Prospect Info: 2024 Round 1, #10 Overall - LD Anton Silayev

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
(shamelessly reposting this from the main thread lol)

i like this pick. not quite my best available, but i think a lot of silayev's offensive upside concerns and puck skill issues are less of a problem on a blue line that already has luke and nemo on it. we talk all the time about wanting to add true shutdown guys, well, here he is. his mobility at 6'7" is rare and he'll be hyper-coveted come playoff time

larionov has done a good job w him and artamonov in torpedo, and i expect that to continue. good team composition pairing even if i technically preferred a dickinson or buium pick more. my 9th ranked prospect

full report later

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
1719621846200.png

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
(shamelessly reposting this from the main thread lol)

i like this pick. not quite my best available, but i think a lot of silayev's offensive upside concerns and puck skill issues are less of a problem on a blue line that already has luke and nemo on it. we talk all the time about wanting to add true shutdown guys, well, here he is. his mobility at 6'7" is rare and he'll be hyper-coveted come playoff time

larionov has done a good job w him and artamonov in torpedo, and i expect that to continue. good team composition pairing even if i technically preferred a dickinson or buium pick more. my 9th ranked prospect

full report later

I clamor for a shutdown guy, but at the same time I feel they're available in the 2nd and 3rd round.

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
I clamor for a shutdown guy, but at the same time I feel they're available in the 2nd and 3rd round.
thats completely fair, but not at his size and with his skating ability. those always go high because theyre so coveted. im honestly surprised he made it to 10 even if he wasnt the exact top of my board

given how the board shook out, LD was the correct route to take. i liked dickinson more, but hes not the slam dunk defensive projection silayev is. he also has some puck management issues just not to the same degree. i liked buium more too, but stylistically i was always skeptical he was a match for our blue line

we have luke, we have nemo. what we dont have, or didnt have until now, was a truly elite play stopper, which is what silayev is. this pick is a huge win for team composition

one note (and i dont wanna run too long its gonna take away from my bigger report lol) is he played a lot of RD this year as a left shot defender. that makes the passing game hard. he also almost assuredly struggled with fatigue by the end of the season. both of these factors quite likely have some influence on his issues, particularly down the stretch

Alex NJD

Apr 28, 2015
Parsippany, New Jersey
Honestly lukewarm on the pick. Felt the other two LHD have a much better chance to be in the lineup opening night 2025. But this is a guy we didn't even discuss because it seemed like no chance he was ever falling to us. If he hits his ceiling our d core will be INSANE.

Also my dad loves the pick. Polish immigrant who came over during the 80s always loves Russian players, doesn't have a team but if he did it'd be the Rags 🤢. Showed him a video and he's saying he was grown in a Russian lab

"Too fast for guy so big" - my dad

evnted

Apr 14, 2016
Fitz is currently obsessed with size, physicality, "violence" and being harder to play against. Obvious this was going to be Silayev or Dickinson even though Buium and probably Helenius were the best players on the board.

I don't think he's going to be Hedman. Could he be a modern day Chara? Possibly.
definitely not hedman, and its a disservice to the kid that the comp is even still floating around. but if things break right, something more in the chara mold could absolutely be in play. he has his issues, im not glossing over them because hes our pick, but youd be hard pressed to find a more dominant shutdown presence coming out of the draft than him

Lou Bloom

Oct 14, 2020
Absolutely love this pick, didn't even entertain the idea that he'd be available at 10th. He was easily the BPA for me at the pick and also was the best fit in this draft for what the Devils need more of (Big, Athletic, Defense minded players). Couldn't draw up a better fit to have long term next to Luke and Nemec.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
Watching some of the video of Silayev and he is so comfortable skating for a guy his size.

You can see why some people would fall in love with a guy with his wingspan who can comfortable skate and pivot in all 4 directions. He may just swallow up other team’s offense.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
Great pick, we legit have our top 4 of the future set in stone if Silayev is an NHLer.

Silyaev-Nemec
Luke-Anyone (lmao)

You could also put Silayev with Casey and it would probably work as well. This board can't complain how soft Siegs and pine for Bahl like it did and then hate this pick. He'll be an NHLer at the worst and his ceiling is tremendous as a shutdown D

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
YESSSSSS I f***ing love this guy. Cannot believe he made it to 10. Even without the offense ever coming he should at least be a #3 elite shutdown D if not top pair caliber and if that offense ever comes…. Watch the f*** out

Great pick, we legit have our top 4 of the future set in stone if Silayev is an NHLer.

Silyaev-Nemec
Luke-Anyone (lmao)

You could also put Silayev with Casey and it would probably work as well. This board can't complain how soft Siegs and pin for Bahl like it did and then hate this pick. He'll be an NHLer at the worst and his ceiling is tremendous as a shutdown D

I doubt it happens but my hope was always D at 10 and Casey deal for McGroarty. I’d also still probably go Luke-Nemec. The shit they did together this year as 20 year olds was silly. They had like a 65% xG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad