*Closed* 16 years of Champions Bracket [QuarterFinals] - 1. CHICAGO 2013 vs. 8. TAMPA 2020

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who wins a 7 game series?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Our first Quarter finals matchup!

It's a doozie - the top ranked seed by regular win% vs what I think many would consider one of the best teams of the current generation.

TAMPA 2020CHICAGO 2013
PlayerGPGAPTSPlayerGPGAPTS
Nikita Kucherov
25​
7​
27​
34​
Patrick Kane
23​
9​
10​
19​
Brayden Point
23​
14​
19​
33​
Bryan Bickell
23​
9​
8​
17​
Victor Hedman
25​
10​
12​
22​
Patrick Sharp
23​
10​
6​
16​
Ondrej Palat
25​
11​
7​
18​
Marián Hossa*
22​
7​
9​
16​
Yanni Gourde
25​
7​
7​
14​
Jonathan Toews
23​
3​
11​
14​
Blake Coleman
25​
5​
8​
13​
Duncan Keith
22​
2​
11​
13​
Kevin Shattenkirk
25​
3​
10​
13​
Michal Handzus
23​
3​
8​
11​
Alex Killorn
24​
5​
5​
10​
Michael Frolik
23​
3​
7​
10​
Mikhail Sergachev
25​
3​
7​
10​
Andrew Shaw
23​
5​
4​
9​
Anthony Cirelli
25​
3​
6​
9​
Johnny Oduya
23​
3​
5​
8​
Tyler Johnson
25​
4​
3​
7​
Dave Bolland
18​
3​
3​
6​
Barclay Goodrow
25​
1​
5​
6​
Brandon Saad
23​
1​
5​
6​
Pat Maroon
25​
1​
5​
6​
Marcus Kruger
23​
3​
2​
5​
Ryan McDonagh
22​
1​
4​
5​
Niklas Hjalmarsson
23​
0​
5​
5​
Zach Bogosian
20​
0​
4​
4​
Brent Seabrook
23​
3​
1​
4​
Erik Cernak
25​
0​
4​
4​
Michal Rozsíval
23​
0​
4​
4​
Cedric Paquette
25​
0​
3​
3​
Viktor Stalberg
19​
0​
3​
3​
Luke Schenn
11​
0​
2​
2​
Nick Leddy
23​
0​
2​
2​
Carter Verhaeghe
8​
0​
2​
2​
Daniel Carcillo
4​
0​
1​
1​
Steven Stamkos
1​
1​
0​
1​
Brandon Bollig
5​
0​
0​
0​
Mitchell Stephens
7​
1​
0​
1​
Sheldon Brookbank
1​
0​
0​
0​
Jan Rutta
5​
0​
1​
1​
Corey Crawford
23​
0​
0​
0​
Andrei Vasilevskiy
25​
0​
1​
1​
Ben Smith
1​
0​
0​
0​
Braydon Coburn
3​
0​
0​
0​
Alexander Volkov
1​
0​
0​
0​
PlayerGPSV%GAAGSAAPlayerGPSV%GAAGSAA
Andrei Vasilevskiy
25​
0.93​
1.9​
7.7​
Corey Crawford
23​
0.932​
1.84​
6​

How they got here:
Chicago 2013 [72%] over LAK 2012 [28%]
Tampa 2020 [85%] over Washington [15%]

1660065593260.png

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Close, but have to go with the Blackhawks. Every player on that 2013 team was playing damn near their career peak.

For example, people might be surprised to know that Crawford had a better SV% and GAA in the 2013 run than Vasi did in 2020.

I mean hell, Toews was snakebit with a horrible 4% shooting percentage in the playoffs and still managed an insane 60%+ in xGF, CF, and GF%.

Even if they weren’t scoring, they’d beat you 2-1 cause you never had the puck. Combine that with obscene forward scoring depth, a ‘4th line’ that could erase teams top lines and d-core so quick and precise with the puck that they were basically unforecheckable…

I watched the (at the time) record-setting Michael Jordan Bulls and I still say, I have never cheered for a team that played their sport as well as the 2013 Blackhawks played hockey.

Reactions: BHD

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Close, but have to go with the Blackhawks. Every player on that 2013 team was playing damn near their career peak.

For example, people might be surprised to know that Crawford had a better SV% and GAA in the 2013 run than Vasi did in 2020.

I mean hell, Toews was snakebit with a horrible 4% shooting percentage in the playoffs and still managed an insane 60%+ in xGF, CF, and GF%.

Even if they weren’t scoring, they’d beat you 2-1 cause you never had the puck. Combine that with obscene forward scoring depth, a ‘4th line’ that could erase teams top lines and d-core so quick and precise with the puck that they were basically unforecheckable…

I watched the (at the time) record-setting Michael Jordan Bulls and I still say, I have never cheered for a team that played their sport as well as the 2013 Blackhawks played hockey.

What did the line up look like?

I voted Hawks but it would have been interesting to see if Keith/Seabrook/Toews/Hossa would be able to shut down Kucherov/Point.

Cool to see Patrick Sharp's name. Easy to forget just how good he was for a 5 year span.

Vakarte

May 30, 2022

Why you using outdated numbers when you should be used Goals saved above expected in which Vasy saved 20+ goals above expected whereas Crawford saved just a mere 5.5?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Why you using outdated numbers when you should be used Goals saved above expected in which Vasy saved 20+ goals above expected whereas Crawford saved just a mere 5.5?

That's fair enough, though I wonder where you got those numbers, as they're way off the numbers at evolving-hockey. Vasi still has the better GSAx but it's 13.72 to Crawford's 6.26.

So yes, Crawford was great and Vasi was better.

My vote remains the same. Every player on that 2013 team was playing out of their minds.

It would be a close series though. GF%, CF%, xGF%, all within a percentage point or less between the two teams through their playoff runs. Tampa slightly better offensively, Chicago slightly better defensively... albeit I don't think there's much question the 2013 Kings and 2013 Bruins are the toughest teams either team faced in their cup runs.

Last edited:
Reactions: x Tame Impala

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
That's fair enough, though I wonder where you got those numbers, as they're way off the numbers at evolving-hockey. Vasi still has the better GSAx but it's 13.72 to Crawford's 6.26.

So yes, Crawford was great and Vasi was better.

My vote remains the same. Every player on that 2013 team was playing out of their minds.

It would be a close series though. GF%, CF%, xGF%, all within a percentage point or less between the two teams through their playoff runs. Tampa slightly better offensively, Chicago slightly better defensively... albeit I don't think there's much question the 2013 Kings and 2013 Bruins are the toughest teams either team faced in their cup runs.
Vasi is the reason I voted for the Bolts. To be clear though, there is no wrong answer here, as both these teams were amazing. Due to the differences in scoring from 2013 vs 2020, I think stats will indicate Vasi vs Crawford being closer than it really was and on the flip side, Tampa's best scorers will appear to have a bigger edge over Chicago than they really do. I think this series goes 7, with Vasi being able to steal a game or two being the difference.

Their playoff runs serve as an interesting contrast, as the Bolts were a machine that just dismantled everyone that postseason. Lead 3-1 after 4 every series and never faced elimination, in addition to never losing B2B. The Hawks, meanwhile, had higher highs and lower lows. Fell down 3-1 to a fading Wings team and needed OT in game 7 just to beat them, narrowly avoiding a monumental upset. But then they played much better after that, dominating a Kings team who won the cup the year before and after, then beat a Bruins team in what was the highest quality of play I've ever seen in a SCF. This includes the Bruins being the best I've ever seen a SCF loser play, and the Hawks best won out over them, so that was a great part of this Hawks cup. For all SCF I've experienced as a neutral fan, that was definitely my favorite. In summary, from round to round in the playoffs, the Hawks were more hot and cold, while the Bolts were more consistent. So consistent that I hardly was even stressed during that cup run.

Couple more things to add: first, of all the multi cup winners in this span, I think the Hawks would be the toughest challenge for the Bolts. These are 2 teams that could beat you in more ways than the Pens and Kings could. Second, I've always said this would've been the peak matchup of Hawks vs Bolts, as neither team was at their very best in 2015, though Chicago was closer to their peak, as I don't think Tampa started approaching it until 2018. Going back to Crawford, he can be underrated, as I remember him having a good finals in 2015.

In the end there's no wrong answer here though. 2 amazing teams who could beat you in a number of ways. Envious fans have also tried to devalue both due to not being normal seasons, but these were 2 great teams regardless.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Crawfords play that year is underrated, he was lights out. However, after giving goalies the Smythe the 2 previous years, it was unlikely they were going to give to one a third year in a row. + some thought Kane was robbed in 2010 (as a Hawks fan I had no problem with Toews winning it) so I'm sure some wanted to "make it right"

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Ultimately the Lightning never beat anyone great the way the Hawks did. The Lightning lost to the first great team they played in Colorado. I don’t think the 2013 Hawks would’ve been slowed down by them. Hawks in 6 because Vasilevsky is a great goalie

• Wow
Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Ultimately the Lightning never beat anyone great the way the Hawks did. The Lightning lost to the first great team they played in Colorado. I don’t think the 2013 Hawks would’ve been slowed down by them. Hawks in 6 because Vasilevsky is a great goalie

This is an interesting take, so I took a look at their playoff paths:

Tampa
  • Columbus (4-1)
  • Boston (4-1)
  • NYI (4-2)
  • Dallas (4-2)

Blackhawks
  • Minny (4-1)
  • Detroit (4-3)
  • LAK (4-1)
  • Boston (4-2)

I think I actually agree with you. Detroit, LAK and Boston were all very good teams. Boston wasCup quality that year. I would say all 3 were more difficult matchups than those Tampa series.

We will never know if Tampa could have done the same, but it certainly explains some of the statistical differences. It's a shame that this incredible Tampa core never had a true rival on their level to overcome.

Last edited:

LightningStorm

Lightning/Mets/Vikings
Dec 19, 2008
Pacific NW, USA
Crawfords play that year is underrated, he was lights out. However, after giving goalies the Smythe the 2 previous years, it was unlikely they were going to give to one a third year in a row. + some thought Kane was robbed in 2010 (as a Hawks fan I had no problem with Toews winning it) so I'm sure some wanted to "make it right"
Now that I think of it, Crawford is why I'd take the 2013 Hawks over the 2010 ones.
2022 Lightning are a different team, No Point after R1, and he was our leading goal scorer both postseasons, plus we lost our entire 3rd line after 2021 (Coleman-Gourde-Goodrow).
This is an interesting take, so I took a look at their playoff paths:

Tampa
  • Columbus (4-1)
  • Boston (4-1)
  • NYI (4-2)
  • Dallas (4-2)

Blackhawks
  • Minny (4-1)
  • Detroit (4-3)
  • LAK (4-1)
  • Boston (4-2)

I think I actually agree with you. Detroit, LAK and Boston were all very good teams. Boston wasCup quality that year. I would say all 3 were more difficult matchups than those Tampa series.

We will never know if Tampa could have done the same, but it certainly explains some of the statistical differences. It's a shame that this incredible Tampa core never had a true rival on their level to overcome.
This sort of relates to my point about the Hawks being more hot and cold while the Bolts being more consistent each postseason. I do think you are overestimating how good Detroit was then, as they were last cup contenders in 2009, and were now simply trying to prologue their playoff streak, which contributed to their demise starting in 2017. The Hawks nearly lost to a Wings team they had no business losing to, but then beat 2 great Kings and Bruins teams. The Bolts, meanwhile, never came close to losing, especially to a team like the 2013 Wings, but also never faced a team as good as the Kings and Bruins.

As for Tampa's 2020 opponents, I do think they are a little underrated, even if not as good as the final 2 Hawks ones. The Bruins had the best record that season and had been to the finals the previous season (as well as having the 2nd best record behind the Bolts that season). Bolts/Bruins rivalry was a real thing there. Meanwhile, the Isles were a tough team who could wear you down over the course of a playoff series. In fact, from 2019-2021, the Bruins and Isles 5 playoff series wins were tied for 2nd behind the Bolts 8 in that span. For the Stars, they'd be easier to dismiss if they only upset one opponent, but they upset 2. Beat Colorado in 7 games, then rolled over Vegas in 5. You don't beat both those teams in 2020 without being good in your own right.

In terms of Tampa never having a true rival during those years, I think the main thing they lacked was a rival who was also a cup champion. What prevented that was the 2 previous champions (Caps and Blues) essentially being one offs, and the B2B Pens before that having fallen off from that level by 2020.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tufted Titmouse

Vakarte

May 30, 2022

So we're going to ignore the Lightning beating the President trophy winning Bruins in 2020, a tough Islanders team in 2020, the run and gun Panthers in 2021, a very well balanced Hurricanes team in 2021, and the Islanders once again in 2021.

But sure, let's focus on the Finals matchup instead of the teams they faced to get to the finals.

Also funny how we discarding the 2020 Lightning playoff opponents but forget the 2013 Hawks took on the 2 lowest seeds in the first 2 round and even was pushed to 7 games by a 7th seed :(

Last edited:

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
So we're going to ignore the Lightning beating the President trophy winning Bruins in 2020, a tough Islanders team in 2020, the run and gun Panthers in 2021, a very well balanced Hurricanes team in 2021, and the Islanders once again in 2021.

But sure, let's focus on the Finals matchup instead of the teams they faced to get to the finals.

Also funny how we discarding the 20202 Lightning playoff opponents but forget the 2013 Hawks took on the 2 lowest seeds in the first 2 round and even was pushed to 7 games by a 7th seed :(

I agree with your objections.

While I personally dont think any of the teams you listed are as good as the 2013 Kings and 2013 Bruins, the Lightning did defeat good teams in their dynasty (and yes, Ill call it that, **** the traditionalists).

Its not their fault they climbed the mountain at a time when they were, lets be honest, the sole super-power of the NHL. There were good teams in their path… there just wasnt a Joker to their Batman to make things really interesting. Thats both good timing, and great management to keep the window open.

And yes, the 2013 Blackhawks seemingly needed the fear of [playoff] death to get their asses in gear, as they only lost 3 games after going down 3-1 to Detroit. Part of that was Jimmy Howard playing out of his mind, part of it was how the refs called the series, but most of it was the Blackhawks being stuck in 3rd gear til they got their dicks kicked in.

I voted for the Blackhawks, but if the Lightning come back and win this thing, I wouldnt be offended. Lets not forget, they were in the conversation since 2015. Brent Seabrook said, in an interview on the ice following the 3rd cup win ‘these guys are gonna do in the next 6 years what we did in the last 6 years’. It took some time, but they met that projection and exceeded it.

Reactions: LightningStorm

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011

Also funny how we discarding the 2020 Lightning playoff opponents but forget the 2013 Hawks took on the 2 lowest seeds in the first 2 round and even was pushed to 7 games by a 7th seed :(
Yeah I am. Name a team they faced as good as the Kings even. Let alone the Bruins who were arguably one of the best teams to lose a Final in the cap era. Oh wow the Bolts played the ISLANDERS and STARS! What a road of attrition.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I’ll take the team that didn’t have Brian Bickell as a top player 🤣

He would have had the 4th best playoff PPG on the 2020 Lightning, just behind Hedman and just ahead of Palat.

For the sake of comparison to a performance you might be familiar with, he basically had the same PPG in the 2013 playoffs as Kesler did in the 2011 playoffs (0.73 vs 0.76).

Was 2011 Kesler unfit to be considered a ‘top player’?

Last edited:
Reactions: thesaadfather

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
What did the line up look like?

I voted Hawks but it would have been interesting to see if Keith/Seabrook/Toews/Hossa would be able to shut down Kucherov/Point.

Cool to see Patrick Sharp's name. Easy to forget just how good he was for a 5 year span.
I'm pretty sure the lineups looked like:

Saad - Toews - Hossa
Sharp - Handzus - Kane
Bickell - Shaw - Stalberg
Kruger - Bolland - Frolik

until sometime in the Conference Finals, when they were changed to:

Bickell - Toews - Kane
Sharp - Handzus - Hossa
Saad - Shaw - Stalberg
Kruger - Bolland - Frolik

with a pretty consistent defense of:

Keith - Seabrook