Boston Bruins 024-2025 Roster & Salary Cap Discussion VII

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
No team with Pavel Zacha and Charlie Coyle as their top two centers will ever win a Stanley Cup. One is a better winger the other a good number 3 center. Lindholm at minimum should be the get in free agency. Coyle and Zacha were horrendous in the playoffs, look at the numbers or just rewatch the games.
You’re basing that argument on the Florida series where Marchand was knocked out, Pasta (roughed up btw) & Debrusk couldn’t finish thechances they had. Bruins couldn’t get out of their zone for extended period of times. If you surround Zacha & Coyle with talent they’ll do well enough. Lindholm is not gonna get us the cup lol.

Reactions: Hookslide

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Horrendous? Doubt it. They did fine. Lost to Florida in playoffs cause they couldn’t finish their chances and had no answer for their forecheck.
I think with a stronger center playing 18 minutes, and a lot of the issues with the forecheck disappear. On the whole, they played ok, but they got a total nothing burger from Coyle and Zacha. Love them both, and they far exceeded expectations in the regular season, but they were sad sacks in the Florida series

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
That would be a great top 6, but JDB, Lindholm & Guentzel would never fit here regardless if Chychrun is a Bruin. Do you think Geekie can out preform JDB on the 2nd line during the regular season?

Yeah, you're probably right. Maybe we don't go with Lindholm and give that money to Guentzel and go cheaper at C?

While it doesn't seem likely based on reports, if they move Ullmark for futures/prospects instead of Chychrun, they'll have about 25 million to spend.

Swayman - 7.5
Monahan - 5
Guentzel - 8
Tarasenko - 3

That's 23.5

Marchand - Monahan/Zacha - Pasta
Guentzel - Monahan/Zacha - Tarasenko

There are so many different ways things can go. I'm doing my best to temper expectations -- but I'll be disappointed if they don't land;

One of; Lindholm, Stephenson, Monahan for C

One of: Guentzel, JDB, Tarasenko for W

One of: Duhaime, Johnson for bottom 6

To your initial question: I'm not a fan of Geekie, Coyle or Frederic on line 2 long term. I'd rather they be a dominant third line, even if it means giving Merkulov and Lysell the chance to man a 2nd line wing spot, at least to start.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
So thinking about Sweeney saying we need to get faster:

Chychrun

View attachment 886212

Lindholm

View attachment 886213

I am certainly no expert on these but that doesn't scream fast to me unless Frederic is fast lol

Trent Frederic

View attachment 886215

Necas

View attachment 886217

In terms of Lindholm . He doesn't have elite speed, but these numbers show be plays fast far more often than the average player (91 percentile). Better a guy who can make plays at speed than a guy with elite speed but doesn't make plays at speed

Shoebottom88

Feb 4, 2019
I think with a stronger center playing 18 minutes, and a lot of the issues with the forecheck disappear. On the whole, they played ok, but they got a total nothing burger from Coyle and Zacha. Love them both, and they far exceeded expectations in the regular season, but they were sad sacks in the Florida series
Show me a pair of other centers that did great vs Florida lol. Trochek/Zibanejad, Point/Stamkos? Mcdavid & RNH are barely doing it. With Coyle/Zacha we still won vs Matthews/Tavares.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
Nor should they have been, he was playing on one of the worst contracts in the NHL.
Not sure (can't remember, but IIRC they were) if Arizona was going to pay a percentage of that contract.

Of course, the way Monty changes lines around, those 6 could be used 7 different ways in a given week.
"Given week?" Given period!

Reactions: Bodit9 and sarge88

yazmybaby

Sep 13, 2015
Brampton ON, Canada
In terms of Lindholm . He doesn't have elite speed, but these numbers show be plays fast far more often than the average player (91 percentile). Better a guy who can make plays at speed than a guy with elite speed but doesn't make plays at speed
Thanks for the info.
Are these stats showing a players speed with or without the puck?

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I know that the Sens don't want to give up Pinto.
I know that the Bruins have announced/scheduled a "draft party."
But, if the Bruins traded Ullmark for Pinto with no additions, would that
work for us here?

Vegas, Hertl and a draft 1st round draft pick for a signed Ully+....det, not sure.
How about Detroit; 1st round pick 2024, 2nd round pick in 2025?

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Hertl or Karlsson, but that’d probably mean we’re adding something

Can't see them dishing Karlsson but I am wondering if Hertl will be made available. I think there's some buyer beware there though. I like Nic Hague too, solid LHD with size and fits in age wise with the rest of the Bruins core dmen. Handles himself well in a fight.

Last edited:

4ORRBRUIN

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2005
boston
Can't see them dishing Karlsson but I am wondering if Hertl will be made available. I think there's some buyer beware there though. I like Nic Hague too, solid LHD with size and fits in age wise with the rest of the Bruins core dmen.
Personally want zero to do with Hertl, guy is cooked and dog shit defensively.

Take their first rounder and Hague

Mr. Make-Believe

The happy genius of my household
So thinking about Sweeney saying we need to get faster:

Chychrun

View attachment 886212

Lindholm

View attachment 886213

I am certainly no expert on these but that doesn't scream fast to me unless Frederic is fast lol

Trent Frederic

View attachment 886215

Necas

View attachment 886217
I think your suggestion here may be a little off.

Chychrun may not have elite acceleration, but the numbers you posted here have him in the 79th percentile for his position. Now compare that to who he would be replacing in a guy like Derek Forbort. The difference will be noticeable from puck drop.

And FWIW, I think Frederic has very underrated speed. He’s an excellent skater.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
You’re basing that argument on the Florida series where Marchand was knocked out, Pasta (roughed up btw) & Debrusk couldn’t finish thechances they had. Bruins couldn’t get out of their zone for extended period of times. If you surround Zacha & Coyle with talent they’ll do well enough. Lindholm is not gonna get us the cup lol.

I mean can we also base it off the Toronto series. Do we still think the bruins win if Matthews and Nylander are healthy for that series?

It took an insane performance from swayman to win it in OT if game 7 while Toronto had its 2 best players missing multiple games each.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Personally want zero to do with Hertl, guy is cooked and dog shit defensively.

Take their first rounder and Hague

Vegas like their "smartest GM in the room deals" but they screwed up big time bringing in Tomas Hertl.

JoeIsAStud

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Just sign Maroon for around one million, then don’t worry about the fourth line, it’s done. Him, Lauko, Beecher, and Brazeau plus whoever is excelling in Providence should give you a solid 8-10 minutes a night. And no bidding war for a UFA.

Problem is there just isn't much left with Maroon. I would love to see a player who is just a better player than Maroon, but not sure you'll find it.

Reactions: lopey

Roll 4 Lines

Pastafarian!
Nov 6, 2008
In The Midnight Hour
Show me a pair of other centers that did great vs Florida lol. Trochek/Zibanejad, Point/Stamkos? Mcdavid & RNH are barely doing it. With Coyle/Zacha we still won vs Matthews/Tavares.
But did they win because of Coyle & Zacha, or despite them?

Personally, I think Jeremy Swayman had an awful lot more to do with that win than the centers did.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad