nice to see Ottawa present G with all of those gifts and respect what he did in his career of his points. This owner is going to make this team a winner in a few years.
This guy loves hockey even though he is a multi millionaire.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
A few players had mostly good games (Walker, Sanheim, Konecny, York). I can talk about Deslauriers never missing a shift down multiple goals, with opportunity to double shift someone. Everyone has talked about Marcooked Staal. You can smell Tort's dislike of Frost already.

@VladDrag -- I want to talk about the PP, since you @'d me.

The Flyers PP last year was 3rd worst in xGF/60 (and very close to last, while being last 5v4) and last in GF/60. It's the same staff and players, so nothing has changed. Watching them in preseason and today, nothing will change. They're a galactic light year away from fixing it. It's depressing. Should this PP be below average? Probably. I think the total list of true PP1 talents in this organization is: [wait for Michkov]. But they're not this deficient. York, Sanheim, TK, Frost, Brink, Foerster, Couturier -- with proper designs, there's competency here. These guys know how to work a PP.

The 5v3 with two players stationary below the goal line is the most absurd thing I've ever seen, goal or not. It's non-threatening by design. Or it was the most absurd until the 4v3 with all players out wide and no interior presence. Real life NHL coaches spent a summer designing this. That Giroux/Stutzle/Tkachuk/Chabot ran a clinic on a later 4v3 served as a perfect contrast. The single moment of an actual NHL PP today was a Frost-Farabee-Cates-Tippett-Frost-Sanheim touch pass/royal road passing sequence in about 3 seconds. Every other second today was worthless.

When faced with a terrible PP today, what did Rocky "Matt Canada" Thompson tweak in the 3rd? He put Tippett and Atkinson on the half walls of PP1. They actively choose the worst options -- specifically in passing -- thinking it's a good option. Lost lost lost. Atkinson shouldn't sniff PP time at this stage in his career (and he was never especially good on the PP), and he's used as their centerpiece. Tippett is panicky when set-up. Couturier and Konecny are probably support pieces on a better PP, but surely, those are better wall options. Yet, they are off puck low. Then add in the young players.

Last edited:

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Wow. I was at the game today and the last thing we needed was more of the fourth line and Staal. Frost actually carried his line at times.
Your boys of Cates and Tippett were terrible.
Coots,TK Sanheim were playing there asses off when it was 2-1.
When Ottawa made it 3-1 Our fearless coach decided he was playing the fourth line and Staal more.
What a genius.

Look you can't just win by outscoring the other team ok.

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
A few players had mostly good games (Walker, Sanheim, Konecny, York). I can talk about Deslauriers never missing a shift down multiple goals, with opportunity to double shift someone. Everyone has talked about Marcooked Staal. You can smell Tort's dislike of Frost already.
I want to take a brief moment to be positive. I hadn't seen much of Walker prior to his time here. I actually like what I've seen of him so far. Not a world beater, but perfectly competent in his role. I don't know if he makes any sense long term, but he seems like a useful asset in the short term, or for a trade.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I want to take a brief moment to be positive. I hadn't seen much of Walker prior to his time here. I actually like what I've seen of him so far. Not a world beater, but perfectly competent in his role. I don't know if he makes any sense long term, but he seems like a useful asset in the short term, or for a trade.

Yeah Walker's a fine player. The Flyers have had so few uncomplicated, competent depth defensemen lately.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes

He's unquestionably better than Ristolainen (think about what it looks like when he's playing!), Staal, likely Seeler depending on regression. That's both a positive and a negative!

He was a crisp passer today. It notably stood out amid the panic rims against the forecheck. He grades out as a pretty useful 5v5 offensive defender, even if he's not a big point getter. I think that checks out. In terms of an asset, we'll see if he nets more than a 4th-5th rounder.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
"This is what a rebuild looks like"

Not trading Laughton for 1st + 2nd
Not trading Seeler
Only getting a 2nd for 2 year 5 million cap dump goalie
Adding a 36 year old Dman
Adding a 31 year old 4th liner
Spending 5.5 million on a 4th line
A 4th line the coach has already declared he can't break up
Scratching kids so shit vets can play
Hiring a GM with no experience molded by old regime
Hiring a POHO with no experience in Mgt at all
Both only hired on condition that Torts stays
Call it a New Era by changing the color orange

Imagine choosing THIS path and calling it a rebuild....and thinking it's the right direction.

Last edited:

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
Thoroughly out of their element. This coaching staff has no clue how to optimize the lineup.
how would YOU optimize lineup?
The PP unit construction is just laughable. Atkinson should be nowhere near PP1.

Couturier
Frost
Konecny
Brink
York

there's 5. figure it out.

Atkinson should be on 1st PP and should PK as well.. Simply because we MUST unload him somehow at TDL.

chadateit

Jan 11, 2021
"This is what a rebuild looks like"

Not trading Laughton for 1st + 2nd
Not trading Seeler
Only getting a 2nd for 2 year 5 million cap dump goalie
Adding a 36 year old Dman
Adding a 31 year old 4th liner
Spending 5.5 million on a 4th line
A 4th line the coach has already declared he can't break up
Scratching kids so shit vets can play
Hiring a GM with no experience molded by old regime
Hiring a POHO with no experience in Mgt at all
Both only hired on condition that Torts stays
Call it a New Era by changing the color orange

Imagine choosing THIS path and calling it a rebuild....and thinking it's the right direction.
umm, you left out possibly the most important thing of all. They went to two logos at center ice

Larry44

#FlyersPerpetualMediocrity
Mar 1, 2002
Got to watch this
For just a split second after last game I wondered if this year was worth getting NHL Centre Ice to watch all the games.

Then I saw that this one was being televised for free

And now I realize what a waste that half second was. Me and my 💰 will remain together.
one. This mobile site and its refreshes and pop ups is getting as bad as our coaches. C Ya!

Last edited:

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
We're all Flyers fans, true Flyers fans need to boycott them, please sell the team, all that matters is Michkov and the team / coach we have when he arrives.

Last edited:
Reactions: Amorgus

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
For those keeping track of such things, next game is Tuesday

We're all Flyers fans, true Flyers fans need to boycott them, please sell the team, all that matters is Michkov and the team / coach we have when he arrives.

Next Tuesday......ahh...........not soon enough......boycott.......no way........love to see Rome burn......that is my gut reaction........perhaps they will cross the Rubicon too....cliches.

The real question do you want to see the Flyers lose 7-1 or lose 3-2 in a close game?????

Ahhh...just blowin' in the wind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad