GDT: #1: FLYERS vs. Blackhawks, Friday, Oct. 4, 2019, 2:00 pm ET [at Prague, Czech Republic]

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
What does used correctly even mean? If Provorov, Ghost and Sanheim can only be good with the right partner, they aren't really that good to begin with.

Not true. Hagg has historically been a drag on every single partner he has played with. He would drag down anyone. It's like playing shorthanded.

Braun just isn't the player that can handle top-pairing minutes anymore. He wasn't even doing that in his prime. He's fine as a #4 for a year while Myers gets his game in gear..but top pair?

Reactions: Striiker

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
When you spend $15M+ some & some assets on players you brought over the summer & aren’t remarkably better than what you’ve been over the years yes that’s concerning to me.

Now we’re suppressing the guys that could potentially make a positive impact in a big way for this team for players who offer little to no upside.

Who’s the 20 mill ?

Or are we still pretending HAyes was bad ?

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Been a fan longer than most have been alive, cheering for this team so long , being optimistic before real games is the only time it can happen.

I will snap out of it soon, but I also want to enjoy cheering for the team

So do I. I was right there with you until the Hak-esque stupidity bubbled up to the surface again.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Probably, see your are slowly getting it. Ghost is prob good enough to carry Haag
Ghost is our best D, so yeah he can carry the trash, but that doesn't mean you want him forced to carry dead weight instead of setting him up for success, the way a competent coach would.

Imagine if they put Lehtera on Couturier and Girouxs wing last year... that's basically the same type of sabotage we're seeing here.

JojoTheWhale

Lemme unload.
May 22, 2008
It does make you wonder....if those posts would have been more favorable to Farabee he likely makes the team. Came so close to scoring many, many times

I believe this to be true, which is actually the precise reason I have a problem with it.

If he wasn’t creating chances, I’d have zero issues sending him down. Acknowledging that sometimes the Goalie makes a Save and sometimes you’re just going to miss the net and baking that into your personnel decisions should be an expected part of the baseline at this point.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
They have 5 forwards in the bottom 6 that are best-suited as 4th liners on a playoff team. Would you disagree with that?

Farabee at 19 is also best-suited as a 4th liner on a playoff team right now. So is NAK, who I like better than Twarynski as a RW, but not to the point of flipping out anymore since he did get thru waivers.

Patrick hasn't played since April 2nd and Frost hasn't played since September 21st due to injury. That's going to make the bottom 6 significantly worse. Even if you assume a healthy Frost who played five preseason games also would have been cut, just losing Patrick is a big blow they can't easily fix.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
Not true. Hagg has historically been a drag on every single partner he has played with. He would drag down anyone. It's like playing shorthanded.

Braun just isn't the player that can handle top-pairing minutes anymore. He wasn't even doing that in his prime. He's fine as a #4 for a year while Myers gets his game in gear..but top pair?
I'm not happy with Hagg still in the lineup, but we can blame Myers and his lackluster pre-season for that. It was his spot to lose and he lost it.
The pairings aren't ideal, but AV isn't Hakstol. He won't keep them like that no matter what.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Ghost is our best D, so yeah he can carry the trash, but that doesn't mean you want him forced to carry dead weight instead of setting him up for success, the way a competent coach would.

Imagine if they put Lehtera on Couturier and Girouxs wing last year... that's basically the same type of sabotage we're seeing here.

Again Agree. BUT HAag is playing, it is what it is

KrazyKat

May 27, 2013
Vancouver
It’s also annoying that we are just burning ELC years keeping people in the AHL.

This is when you capitalize on paying these kids a fraction of their on ice value.

Relax. No one said they would be there the FULL season. I’d imagine around 10-15 games let them turn it up a notch. Score some goals and get their confidence up.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Myers may not have made the opening game even with a great preseason. It's hard to say what their intentions are till at least the Welinski situation is resolved.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Who’s the 20 mill ?

It's going to be extremely interesting to see how people react to his play over the course of the season. I don't expect anyone else to hate his mutt ass like I do (and I don't expect anyone to take my opinion of his mutt ass seriously, even though I am totally right about him), but it will be interesting to see how much his average play will be exaggerated. I am sure he will have his moments where he deserves some accolades and you guys can throw him a literal bone, but the rest of the time I'm interested to see how people react.

Reactions: bennysflyers16

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm not happy with Hagg still in the lineup, but we can blame Myers and his lackluster pre-season for that. It was his spot to lose and he lost it.
The pairings aren't ideal, but AV isn't Hakstol. He won't keep them like that no matter what.

It was his spot to lose, he outplayed Hagg despite not having his A game, and Hagg was picked over him despite playing worse and having no upside..is a better way to put it.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Who’s the 20 mill ?

I corrected myself to $15+ after doing the math in my head. We’re spending about $17.7M on Hayes, Niskanen, & Braun this year to be more exact.

I like Hayes as a player. The contract stinks. But he does help now but it’s one guy & it’s not like he’s a top line caliber of player.

We need more corresponding moves than just Hayes to really move the needle for this team & it just doesn’t really look like it’s going to be happening for now.

Last edited:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I believe this to be true, which is actually the precise reason I have a problem with it.

If he wasn’t creating chances, I’d have zero issues sending him down. Acknowledging that sometimes the Goalie makes a Save and sometimes you’re just going to miss the net and baking that into your personnel decisions should be an expected part of the baseline at this point.

Just a tangential point here about how it would be nice if they were sending him down to work under a better coach than Gordo and a better system than The Beanpot Puck Chuck Up-Ice.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
It was his spot to lose, he outplayed Hagg despite not having his A game, and Hagg was picked over him despite playing worse and having no upside..is a better way to put it.

Another way to put it is "He won the spot with his development over the past four years and earned some leeway, but Alain had never heard of him before the start of training camp."

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Would it be shocking if Hayes got 70 points if he plays on PP1 and about half of the season on a line with G? Something like 45 ES, 20 PP, 5 SH.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Would it be shocking if Hayes got 70 points if he plays on PP1 and about half of the season on a line with G? Something like 45 ES, 20 PP, 5 SH.

Dunno about the rest of this but if anyone on the Flyers end up with 5 SH points I'll eat the phone I'm typing this on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad