13-14 Around the League\Playoff Race discussion!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I don't think the Habs take us in a 7 game series with Bernier in net.

On a side note, CBJ did us a huge favour. We have a game verses Detroit (if we win that) we're equal with them, minus the tie-breaker. Montreal plays Detroit twice, so we become Habs fans...

CBJ then has 7 games in 10 days to end the season, that's got to be a really tough schedule. 3 back to backs if I recall correctly. So we should be able to make up ground on them too. :crossfing

Columbus and Detroit have 2 games in hand.

So they get an extra 2 losses out of their remaining games and still would have tie breaker? Is that true?

achtungbaby

Oct 31, 2006
So lose two more games and we're pretty much done, if we're not already. We still haven't paid for those games in hand yet.

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
Columbus and Detroit have 2 games in hand.

So they get an extra 2 losses out of their remaining games and still would have tie breaker? Is that true?

Detroit and Columbus have a harder schedule than the Leafs to close out the season.

Leafs have an easy schedule but we've lost six in a row and typically lose to teams like Florida so I am not sure what is easy for this team..

If Columbus loses to PIT and Detroit loses to Montreal, both teams at 73 GP 80 P. Then if the Leafs win against the Flyers on Friday and Detroit on Saturday in regulation: 76 GP 84 P vs. 74 GP 80 P for Detroit (still have tiebreaker in hand).

People aren't going to like it but the tiebreaker is too much to overcome unless one of Columbus or Detroit just falls off the map. I could see the Leafs ending up with 92 points and finishing 9th because both Detroit and Columbus have more ROW.

Last edited:

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
4 teams tied with 80 points, the battle is on. Let's see if the Leafs can start picking up some wins here and we'll see where they end up. I still think this comes down to the last weekend of the season. We won't know if we made it or not till probably the evening of April 13th.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
4 teams tied with 80 points, the battle is on. Let's see if the Leafs can start picking up some wins here and we'll see where they end up. I still think this comes down to the last weekend of the season. We won't know if we made it or not till probably the evening of April 13th.

The bottom line is the leafs need to get on a bit of a roll for there to be a chance... Im thinking 3 straight... Philly has to be W, Same with Detroit and it MUST end in regulation.

Then we get Calgary... 3 straight W's and we should be back where we want too. This weekend will define what little hope we have left. If the leafs dont show up, frankly they don't deserve a spot in the playoffs...

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
The bottom line is the leafs need to get on a bit of a roll for there to be a chance... Im thinking 3 straight... Philly has to be W, Same with Detroit and it MUST end in regulation.

Then we get Calgary... 3 straight W's and we should be back where we want too. This weekend will define what little hope we have left. If the leafs dont show up, frankly they don't deserve a spot in the playoffs...

We also need Montreal to do us a big favour tomorrow against Detroit, ****!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Detroit and Columbus have a harder schedule than the Leafs to close out the season.

Leafs have an easy schedule but we've lost six in a row and typically lose to teams like Florida so I am not sure what is easy for this team..

If Columbus loses to PIT and Detroit loses to Montreal, both teams at 73 GP 80 P. Then if the Leafs win against the Flyers on Friday and Detroit on Saturday in regulation: 76 GP 84 P vs. 74 GP 80 P for Detroit (still have tiebreaker in hand).

People aren't going to like it but the tiebreaker is too much to overcome unless one of Columbus or Detroit just falls off the map. I could see the Leafs ending up with 92 points and finishing 9th because both Detroit and Columbus have more ROW.

We're only 1 ROW behind Detroit, we might tie that yet, them having 2 OT/SO losses and us 1 ROW, that's tied, or us 1 ROW, and them having a SOW and it's tied. If we beat them in regulation this weekend then the h2h is tied, and it would go to GD which we're 2 back of them atm, but that's nothing.

We're never going to catch columbus in the tiebreaker but it's still conceivable that we could take the tiebreaker over Detroit if we end up tied.

Obviously we need to perform better over the next while then them to even be tied as they have 2 games in hand but it's still possible.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
We're only 1 ROW behind Detroit, we might tie that yet, them having 2 OT/SO losses and us 1 ROW, that's tied, or us 1 ROW, and them having a SOW and it's tied. If we beat them in regulation this weekend then the h2h is tied, and it would go to GD which we're 2 back of them atm, but that's nothing.

We're never going to catch columbus in the tiebreaker but it's still conceivable that we could take the tiebreaker over Detroit if we end up tied.

Obviously we need to perform better over the next while then them to even be tied as they have 2 games in hand but it's still possible.

If they lose tomorrow in regulation, that would be huge!

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010

I really don't want a repeat of that year when we came back to beat the Habs after being down 2 or 3 in the 3rd and then needed the Islanders to lose to Jersey, and then Jersey being down 2 with 6 minutes left, tying it with 1 second left and then losing in a shootout. I just can't take that again. But we don't play that Sunday, Detroit, and Washington does, I just hate having to sit back knowing your team is done and they need another team to lose to do it :(

ForzaItalia

Mar 23, 2008
Toronto, ON
"Easy" or "hard" schedule means nothing now. You've seen lesser teams beat better teams when the pressure is off. Wings play the Pens and Blues at the end too but what do the Pens and Blues have to play for by then?

At this point I know it sounds cliché but it's true. Leafs have to worry only about what they do. Win only 4 and you're done. Win 6-7 and you most likely get in.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
****ing Leafs.

We go from #2 in the division and hoping Montreal crashes without Price to cheering for Montreal :laugh:

I bet Montreal will start Budaj in those two games even though they started Price against Buffalo..

Not a chance... we are battling with Tampa for home ice so it's going to be Price.

Second game vs Detroit is going to be our second in 2 nights but it's at home so I suppose Price plays as well (Budaj plays the night before in Ottawa).

Going to be an exciting race that's for sure.

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
Who do we want to win tonight Rangers or Flyers?

I'm going to say Rangers. Leafs face Philly next and a two game losing streak would be great. Plus Philly has the much much harder schedule of the two teams. Have to face Boston and St.Louis after the Leaf game and face Boston one more time before season ends.

Bardown warrior

Oct 26, 2013
Mississauga
I really don't want a repeat of that year when we came back to beat the Habs after being down 2 or 3 in the 3rd and then needed the Islanders to lose to Jersey, and then Jersey being down 2 with 6 minutes left, tying it with 1 second left and then losing in a shootout. I just can't take that again. But we don't play that Sunday, Detroit, and Washington does, I just hate having to sit back knowing your team is done and they need another team to lose to do it :(

Columbus plays that day too

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
Neither team is competing for a wild card spot so who cares.

Leafs are 27th. last 10 games.

well yea it doesn't matter today. but if either team goes into a slump it could make a difference. 5 games from now, who knows how the standings will look. each point matters, hence why i hope it doesn't go into extra time.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
well yea it doesn't matter today. but if either team goes into a slump it could make a difference. 5 games from now, who knows how the standings will look. each point matters, hence why i hope it doesn't go into extra time.

True if Flyers pull a Leafs and lose 6 straight it might allow the Leafs to gain ground, unfortunately, after tonight Flyers have a 3 point lead, 2 games in hand and +8 in ROW.

Oct 19, 2007
I agree, it does make a difference and for the same reasons you gave..

Celly Hard

Nov 5, 2013
Ontario
Just tank, not like were gonna make it past the first round anyways.... Draft Nylander or Virtanen and get some elite talent in our prospect pool

SoulOnIce

Sep 12, 2009
True if Flyers pull a Leafs and lose 6 straight it might allow the Leafs to gain ground, unfortunately, after tonight Flyers have a 3 point lead, 2 games in hand and +8 in ROW.

Leafs are a lot closer to Philly then you seem to believe, just need a win Friday. That would leave them 2 games and 1 point behind with Philly playing Boston and St.Louis next.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad