OT: 103rd Obsequious Banter Thread: "Summertime, and the livin's easy."

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

If you had to fight a tortoise or a sloth, which do you choose?

• Tortoise

Votes: 17 43.6%
  • Sloth

Votes: 22 56.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Random thought: I hope that RUS/UKR war won't end up being another Afghanistan or s***, where money is constantly flooded in, the entire thing stretches years and years and people eventually don't give a f***. Hopefully Ukraine's proximity to EU territory // willingness to destroy Russia completely - that these factors won't allow it to happen.
If you want to keep hopeful about that then definitely dont read anything about basically the entire history of the proxy wars between Russia and the West.

Reactions: BernieParent

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Mighty Ducks

I was pleasantly surprised how many people commented on my Expos cap during our California trip. While in the UCLA gift shop, one of the university-age employees said he liked the cap. We got to talking and I found out his father was originally from Sherbrooke. He was born in California but had a soft spot for Quebec.

Young Sandwich

Trout & Hockey
Sponsor
Dec 13, 2015
Outerspace
Went to Legoland in NY yesterday. Meh. It is like walmart version of Disneyworld for kids who really like Legos. One thing that disney is really good at is keeping you interested/engaged during long wait times. Legoland has none of that.
I'll be going there eventually with the kiddos. It's right on the way up to our cabin in the Catskills so it's inevitable. I heard the same about the lines from some friends. Even on a weekday it was jammed up? Weekends must be horrific.

• Wow
Reactions: Beef Invictus

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Went to Legoland in NY yesterday. Meh. It is like walmart version of Disneyworld for kids who really like Legos. One thing that disney is really good at is keeping you interested/engaged during long wait times. Legoland has none of that.

A few years ago I had to plan a deployment of about 5,000 Chromebooks to students. I designed the entire pick up process using Disney's line set up system. They really know what they are doing over there.

DancingPanther

Foundational Titan
Jun 19, 2018
A few years ago I had to plan a deployment of about 5,000 Chromebooks to students. I designed the entire pick up process using Disney's line set up system. They really know what they are doing over there.
Please explain.

No better example than the Haunted Mansion. I absolutely agree with you and have said this very thing before. You can have legit fun being distracted in lines at Disney

Superman33

Feb 27, 2002
Bucks County.
Please explain.

No better example than the Haunted Mansion. I absolutely agree with you and have said this very thing before. You can have legit fun being distracted in lines at Disney

Disney's game plan is to try to make it seem like you aren't in a line at all, and if you are in a line it will go fast and there will be something to distract you. Short article here with some of their "tricks". And another here.

I'm a big Disney Imagineer fan and I also love solving complex issues for maximum efficiency, so I was all over this "Device Deployment" design. Essentially, before school started we had to get 5,000 Chromebooks in student hands from 6th to 12th grade spread across 5 buildings with about 15 employees. We needed to collect payment and signed user agreement and give them the device set up specific for their grade and building.

Once we knew what building they were going to be in I went to work. We set up the first station, user agreement, inside the large entryway away from the door to make sure the line would never show from the parking lot. Then you went through a set of doors into a library classroom for the payment station. You'd exit that room on the opposite side to go across the hall to the cafeteria which had stations set up for grade levels and buildings. They exited out the other side of the cafeteria back into the parking lot they parked in.

The loop was perfect because you couldn't see each station from any other station. At most you might see the same two-three people in front of you at each station, but you never see the rest of the people moving through the loop. Most of the time you are "in line" you were actually walking from station to station.

We also had people "sign up" for 30 minute time slots. This helped to keep the crowds thinned at any one time, but more importantly the parents thought the process would take 30 minutes. It ended up taking about 10, so people just thought things went really well.

We also did a "fast pass" lane. Instead of going the long loop of user agreement and payment, you could have paid online and brought your signed user agreement. Those people immediately went left, handed over their User Agreement and someone would check their Student ID# for payment in our records. Those people then go down the hall and enter the cafeteria to pick up their device. These people were in and out within 5 minutes.

So:

1. Keep people moving
2. Don't let people see the whole line
3. Have interactive pieces in the line
4. Oversell how long the process should take

I was real hyped when I got to design the Covid Vaccine events.

landsbergfan

Jun 20, 2018
I'll be going there eventually with the kiddos. It's right on the way up to our cabin in the Catskills so it's inevitable. I heard the same about the lines from some friends. Even on a weekday it was jammed up? Weekends must be horrific.
Yeah I couldn’t imagine on a weekend. There is a fast past type of thing but we didn’t do it. I don’t even know how much it would be. It really was just certain rides that didn’t run very efficiently either by how they were set up or slow/not enough workers. Many rides had wait times under 10 minutes

Reactions: Young Sandwich

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
Please explain.

Less so at Disneyland, likely due to less space. We spent 70 minutes in the Cars ride lineup and it felt like even more than that. They do conceal lines well so you don't see how long you really have to wait.

• Wow
Reactions: DancingPanther
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad