GDT: 1993 LA @ Montréal Stanley cup final, we're winning a cup tonight?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HabsDood

We're the best
Jun 30, 2008
Montreal
Game 2 of the 93 series in on Sportsnet, Gretzky and Maclean are doing some commentary. Wayne says the habs Getting mike Keane Into the second game was the biggest turning point in the series , says the habs were bigger , stronger and tougher with Keane.
Game 2 is the turning point, they didn't give up and then that stick..

FrankMTL

Jan 6, 2005
I remember that series like it was yesterday, even though it was in 1993, and I was in Grade 8. What a feeling. I was young and since we had also won in 1986, it was almost "normal" that the Habs won the Stanley Cup. The toughest series was that first one against the Nordiques. Down two games to zero against a very talented Nordiques roster. The Habs were a team of character players back then with Muller, Damphousse, Carbonneau, Keane, Desjardins and of course, Patrick Roy.

Hopefully I have a chance to see another Stanley Cup win in my lifetime.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I was 8. Remember game 5 still as if it was yesterday.

I thought Paul Di Pietro was a superstar back then lol.

When you watch those games again you can see how Parrick Roy was intense in net, must be very intimidating. He was our only true superstar but the team overall was very likable, we had great guys and Demers was a great coach for this team.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I was at game 5 , you could literally feel the electricity in the air that the cup was going to be won that night. We got standing room tickets from scalpers for 80 bucks. Back then at the Forum there were 2 levels of standing room areas- mid and upper. As soon as the gates opened we made a mad dash and ended up in the middle standing area center ice. They were perfect " seats".

Never will forget that night, there was a riot after the game, we were stuck in the crowd and the RCMP (?) on horseback was ready in their full riot gear. Didn't participate in the riot, just watched it unfold before my eyes.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Game 2 of the 93 series in on Sportsnet, Gretzky and Maclean are doing some commentary. Wayne says the habs Getting mike Keane Into the second game was the biggest turning point in the series , says the habs were bigger , stronger and tougher with Keane.

Thats the way classic games should be broadcast. It's far more interesting when the game is being narrated like that.

I also see that first LA goal was off a bad turnover by brisebois, which became a big staple of his career.

Gretzky also mentioned how big a pain in the butt carbonneau was to play against, but him talking about Keane returning to the lineup as the turning point really was the highlight.

Had they just played that classic game without any narration, we would have missed out on that nugget of information.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I was at games 2 and 5.

After two we waited outside well the team boarded the bus. Insane.

I think Desjerdins' hatty has been a little overlooked in terms of iconic performances.
When I’m on my death bed I will have very few regrets, bailing out on going to Game 2 will be one of them

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Was there in person, still have some of the ticket stubs including one signed by Larry Robinson who was sitting a few seats over from me during the second game at the ole forum. I was 17 at the time and I would never have thought that all these years later the habs would not come close to winning another.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada

Mike Keane was so underrated as a bottom 6 player. I remember people not making a big deal about him being given to the Avs for free in the Roy trade. Like even with just Roy that was an awful trade but we had to add one of the best bottom 6 player in the NHL to make it even worse.

LV426

Oct 28, 2021
New Brunswick
That was a great time. I remember it like it was yesterday.

So much heart on that team, wow

A time when going to Disneyland meant something. :D

6-10-2023 12-22-10 AM.png

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Desjardins, Brisebois, Schneider, and odelein were all really young at the time, but looking back, that was a pretty strong defense on paper.

All of these guys ended up playing a shit ton of years in the nhl, and all of them hit 1,000 plus nhl games.

You think about the dmen they had basically given away such as Lefebvre, lumme, and svoboda as well. At one point in 1989 or so, when you combine what the Habs had on the big team and in the pipeline, you could argue that they had enough quality on defense to ice two pretty good teams.

Last edited:

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Desjardins, Brisebois, Schneider, and odelein were all really young at the time, but looking back, that was a pretty strong defense on paper.

All of these guys ended up playing a shit ton of years in the nhl, and all of them hit 1,000 plus nhl games.

You think about the dmen they had basically given away such as Lefebvre, lumme, and svoboda as well. At one point in 1989 or so, when you combine what the Habs had on the big team and in the pipeline, you could argue that they had enough quality on defense to ice two pretty good teams.
They were young then, no where near best years. I remember Kevin Haller played well

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Marinaro had Muller, Serge Savard and Lebeau on his podcast the other night to celebrate the 30 year anniversary. Really good episode.

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
1,000 bucks says LA comes back and wins the series. The Great One loses to no one
Gretzky has something like 48 or 49 records, he's the undisputed GOAT, but there's one he never could achieve : three Conn Smyth trophies. Roy will always have that over him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad