WNBA 2024 WNBA Season Thread

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Sounds like a whole lot of projection.

On the main boards people constantly criticize the NBA’s product. Are they “threatened” by the existence of basketball?
Same guys saying the same things about WNBA, Womens Soccer, Pride tape.
A lot of concern about a product/thing that doesnt interest somebody.
Seems like there's something unhealthy going on.

• Haha
Reactions: MMC

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think everyone is always looking to improve their daily product, but this is year 27 of the WNBA. As much time as passed between their inaugural season and now as has between then and 1970. They are not trying to make it, they are trying to break through from their local flavors to the national conversation. Because of their longstanding existence, they’re seeing, who they hope to be, their Michael Jordan enter the league.

It truthfully doesn’t matter that much how great the level of competition on a given night, we all know that as hockey fans. These leagues are driven by their superstars and their abilities to connect the audience.

Reactions: Voight

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Sounds like a whole lot of projection.

On the main boards people constantly criticize the NBA’s product. Are they “threatened” by the existence of basketball?
I've seen posters criticizing the NBA, even in this forum. And while "threatened" might not be the right term it always seems to me that there is some reason behind it other than just "I don't really care for the product". Some resentment that the NBA is more popular than the NHL? Maybe some objection to "hoops culture"?

Frankly I've never understood why people bother going into a thread about something they don't like and announcing that they don't like it. There are sports I don't care for (NASCAR, MMA to name a couple). I'm pretty sure I've never posted anything about them (until right now).

If you're not a fan of something, fine. No one says you have to be.

Sep 19, 2008

I've seen posters criticizing the NBA, even in this forum. And while "threatened" might not be the right term it always seems to me that there is some reason behind it other than just "I don't really care for the product". Some resentment that the NBA is more popular than the NHL? Maybe some objection to "hoops culture"?

Frankly I've never understood why people bother going into a thread about something they don't like and announcing that they don't like it. There are sports I don't care for (NASCAR, MMA to name a couple). I'm pretty sure I've never posted anything about them (until right now).

If you're not a fan of something, fine. No one says you have to be.
It's a direct competitor who plays games at the same time, and different channel, than the NHL

Why should it be praised?

That said as someone with problems with the NBA since 2004 this was the first year I actively tried to follow it since the NBA reduced defensive rules around 2005

I also do not often talk about the NBA in this forum and almost always stick to college basketball

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York

It's a direct competitor who plays games at the same time, and different channel, than the NHL

Why should it be praised?

That said as someone with problems with the NBA since 2004 this was the first year I actively tried to follow it since the NBA reduced defensive rules around 2005

I also do not often talk about the NBA in this forum and almost always stick to college basketball

Nobody is saying people should praise it. And if someone dislikes something specific, they don't like the 3 pt shot, they don't like zone defenses... whatever, that's different.

But if you just don't like the sport in general for whatever reason, why the need to advertise that fact? Like I said, I'm not going to go find a NASCAR thread and tell the NASCAR fans who post there that I don't like the sport.

Last edited:
Reactions: Barrsy

Barrsy

May 14, 2017
Nobody is saying people should praise it. And if someone dislikes something specific, they don't like the 3 pt shot, they don't like zone defenses... whatever, that's different.

But if you just don't like the sport in general for whatever reason, why the need to advertise that fact? Like I said, I'm not going to go find a NASCAR thread and tell the NASCAR fans who post there that I don't like the sport.
Bang on.
Maybe cause a lot of people are insecure?. Really don’t like it that women are achieving at a high level? Don’t think they “deserve” it, cause they can’t compete with men?
Often goes hand in hand with their views of women in other sports. And has a natural extension to stuff like Pride nights/tape.

Last edited:

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
I dunno. Some say they are not interested & then go on & on about it. Its odd. Seem like insecure people who just cant accept women at the top of the food chain are getting some love/playing professional sports.
Kinda reminds me of those who get twisted over women's soccer . Or things as innocuous as pride tape.
You would think if they didnt like it, they'd just ignore it and not go on & on about it. But I guess not.
As I say, its really strange that some are so threatened and insecure. And it is possibly very concerning.
I find it ironic that your first paragraph about insecure people could also be addressed to many of the players in the WNBA and media when it comes to Caitlin Clark, kinda proves Bill Burr right about how women are more interested in tearing each other down than supporting each other.

Reactions: MMC

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Bang on.
Maybe cause a lot of people are insecure?. Really don’t like it that women are achieving at a high level? Don’t think they “deserve” it, cause they can’t compete with men?
Often goes hand in hand with their views of women in other sports. And has a natural extension to stuff like Pride nights/tape.

No one hates female athletes for being athletes.

The disdain comes from their attitude. They cry and moan about not making as much as men while completely ignoring the fact that they are in an entertainment industry and their income is tied to the revenue their entity makes. It's like an extra in a movie crying because they didnt make as much as Tom Cruise.

Additionally like the Bill Burr skit posted above me, we're sick of hearing how it's men's fault no one watches women's sports. It's not our job to watch your sports. Why dont they start criticizing women and asking why they aren't watching women's sports? Last time I checked there's more women in this country than men, with all the rah rah feminism you'd think a women's sports league would be making money hand over fist. But instead, like mentioned above, you get trash TV like Real Housewives and The Kardashians making the millions.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The women’s soccer team was the driver in being paid equal because by and large they were at least equal in the attention they received, if not more, and greatly outperformed them. They were on the stage and got the exposure, something not really said much about the other sports.

I find it ironic that your first paragraph about insecure people could also be addressed to many of the players in the WNBA and media when it comes to Caitlin Clark, kinda proves Bill Burr right about how women are more interested in tearing each other down than supporting each other.

Definitely exists, I don’t know about ‘more interested’ but look no further than how the hockey leagues fought it out. There were definitely many cases of ‘more interested.’ Now that there’s one league, they’re filling NHL buildings.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

"many of the players in the WNBA and media"

name 3

you're fighting ghosts

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street

Jemele Hill making stupid comments, nothing new here.

Apparently some people are incapable of recognizing athleticism except in comparison to men. Here's a newsflash, Roger Bannister ran the first 4 minute mile in 1954, 70 years ago. To date, no women has run a 4 minute mile. That doesn't mean that women aren't great runners. Or great athletes. They're just not as fast as men. Or as strong. Or as big. Get over it already.

Seriously; it's basic science/biology.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
30 points for Caitlin Clark in a 6-point loss to LA. Indiana is 1-7.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad