Post-Game Talk: 10 shots and all we needed was 2 - SCF bound!!!

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
The Oilers always have an ex-Oiler in the building, during the playoffs, who gets shown on screen during the 2nd/3rd TV time out in the first period. Who I can remember: Roloson, Smith, Stoll, Torres, Hemsky, Laraque....

They also have guys like Kassian, Laraque and Smyth on the scoreboard regularly.
I missed a good chunk of the game so didn’t see Roli was on the jumbotron…hopefully they had him backstage (so to speak) helping Skinner prep.

As everyone knows, I haven’t had a lot of faith in Skinner but he has been nothing short of brilliant since game 6 of last series. Need him to keep riding this wave.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
I missed a good chunk of the game so didn’t see Roli was on the jumbotron…hopefully they had him backstage (so to speak) helping Skinner prep.

As everyone knows, I haven’t had a lot of faith in Skinner but he has been nothing short of brilliant since game 6 of last series. Need him to keep riding this wave.
Apparently Roloson said that Skinner had reached out to him and they'd discussed stuff. Great source.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
He is. But this is part of Dallas problem is they tend to be a nice guy team. you can't just be that. They have some players on that team that would apologize for scoring. Dallas we're different this spring because unlike LA and Van who have plenty of players that are easy enough to hate the Stars only seem to have Benn being that lightning rod. You can't even hate Tanev because he helps the Oilers so much. He was practically playing for us.

I think the Dallas Stars are too nice and will never get there with present roster. Actually Marchment was misbehaving early in series and even he stopped.

Glenn Anderson was never nice to opponents. Stars are too nice.
That was a big thing missing from this series…scrums and big hits or just a general dislike for each other. The two orgs have that buried playoff history but these two teams don’t. We’ll get reacquainted with the physicality in round 4.;)

Shanahanigans

Jun 16, 2011
Posted this on the mains and I'll post it here as well. Analytics in this series Via natural stat trick:

Game 1: Oilers, 56% xGF, Stars 44% xGF (Oilers win 3-2 in OT)
Game 2: Oilers, 58% xGF, Stars 42% xGF (Stars win 3-1)
Game 3: Stars 64% xGF, Oilers 36% xGF (Stars win 5-3)
Game 4: Oilers 60% xGF, Stars 40% xGF (Oilers win 5-2)
Game 5: Oilers 60% xGF, Stars 40% xGF (Oilers win 3-1)
Game 6: Stars 83% xGF, Oilers 17% xGF (Oilers win 2-1)

Tale of the series, Oilers were generally better at even strength in games 1-5, got dominated in game 6 but their PP and Skinner won them the game. Oilers turned it up another notch to take games 4 and 5, and the Stars couldn't break through in game 6.

For all the talk of the Oilers special teams winning them the series, we were the better even strength team 4/6 games against one of the best even strength/defensive teams in the league.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
That was a big thing missing from this series…scrums and big hits or just a general dislike for each other. The two orgs have that buried playoff history but these two teams don’t. We’ll get reacquainted with the physicality in round 4.;)
Yep. I know Been was critiqued last night again for trying to get some shit flying in the game but honestly he was the only Star trying to find that kind of traction. Most of the Stars were almost too respectful.

In pro sports you need the passion and even manufactured hate or you lose.

I think the fans dislike the Stars and vice versa more. I think the Oilers are better equipped to win a series that is lacking in hate and they did it in special teams alone. Series was more simialr to Kings series than I would have expected. Only edge the Nucks had is they just hated the Oil. It was their SC as many have mentioned.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
This is the thing.

Its the quantity you cannot put in a bottle and its either going to be there for you or not. Most SC winners get some of that. In 84 the Oilers had a tight 7 game series with Calgary earlier. Hardly anybody mentions that final with the Islander almost didn't happen. In 90 Jets had us on the ropes. 87 It went 7 games and the Oilers actually were behind in game 7.

Oilers got the magic goal posts last night as well giving a hand.

Hockey more than any sport is such a game of inches.
I thought that in the last series Vancouver had the bigger share of puck luck and bounces but the Oilers were a better hockey team.

In the Dallas series I think that the Oilers had more puck luck ---on the whole. The Oilers are a very good hockey team but I'm not sure that they are better than the Stars. Talent wise there isn't a lot to pick from. I'll take the win though and I'm taking the Oilers to beat the Cats in the final.

I'm glad that Drai and Kane have almost a week to rest up. It's obvious to me that neither one is playing the way that they can. Kane is on the downslope but I think Drai will be at his peak for another few seasons. Having said that, I don't think they can beat the Cats without more contribution from Drai.

MoontoScott

Jun 2, 2012
No doubt that this series was much less physical than the Vancouver match-up and the glaring dislike was not apparent. Familiarity breeds contempt but the Stars and Oilers aren't there yet....maybe next season but some of the Stars key pieces are getting older and I'm not sure what's left in the tank.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
Seguin has always seemed like a pretty good dude.
The injury and recovery he went through deserves a ton of credit for too, and probably built some humility and this appreciation for just having the chance.

Was surprised by his play this series, didn’t realize he was so good on the defensive end too. Good for him and good interview.

But Taylor>Tyler of course.

Aerrol

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Sep 18, 2014
WOWOWOHOHOAFDSOGJHOHOHOHOHOHOHOAFDFOHJADFHJO LETS GOOOOOOOOO
HELL YEAH BROTHER THIS IS REAL LIFE THIS IS HAPPENING ASKLJHDkj3wqheghkalejhwfdlkjadhsfl;kjahlakiuewhjaelwikrhaewlkjrhekljhawlkhjdsfhkjadsf LET'S f***ING GOOOOOOOOOO!!

Attachments

• tenso.gif
    tenso.gif
    2.6 MB · Views: 3

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
I was able to keep our whole roster except for Foegele, Ceci (traded for Picks), Campbell, and Henrique, and swapped them with Demelo, Debrusk and Nedeljkovic, with about 900k left in cap.

RNH-McDavid-Hyman
Kane-Draisaitl-Debrusk
Holloway-McLeod-Perry
Janmark-Ryan/Carrick-Lavoie

Ekholm-Bouchard
Nurse-Demelo
Kulak-Desharnais
Broberg

Skinner
Nedeljkovic
Pickard
Im very intriqued by Jake Debrusk. I think he would be a good Oiler . 27 year old local boy, wheels, physical, top 6 player. Sign me up

Reactions: McDoused

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad