OT: 119th Obsequious Banter Thread: April Foods Day

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

April Foods: Which food is/are among your favorite(s)? (Pick up to three)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
I think I know what standalone means, but I want to be sure -- speakers bundled with it or just the turntable? If separate, do you need Bluetooth?

I will give you new options in a price range, but I'm going to say flat out that I think you'll get a much better deal buying a vintage Technics or Pioneer unless you need BT.
Just a turntable. I plan to hook it into my receiver. I just wasn't sure what qualifies as good.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Just a turntable. I plan to hook it into my receiver. I just wasn't sure what qualifies as good.

U-Turn Orbit is the standard rec for "I just want a solid one." That should be 250 without a sale. Made in the US and they make parts for it if you want to change some things. The only real downside to this one is that you have to change a belt to swap between 33 and 45.

I have a Rega Planar 1, which is one of the usual "I want a nice one but I don't want to spend a grand" options. That's 500ish, but I bought it used off of an audiophile forum for 400 with a $100 cartridge included. You'll also see a ton of people suggest the Fluance RT85N in this price range. I haven't heard it personally.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
U-Turn Orbit is the standard rec for "I just want a solid one." That should be 250 without a sale. Made in the US and they make parts for it if you want to change some things. The only real downside to this one is that you have to change a belt to swap between 33 and 45.

I have a Rega Planar 1, which is one of the usual "I want a nice one but I don't want to spend a grand" options. That's 500ish, but I bought it used off of an audiophile forum for 400 with a $100 cartridge included. You'll also see a ton of people suggest the Fluance RT85N in this price range. I haven't heard it personally.
Ok, thanks. I'm upgrading to 4K finally and I think I'm going to have room on top of the cabinet. I have a crappy all in one, so I figured adding a turntable to use the speakers/headphones would be a nice upgrade.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
If you are going to be in the market for an important device of some sort that uses silicon wafers, I would consider accelerating your timeline. Triple that haste for solar panels.

Spruce Pine, NC was essentially destroyed in this storm. That includes the road to the only largescale mine for the quartz needed to make ingots used to refine silicon wafers. Shortages may be coming again.

There are a handful of these functionally one of a kind companies scattered around the globe propping everything up. Names that never hit the news like Veeco and Applied Materials.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
If you are going to be in the market for an important device of some sort that uses silicon wafers, I would consider accelerating your timeline. Triple that haste for solar panels.

Spruce Pine, NC was essentially destroyed in this storm. That includes the road to the only largescale mine for the quartz needed to make ingots used to refine silicon wafers. Shortages may be coming again.

There are a handful of these functionally one of a kind companies scattered around the globe propping everything up. Names that never hit the news like Veeco and Applied Materials.
Um, would that include TVs? Should I not wait for November?

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
Um, would that include TVs? Should I not wait for November?

If that was my timeline and a decent sale pops up on the model I wanted, I would pull the trigger rather than trying to save an extra $50 or something. I wouldn’t run out and pay full price today.

It will eventually get fixed because it’s so important. This is a question of when and how many employees will have to be trained. So if you don’t particularly care if a shortage means you’re in May instead of November, that’s fine too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I need to build or but a new PC. This makes me feel rushed. I don't like it

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The good news on this front is that both companies shit the bed on an entire generation of CPUs, so there’s tons of stock. :laugh:

I'm really, really annoyed by that. They did it on purpose when they heard I was getting into the market.

It might be time for me to get a server CPU. They're cheaper and capable enough anyhow.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Afternoon visitor stopped by for a snack

IMG_1832.jpeg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad