Value of: #1 goalie to Carolina?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
With the Canes in playoff position with some of the worst goaltending in the league is honestly encouraging. However, Canes need a guy that can take the reigns since it's obvious that Raanta/Kooch ain't gonna cut it (shocking I know)

It may be too early to speculate who's available, but I have always hyped John Gibson to the Canes.

What's that going to take?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I would think there is a possibility Markstrom will become available. I'm wondering if that's why they took a lesser deal with no retention, than the better assets with retention.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
I would think there is a possibility Markstrom will become available. I'm wondering if that's why they took a lesser deal with no retention, than the better assets with retention.
On 32 thoughts they said that deal with no retention allows the flames to accumulate LTIR now, so there's a chance they're going to be building towards something, but I don't think that's the reason why they didn't retain, or want to here.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
On 32 thoughts they said that deal with no retention allows the flames to accumulate LTIR now, so there's a chance they're going to be building towards something, but I don't think that's the reason why they didn't retain, or want to here.
I think there are 3 possibilities:

1. Edwards hates retention. He has done it before, but it was always rumored to be something he doesn't want to do.

2. They want to have the slots to up the return on Tanev, Lindholm and Hanifin. I believe they will sign one of those 2 defensemen. So I don't think that's it.

3. They think they can move one of Markstrom, Huberdeau or Kadri. I don't think Huberdeau is moveable unless you take a bad deal back and retain, so I don't think it's him. Markstrom at 50% brings you real value back. Kadri you would probably move if you retain 2M.

Bond

May 10, 2012
Markstrom at full freight can probably be had for a 3rd or something

2. They want to have the slots to up the return on Tanev, Lindholm and Hanifin. I believe they will sign one of those 2 defensemen. So I don't think that's it.
I think it is this one. Tanev and Hanifin already turned down contracts from the Flames

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Carolina seems risk averse but they may have to extend themselves if they want to really go for a cup. I'm not sure that they have a better chance than this year and next year. At some point they will have to start paying more players for later UFA years and their depth will start to take something of a hit. It is probably worth paying the freight for a true top goalie if one is available and fits the salary parameters. Not sure if that's Markstrom though. He hasn't had a good season since 2020 and have the Flames been that bad in front of him for 3 years now? And that contract is pretty steep.

Reactions: MikeFolignosHelmet

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Carolina seems risk averse but they may have to extend themselves if they want to really go for a cup. I'm not sure that they have a better chance than this year and next year. At some point they will have to start paying more players for later UFA years and their depth will start to take something of a hit. It is probably worth paying the freight for a true top goalie if one is available and fits the salary parameters. Not sure if that's Markstrom though. He hasn't had a good season since 2020 and have the Flames been that bad in front of him for 3 years now? And that contract is pretty steep.
Markstrom finished 2nd in the voting for the Vezina in 2022. Not sure if he's the answer. But he had a VERY good season in 2022 and has been pretty solid this season. Last year he was brutal. Of course the whole team also underperformed. At 50% cap hit you would get very good value.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
What does Carolina think about getting Mrazek back? Not a true #1 but wont cost much and can play that tandem role.

Raanta + ? for Mrazek

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
What does Carolina think about getting Mrazek back? Not a true #1 but wont cost much and can play that tandem role.

Raanta + ? for Mrazek
If you're asking for Raanta back, probably just Raanta and a 3rd or thereabouts. Raanta is a great 1B or backup, but starts to melt down when given starter workload, Mrazek is a 1B quality goalie but who can handle more games, I don't think there's really a huge difference in value there.

And yeah, I'd absolutely love Mrazek back. How can you not love that guy?

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Lets cut the hanging up jokes and see what could be done.
How about talking about Kotchetkov as part of the return for Hart? Obviously Car adds but who or what are we talking about here?
lousy stat last night .886 against Devils but some highlight saves kept the game close.
Nikishin is a non starter.

I would think if yall are looking for defense, Morrow is an attractive prospect.

My3Sons

Sponsor
Markstrom finished 2nd in the voting for the Vezina in 2022. Not sure if he's the answer. But he had a VERY good season in 2022 and has been pretty solid this season. Last year he was brutal. Of course the whole team also underperformed. At 50% cap hit you would get very good value.
I thought Calgary was hoping to avoid retention? Two years after this one is a lot to retain and I'm skeptical the return goes up that much. He's clearly a good choice for an all in team for this year and next year but I expect like most deals of this type it's mostly futures going to Calgary and I'm skeptical it's much more than a first and a good prospect and some filler going back to Calgary with or without retention.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I thought Calgary was hoping to avoid retention? Two years after this one is a lot to retain and I'm skeptical the return goes up that much. He's clearly a good choice for an all in team for this year and next year but I expect like most deals of this type it's mostly futures going to Calgary and I'm skeptical it's much more than a first and a good prospect and some filler going back to Calgary with or without retention.
I don't think we get a 1st for Markstrom without max retention. Maybe not even then. The thing it does for us is open up a spot for Dustin Wolf. He was back to back AHL goalie of the year and AHL MVP last season. If you had a D prospect who projects as a top 4-5 guy. Or a late 1st. Or a couple of 2nds it's a move I think the Flames would make. Markstrom and Lindholm are BFFs. I think he would waive if Lindholm gets moved.

Reactions: My3Sons

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Jake Allen could be a fit as a platoon goalie. I don't expect more than a 3d rounder in return, more if Carolina wants to send back a contract.

My3Sons

Sponsor
I don't think we get a 1st for Markstrom without max retention. Maybe not even then. The thing it does for us is open up a spot for Dustin Wolf. He was back to back AHL goalie of the year and AHL MVP last season. If you had a D prospect who projects as a top 4-5 guy. Or a late 1st. Or a couple of 2nds it's a move I think the Flames would make. Markstrom and Lindholm are BFFs. I think he would waive if Lindholm gets moved.

Apparently NJ put out feelers on a Markstrom move but given their cap situation I’m sure NJ offered a bargain return and still wanted Calgary to retain and part of thr offer was probably Vanacek which doesn’t do anything for Calgary.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018
Carolina laughs and hangs up.
A goalie as young and NHL accomplished as Hart is rare company. Just say Carolina doesn't value elite goalies, because they obviously don't. They do this carousel every year.

Hart also has a ton of tread left on his tires compared to the other goalies that are mentioned ITT. That adds additional value.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis has Big Kahunas
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
A goalie as young and NHL accomplished as Hart is rare company. Just say Carolina doesn't value elite goalies, because they obviously don't. They do this carousel every year.

Hart also has a ton of tread left on his tires compared to the other goalies that are mentioned ITT. That adds additional value.
You're not getting a blue chip like Nikishin and a 1st.

Morrow + is where it would be if youre looking for a defenseman.

Nikishin is pretty well untouchable

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
The Canes are built to not need franchise goaltending. They’ve won rounds with Mrazek, McElhinney, Nedeljkovic and Raanta.

It just needs for it to not be bad. A Hart or Saros is overkill. A Gibson or Markstrom may not fit in the cap structure; the total spend on goaltending in this era has been in the $6 mil - $7 mil range.

Raanta and Kochetkov just need to play better. Hopefully Andersen gets healthy by playoff time. Any meaningful trade assets need to be directed towards the finish touch up front.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad